closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Morocco - cash withdrawals?

Craftsman

Morocco - cash withdrawals?

I will be travelling across Europe for a couple of months and then heading over to Morocco for about 4 - 6 weeks.

From what I've read the country has a 'closed' currency in that I cannot buy dirhams before I arrive.

In an attempt to minimise card fees I am trying to find a card that I can take that will work - my plan is to arrive in Tangier Med and then take a chunk of cash out (this seems to be a country where 'cash is King'?).

I do have a Halifax Clarity card that works well over France, Spain, etc but not sure about Morocco.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Master
    Revolut ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get something new to avoid fees but your current bank card will work fine and the fees aren't big if you're taking out "a chunk".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Revolut ?

No, just no.

When I was last in Morocco I could draw cash easily enough at an ATM, but no-one wanted dirhams they all asked for Euro so I would be cautious about drawing a lot of local currency until you see how the situation is there.

Craftsman
    My standard approach to travel of this type is to use my Monzo or Starling cards to withdraw money from ATMs if I need to get cash. Seems to get me the best rate.

Far prefer to just use my cards in shops and make sure not to allow them to select DCC (Direct Currency Conversion) which gets you a really terrible exchange rate compared with the spot rate of the day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    No, just no.
    What’s wrong with Revolut ? I’ve used it the last 2 weeks in Florida and it’s been great.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Freddie has just got back he had trouble at the toll booths the day before this, it may give you some idea he says cash but found it hard to get.
    It seems best to get it in a major town before setting off.

Craftsman
    Many thanks for the replies.

I have watched a fair few You Tubers who have shown that cash is preferred by many so I will take my usual cards. Having done a little more reading on the subject I will get a Chase card which I believe allows up to £1500 per month fee free on ATM withdrawals.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    When I was last in Morocco I could draw cash easily enough at an ATM, but no-one wanted dirhams they all asked for Euro so I would be cautious about drawing a lot of local currency until you see how the situation is there.
    Conversely, I was just watching a Freddie Dobbs YouTube video and he found that nobody took cards and everybody wanted local currency.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wife was there in Janurary,cash was king .Only used card to get local currency.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Conversely, I was just watching a Freddie Dobbs YouTube video and he found that nobody took cards and everybody wanted local currency.
    The video I posted above LTF.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    What’s wrong with Revolut ? I’ve used it the last 2 weeks in Florida and it’s been great.

I have used my Revolut in Australia NZ French Polynesia and Hawaii in the last 6 weeks with no fees and top exchange rate. Brilliant card for travellers.

I used my Chase card all over Morocco this year. No problems whatsoever. Most cash machines will charge a small fee for withdrawals though. Dirhams cash is definitely king.

Always used dirhams in shops, restaurants etc though never 'swanky' establishments, card maybe for autoroute/fuel. Think exchange rate not great if trying to use dollars/euros as some suggest (and GBP always a 3rd/4th choice)

No problem using any debit card to withdraw cash - some street machines will even exchange GBP (or others) for MAD.