closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,500 of 5573

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    The praise for Luton is ridiculous. They lose every week. They have NOT done well or competed really.
    It is about context. They are a club that did not have the benefit of parachute payments and a squad that cost less than essentially the highest value single player at most clubs they have competed against. Yes, they will get relegated but they showed spirit and fight. If Ipswich get promoted, they will almost certainly do a "Luton" and last one season too, until this ridiculous cocktail of financial fair play but giving clubs a massive advantage through parachute payments is resolved, there won't me many if any teams that achieve more than Luton under their specific circumstances, fortunately for them they'll now join the club of having a big financial advantage in the Championship and will have a good chance to push to bounce back up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    . The praise for Luton is ridiculous. They lose every week. They have NOT done well or competed really. Take away the points deductions and the bottom three was set months ago. That said I think the deductions in themselves were unduly lenient but that’s another story.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    harsh on Luton given their meteoric rise through the divisions whilst staying within really tight budget constraints every year; some of these players have been along for the whole journey, pretty much form their descent to NON league. A big chunk of the prem cash had to be spent quickly to get their dump of a ground fit for the Prem and they've have spent literally feck all, yet still been competitive in a lot of games.

i can't stand them as another club we don't get on with, but credit where credit's due and whilst they might go down, there is no underhand background story of irregularity; simply hard work from a tuppence costing squad. Jeez, even Barkley has been talked about as an outside chance for the Euros having been pretty written off as a waste of space 12 months ago.

That Everton are involved almost every year these days, having spent an absolute fortune on players and managers should perhaps leave you with a little respect for what Luton have tried to do. Dyche has done a great job this year overcoming the points deductions but the squad assembled to incur those penalties is still probably 10 times the cost of the assembled Luton squad*

*no idea of actual costs but think 10 times is probably generous to EFC as probably a lot higher

Master
    Liverpool only themselves to blame.

In the last 6 games we have had a record for the numbers of shots but we are 19th in the league for shot conversion.

The injury to Jota has been massive coupled with returning form of Salah.

Season objective was top 4 and that’s secured so job done. Just a disappointing end to the season / Klopps reign.

Salah off in the summer, Thiago gone and possibly Diaz. So hopefully we can bring in some decent talent with the cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Klopp going public about leaving in January or whenever has had a negative effect on the club and the squad. Too much pressure etc.

In a normal season winning the Carabao Cup and qualifying for the CL would be seen as decent, but this year if almost looks like a failure.

I’m not a red, so don’t really know, but it feels like a leaving do that’s just gone on far too long.

Like you I can only go on what I see but it does look like the pressure to win it all for Klopp got to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think Klopp going public about leaving in January or whenever has had a negative effect on the club and the squad. Too much pressure etc.

In a normal season winning the Carabao Cup and qualifying for the CL would be seen as decent, but this year if almost looks like a failure.

I’m not a red, so don’t really know, but it feels like a leaving do that’s just gone on far too long.

Master

not really anything they could have done though, effectively he resigned in November, they needed to go and sound out a new manager and apparently it was about to leak when he announced it.

Recent history tells us replacing the main man ain’t easy, Ferguson, Wenger etc.
    I heard this view on the radio last night (also citing SAF and Wenger) but that's very flattering to Klopp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I heard this view on the radio last night (also citing SAF and Wenger) but that's very flattering to Klopp.
    maybe against Fergie but against Wenger Klopp stacks up, he has had a lot less time and has also managed to win a CL that Wenger couldnt, regardless his impact on the club and the difficulty in replacing him is a similar challenge.

I saw a stat that said Nunez has the worst conversion rate in Europe (I assume this includes Jackson and Jesus lol )

Explains where the issue lies - Liverpool hit the proverbial lottery when they had Mane, Salah and Firmino firing on all cylinders for about 5 seasons, goals are the hardest thing to “buy” in football

The next manager has on hell of job that midfield is inconsistent and there is the question of what is TAA role on a football pitch because it certainly isn’t a right back.

