closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Le Mans 2023

Le Mans 2023

Who’s watching?

The excitement just kicked in with qualifying on earlier and the night session now underway on Eurosport 2.

The new HyperCars look and sound brilliant. Ferrari nailing it in their first year by the looks of it.

Unfortunately I'm not going to have the time to watch any coverage until the weekend itself, though I'll be gorging on it when it comes.

Three of us have already got the beers in and all the BBQ food will be bought later. There'll be at least three screens on showing the race, track positions and so on and a spotters guide will be pinned up with The Marker Of Doom set aside to strike off cars as they drop out.

It's going to be a fun, if somewhat sleep deprived, weekend!

Master
    Yes, will be watching on TV with some mates. A few of us are gathering for the weekend for racing, drinking and eating.

Pete

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the weather it looks like it could be very wet at times.

Now looking clear for Sunday but still thunderstorms Fri/ Sat
    Last edited by hilly10; 8th June 2023 at 07:35.

My son’s just prep’d his car for the trip…

I went nearly every year from 2005 to 2018. Then I started a family and haven’t been since.

Planning to return next year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went 2003 to 2008 then 2011, 2013, and 2015 not been since. We always camped right next to the Track at Arnage Corner had some great French friends who looked after us food wise. My mate who we always went with now lives in Vass just 20 miles south of the circuit. Arnage Corner was redesigned and lost the camping close to the track, just not the same anymore. Will be watching on Eurosport with beer in hand.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic racing so close so early in the race. I don’t know if anyone has told them it’s 24hrs not a 60 lap sprint.

What a race so far!

Amazing action and incidents.

Kobyashi once again gets the brunt of the bad luck.

I’ll probably hit the hay at about 1am.

I'm still up, not sure on how much longer.

Gutted for the No.7 Toyota, and for the other cars taken out innocently. As I type the top 3 are covered by seconds, it was the top four though the lead Peugeot has just stacked it!

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Who’s watching? Ferrari nailing it in their first year by the looks of it.
    Yay ! Ferrari wins the 100th running of the 24Hrs du Mans, 58 years after their last victory !

PS - Pity the 499P (and all the current batch of Hypercars) are so damned fugly, compared to the P cars of the 1960's and 1970's.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 12th June 2023 at 03:15.

58 years

Well done Ferrari

I bet they don’t have to wait for their Rolex
    Last edited by adrianw; 11th June 2023 at 15:34.

Most exciting 24 Hours I've seen in a couple of decades, I reckon.

Off to Monza next month, so that should be fun!

Next year should be pretty incredible with BMW, Lamborghini and Alpine joining in, plus a couple more privateer Hypercars and maybe even Honda/Accura.

Make the most of it, though, as I can't see manufacturers hanging around for long if they're not scooping the wins.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 11th June 2023 at 16:19.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    It was a great race; currently wending my way home and in recovery from week long excesses.

However, the ACO tarnished its image somewhat by selling more tickets than usual without increasing vital facilities. The queues for toilets were exceptionally long. Even the members enclosures were overwhelmed (people were being held outside on a one in one out basis at times).

Nevertheless, I’ll be back….!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    It was a great race; currently wending my way home and in recovery from week long excesses.

However, the ACO tarnished its image somewhat by selling more tickets than usual without increasing vital facilities. The queues for toilets were exceptionally long. Even the members enclosures were overwhelmed (people were being held outside on a one in one out basis at times).

Nevertheless, I’ll be back….!

I believe it was a PH thread on LM24 that put me off attending ever based on facilities and the fact the general public seem to be filthy animals!

I did watch a few hours of it, but with so many classes on track, find it really hard to follow tbh.

I might go next year, was last there in 2002 but might tow a portaloo this time!
    Do tickets go on sale around October time?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I might go next year, was last there in 2002 but might tow a portaloo this time!
    Do tickets go on sale around October time?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    They do indeed. It is worth joining the ACO if you intend to go. You will not only be warned of impending ticket issue, but will also get discounts on tickets, camping and access to the member areas (where the food and drink are (marginally) cheaper)

Tickets cost 65 Euros for access to the Course from Wednesday to Sunday, and camping pitch for the week was circa 100 Euros. I was there as part of a big bunch though.

Master

Le Mans 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I believe it was a PH thread on LM24 that put me off attending ever based on facilities and the fact the general public seem to be filthy animals!

I did watch a few hours of it, but with so many classes on track, find it really hard to follow tbh.
    Fortunately the site I was in had cleaners around every hour to our toilet and shower block. Frankly, occasionally, given the state some people left the traps, that was not often enough.

Well worth listening to Le Mans radio whilst watching. The lit dots on the car sides are also a clue to who is in the first 3 places in each class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in
    Last edited by Pete D; 13th June 2023 at 20:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Fortunately the site I was in had cleaners around every hour to our toilet and shower block. Frankly, occasionally, given the state some people left the traps, that was not often enough.

Well worth listening to Le Mans radio whilst watching. The lit dots on the car sides are also a clue to who is in the first 3 places in each class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in
    Hadn’t thought of the radio option, and never knew about the lights - thank you!

I will now forget for next year!

An excellent result for the ACO and FIA, giving Toyota a weight penalty which, over the course of 24 hours, equated to something like two-and-a-half minutes slower than the Ferrari (I believe the FIA weren't going to apply any weight penalties until after Le Mans). I think Toyota lost by 90 seconds. The new CEO is apparently furious. Had Toyota not been at Le Mans these last few years, there wouldn't have been a proper manufacturer (I don't think we can count Glickenhaus) in the top class, and this year was their chance to fight a few peoper opponents for the win. Except Ferrari was given a break.

Not that it's worth worrying about who wins Le Mans, I go for the cheese, wine, fantastic roads and to just be in France for a few days.

On the downside I've now seen Andy Tims sitting in a camping chair in just his y-fronts. No one needs to see that. No one.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I go for the cheese
    ... says a man who insists on bringing English cheese with him whenever he goes to France!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    ... says a man who insists on bringing English cheese with him whenever he goes to France!
    Philistine.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    An excellent result for the ACO and FIA, giving Toyota a weight penalty which, over the course of 24 hours, equated to something like two-and-a-half minutes slower than the Ferrari (I believe the FIA weren't going to apply any weight penalties until after Le Mans). I think Toyota lost by 90 seconds. The new CEO is apparently furious. Had Toyota not been at Le Mans these last few years, there wouldn't have been a proper manufacturer (I don't think we can count Glickenhaus) in the top class, and this year was their chance to fight a few peoper opponents for the win. Except Ferrari was given a break.

Not that it's worth worrying about who wins Le Mans, I go for the cheese, wine, fantastic roads and to just be in France for a few days.

On the downside I've now seen Andy Tims sitting in a camping chair in just his y-fronts. No one needs to see that. No one.
    I didn’t know about the weight penalties, it turns out they gave them to four teams, and still the Peugeot didn’t win, the ACO has form for this

I was there in 2010 when 3x safety cars were dispatched from their allocated points around the circuit in the early laps. The officials waited until the lead Peugots went past with something like a 10second lead, then sent the safety cars out directly in front of the Audis. The restart gave Peugot an easy 2-minute lead with 23.5 hours left to go.
    In the end none the Peugots finished, and audi won anyway.

It made the Audi victory even more enjoyable.
    Toyota on the other hand, can't seem to get the breaks.