closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 92 of 110 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,600 of 5491

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4 View Post
    He is already at a big club!
    Also just one behind Sala in total goal contributions this season (he's the only striker in double figures for assists).
    "A man of little significance"

Tuchel to leave Bayern at end of season and Alonso to take over according to German sources. So no Alonso to Liverpool? De Zerbi then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Again Ryan can we have some consistency please.

Only goals conceded matter to centre half stats. Which means there can only be 1,2 or 3 good centre halves at the end of each season as they would have conceded the least amount of goals.

By your metrics Saliba is only a good centre half if Arsenal conceded the least goals at the end of the season.

We will revisit at the end of the season and see if you move your goal posts again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No but obviously if you're a team that has to defend a lot more than others then your centre halves will have 'better' stats.

FWIW Van Dijk is probably still a better defender than Saliba but Saliba has a very high ceiling due to his youth so let's see where he gets to.

A German football journalist said this morning that Bayern would love to recruit Alonso but not that it was a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Tuchel to leave Bayern at end of season and Alonso to take over according to German sources. So no Alonso to Liverpool? De Zerbi then?

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    The greed in modern football is getting out of hand, all it does is force the fans to pay huge season ticket prices and very high sky sports prices.
    Yep.

I'm old enough to remember when kids could go along for themselves at pocket money prices.

They are not likely to get any more out of me, I'm watching my local non league team which kick off Saturdays at 3pm having not being messed around with different days/times predicated by Sky Sports.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I was one of those kids in the early 80s getting the bus with my mates, buying a programme and paying 75p at the Gallowgate turnstiles. Absolutely brilliant times. Now if you want to attend two home games a month and watch other games on TV you need £200 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yep.

I'm old enough to remember when kids could go along for themselves at pocket money prices.

They are not likely to get any more out of me, I'm watching my local non league team which kick off Saturdays at 3pm having not being messed around with different days/times predicated by Sky Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    The greed in modern football is getting out of hand, all it does is force the fans to pay huge season ticket prices and very high sky sports prices.
    When FIFA and UEFA are the ones most obsessed with money nothing will improve for the better. You only have to look at the expanded Champions League and World Cup to see where priorities lie. So many managers are complaining about there being too many games and the knock on effect it has with player injuries but the authorities just don’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I was one of those kids in the early 80s getting the bus with my mates, buying a programme and paying 75p at the Gallowgate turnstiles. Absolutely brilliant times. Now if you want to attend two home games a month and watch other games on TV you need £200 a month.
    Great times!

Unfortunately as you alluded to today's kids sadly can't experience that sort of stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

They're some of my greatest memories Neil. Getting there early so we could stand in front of the concrete barriers to make sure we didn't get crushed when surges happened. Seeing the clouds of steam on cold days coming up from around your feet as it was too packed to get to the loos (I never did that). Passing the little ones over our heads so they could sit at the front.

I saw Quinn, Keegan, Beardsley, Gazza, Waddle etc up closer than you'd ever get these days. Our keeper, Kevin Carr, lived in the house behind ours so we shared a garden fence. Imagine players living amongst the plebs now!

Our centre half, Peter Haddock, lived next door to my granny. Keegan was on £2500 a week and Peter was getting £80. Peter used to get the bus home after a game and stop off at the chippy for his tea on the way up the street.

Great days.

Great times!

Unfortunately as you alluded to today's kids sadly can't experience that sort of stuff.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 22nd February 2024 at 14:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    One for you Ryan, Van Dijk and Saliba’s stats this season.

this is like centre back Top Trumps....

stats do not tell the full story; to give them more accuracy you'd at least need to add in the % of challenges to give it some credibility. if VVD has won 102 headers but only 33% of those he's gone for then it puts a different perspective on it.

Arsenal would drop Saliba if he had as many long passes as that is against their very specific playing style, whereas Liverpool do vary it and love a quick long pass break.

Statistics are BS in most cases as you can't compare players that easily.

..... i've no skin in the game as support neither team and think they are both excellent CB's.

There are too many BS stats thrown about that are pretty irrelevant at the end of the day; just SKY dreaming up ways to get people disagreeing

I agree. The stats in that image are chosen to make VVD appear better. They're both top quality CBs playing in teams that play very differently and as such they have different expectations placed upon them. That's all I'll say as you've already said it all. Anyway, neither are as good as Botman ;)

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    this is like centre back Top Trumps....

stats do not tell the full story; to give them more accuracy you'd at least need to add in the % of challenges to give it some credibility. if VVD has won 102 headers but only 33% of those he's gone for then it puts a different perspective on it.

Arsenal would drop Saliba if he had as many long passes as that is against their very specific playing style, whereas Liverpool do vary it and love a quick long pass break.

Statistics are BS in most cases as you can't compare players that easily.

..... i've no skin in the game as support neither team and think they are both excellent CB's.