Also in my opinion Klopp has worked wonders with some players who will fall off once he’s gone (quansah, jones, konate, Elliot etc. )

Blog Entries
    I think the new Liverpool manager will need at least 2 seasons to bed-in - as there will be some key players that will follow Klopp out the door at the end of the season and the team will need to adjust. I don't think the owners are going to throw money at the new manager either, so may have limited resources overall.

I still think they are in a decent position - there will be fresh blood next season plus the up and coming Academy players will renew the team. I think a top 4 slot should still be achievable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    maybe against Fergie but against Wenger Klopp stacks up, he has had a lot less time and has also managed to win a CL that Wenger couldnt, regardless his impact on the club and the difficulty in replacing him is a similar challenge.
    You can't compare as Klopp would need to be at Liverpool for the same amount of time as Wenger, no one knows what Klopp could or couldn't have achieved if he stayed for another 10 years.
    You could compare Klopp and Wenger to their 1st 9 years at Liverpool and Arsenal.
    Klopp = 5 trophies, 1 Champions League, 1 League Title, 1 FA Cup and 2 League Cups not including 1 World Club Cup, 1 Super Cup and 1 Community Shield
    Wenger = 7 trophies, 3 League Titles and 4 FA Cups not including 4 Community Shields

Although the Champion League trophy is the most glamorous/prestigious European club competition to win, it is a cup competition being the best team over 13 games. The Premier League trophy is being the best team over 38 games.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I think the new Liverpool manager will need at least 2 seasons to bed-in.
    Looks like it is confirmed now

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/a...40r131z2no.amp

Blog Entries
    Something about the new Liverpool manager Arne Slot. (‘Arne’ pronouced as ‘Arnu’ like the ‘u’ in ‘uh…’).

He’s from a bordertown in the east (my mother’s hometown as well) and now lives in Zwolle in a rather modest home. Close to former MU defender Jaap Stam, btw. His townhouse reflects him I think: accessable. Not with all sorts barriers around him.

Dutch manangers have always struggled in the Premier League, but Slot’s strong point is that his teams play better than one would expect ‘on paper’. They do better than expected.

In his current role as Feijenoord manager, he introduced a lot of young players. Their performance goes up like a rocket. Matts Wieffer, Santiago Gimenez (Mexican) and Orkan Köçku. The latter plays @ Benfica now but is totally unhappy there. I wouldn’t be surprised when he wants to join Liverpool/Arne Slot.

Slot is a popular man in Rotterdam. That’s underlined by the fact that all Dutch papers write: “He’s leaving through the front door as a proud man!”

He never had big stars like Salah in his teams. And it might be best that Salah searches for greener pastures (well, sand in SA I guess). VVD and Slot will go along well.

As said, the PL and Dutch coaches is a troublesome mix. But he doesn’t have the ‘cocky’ attitude of Louis van Gaal or Ten Hag.

One negative point: Slot is a wizzard when it comes to talking with the 4th official. He manages to influence them. Not only national, but also during the games in Europe.

Koeman did well in the PL, particularly with Southampton.

Gullit did the business for the Chels until "netto"

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    He did the same: from Feijenoord Rotterdam to the PL.

When I compare them: Koeman was a better player in his younger years. A lot of experience comes from that era. Slot is what you would call a people’s manager. And he has some intersting ideas about soccer. In short: pressing, pressing and play ‘forward’

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Something about the new Liverpool manager Arne Slot. (‘Arne’ pronouced as ‘Arnu’ like the ‘u’ in ‘uh…’).

He’s from a bordertown in the east (my mother’s hometown as well) and now lives in Zwolle in a rather modest home. Close to former MU defender Jaap Stam, btw. His townhouse reflects him I think: accessable. Not with all sorts barriers around him.

Dutch manangers have always struggled in the Premier League, but Slot’s strong point is that his teams play better than one would expect ‘on paper’. They do better than expected.

