closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Resin Driveway

Resin Driveway

Hi there.

We are looking at having a resin driveway installed.

It is circa 130sqm and will need a new base. We are unsure whether tarmac base, or concrete is better. Quotes conflict and wonder if anyone here has had or got one.

Any things to check with contractors beforehand.

Thanks

Master
    We have a resin drive and had tarmac underneath, had no issues at all.

Only thing to consider is any drain covers you may have. Ours has a resin infill so is very much invisible aside from a thin metal edging between frame and drain.

The resin needs to be laid when there is no chance of moisture until cured and can’t be walked on either. They will know this though.

Planning how to get in & out the house required ladders and clambering fences, along with signs as the post man just ignored the previous tape placed along the perimeter.

Not cheap to do, but we are glad we did it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We have a resin drive and had tarmac underneath, had no issues at all.

Only thing to consider is any drain covers you may have. Ours has a resin infill so is very much invisible aside from a thin metal edging between frame and drain.

The resin needs to be laid when there is no chance of moisture until cured and can’t be walked on either. They will know this though.

Planning how to get in & out the house required ladders and clambering fences, along with signs as the post man just ignored the previous tape placed along the perimeter.

Not cheap to do, but we are glad we did it.
    Looks a great job that does.

Master
    One of the main benefits of resin is it is water permeable as tarmac can be too but not concrete. My lay opinion would therefore be that concrete would seem very unsuitable.

Resin bound or resin bonded? Resin bound is a permeable surface covering and comes with a build up specific to the permeable qualities of the surface. The system shown above will undoubtedly be resin bonded and surface water will run off to the pavement which is something we should all be avoiding if possible.

Tarmac basecoat only, lay a concrete base and unless FULLY permeable you will have issues with drainage and freeze/thaw expansion damage.

Tarmac base below this, drains perfectly and looks great years later.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Resin bound or resin bonded? Resin bound is a permeable surface covering and comes with a build up specific to the permeable qualities of the surface. The system shown above will undoubtedly be resin bonded and surface water will run off to the pavement which is something we should all be avoiding if possible.
    Looks resin bound to me and that basecoat of tarmac will drain perfectly in my experience, I doubt there is even a drop of runoff on to the pavement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Looks resin bound to me and that basecoat of tarmac will drain perfectly in my experience, I doubt there is even a drop of runoff on to the pavement.
    100% correct. I can empty a bucket of water onto it & it won’t reach the pavement despite being a sloped driveway.

Ours is only small but concrete poured onto iron grids and the resin on top. Done a year ago almost and two stones have come out recently. Not sure how but a heat gun would probably get them back in. Happy so far and would probably get the same again.

Tarmac sinks ,concrete doesn’t,I’d concrete and install accos for the drainage.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

Even if compacted and laid correctly over substrates?

Craftsman
    I personally would recommend laying on top of tarmac to allow water to drain through. Having said that, I have resin laid on top of concrete and get pooling in heavy rain.

If done correctly it shouldn’t sink ,but the amount of drives you see that are all over the place I wouldn’t trust it.
    Are the resin company also doing the base.

No. Not if done properly they won't.

Concerns relate to improper build up or former areas with tree growth and clay substrate which display heave in the first few years following removal of trees etc. For this reason I left my tarmac base coat in place for 3 years before I laid the resin as I'd removed a lot of old growth and a couple of trees. It's like a billiard table.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post

Tarmac can sink, concrete can also sink, or more likely crack which will crack the resin in a like fashion.

It's all about the build up and a proper preparation prior will ensure a permanently good job.

Go off a good solid recommendation and ideally go and see jobs they completed a few years prior. Let me know your location and I can recommend a company if suitable.

Tarmac can sink, concrete can also sink, or more likely crack which will crack the resin in a like fashion.

It's all about the build up and a proper preparation prior will ensure a permanently good job.

Go off a good solid recommendation and ideally go and see jobs they completed a few years prior. Let me know your location and I can recommend a company if suitable.
    Thanks we are based in Shrewsbury.

Have had a quote for circa £15K, including full dig up.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    I personally would recommend laying on top of tarmac to allow water to drain through. Having said that, I have resin laid on top of concrete and get pooling in heavy rain.
    Did you consider having holes drilled in your concrete, after it had dried, maybe 2m apart, down to soil, before having the resin laid? Do you think that would've avoided the pooling you see now?

Also, do you have drain channels for that pooled water to find its way to?

This wouldn't work as the holes would get clogged by micro debris washing through. Then you get pooling and freezing and cracked resin. I'm talking from experience.

You must have a fully permeable subbase.

This wouldn't work as the holes would get clogged by micro debris washing through. Then you get pooling and freezing and cracked resin. I'm talking from experience.

You must have a fully permeable subbase.
    Interesting, thanks, all makes sense. Cracked resin sounds scary - did you have to get everything re-done as a result? From my reading on resin a year or so ago, it didn't seem possible (or easy) to fix a localised area.

It seems permeable tarmac is definitely the way to go then. You also see drainage channels (gravel?) in some gardens where there is a natural slope, though not sure if this carries other concerns.

My issues are on the pathways in my garden where I have a concrete subbase with loads of drilled holes. I've got a bit of cracking but it's barely noticeable and can be repaired with resin if I wanted.

This is the worst the others aren't visible in the summer.

My issues are on the pathways in my garden where I have a concrete subbase with loads of drilled holes. I've got a bit of cracking but it's barely noticeable and can be repaired with resin if I wanted.
    Thank you for the photos. I had imagined a lot worse (cartoon style road cracking and opening up) when you mentioned it. It doesn't seem so bad, providing it doesn't continue to get worse....

Regardless, you have a very impressive and neat garden - kudos to you or your gardener!

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Thank you for the photos. I had imagined a lot worse (cartoon style road cracking and opening up) when you mentioned it. It doesn't seem so bad, providing it doesn't continue to get worse....

Regardless, you have a very impressive and neat garden - kudos to you or your gardener!
    I can attest to JC180 being a perfectionist and his house and garden amazing and attention to detail magnificent. I knew it wouldn’t be long before he chimed in on this thread. Follow his advice and you won’t go wrong.

Master

Any in Scotland(Glasgow) you would recommend ?
    Need the driveway redone and it's on a fair old slope.
    Assuming it's not slippy as it doesn't look it

Dan, if you want something just pick of the phone, no need to lay it on thick ;-)

I would only recommend someone I've used and been happy with. This is Soft Surfaces in Wilmslow, particularly Nick Davis. Well priced, highly skilled and competent as well as honest.

He will probably deal with Shropshire, not sure about Glasgow but worth a call. They might even be able to recommend someone more local to you.

Master
    Dan, if you want something just pick of the phone, no need to lay it on thick ;-)

I would only recommend someone I've used and been happy with. This is Soft Surfaces in Wilmslow, particularly Nick Davis. Well priced, highly skilled and competent as well as honest.

He will probably deal with Shropshire, not sure about Glasgow but worth a call. They might even be able to recommend someone more local to you.
    Thanks