There are too many BS stats thrown about that are pretty irrelevant at the end of the day; just SKY dreaming up ways to get people disagreeing

Master
    occasionally in the lower divisions you'll get a 'kids for a quid' day on a low category match.

we have a couple a season at QPR (i could argue that every game is low category!) and it would be a great gesture if clubs did this every season just to get the youngsters in who've been priced out off it.

even if it's the early round cup games where season tickets might not apply...... again this would only get you 2 games at my lot as we seem to have not realised that the LC doesn't end in round 1 and the FA Cup at round 3 (or the Final, as we refer to it)

They're some of my greatest memories Neil. Getting there early so we could stand in front of the concrete barriers to make sure we didn't get crushed when surges happened. Seeing the clouds of steam on cold days coming up from around your feet as it was too packed to get to the loos (I never did that). Passing the little ones over our heads so they could sit at the front.

I saw Quinn, Keegan, Beardsley, Gazza, Waddle etc up closer than you'd ever get these days. Our keeper, Kevin Carr, lived in the house behind ours so we shared a garden fence. Imagine players living amongst the plebs now!

Our centre half, Peter Haddock, lived next door to my granny. Keegan was on £2500 a week and Peter was getting £80. Peter used to get the bus home after a game and stop off at the chippy for his tea on the way up the street.

Great days.
    Great stories from when footballers were a part of the community not locked away in palaces as they are now.

I actually prefer to watch The Big Match revisited on TV which shows old games from the early '80's than their modern counterparts.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I love watching those!

I actually prefer to watch The Big Match revisited on TV

I love watching those!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

City very lucky to beat Bournemouth. As an Arsenal fan that's worrying as we need City to get a result at Anfield but the way they're playing even getting a draw may be beyond them.

New Fulham fan here.

At least come the end of the season Arsenal will have won the same number of trophies as us having spend £150m more than us.

Great game at Villa Park today, two teams really going for it. And another Fulham fan here.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Decent win for Arsenal but we left a couple of goals out there.

Still have to go to City, Spurs and Old Trafford so will be tough. Liverpool on paper have the easiest run in but have injury problems, City not firing properly but still winning. Suspect we'll need to win at the Etihad to win the league and hope Liverpool don't beat City - if they do that might do it for them.

Craftsman
    At least come the end of the season Arsenal will have won the same number of trophies as us having spend £150m more than us.
    Lovely game. Arsenal were electric.

I hope your £150m lower spend really comforts you, that's what football is all about

Joe Willock goal was brilliant, great cross from BDB and the header was superb. Hope Joe can stay fit, always liked him.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

We were terrible and Arsenal were excellent tonight. I’m not comforted by a lower spend, it’s just a fact. I’m just saying that you should be further forward than us given your outlay and quality of player.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Lovely game. Arsenal were electric.

I hope your £150m lower spend really comforts you, that's what football is all about

Joe Willock goal was brilliant, great cross from BDB and the header was superb. Hope Joe can stay fit, always liked him.

Arsenal won’t win the league. City and Liverpool will have to have monumental collapses for that to happen.

Decent win for Arsenal but we left a couple of goals out there.

Still have to go to City, Spurs and Old Trafford so will be tough. Liverpool on paper have the easiest run in but have injury problems, City not firing properly but still winning. Suspect we'll need to win at the Etihad to win the league and hope Liverpool don't beat City - if they do that might do it for them.

We were terrible and Arsenal were excellent tonight. I’m not comforted by a lower spend, it’s just a fact. I’m just saying that you should be further forward than us given your outlay and quality of player.
    They have 58 points and you have 37. How much further do you suggest they should be?
    On the other hand, how does Newcastle spending compares with Brighton? Villa? Wolves? How far ahead of those should you be?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Arsenal won’t win the league. City and Liverpool will have to have monumental collapses for that to happen.
    ???

Liverpool are 2 points ahead of us and Man City 1 ahead. We have a better goal difference than both. How would that necessitate a 'monumental collapse?' Liverpool and City play each other soon so at least 1 of those teams will drop points at the same time as we play Sheffield United away and Brentford at home. Assuming we win both those then we are worst case 2 points behind Liverpool or 1 point behind City but 2nd regardless. If City and Liverpool draw with each other we'd be top!

Have you checked the league table? Every team needs to win all their matches. Liverpool have the ultimate advantage of knowing that if they win all their games then it doesn't matter if Arsenal win all of theirs.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 25th February 2024 at 01:26.

. Liverpool have the ultimate advantage of knowing that if they win all their games then it doesn't matter if Arsenal win all of theirs.
    City have exactly the same advantage.

Personally, I think City are nowhere near at their best and I don't see them winning the league this season. We've got to go to Anfield and Spurs where our away record at each is abysmal.

Liverpool are still the team to beat

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

Personally, I think City are nowhere near at their best and I don't see them winning the league this season. We've got to go to Anfield and Spurs where our away record at each is abysmal.

True but Arsenal know they can finish above City by winning all their games (including at the Etihad).

Agree Liverpool have the advantage but they have injuries and are still in all competitions they started the season in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

What is City "at their best"?

Does their Treble-winning season count?

Because they are 1 point better off than the same stage last season.

City have been brilliant but they have some actual competition this season with both Liverpool and Arsenal putting together some consistency and quality.