In his current role as Feijenoord manager, he introduced a lot of young players. Their performance goes up like a rocket. Matts Wieffer, Santiago Gimenez (Mexican) and Orkan Köçku. The latter plays @ Benfica now but is totally unhappy there. I wouldn’t be surprised when he wants to join Liverpool/Arne Slot.

Slot is a popular man in Rotterdam. That’s underlined by the fact that all Dutch papers write: “He’s leaving through the front door as a proud man!”

He never had big stars like Salah in his teams. And it might be best that Salah searches for greener pastures (well, sand in SA I guess). VVD and Slot will go along well.

As said, the PL and Dutch coaches is a troublesome mix. But he doesn’t have the ‘cocky’ attitude of Louis van Gaal or Ten Hag.

One negative point: Slot is a wizzard when it comes to talking with the 4th official. He manages to influence them. Not only national, but also during the games in Europe.
    Many thanks for that intuitive insight, very interesting. Hopefully he is going to be a good replacement for Klopp and doubly hoping things don't implode like our neighbours across the East Lancs corridor did. Big shoes to fill and guessing there's going to be lots of comings and goings during the rest of 2024

If Burnley and Luton both lose and Everton beat Brentford we are mathematically safe regardless of the outcome of the second appeal.

First time in years I’ve wanted the Mancs to win.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Many thanks for that intuitive insight, very interesting. Hopefully he is going to be a good replacement for Klopp and doubly hoping things don't implode like our neighbours across the East Lancs corridor did. Big shoes to fill and guessing there's going to be lots of comings and goings during the rest of 2024
    We (Dutch) are proud when one of ‘us’ plays in the PL. A lot bigger and better than our ‘Mickey Mouse competition’. Slot is a likeable guy, all here agree on that.

We've been, and I can't stress this enough, an absolute shambles. It's a long time since I've heard frustration in the stands.

EDIT: second half has been better.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 27th April 2024 at 16:40.

Craftsman
    We (Dutch) are proud when one of ‘us’ plays in the PL. A lot bigger and better than our ‘Mickey Mouse competition’. Slot is a likeable guy, all here agree on that.
    I wouldn't say mickey mouse league, some great battles over the years, Feyenoord, Ajax. One of my all time heroes, Dirk Kuyt, Wijnaldum to name but a good few

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We've been, and I can't stress this enough, an absolute shambles. It's a long time since I've heard frustration in the stands.

EDIT: second half has been better.
    Just a bit.....

What was the argie bargie between Klopp and Salah about?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Was wondering that too. I am guessing Salah said he didn't want to come on?

I think Liverpool will cash in on Salah at the end of the season, especially if stupid money is involved.

Maybe he thought he should have started.

Klopp told Salah they couldn't find his asthma inhaler.

Maybe he thought he should have started.
    What position does Jurgen play ?
    He’d improve the right back position but not sure about anywhere else

Master
    I think Liverpool will cash in on Salah at the end of the season, especially if stupid money is involved.
    What's he worth now? Hindsight is a great thing, of course, but £150m last summer looked decent business.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    What's he worth now? Hindsight is a great thing, of course, but £150m last summer looked decent business.
    I’m guessing £80m - £100m.

Master
    I’m guessing £80m - £100m.
    No one in the premiership would pay that !! It’s only the Saudi’s that would throw money like that at him, and for him it would be to see out his time playing sub standard football. 60m at most from a prem team.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    No one in the premiership would pay that !! It’s only the Saudi’s that would throw money like that at him, and for him it would be to see out his time playing sub standard football. 60m at most from a prem team.
    Beginning to think an agreement has been in place for him to leave this summer, for some time. Salah will always be a legend at the club, but sad to see his time, like Klopps, coming to an end like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    Agreed, I was talking a move to SA. At least he will be used to the sand and the heat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    What position does Jurgen play ?
    He’d improve the right back position but not sure about anywhere else
    The right back is going to Real Madrid !

