closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bremont Viper

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    it looks like a prototype, that is what it makes me think of anyway.
    That’s the point it is a nod to the testing.

Master
    That’s a cool watch. I’ve had enough Bell & Ross watches over the years - quirky is good. If it was an option with a black dial, that would be my preference. Wear and enjoy it in good health.

Number 69 😃

Master
    i wouldnt buy it but i can see why someone would and i'm glad something like this exists,

personally i would have preferred a ceramic case rather than coated titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Sorry - this things are of course personal, but I really hate that! I hate the shape, I hate the hands, I really really hate the print on the dial! And what's worse is that whilst the invidiual parts are awful, they don't seem in any way to match each other. I don't know how Bremont stylists think, but all their recent products look dreadful to me.
    You should change your username to MrReallyF***ingGrumpy

Sorry - this things are of course personal, but I really hate that! I hate the shape, I hate the hands, I really really hate the print on the dial! And what's worse is that whilst the invidiual parts are awful, they don't seem in any way to match each other. I don't know how Bremont stylists think, but all their recent products look dreadful to me.
    That's the market they're aiming for.

Grand Master
    And what's worse is that whilst the invidiual parts are awful, they don't seem in any way to match each other.

If it doesn't match it matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    it looks like a prototype, that is what it makes me think of anyway.
    Many years ago we came to the conclusion that in the future we (the fans) will all be wearing prototypes. The Bremont Viper is just the beginning.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Not my cuppa but this is one of very few watches I have found at least interesting in the last couple of years. Would be nice to see more watchmakers having a little fun with their watches. More stuff like this might re-elevate my interest in watches back to where it once used to be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    If you like....I can assure you that what I posted is the polite sweeetened version of what I think of it! I'd rather have one of Invicta's more way out creations - at least they are fun, and rather cheaper than Bremont!

Grand Master

The Bremont Viper

Im not on my first rodeo with watches. I started collecting in 1994 and wrote articles on Panerai and Rolex in the late 90's and 00's then traded independently before setting up and running Blowers in Mayfair so ive been around and have alot of exposure.

I went to the launch blind knowing only part of the trials and left the evening with similar less than positive views like the comments on here. But then i reflected and soaked and thought/think this is a bloody great watch. It shouldn't work but it does. I said the same 'if it was a black dial' then realised black would be ok but dull. I too wanted more conservative hands but then realised thats what makes it mad. If it dont match it does and whilst everyone might feel its great / not great its,in my opinion, an absolute belter of a watch in so many unconventional ways.

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I don’t think even that does justice to his full potential:-)

Thank you 100thmonkey for the photos, which certainly provide greater justice and clarity than those I’ve previously seen, and congratulations on your purchase.

Whilst I started collecting around 1994 too, you have far more experience than I do and the last significant watch purchases I made were in 2018 (Bremont 1918, Rolex Milgauss & steel Daytona), so when I received the email about the Vulcan and Viper, I was enthused by the look of the Viper as a fun, Summer watch. If it had the regular movement I would not have considered a purchase, but after reading up about the development by THE+, I think it’s a good watch at a good price. I certainly appreciate it’s ‘Marmite’, and went to the Bremont Boutique in Mayfair, to be told how quickly the Vulcan had sold, but to me, it’s good Bremont have evolved to provide something more dramatic.

I had a long chat with a friend, who is a dealer I’ve known for the past 15+ years and felt even more confident the Viper is a worthwhile watch to add to my collection, so I placed an order about 3 weeks ago and look forward to the call when the watch is ready for collection.

Grand Master

A few more images taken today to show the profile and size comparison for those interested.

Love the hexi screwdriver. No more tool slippage. Shame other manufacturers don't do this with the lug screws oh wait a minute that might cost them 5p more and then they wouldn't be squeezing all the luxury out of you. .

RIAC

Grand Master
    And a few shots from the testing booklet which shows that whilst it's completely unnecessary, although at least we know it can survive these conditions. This company are going a lot further than most of the established luxury. Watch brands that just make sure the timekeeping is okay for you

RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Impressive figures.

Who did you serve with,looking at the Bremont was it Paras?

Grand Master

The Bremont Viper

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Impressive figures.

Who did you serve with,looking at the Bremont was it Paras?
    I was/am a Paratrooper and designed that 75th Anniversary watch and produced 75 of them for fellow Troopers.

Have a nice Black / Orange NATO inbound to really make it fresh and light
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 4th June 2023 at 13:51.
    RIAC

Thanks for the additional pictures. Interesting to see it side by side to a Sub.
    I’m hoping to see one on Thursday. It will be too big for me but that hasn’t stopped me before :)

Have to say it’s growing on me and I’ve been back in this thread a good few times to look at it.

