closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GB Wildlife Hatchet vs Outdoor Axe

Master
    Blog Entries

GB Wildlife Hatchet vs Outdoor Axe

I am sure some members have one (maybe both) of these axes/hatchets and I'd be interested in your opinions of them. I'm looking to get one and might buy both and send one back (which is a major PITA) but I'd love to hear feedback from people using them

Majority of the use would be taking cut blocks of wood and cutting into smaller sections. I'm sure the Splitting Hatchet would be a better option than either but I might use it for other things so a bit of flexibility would be nice.

I know the Fiskars X7 would be the practical, cheaper alternative but let's assume I want to spend an unnecessary amount of money on something that looks nice...

I have the small forest axe and the small hatchet (slightly smaller than the wildlife). Both would do the job for your stated use. I use the hatchet for all those tasks where people speak of batoning their knives.
    The small forest is a proper axe, very versatile.
    The wildlife is meant to be use for game prep as well I believe (rounded butt, unlike the small)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks S-J, I was hoping you'd reply

I have no interest in batonning with a knife (actively looking to avoid it) so good to hear either would be up to it. I was considering the SmallFA too but would this be overkill for splitting kindling? Is choking up for a one handed grip more cumbersome than using a shorter axe.

Do you have the small (often called mini?) hatchet or the hand hatchet? The latter looks lovely but an accident waiting to happen (skinned knuckles in my case)

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Thanks S-J, I was hoping you'd reply

I have no interest in batonning with a knife (actively looking to avoid it) so good to hear either would be up to it. I was considering the SmallFA too but would this be overkill for splitting kindling? Is choking up for a one handed grip more cumbersome than using a shorter axe.

Do you have the small (often called mini?) hatchet or the hand hatchet? The latter looks lovely but an accident waiting to happen (skinned knuckles in my case)
    It's the very cute Mini. I always called it like that but to avoid confusion I checked on GB website and they call it the small.
    I read that the wildlife has the same head as the hand hatchet now so my previous claim about the butt being rounded may not be accurate anymore. In the old tradition, I would suggest the old BB motto (Buy Both).
    If your main goal is kindling then the wildlife is probably perfect, can do a big job if needed but perfectly suited for small to medium ones. but if you have to split the log first the SFA is superb.

Can I just say that I have always used Hultafors axes (although I now also have a Husqvarna splitting maul, which is also great) and I have found them to be excellent.
    I have their largest felling axe and one of their larger hatchets (900g). Combined they cost less than any GB axe/hatchet.
    Although I have no ownership experience of GB, my query would be whether they are worth the extra?
    I am not sure. Most comparative reviewers seem to equate both products, but Hultafors can be significantly less costly.
    They also fill a few holes in the range, with a large choice of weights and handle lengths to choose from.

regardless of your choice, I recommend that you should shop around, the recent Husqvarna purchase was at about 60% of the cost other outlets were stocking it at.

D

Master

I use an Estwing leather handled camping axe. No complaints. I find it a good all rounder for the great outdoors.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

Although I have no ownership experience of GB, my query would be whether they are worth the extra?
    I am not sure.

D
    Thank you for your comments, and I will look at the Husq range (which I imagine will be easier to see in a shop, a big bonus)

Worth the extra? Is Rolex worth the extra over Omega, is an automatic worth the extra over quartz? Maybe not but the difference is maybe £100 which in Watch terms is nothing. For a one-off axe purchase I can live with that.

S-J - you mean “buy all three” I’m sure, adding the SFA too ;-)

I have no experience with either of the axes you mention. I made my axe. There's a few experience days out there now where you can visit a forge and be guided/assisted in making your own axe, knife, etc... It was a great day out. So much fun in fact I'm booking a 2 day course to make a Damascus kitchen knife.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Actually I think the wildlife and the Mini would be a little redundant… even if I lusted for the wildlife for a slight bigger axe. Then someone showed me the SFA.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I have no experience with either of the axes you mention. I made my axe. There's a few experience days out there now where you can visit a forge and be guided/assisted in making your own axe, knife, etc... It was a great day out. So much fun in fact I'm booking a 2 day course to make a Damascus kitchen knife.
    Looks good - must be satisfying to use one you've made for yourself.