closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

How many times have Celtic won the league and failed to get through CL qualification, usually beaten by a team of part time Vikings from Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    You can correct me if I am wrong and I have no intention of trawling through old posts on football but I have you as a Rangers fan.
    Zero problem with that but I don't think your views on Celtic are particularly balanced in much the same way as mine would likely have a bias against Rangers despite thinking I was being balanced.
    My opinion on Spurs appointing the Celtic manager has nothing to do with being pro or anti Celtic or pro or anti Rangers but you really need to take your blinkers off and be a bit more objective regarding this.

Celtic are in a league where there are really only 2 winners and for the past decade or more only one with Rangers out the picture so winning the SPL is hardly a major accomplishment. Ange came in while Rangers lost their manager and the following season lost several players in sales then lost a second manger. I said in a previous post you really need to look at how Celtic played against any decent opposition in Europe and under Ange they have been dreadful. This is a team that were knocked out of 3 competitions in Europe in one season. This season Rangers only beat them to the worst results in Europe by a couple of points that really doesnt bode well for a manager coming into the premier league trying to turn around a squad, bring in players and try and compete with the likes of City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Newcastle for a top four finish not to mention those teams just outside that who will all be looking for a European place.

I said in a previous post Gerard should never have left Rangers if he had any hope of competing in England he should have stayed a few years up there won consecutive trophies up there and made Rangers a respectable team in Europe (But apparently I am anti Celtic!) Ange has won in a league thats not even championship standard and is now going to a team that were in the champions league final a few years back.

If he does well then fair enough but how Spurs are going at the moment reminds me of Liverpool under the 2 American owners.

Problem is managers at lower level clubs appear to be doing well with lower level budgets and to some degree punching above their weight and everyone thinks great, how marvellous would they be at a top team with quality players and more resources. Moyes Everton to Man Utd, Potter Brighton to Chelsea, Gerrard Rangers to Villa, Lampard Derby to Chelsea.

Get my point, it rarely works.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    My opinion on Spurs appointing the Celtic manager has nothing to do with being pro or anti Celtic or pro or anti Rangers but you really need to take your blinkers off and be a bit more objective regarding this.

Celtic are in a league where there are really only 2 winners and for the past decade or more only one with Rangers out the picture so winning the SPL is hardly a major accomplishment. Ange came in while Rangers lost their manager and the following season lost several players in sales then lost a second manger. I said in a previous post you really need to look at how Celtic played against any decent opposition in Europe and under Ange they have been dreadful. This is a team that were knocked out of 3 competitions in Europe in one season. This season Rangers only beat them to the worst results in Europe by a couple of points that really doesnt bode well for a manager coming into the premier league trying to turn around a squad, bring in players and try and compete with the likes of City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Newcastle for a top four finish not to mention those teams just outside that who will all be looking for a European place.

I said in a previous post Gerard should never have left Rangers if he had any hope of competing in England he should have stayed a few years up there won consecutive trophies up there and made Rangers a respectable team in Europe (But apparently I am anti Celtic!) Ange has won in a league thats not even championship standard and is now going to a team that were in the champions league final a few years back.

If he does well then fair enough but how Spurs are going at the moment reminds me of Liverpool under the 2 American owners.
    I have no idea whether Ange will be successful at Spurs or not as it's a big step up playing in the premiership as opposed to Scotland.
    What I do know is that Celtic were a shambles when he took over 2 summers ago and had lost half their team.
    Rangers were settled under Gerrard(they hadn't lost their manager as you said ) and had won the league by a country mile the previous season.
    Ange brought in a few of his own players and installed an ethos into the squad that everyone bought into including a very sceptical fan base after the Eddie Howe deal fell through.
    What I can say is that I don't see him as any lesser a managerial talent than say Brendan Rodgers and if he is considered good enough to be in the frame then I don't see why not Postecoglou.
    It would be fair to say Rodgers results with Celtic in Europe weren't setting the heather alight either.
    Regards competition in Scotland it's not really Celtic's fault that Rangers haven't managed to drum up a decent challenge in 6 of the last 7 years and yeh the standard of the remaining teams is particularly poor and definitely hinders Celtic and Rangers when they need to step up to better opposition.
    I think what may determine whether he is successful or not at Spurs should it happen will be if he can get the big egos on board with his philosophy and playing style.If he gets them to buy in then he's got a chance but if not then it will be a short reign.
    We shall see.

Depends on Levy's expectations. Let's assume Kane goes to Real Madrid. Are Spurs going to get near the top 4? Unlikely. But I suspect that's what Levy will expect. I don't think even Pep would get Spurs into the Top 4 if they lost Kane

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Depends on Levy's expectations. Let's assume Kane goes to Real Madrid. Are Spurs going to get near the top 4? Unlikely. But I suspect that's what Levy will expect. I don't think even Pep would get Spurs into the Top 4 if they lost Kane
    Agreed
    You can't remove Kane's goals and expect to compete without probably 2 top drawer replacements.

