closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: is this autavia over-polished?

Journeyman

is this autavia over-polished?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155569854003

my first impression is that the edges aren't particularly sharp. I'm wondering if it's really as bad as I think

Looks like it. Could do with a full case refurb.

Craftsman
    This is one I'd like to see in the flesh - the lines look nicer in the side shots then the top down and head-on pictures. To my eye, it looks like the shots aren't great, so the case is getting hit with too much light which is bleaching out the definition in the cases lines. I think it's really easy to be overly critical of vintage watches, and this could be a nice wearable example.

(Ah, just saw it's located in Brazil - not Brighton!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    The close-up shot of the reference made me notice that the triangle at 12 on the ebay watch is narrower than the one on the reference. The typeface of the numerals on the reference bezel also looks slightly different. There is one example with a narrow triangle on chrono24, albeit with a tachymeter bezel. Not sure what to think.

Craftsman
    I’ve got this in my watch list too, but only to see how much it makes. The bezel’s been swapped for what appears to be one from an earlier model, and the case has certainly seen some action (as does all of it), and the lugs have lost their chamfer on the top outside edges.
    The dial’s been replaced as the text is incorrect (and should state Autavia).
    And don’t forget to add ~26% for VAT and import duty to the final price.

That said, if it’s cheap and reliable it might make an interesting watch to wear regularly in its current condition. It obviously needs many parts to be pristine, if that’s your plan. I think I’d need to see it in real life before buying though. There appear to be a number of places making Heuer parts in Brazil, especially dials, so I’d be wary of that too.