Funny that Europes best team want a rubbish right back isn’t it.

Blog Entries
    When in Egypt a few years back, we found out about Salah's popularity. It's immense there. "The biggest example of Egypt's greatness after the pyramids" a guy in a shop told us. I'm sure it will be noticed in SA as well. Yesterday, a Dutch paper wrote that the best idea for Slot would be to say 'goodbye' to Sarah before the next season starts.

And today the papers are filled with soundbites of former PL icons how Slot should not end up in the same situation as Ten Hag: transferring former Ajax players to MU (e.g. Anthony). Well, that Anthony guy was never considered a great player here, more a nasty individual. He's on a list with other players from our competition who failed to deliver once they'd signed up for a PL club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Come on Ivan !
    He’s not rubbish , don’t be so ungrateful .
    He sees things others don’t remember ?

Except for Calvert Lewin. He definitely doesn’t see him .

Master
    Blog Entries
    We (Everton) winning ugly at the moment but I will take it.

And safe well done boys.
    Last edited by hilly10; 27th April 2024 at 19:28.

Fantastic, safety at last.

Needed to get it sorted before the final game away at Arsenal, esp. if they are still in the title race.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 27th April 2024 at 19:42.

Pretty sure what Liverpool have done since City and Arsenal drew is 'bottle' it. Which is exactly what their fans accused Arsenal of doing last year.

Liverpool had a clear path to the title but bottled it.

Trent isn't going to Real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Master
    Trent isn't going to Real.
    I think he might well be, he’s only got a year left on his Liverpool deal and the rumours are starting to gather pace.

Can’t blame him if he does, no one can turn down a Madrid move.

Villa looking sharp. I think they want that 4th place

A side issue, whenever I hear Lucy Ward as a co-commentator I’m convinced I’m listening to Victoria Wood.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 27th April 2024 at 20:46.

Chelsea were unlucky in the end .
    Great game though for the neutral .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We weren't at our best second half and Chelsea really controlled the game. That said, our injury list is getting ridiculous now. Tielemans and Martinez the latest to go off. Tielemans has been playing very well, and losing him and bringing Diaby was like having ten men on the pitch.

Poch's whining about the disallowed goal was hilarious though, it was the most obvious foul you'll ever see. The only question that needs to be asked is why the completely useless ref didn't see it in the first place.

Master
    Not a foul for me that, no arms used.

Carlos just got out muscled. He didn’t even appeal for a foul.

I saw the foul in real time it was so obvious. A blatant push in the back with no attempt to get the ball. As clear a foul as you’ll see. Cracking game though.

Villa guaranteed fifth and at least one Europa League place. If we were to win the Europa Conference League what happens to the Europa League place we'd be awarded?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Villa guaranteed fifth and at least one Europa League place. If we were to win the Europa Conference League what happens to the Europa League place we'd be awarded?
    It gets awarded to Manchester United so that the whole of Europe gets to laugh at them instead of domestic supporters only.

Premier League 2023-24

He's on a list with other players from our competition who failed to deliver once they'd signed up for a PL club.
    United will be offloading Antony on the cheap this summer.

ten Hag has brought in Martinez, Antony and Malacia from Dutch football. Spent £150m.

I’d rate them all as poor buys. I don’t think Malacia has played a single game this season. Antony has a very limited (one) range of play, is injury prone and displays behaviours that don’t go down well in the north of England. On the face of it, Martinez can be decent, but again is prone to injuries, so what’s the point.

From what I can gather, they didn’t play that many games each season in the Netherlands. Not sure if that’s through injury or just the way it is in The Netherlands.

Then there’s been Depay, Blind, van de Beek all poor buys for United.

In the past, United have been able to recruit fantastic players from the Dutch league: van der Sar (via Fulham), Stam, van Nistelrooy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 28th April 2024 at 11:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    It doesn't go to the PL. The only way a other EL place would have been awarded is if Villa won the Conference League but finished outside the European places in the PL