1st Manchester City
    2nd Manchester United
    3rd Liverpool
    4th Arsenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have no idea whether Ange will be successful at Spurs or not as it's a big step up playing in the premiership as opposed to Scotland.
    What I do know is that Celtic were a shambles when he took over 2 summers ago and had lost half their team.
    Rangers were settled under Gerrard(they hadn't lost their manager as you said ) and had won the league by a country mile the previous season.
    Ange brought in a few of his own players and installed an ethos into the squad that everyone bought into including a very sceptical fan base after the Eddie Howe deal fell through.
    What I can say is that I don't see him as any lesser a managerial talent than say Brendan Rodgers and if he is considered good enough to be in the frame then I don't see why not Postecoglou.
    It would be fair to say Rodgers results with Celtic in Europe weren't setting the heather alight either.
    Regards competition in Scotland it's not really Celtic's fault that Rangers haven't managed to drum up a decent challenge in 6 of the last 7 years and yeh the standard of the remaining teams is particularly poor and definitely hinders Celtic and Rangers when they need to step up to better opposition.
    I think what may determine whether he is successful or not at Spurs should it happen will be if he can get the big egos on board with his philosophy and playing style.If he gets them to buy in then he's got a chance but if not then it will be a short reign.
    We shall see.
    Whether Postegoclu does well at Spurs is anybodies guess, what we do know is in a head to head with Gerrard, Gerrard won more points. In a head to head with Beale, Beale won more points.
    In a 2 horse race if you don’t win it you end up managing in the Cypriot league just like Lennon.
    Getting out while the getting is good, just like Rodger’s and Gerrard

'To Dare is to Didgeridoo'

'To Dare is to Didgeridoo'
    Very good

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Whether Postegoclu does well at Spurs is anybodies guess, what we do know is in a head to head with Gerrard, Gerrard won more points. In a head to head with Beale, Beale won more points.
    In a 2 horse race if you don’t win it you end up managing in the Cypriot league just like Lennon.
    Lol
    C'mon Speedy you've normally got some sensible stuff to say.
    Do you honestly think firstly Rodgers left Celtic for Leicester because he was scared of Gerard(5 points clear at the time he left and with the arse having fallen out of Rangers challenge after Christmas).
    Or that Ange would jump ship to Spurs because he's having sleepless nights about Beale.

Don't want to turn this premiership thread into a Celtic/Rangers thing so I'll leave it at that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    1st Manchester City
    2nd Manchester United
    3rd Liverpool
    4th Arsenal

You might be right there.

Postecoglou has agreed to be Spurs manager.

Seriously or are you just hoping for the best?
    No, I'm serious. It's as much about galvanising the team/squad/club as anything else, and I think he can do it. He also plays an front foot, expansive style of football, which we've been crying out for since the heady days of Poch.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No, I'm serious. It's as much about galvanising the team/squad/club as anything else, and I think he can do it. He also plays an front foot, expansive style of football, which we've been crying out for since the heady days of Poch.
    One of the managers who reports into me is a big Celtic fan and says Postecoglou did a better job than Brendan Rodgers in terms of the football played and that he is destined for the top. That being said Spurs is a basket case of a club currently and what if Levy determines success as being Top 4? Little chance Spurs will achieve that and so Postecoglou may be on a hiding to nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Precisely my point and look how it ended up for Gerrard.

Is the issue the new manager or the owner and the board. If the new guy gets to pick who comes and who goes and is left alone to get on with the football side of things then good, but at too many clubs, including Everton, the problem is upstairs.

We shall see.
    Gerrard jumped ship after winning the league leaving Rangers in the lurch, Gio had a decent run in Europe but clearly couldnt handle the SPL and players were starting to turn on him. Rangers lost players that took them to the Europa league final and then had a horrific injury run. Rogers went to Celtic to build up his career again after Liverpool in a country where he was pretty much nailed on the win it. I dont really see your point on Rogers win rate in Europe he had being the Liverpool manger under his belt, of course he could come back to England and land a decent job. Spurs fans will want at the very least a decent challenge for top four do you honestly see that happening with him up against Pep, Klopp, Poch, Ten Hag? Not to mention Eddie Howe with a blank cheque book and champions league football to look forward to and a fair few other teams pushing for Europe. This is why I think its utter madness nothing to do with Celtic/Rangers.

One of the managers who reports into me is a big Celtic fan and says Postecoglou did a better job than Brendan Rodgers in terms of the football played and that he is destined for the top. That being said Spurs is a basket case of a club currently and what if Levy determines success as being Top 4? Little chance Spurs will achieve that and so Postecoglou may be on a hiding to nothing
    No chance whatsoever that Levy will be demanding top four next season.

