closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying motorcycle jacket from EU to UK - import costs?

Buying motorcycle jacket from EU to UK - import costs?

Anyone know what it would be or if there are any lower rates for 'protective clothing' as opposed to 'high street' clothing?

Selling price is £170.
    Last edited by Max...; 6th June 2023 at 15:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Anyone know what it would be or if there are any lower rates for 'protective clothing' as opposed to 'high street' clothing?

Selling price is £175.
    Lots buy kit from Germany as it’s cheaper but just remember to make sure the item fits you before ordering as sending it back and forth gets expensive, also some of the brands won’t entertain any warranty work on kit bought abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Buying motorcycle jacket from EU to UK - import costs?

Deleted
    Last edited by joe narvey; 6th June 2023 at 17:35. Reason: Deleted deleted

Depending upon the seller they will either pay the UK VAT for you (in lieu of EU VAT) or they will ship it deducting the EU VAT and you will pay the UK VAT on arrival, plus a handling fee to the carrier.

If the clothes are not made in the UK then there will be a tariff on import (10-12%).

If you are buying 2nd hand then you will pay UK VAT on import and won't have the benefit of the removal of EU VAT on export.

Overall, there shouldn't really be much hidden costs if you are buying EU made kit from a regular business.

As others have warned watch the size and also I guess the quality as returns will be far trickier now.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Depending upon the seller they will either pay the UK VAT for you (in lieu of EU VAT) or they will ship it deducting the EU VAT and you will pay the UK VAT on arrival, plus a handling fee to the carrier.

If the clothes are not made in the UK then there will be a tariff on import (10-12%).

If you are buying 2nd hand then you will pay UK VAT on import and won't have the benefit of the removal of EU VAT on export.

Overall, there shouldn't really be much hidden costs if you are buying EU made kit from a regular business.

As others have warned watch the size and also I guess the quality as returns will be far trickier now.
    Thanks - price is £170 net of of EU VAT so there will be 30 to 32% total tax plus a handling charge if I read you correctly?

So £54 and FedEx charge £13 handling on top - blimey...
    Last edited by Max...; 6th June 2023 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Thanks - price is £170 net of of EU VAT so there will be 30 to 32% total tax plus a handling charge if I read you correctly?

So £54 and FedEx charge £13 handling on top - blimey...
    Possibly... if it is made in the EU then should just be the UK VAT and charges so a bit less than that. If it is boots or a helmet then there isn't UK VAT, but not sure if FedEx will not just charge VAT anyway.

Just to close it off and for anyone else interested - worked out great in the end and superb service from Chromeburner in the Netherlands, ordered Thursday, delivered Monday.

Helstons jacket at £170 + £34 tax + £10 FedEx charge so £214 against £280 UK best price.

Possibly... if it is made in the EU then should just be the UK VAT and charges so a bit less than that. If it is boots or a helmet then there isn't UK VAT, but not sure if FedEx will not just charge VAT anyway.
    There should be VAT on boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There should be VAT on boots.
    Sorry - you are right, I thought they were classed as "safety boots" but they have to be industrial for that not mc

Sorry - you are right, I thought they were classed as "safety boots" but they have to be industrial for that not mc
    Yes "industrial" safety boots only.

Crazy some of the rules - no VAT on safety boots but there is on safety shoes etc