closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 111 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Can someone please show me the one English premier league player that has actually stood up for his cause publicly knowing it could cost him his career but in the name of civil rights/equality/support for the poor etc.... did so anyway?

I mean it near cost Kaepernick his career, likewise the athletes Smith, Norman and Carlos
    Last edited by robert75; 30th July 2023 at 09:52.

Rashford the obvious one I suppose, even advertises for NatWest! Not cost him his career

Fowler had a Dockers t shirt I think

Reese James genuinely supports his sister and Chelsea Woman

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 30th July 2023 at 14:14.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Rashford the obvious one I suppose, even advertises for NatWest! Not cost him is career

Fowler had a Dockers t shirt I think

Reese James genuinely supports his sister and Chelsea Woman

Rashford did a lot of good charity work which he should rightly be applauded for. Fowler pulled up his shirt revealing support for the dockers, great but hardly a carer defining moment. I am sure many footballers have their own personal charities or organisations that they help out with. Mane gives a lot back home, I seem to remember an ex Spurs player did the same and built a Mosque back in his home town in Mali.

The people I mentioned did something that the knew could very well end their carer and make them a target (potentially on their lives) for years to come.

This modern day thing of different colour shoelaces or taking a knee (So we can show how anti racist we are and just forget the decades of fruit throwing fans, how poorly black players were treated etc.....) Is hardly taking a stand.

And now we have all this "Evil Saudi empire taking over our blessed sport" Where was all this virtue signaling for the past 20 or 30 years? The media need to get over it nobody is fooled especially considering this is the same media who were more than happy to make racist remarks about our own national team players not so long ago. (Oh how the Scottish media joked about the sale of fruit near the Celtic ground when Mark Walters came to play, oh how the newspapers made routine racist remarks about Ian Wright when he was playing)

They must think people have short memories.

Yep indeed.

That Thomas Hitzburger speaks on gay issues I suppose

And didn't some of the class of 92, Neville et al set up a training college next to Old Trafford (cricket)

Matthew Le Tessier turn down the bright lights so he could be a COVID denier

Last edited by xxnick1975; 30th July 2023 at 14:24.

Blog Entries
    I've just watched the Man City - Athletico Madrid pre-season friendly.

In summary - City started brightly, made lots of changes at HT & as a result the 2nd half was a pretty ragged performance.

Mateo Kovačić seems to be getting better accustomed to the Pep system - but Kalvin Phillips still dwells on the ball too long & gets caught out.

Much like Kovačić was in is his early games - but Phillips has had much longer & still seems ill at ease in that central midfield role.

João Cancelo had quite a few iffy moments too.

All IMHO of course.

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Can someone please show me the one English premier league player that has actually stood up for his cause publicly knowing it could cost him his career but in the name of civil rights/equality/support for the poor etc.... did so anyway?

I mean it near cost Kaepernick his career, likewise the athletes Smith, Norman and Carlos
    John Terry was pretty vocal - it cost him the England captaincy but otherwise he seems to have got away with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    John Terry was pretty vocal - it cost him the England captaincy but otherwise he seems to have got away with it.
    Vocal about what? Wasn't he stripped for sleeping with a team mates wife?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    John Terry didnt lose his captaincy over that.

Well yes he was very vocal I am sure he was/is much loved amongst the far right.

Whatever your opinion may be of Rio Ferdinand it was horrible to hear him talk about the threats and intimidation his brother and family went through during that trial you could hear the raw emotion in his voice.

A
    Last edited by robert75; 30th July 2023 at 16:39.

Master
    He was vocal about Anton Ferdinand’s skin colour.

The assault charges (dropped) and the alleged affair were the first 2 times affecting his England place - this was the third. A true role model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    He was vocal about Anton Ferdinand’s skin colour.

The assault charges (dropped) and the alleged affair were the first 2 times affecting his England place - this was the third. A true role model.
    Indeed, nasty piece of work

Indeed, nasty piece of work
    Not sure I recall the moral outrage from players and media at the time regarding "our captain" nor what Anton and his family went through.

How did Anton's career go on the back of all that compared to John Terry?

Wasnt the only one, remember a certain Man United goalkeeper?

Looks like Arteta is displaying Pep and Fergie levels of ruthlessness- seems they are signing Raya from Brentford to replace Ramsdale as they feel Ramsdale isn't good enough at playing the ball out from the back!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Looks like Arteta is displaying Pep and Fergie levels of ruthlessness- seems they are signing Raya from Brentford to replace Ramsdale as they feel Ramsdale isn't good enough at playing the ball out from the back!
    Even though ramsdale is the most valuable goalkeeper in the world ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Mbappe to Liverpool looks a done deal, apparently. That's the league won for them then!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-loan-30583941

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Even though ramsdale is the most valuable goalkeeper in the world ?

PMSL

It's cute how tetchy Liverpool fans are now that Arsenal have come out of nowhere and replaced them as the main bona-fide challengers to City.

Master
    Just pointing out how daft your previous posts have been Ryan.

Nothing tetchy from me, full expect Arsenal to struggle for top 4 finish this year.

I don’t think any City fan is worried about Arsenal this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Just pointing out how daft your previous posts have been Ryan.

Nothing tetchy from me, full expect Arsenal to struggle for top 4 finish this year.

I don’t think any City fan is worried about Arsenal this year.

How adorable x

How adorable x
    fair to say you've posted a fair amount of tosh of late, though.

Looks like Sofyan Amrabat is another PL target off to Saudi - Al Ahli offering (literally) a King's ransom in wages

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    fair to say you've posted a fair amount of tosh of late, though.
    Of late ??

Just been playing on the BBC website. What say you, Ryan (and I pretty much gifted you the LB berth)?