Master
    Supposedly a 2yr contract for Ange so not a massive gamble or vote of confidence but one thing the Ozzies do is they back themselves to succeed so that won't bother him.

Master
    Precisely my point and look how it ended up for Gerrard.
    Gerrard was an inexperienced manager and nearly fell on his sword the previous season after the Scottish cup defeat by Hearts.
    He got lucky in the Covid season as Celtic had an alcoholic Lennon at the helm and the team imploded with no fans to drive them on.
    One thing I will give Gerrard or Beale is that they knew exactly how to set up a team for European ties, something he'll have mastered from Liverpool days.
    Postecoglou is 58. He's been round the block a bit and done well anywhere he has gone. He's earned his shot at mixing it in a top league.
    He will go with most Celtic fans blessings and I hope he does well in spite of the chairman.

https://brandirectory.com/rankings/football/
    There’ll be some salty tears because of this .

Both interesting and surprising. It's OK being bankrolled in the short-term but the goal (pun intended) will (I'm sure) have been growth and financial stability at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Ha load of bollocks those lists.

As a football “ brand “ Barca and light years ahead of anyone in world football.

City May top it in 20+ years if they continue to dominate the prem.

Supposedly a 2yr contract for Ange so not a massive gamble or vote of confidence but one thing the Ozzies do is they back themselves to succeed so that won't bother him.
    It may suit him to have a 2 year contract, give him more leverage if he succeeds when his contract is up and as you say he's one person that backs himself.

Edit: just heard its a 4 year deal

As for Ange himself, he definitely improved Celtic no end in terms of style of play and of course results, however, for Spurs fans beware, it did take him 3-4 months to turn it around and I'd expect the same at Spurs due to his training methods and intensive style of play. Also expect a few injuries as players adapt to his training methods. He'll also need to clear out a lot of dead wood in that Spurs squad and bring in quality replacements, so buying out of the J-league I suspect won't cut it in the EPL. Then there is the issue with Kane. If Kane wants away Ange will push to get him out, so that will be the first interesting test in his relationship with Levy.

The one big negative with Ange was his European performances which bordered on the dismal, however, he had just taken over at Celtic, was trying to build a squad and was his first experience in the CL/Europe. Therefore his tactical awareness will need to improve, If he can't adapt then he will struggle in the EPL, if he's learnt his lesson he may well succeed.
    Last edited by zippy; 6th June 2023 at 12:50.

Craftsman
    4 years

Master
    Celtic should maybe hold off on a new appointment in case it goes tits up rather quickly

Celtic should maybe hold off on a new appointment in case it goes tits up rather quickly
    How can it go tits up, you have already won the league next season and probably both cups. I think even Frank Lampard wouldn’t bugger up managing Celtic.

I don't think he'd get the same reception if he went back, maybe not on the hatred levels Rodgers received but the trust element has most certainly went. That and Celtic need a a manager if anything to be able to compete in the CL, which by all accounts could be worth between £50m-£80m for a club like Celtic.

Agreed. If Gerrard can win the SPL then the bar is low, but we already know that. I’d love to see Lampard go into Celtic and win the league for no other reason than to demonstrate even a truly terrible manager can succeed in that league.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    How can it go tits up, you have already won the league next season and probably both cups. I think even Frank Lampard wouldn’t bugger up managing Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Agreed. If Gerrard can win the SPL then the bar is low, but we already know that. I’d love to see Lampard go into Celtic and win the league for no other reason than to demonstrate even a truly terrible manager can succeed in that league.
    The reason Gerrard won the league - Celtic literally self combusted and had appointed a has been manager in Lennon and paid the price for it. Gerrard for all that has been written was actually the 4th most successful manager in the SPL during his tenure, 1st being Rodgers, 2nd Lennon and the 3rd, Callum Davidson from St Johnstone. Hardly a glowing endorsement of Gerrard.

Master
    Lol
    Let's not test that one with Frank-diamond geezer though he is-I might take John Terry though.
    To be fair Ken Rangers are looking fairly settled now and have a decent squad and seem to have made 2 or 3 decent buys-the latest being goalkeeper Jack Butland.
    Supposedly the now manager, Michael Beale ,was the brains behind Gerrard at Rangers and for sure they have looked a different proposition since he took over.

Just a bit of defence of at least the standard of the top 2 in Scotland-Celtic beat Rangers to the title last year and that was a Rangers team beaten on penalties in a Europa cup final having beaten Dortmund and RB Leipzig on the way to the final. It also wasn't that long ago when Celtic got to the last 16 of the champions league a couple of times.
    Totally agree the standard of the other teams has fallen away a fair bit though so for the forseeable is a two horse race.
    Worth pointing out that guessing the English premiership winner doesn't require a crystal ball at the minute.

