closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best holiday watches

The best holiday watches

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and I'm toying with what watch to take.

To me, a holiday watch needs to:
    - be water resistant
    - not be too attention grabbing
    - be suitable for the frictional elements of sand and sea water
    - not have a leather strap

In an ideal world, depending on your trip and destination, a holiday watch may need to:
    - tell a second, maybe even third time zone
    - offer an extendible bracelet

As I'm off tomorrow, I'm considering
    1. Tornek Rayville TR660 on nato
    2. Breathing Aerospace night mission on rubber

What are other peoples key attributes for a holiday watch, and go to pieces?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

2nd time zone
    Quick change home time
    Good lume
    Rubber strap or nato
    Robust
    Timing bezel is a nice to have
    Non reflective coating / PVD
    The seiko SUN023 is my go to holiday watch and will be the last watch I ever get rid of due to the memories.
    It’s also a watch I wanted as soon as it was released so it satisfies the WIS in me.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd June 2023 at 22:05.

Master
    My holiday watch

Admittedly not the most hostile environment, but it does quite nicely on the beach/by the pool. GMT, Ti so light and comfy, micro adjust on the clasp (cocktail stick required which is OK as I'm in the bar a lot) plus 2 x 1/2 links, cheap enough that it's not the end of the world if I damage/lose it, and other than the bezel it's quite low profile (compared to a high end Swiss brand)
    There are lots of similar from Quale, Glycine and others.

Something tough, in style as well as able to handle sand, water and heat and still look good a new.
    Interesting but not shouty.
    Affordable not luxury, which I know is subjective.
    Good legibility for when squinting into the sun.
    Drilled lugs
    Lume

My contender is the Damasko DA38, which looks better on the wrist than my photos show

IMG_7388.jpg

My trusty Casio DW5600, doesn’t matter what happens to it as it’s literally bomb proof!

Master
    This, because I loathe it and don’t care if I batter it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post

My contender is the Damasko DA38, which looks better on the wrist than my photos show

IMG_7388.jpg
    I would wear mine on a Nick Mankey strap and I think the whole combo was under 60g, and very slim.

I'm just going to throw this out there as an answer, as I do to most watch questions asked recently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it were a driving holiday or a UK trip I'd wear whatever I fancied.

F91W if it's a rowdy city break.

I always wear my quartz Seamaster SMP. It has a separately moveable hour hand so easy to change time zones going out and coming home

Looks great, nice and water resistant and brilliant lume for use on a bedside table too.

BTW OP, like your Tornek.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Mine is the Clemence Photic Diver, a microbrand. Good water resistance, bracelet has a divers extension which I use as a micro- adjust system, drilled lugs, spare rubber strap and strap tool. It's not a GMT, but at it's price point I think that's not unreasonable.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bonny Marco; 3rd June 2023 at 15:35.

I’ve now decided to take these two.

Recently bought a G-Shock GW5000-U which I’ll use for the beach days. In saying that, I’m still cautious about getting sunscreen on the rubber but I’m sure it’ll be just fine if I wash it afterwards

Also, I think the Baby Dreadnought could fit the bill nicely.

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 3rd June 2023 at 17:17.

Usually always these two with a third depending where we’re going. Used to always bring a G-Shock for the beach but Garmin seems to do that job now.

Cheerful

Grand Master
    One the thieves dont want.

This has been on holiday duty this week

Good size, white dial for the sunshine, not showy, second time zone (although my destination is in the same one!), WR, rubber strap with a clasp for zero faff and easy to clean.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I mostly take my Seiko solar diver,its rugged, reliable, keeps good time and takes 20mm straps which I also like.

Sometimes I take my Smiths 29B as well,though I am far more careful with it.

Though the Seiko isn't expensive I wouldnt want to lose it as its become a bit of companion/charm on many road trips.

For beach and pool duties, it’s a yellow G Shock CasioOak. For my 2 weeks in Toronto and Chicago this week, I think I’m taking the 16610 and the Dornbluth 99.1M. There is a wedding, and I need to posh up a bit. I’m tempted to take the 16570, but hacking the Sub isn’t a disaster, and my brain can do the maths for a 5h time difference. The Aerospace I used to have was a very good travel watch. Highly tempted by an SBGN003, but I don’t need one.

D

Taking

Was good

Want

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I mostly take my Seiko solar diver,its rugged, reliable, keeps good time and takes 20mm straps which I also like.

Though the Seiko isn't expensive I wouldnt want to lose it as its become a bit of companion/charm on many road trips.

I rather like that - especially with the black date wheel. What is the model number please?
    Thanks

Craftsman
    On my last two long trips away - motorhoming (in which I definitely don’t have to ‘dress for dinner’!) across France and Spain - I’ve found this CWC GS to be perfect for my use. Grab n go quartz, light and slim on the wrist, reasonable lume and 200m water resistant.

Last edited by Eddiex; 5th June 2023 at 19:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I rather like that - especially with the black date wheel. What is the model number please?
    Thanks
    seiko solar 6n2195

I cant find it by googling though.

It’s funny how many people want a GMT on holiday. The last thing I want to know, when I’m away, is the time back home!

This, because it's half the price of a Damasko (which is half the price of a Sinn), yet just as scratch-resistant, smallish, slimish, super-comfy, and a nice bright cheerful colour -

And it can be yours for peanuts - 'cos I've spent too much on watches to be able to actually afford a sodding holiday...