I'll do one shortly but there seems to be no William Saliba option on the website?

Just been playing on the BBC website. What say you, Ryan (and I pretty much gifted you the LB berth)?

I'll do one shortly but there seems to be no William Saliba option on the website?
    I didn't think it mattered.

I didn't think it mattered.
    Saliba gets in ahead of Laporte or Dias IMHO
    Last edited by ryanb741; 4th August 2023 at 09:19.

Anyway here's my team. No Saliba option but if it was there I'd replace Timber with Saliba. Edit damn I meant to put Rodri instead of Cancelo I will update

Lots of goals in this team!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 4th August 2023 at 09:17.

No Bernardo Silva !!! I’ve had the pleasure of watching him at many many games and his work rate, skill and adaptability mean he’s first name on the teamsheet for me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    No Bernardo Silva !!! I’ve had the pleasure of watching him at many many games and his work rate, skill and adaptability mean he’s first name on the teamsheet for me

I nearly went that route instead of Saka. However, I was conscious that Arsenal have the most valuable squad in world football so wanted to squeeze two or three in there

Blog Entries
    This …

But only if Cancelo plays nice with the rest of the team.

z

I thought he had left for some reason. If that's not the case I'd replace Jesus and put Silva in. Agree, top quality player who makes things happen.

Master
    Anyway here's my team. No Saliba option but if it was there I'd replace Timber with Saliba. Edit damn I meant to put Rodri instead of Cancelo I will update

Ryan you’re one of the best wind up merchants in the forum.

I thought he had left for some reason. If that's not the case I'd replace Jesus and put Silva in. Agree, top quality player who makes things happen.
    He is still with us. His wife is desperate to leave Manchester and he’s won everything and would command decent transfer fee. Would be gutted if he left.

Until last year he lived in the apartment complex shared with my offices and he parked his very modest Audi near me. Always a gentleman to say hi to.

Last couple of summers he has been close to leaving but such a consummate professional he doesn’t throw a hissy fit and just stays and puts 3 shifts in. His performance against Madrid in this years semi final was just joyful

*sigh* Jesus already out for a few weeks due to further op on the stuffed knee that kept him out last season. Can't believe you left Pepe out tbh. Oh well, will get a day out to watch Saka sit on the bench on Sunday and Havertz miss many many many chances. #onlyheretowatchtheCiteh will give a wave from lower tier (Arsenal end)

Jesus getting injured is a terrible start to the season, Nketiah is pure trash, always talks a good game. I hope Arteta just plays Martenelli up top.

And this is what happens if you take drugs kids .
    Just say no .

He is still with us. His wife is desperate to leave Manchester and he’s won everything and would command decent transfer fee. Would be gutted if he left.

Until last year he lived in the apartment complex shared with my offices and he parked his very modest Audi near me. Always a gentleman to say hi to.

Last couple of summers he has been close to leaving but such a consummate professional he doesn’t throw a hissy fit and just stays and puts 3 shifts in. His performance against Madrid in this years semi final was just joyful

I don’t blame him for wanting a fresh challenge. PSG are a joke of a club, Barca have got no money to afford Silva unless they’ve got a magic stash down the back of a sofa somewhere or they going raiding future revenues yet again.

I hope, with Gundogan already left, he stays one more season, giving City time to find an adequate replacement if that’s even possible. He’s a magician of a footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Jesus getting injured is a terrible start to the season, Nketiah is pure trash, always talks a good game. I hope Arteta just plays Martenelli up top.

Ooh.

<quick alteration of my FF team>
    Cheers,
    Neil.

If the Gvardiol deal goes through he gets there ahead of Diaz and if the Raya deal goes through I'd argue he gets in front of Ederson.

If the Gvardiol deal goes through he gets there ahead of Diaz and if the Raya deal goes through I'd argue he gets in front of Ederson.
    I'd expect Diaz and Gvardiol to be nailed on starters. Unless they sign Saliba, obvs.

If the Gvardiol deal goes through he gets there alongside Dias and if the Raya deal goes through I'd argue he gets in front of Ramshackle but well behind Ederson.
    FTFY .

Blog Entries
    Josko Gvardiol deal just announced ... does that mean Laporte exits ?

z

Where's John Sones in all of this. He was the greatest living Englishman for the last couple of months of the season, now nobody picks him!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Where's John Sones in all of this. He was the greatest living Englishman for the last couple of months of the season, now nobody picks him!

Midfield. ;)

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Josko Gvardiol deal just announced ... does that mean Laporte exits ?

z
    I do think Laporte will be the one to make way . I’m surprised there aren’t more clubs in the market for him. He’s a Spain international and an excellent defender. I’m expecting him to return to La Liga .
    Gvardiol is an excellent signing .
    Now that the rest of the PL has worked Haaland out , not conceding will be very important . This guy alongside Dias will be formidable .

Premier League 2023-24

Spurs defence would surely benefit from any cast off

Agreed, Saliba for Laporte for me.

I think Gvardiol is a fabulous signing, he’s a classy beast.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I do think Laporte will be the one to make way . I’m surprised there aren’t more clubs in the market for him. He’s a Spain international and an excellent defender. I’m expecting him to return to La Liga .
    Gvardiol is an excellent signing .
    Now that the rest of the PL has worked Haaland out , not conceding will be very important . This guy alongside Dias will be formidable .

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Spurs defence would surely benefit from any cast off
    Have you seen who’s flying in tomorrow for a medical?

Gvardiol is the best defender in the world right now and a bargain for him as he is only 22. City are lucky to have him, class player.

Master
    Have you seen who’s flying in tomorrow for a medical?
    Uncapped Dutch guy?