Master
    I think Newcastle are up at Rangers for a big friendly pre-season.
    Will see how your team stacks up.

We are and we will indeed

I think Newcastle are up at Rangers for a big friendly pre-season.
    Will see how your team stacks up.

Master

Premier League 2023-24

I went up for the 3-2 old firm game in April. The Celtic fans were mad as in all absolutely hammered drunk by kick off.

We then went for a drink on the road Ibrox is on after the same. That was crazy the rangers fans are next level. Every person we came into conversation with was just going on and on about the IRA and wanting to kill the catholic bastards etc etc.

Strange bunch up there.

Last edited by Ivan Drago; 6th June 2023 at 21:27.

Pathetic. Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I went up for the 3-2 old firm game in April. The Celtic fans were mad as in all absolutely hammered drunk by kick off.

We then went for a drink on the road Ibrox is on after the same. That was crazy the rangers fans are next level. Every person we can’t into conversation with was just going on and on about the IRA and wanting to kill the Catholic bastards etc etc.

Strange bunch up there.

So, hoping for .
    Four in a row for Citeh.
    United, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea all to be relegated.
    Brentford , Fulham and West Ham to establish themselves as the main teams in London .
    Toon to make big inroads into Europe and cement their place in the Top 4.
    Burnley to acquit themselves well and continue to grow under Kompany. Same for Sheffield United.
    Luton can do one and only survive on the last day by beating United 6-0 .
    Wolves to have an upturn in fortunes and get closer to Villa.
    Brighton to smash the Europa League .
    Everton to do the Merseyside double and get top ten.
    And finally PGMOL and VAR to be disbanded .

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    The reason Gerrard won the league - Celtic literally self combusted and had appointed a has been manager in Lennon and paid the price for it. Gerrard for all that has been written was actually the 4th most successful manager in the SPL during his tenure, 1st being Rodgers, 2nd Lennon and the 3rd, Callum Davidson from St Johnstone. Hardly a glowing endorsement of Gerrard.
    He was sacked from Villa this season with the team in 17th and Gerrard completly lost as to what to do about it. The team changed every match - for example Buendia would start, then Coutinho, then Buendia, then Coutinho - and the formation was some weird pyramid with the full backs expected to provide the width (opposition managers worked out fairly quickly how to use wingers) and he kept trying to play Watkins (who plays up front on his own) with Ings (who IIRC played at Saints in a front two with wingers). Emery took over, brought in one player (Moreno at LB, excellent player) and lost Ings in the January window, brought stability and more than one plan to the team, made the likes of Mings, Luiz and Watkins look the players they really are and Villa finished seventh. Now it could just be that Emery is an excellent manager but Gerrard really was exposed as a pretty terrible one.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    This has to be good business in anyones book if true.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/s...326633985?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post

Agreed. Sounds like he had a release clause in his contract, so no reason to disbelieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post

Incredible business if it is, most were saying it would be around 45m or above. Transfer done early doors too.

Bellingham going to Madrid for 100m glad he is going to Spain, need more English players to play their football in non English leagues.

Absolutely disgraceful from the West Ham fans. Hope they abandon the game and award the match to Fiorentina.

I thought there must be Chelsea supporters in the West Ham end

Agree, pathetic behaviour.

Declan Rice doesn’t look top 4 material tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed. Sounds like he had a release clause in his contract, so no reason to disbelieve it.
    Reported in The Telegraph today that Levy is after Harry Maguire and (allegedly) hopes it’ll convince Harry Kane to stay.

Hilarious given he’s so hopeless that Man Utd are paying him to leave 🤣

The issue also is if you look at the Fiorentina end there are a lot of lads in black t shirts. Those are the ultras and I fear violence tonight.

The whole team is struggling tonight to be fair. Rice is definitely top four and ECL quality.

I thought there must be Chelsea supporters in the West Ham end

Agree, pathetic behaviour.

Declan Rice doesn’t look top 4 material tonight.

The whole team is struggling tonight to be fair. Rice is definitely top four and ECL quality.
    You are right, West Ham haven’t settled yet. Moyes needs to kick ass at half time.

Antonio is really poor. Not just tonight, in general. Really poor striker who doesn’t get anywhere near enough goals. Big dosser.

Thumbs up

The referee is hopeless tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Reported in The Telegraph today that Levy is after Harry Maguire and (allegedly) hopes it’ll convince Harry Kane to stay.

Hilarious given he’s so hopeless that Man Utd are paying him to leave 藍
    If that’s anything more than paper talk I’m giving back my season ticket and joining Ryan at Southampton