I had some strong comments on the original Bremont thread (and still do re price) but it’s not the sort of thing you see every day and doesn’t blend in with anything else out there.

Not likely to go to the pub and see 10 guys with turkey teeth wearing one at the bar either.

Master
    I am a fan of Bremonts & have had a few but wasn't sure about this one...... but the review here and numerous return visits to the thread & i'm seriously considering ordering one.
    Enjoy yours!

Grand Master
    I would always encourage people to open their minds.

This is a nice review https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont...edition-watch/
    RIAC

and their wallets!

Genuine question if you don´t mind. If I´ve read correctly the orange bit is painted aluminium and the black bit has a coating of some sort...won´t that mean if it´s bumped, scratched it will mark up quite well, badly pov depending? Aluminium is pretty soft after all. How would you go about repolishing, refinishing such a thing? could you even...

Also only 100 metres wr, so fine for swimming, snorkelling but not for scuba...which seems a bit of a missed opportunity, like they didn´t want to go the extra hundred yards despite the price, even more so the hyped marketing claims ´´´Tested Beyond Endurance¨¨...doesn´t that seem a bit pony...false advertising almost...

Aesthetically haven´t Bell and Ross already mined this seam to exhaustion...

Just noticed, have they made a mistake in their marketing blurb...read the High Altitude Test spiel, isn´t that contradictory?
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th June 2023 at 09:59.

Grand Master

The Bremont Viper

I assume it will be as resilient as all of the other coloured aluminium models like on the MB series.

Regarding the PVD coating, I have no idea only time will tell, but all of these PVD finishes are tough to a point and easy to refinish If you like smashing your watches up, I don't know many people that go below 100 m. I doubt anybody with a deep sea has actually been below 100 m with the exception of about two people on this forum that are actually divers and most divers these days will use a dive computer.

What is really nice is that when you're dealing personally with a company that's based in Henley-on-Thames that you can drive to drop off and utilise you don't need to worry too much about the after sales. They are absolutely exemplary when it comes to providing for their customers, and I'm absolutely sure that if there's any problem with this watch during its first five years, there will be no problems replacing, and after that period a minimal cost, if it does get smashed up Personally, I tend not to smash up my watches every now and then they might suffer an unfortunate accident, but if they do that would be addressed like it is with all of them. I can't see it being any softer than a solid gold piece and I managed to keep those in fairly good condition very easily.

Your observation skills are impeccable and it is indeed square just like a bell and Ross , but if you look at a diagram of a bell and Ross , you'll see that the actual design is a little different, seems remarkable that when somebody produces a square watch such as this everybody starts to say oh doesn't it look like a bell & Ross ? Every single circular watch that looks exactly the same as every other circular watch doesn't get any comparison reference whatsoever!

If you can see a contradiction in the marketing blurb, perhaps give the guys a call at Bremont I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear from you.

Doubt opening your wallet will help I think they have sold out and just to clarify I did not for one minute buy this watch because of any of its testing claims I just find them an interesting bonus to it. I've bought the watch because I think it's quite funky and I really like it.
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 5th June 2023 at 10:39.
    RIAC

Thanks for the considered reply.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I assume it will be as resilient as all of the other coloured aluminium models like on the MB series.

Regarding the PVD coating, I have no idea only time will tell, but all of these PVD finishes are tough to a point and easy to refinish If you like smashing your watches up, I don't know many people that go below 100 m.
    Do you know if Bremont guarantees its watches to the nominative depth, or follows the industry habits (snorkelling only, as if scuba diving would take you beyond 100m)?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Do you know if Bremont guarantees its watches to the nominative depth, or follows the industry habits (snorkelling only, as if scuba diving would take you beyond 100m)?
    I asked them this back in 2008/9, and they were adamant that their watches were 100m WR. In fact, the watch that freediver Sara Campbell took to 100m in 2009 was a relatively standard three hander and not a “dive watch”. I went scuba diving with one of their ALT1-C chronographs during that trip without any problems.

Thank you.
    We have Ralphy from this parish who dived with his Gen 1 X33 I believe (not deep, but still :afraid: ).
    I too would not hesitate to dive with a 100m-rated watch, because in most cases I stayed within 30 m from the surface.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m sure I read somewhere that the Bremont divers were highly rated. There a case test done where it performed favourably

A few more images taken today to show the profile and size comparison for those interested.