City still the favourites for me due to Liverpool injuries and underlying defensive numbers not being at the same level as Arsenal and City.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    What is City "at their best"?

Does their Treble-winning season count?

Because they are 1 point better off than the same stage last season.

City have been brilliant but they have some actual competition this season with both Liverpool and Arsenal putting together some consistency and quality.

City still the favourites for me due to Liverpool injuries and underlying defensive numbers not being at the same level as Arsenal and City.

We’ve grinded out numerous results rather than dominate games. We were awful against Brentford last week and average against Everton & Bournemouth.
    Don’t get me wrong, a win is a win but some of the top teams will go into a match v City fancying their chances.

Master
    I’ve said Arsenal are shite from the off but they’ve proved me round and at right in the mix for the title.

I just can’t see Liverpool being able to do it at the minute, losing Jota is a massive blow coupled with Thiago being out for the season.

Then add Trent, Alisson, Matip, Jones etc I just think we won’t have enough with the replacements to get it over the line.

Disgraceful from Caicedo on Gravenberch.

What on earth are Chelsea playing at? They're basically playing Liverpool's B team and are passive and lacking urgency.

Well deserved Liverpool. Chelsea what a shambles, literally boys vs men but the boys won.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Superb win for the lads.

Liverpool on for the Klopptruple.

Gravenberch in a leg brace. That's not good news.

Didn’t see the game but heard all about it. Klopp deserves that win for playing a cup final with so many kids so fair play to him and them. Chelsea though….

Master
    Didn’t see the game but heard all about it. Klopp deserves that win for playing a cup final with so many kids so fair play to him and them. Chelsea though….

Blue billion pound bottle jobs as Gary Neville so succinctly put.

The difference in mentality was clear to see. Liverpool's kids had far more desire and appetite to win. The difference in coaching quality between the sides is vast. Don't forget Pochettino somehow managed to lose the French League to Lille despite having Mbappe and Neymar up front.

Anyway as an Arsenal fan, time to grab some hand cream and a box of tissues and head over to the match day thread on theshedend.com

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post

The same Gary Neville who was a roaring success as manager at Valencia ?
    The same Gary Neville who has skewed Salford Citys league so much to their financial advantage ?
    Hmmmmm . Sounds legit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The same Gary Neville who was a roaring success as manager at Valencia ?
    The same Gary Neville who has skewed Salford Citys league so much to their financial advantage ?
    Hmmmmm . Sounds legit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I did laugh at Spitty's comment that football's not 'all about the money' after Liverpool's £75m centre back scored the winner!

I will confess I was supporting Liverpool in extra time today. Chelsea were such a shambles I was hoping Liverpool would pull it off.

Ya can’t win owt with kids

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Virgil, Konate, Kelleher were absolutely superb but the man of the match for me was Endo.

Those 4 were the stand out performers.

Disasi at the back for Chelsea looks absolutely dire, probably the worst CB I’ve seen at this level.

I will confess I was supporting Liverpool in extra time today.
    Someone has hacked Ryan’s account.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    I suspect his former club has spent the same, over the last few years, with pretty much the same success.

It’s baffling that Pochettino is regarded as an elite manager.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I suspect his former club has spent the same, over the last few years, with pretty much the same success.

It’s baffling that Pochettino is regarded as an elite manager.
    Neville combined with the professional “ Scouser” Carragher have got to be the two most annoying pundits ever in fact nowadays i i turn the sound of on football games and the half time garbage especially.
    Pochettino in not IMO an elite manager he is bang average at best and my team combined with him are also bang average.
    Question to all who or where is the next elite manager
    Last edited by mart broad; 26th February 2024 at 09:30.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Neville combined with the professional “ Scouser” Carragher have got to be the two most annoying pundits ever in fact nowadays i i turn the sound of on football games and the half time garbage especially.
    Pochettino in not IMO an elite manager he is bang average at best and my team combined with him are also bang average.
    Not just saying this as an Arsenal fan but Arteta would be in the rung below Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti and closing in fast as he's shown he can learn from mistakes and is now very tactically adept. Other contenders who can get into the elite rung are;

- Emery
    - Michel
    - Alonso
    - Nagelsmann
    - Simeone
    - Inzaghi
    - Amorim

I also still think Mourinho is elite.

Plenty of good managers like Postecoglou, Di Zerbi etc but whether they have the potential to move into elite territory is debatable.

Craftsman
    Just reading on SSN this morning that the average age of the Chelsea team that both started and finished the game yesterday were younger than Liverpool's.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Just reading on SSN this morning that the average age of the Chelsea team that both started and finished the game yesterday were younger than Liverpool's.
    im not that surprised at that, chelsea have brought in a lot of very young players, the difference being is that most of them cost 10s of millions as they were established already.

Its a bitter pill for chelsea but it could have gone either way yesterday, im glad liverpool managed to win it but chelsea werent far away from winning.

Spitty is truly unbearable and shouldn’t be commenting on Liverpool games as he’s the most biased pundit around. Fortunately there’s a mute button when he’s on.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post