Blog Entries
    I’d probably wear this, unknown in the wild, dual time in case I want to call them back home, and exquisite finish. I’d need to get a good rubber strap to go with the 60m wrt.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th June 2023 at 23:04.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Titanium Oceanus ticked all the boxes last year.

The Seamaster 120 multifunction would too (both have bracelets, second time zones etc.).

But I've now come to terms with the fact that I want more than one watch with me - so it will almost certainly be the Garmin solar (on Nick Mankey strap) for during the day and something else for the evenings.

Last edited by gunner; 6th June 2023 at 07:58.

I am quite surprised that not many people take chronographs.
    With the kids we were always timing things over a holiday - who can swim there and back quickest over the week, "How long is this queue?" sweepstakes, can you just STFU for 15 minutes? etc etc.
    I almost always take this as one of mine, or my Tutima Commando. The Bremont dresses up a little better though if we go out for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’d probably wear this, unknown in the wild, dual time in case I want to call them back home, and exquisite finish. I’d need to get a good rubber strap to go with the 60m wrt.

Very brave, not sure I’d be taking mine to the beach or pool with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I bought this to be a holiday watch but wear it most days regardless. Damasko diver proving indestructible, on a rubber Hersch strap - both with a splash of sunshine yellow.

Master
    Zelos Abyss...

Rock hard
    Awesome lume
    Water resistant enough to visit the Titanic
    Rock hard
    Legible
    Nice but not flashy
    Rock hard

Craftsman
    This for me, 656 200m wr, tough as old flip flops, simple, reliable and straightforward as corn flakes...

Blog Entries
    This will be my summer 23 main holiday watch

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Guess it depends on the type of holiday, we’re in the US this summer, I’ll be using this which is my only watch currently; 36mm, versatile, understated but I think the white dial adds a touch of summer, quick release rubber strap & steel bracelet so I can switch between the two depending on what I’m doing ie and water stuff or dinner out, and 150m WR.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I always wear my quartz Seamaster SMP. It has a separately moveable hour hand so easy to change time zones going out and coming home

Looks great, nice and water resistant and brilliant lume for use on a bedside table too.

BTW OP, like your Tornek.

Ditto although mine is the blue SMP 300. Lume not as good as this one but it’ll do for me

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Here's mine. I wore it last month while in HK and took it with me to Thailand last week. I swapped the strap over to a bkue sailcloth from Amazon.com

I also took wore the Tudor Pelagos 39 on its rubber strap for the when doing beach and water activities.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    It’s funny how many people want a GMT on holiday. The last thing I want to know, when I’m away, is the time back home!

Indeed, it takes seconds to set a watch to local time anyway. Even if you need to think of the time back home it's a nanosecond mental calculation. I take my CWC with 3 nylon Natos, one on, one drying after being washed, one ready to go on.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Really depends where

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Guess it depends on the type of holiday, we’re in the US this summer, I’ll be using this which is my only watch currently; 36mm, versatile, understated but I think the white dial adds a touch of summer, quick release rubber strap & steel bracelet so I can switch between the two depending on what I’m doing ie and water stuff or dinner out, and 150m WR.

Couldn't agree more, just add a Barton Elite white silicone strap and even more summer holiday!
    Cheers, John B4
    can't do pics :-(

I like to keep it simple, robust and low risk.

Sub homage from a brand with a bit of heritage.

Master
    How about the 1968 Diver’s Modern Re-interpretation GMT? GMT, 200m water resistant, "under the radar"...

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/p...1968_gmt/index

simon

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    How about the 1968 Diver’s Modern Re-interpretation GMT? GMT, 200m water resistant, "under the radar"...

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/p...1968_gmt/index

simon
    For me this is the ultimate demonstration of Seiko's ability to snatch a failure from the jaws of victory.
    This is their first use of an office GMT function.
    Huh?
    Seiko is renowned for being the only manufacturer other than Rolex to have always used the traveller GMT setting method, which is to their credit.
    So I found it especially sad that they abandoned it for this, their near perfect travel watch.

Master
    This for the evenings:

This for through the day at pool/beach etc:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Indeed, it takes seconds to set a watch to local time anyway. Even if you need to think of the time back home it's a nanosecond mental calculation. I take my CWC with 3 nylon Natos, one on, one drying after being washed, one ready to go on.

What a great colour combo for the RN diver, never really looked at this shade of strap for mine....guessing it's classed as Coyote, could I ask where you got it from as I'm thinking I might pick one up now after seeing your photo.

I did Canada earlier in the year with my 5-digit polar explorer and Garmin Fenix, (no pics but we all know what they look like), and I’m seeing a similar theme repeated a number of times in this great thread.

I wonder if the Garmin had come first whether I would ever have wandered down this particular rabbit hole of pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I wonder if the Garmin had come first whether I would ever have wandered down this particular rabbit hole of pleasure.
    Certainly limiting my interest in G-shocks...

I’ve got one G-Shock left and haven’t worn it in over a year. In any situation I would normally have worn one I wear a Garmin.

The Garmin are in another league in terms of usability and fitness tracking IMHO. 9 day battery life too (longer with the solar charging of course).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    The Garmin are in another league in terms of usability and fitness tracking IMHO. 9 day battery life too (longer with the solar charging of course).
    Up to 37 days in smartwatch mode for my 7x Sapphire Solar😁

Master
    Plenty of LX/Hrs today to keep the battery drain to a minimum:

Grand Master
    My holiday watches and everyday watches are no different .. I just wear whatever I feel like, but as I am always in t-shirt and shorts, regardless of time of year, life is one big holiday :)
    /vince ..