It's a bold watch for a bold chap...and in my opinion, the most interesting (and possibly best looking) of the three

I'm convinced I saw someone wearing one at the Etihad on Saturday night. I could only see the side profile and strap but it certainly looked bang-on like Kerry's pics.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm convinced I saw someone wearing one at the Etihad on Saturday night. I could only see the side profile and strap but it certainly looked bang-on like Kerry's pics.
    What was on at The Etihad just a victory party?

RIAC

Nice watch and I know it looks a bit different I don't think it is that mad, and like that a lot.

I'm temped but thought my 6.75" wouldn't carry the 51.9mm L2L, but from the above photo it looks on par with the Sub.

Grand Master
    Maybe this will help. Thats an S300 placed directly on top!

A S300 wears smaller than a sub. Ill get a sub shot for you later

RIAC

Thanks Kerry. I thought the 4mm over the Sub would be too much, but not at all obvious from your photo. Nothing beats in person of course, but never easy up in these parts. If only Henley was a stroll for me... (o;

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's the first useful new thing printed on a watch dial in forever. I was on the fence, but now I think I'm off. I've always moaned that Bremont were a bit derivative, but I can hardly moan now!

Grand Master
    Taken directly facing down with sub on top and a peekaboo to prove where it is!

RIAC

Danke schön.

I don't like it and wouldn't wear it but its cool they've made it and been so bold.

Your pictures are much better than any of the promo stuff, why are manufactures pictures always so dull and fake looking?

Good to see a thread about something other than the usual suspects,

I'm still fascinated that a proportion of the marketing pictures show the Viper with a 'forged' carbon fibre case yet it's actually titanium as we all now know. I wonder if and when the carbon fibre case ever existed or whether it's just a faux pas from the graphics team?

Really like the dial and the orange. Not so keen on the case shape or hand colours. Enjoy!

Coldplay concert.

What was on at The Etihad just a victory party?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Coldplay concert.
    How much did you get paid to attend that?
    RIAC

About the same as you got paid to wear the Viper ;)

How much did you get paid to attend that?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I don't like it and wouldn't wear it but its cool they've made it and been so bold.

Your pictures are much better than any of the promo stuff, why are manufactures pictures always so dull and fake looking?

Good to see a thread about something other than the usual suspects,
    The obsession with renders vice real photos is really annoying.

Grand Master

The Bremont Viper

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    The obsession with renders vice real photos is really annoying.
    I have mentioned to Bremont that 'real' pictures are winners along side the perfectly marketed ones. I often think a wearer's interpretation through photography is as important.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    That's the first useful new thing printed on a watch dial in forever. I was on the fence, but now I think I'm off. I've always moaned that Bremont were a bit derivative, but I can hardly moan now!
    What is it used for please ? I haven't heard -4/+6 before I can recall.

https://www.cosc.swiss/en/quality/precision

'One of the criteria for « chronometer » certification is the average daily rate on the first 10 days of testing: from -4 sec to +6 sec., or up to 10 seconds per day.'

Edit: Bremont call it the H1 Timing Standard. It's an in-house certification rather than the movements being submitted to COSC.
    Last edited by jwg663; 6th June 2023 at 11:16.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master

The Bremont Viper

So confident is Bremont in the movement’s reliability and efficiency, that watches using it will be sold with a 5-year warranty, a first for the business.

Bremont says the ENG300 series will pass the ISO3159:2009 Chronometer test, but will not be submitting the movements for COSC certification.

However, from next year they will be certified in-house to a chronometer standard using the new Bremont H1 Timing Test (directly comparable to the ISO3159:2009 Chronometer test).

That may sound like marking your own homework, but it is a technicality that very few care about as long as the movements maintain quoted chronometer-level accuracy.

Quote: Watchpro H1 Article 2021
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    https://www.cosc.swiss/en/quality/precision

'One of the criteria for « chronometer » certification is the average daily rate on the first 10 days of testing: from -4 sec to +6 sec., or up to 10 seconds per day.'

Edit: Bremont call it the H1 Timing Standard. It's an in-house certification rather than the movements being submitted to COSC.
    Thanks for the explanation I never would have got that!

Bremont says the ENG300 series will pass the ISO3159:2009 Chronometer test, but will not be submitting the movements for COSC certification.

However, from next year they will be certified in-house to a chronometer standard using the new Bremont H1 Timing Test (directly comparable to the ISO3159:2009 Chronometer test)
    not submitting the movements for COSC was a given considering that COSC will only test Swiss movements (I believe?) and of course Bremont are promoting the H1 as an in-house movement and therefore effectively British. From what I gather, the ISO test is stricter than COSC and Bremonts H1 timing test is reputedly stricter still. Of course, an in-house test is self regulated and therefore only as good as the company supporting it. To me, it simply means that Bremont are attempting to create higher specification timepieces which can only be a good thing.