timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 88 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,400 of 5492

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    IMHO VVD is a superb footballer.
    Allison is also a fantastic goalkeeper . It’s the media driven narrative that they are “ the best in the world ever “ that grates . It’s the same at Nited . A couple of good games and you’re the greatest ever .
    It’s patronising and generally waffle but people fall for it time and again .
    I’m pleased Arsenal won because they will drop more points in the run up than Liverpool.
    Still , the title race is on .
    #BoringbecauseCityalwayswin
    im not expecting any rational engagement but ill give it a go,

i can understand the van dijk comment, imo, on his day he is as good a CB as you will see, but there are dozens of excellent CBs plying their trade, i dont think he is the worlds best (he may have been for a season or two). But anywhere you look Alisson is in the top 3/4 GKs in the world with Ter Stegen, Courtois and Ederson and normally listed as the best. He was also the second most expensive so he should be bloody good. Im not sure why you think its a couple of good games and you are the best ever, he has been excellent for years, and before he joined liverpool.

Anyway another ruthless display from city last night, i hope we are in with a shout when we play them in March but im worried we may not be.

It’s called an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I find it deeply ironic when people who have a common interest in the sport as well as in other walks of life (watches here) can go for each other's jugular metaphorically here and literally in the stands but call "child" a manager -whose raison d'être (and mortgage) depends on a good result- releases the pressure he and others have put on him when the whistle blows the end of a match.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    im not expecting any rational engagement but ill give it a go,

i can understand the van dijk comment, imo, on his day he is as good a CB as you will see, but there are dozens of excellent CBs plying their trade, i dont think he is the worlds best (he may have been for a season or two). But anywhere you look Alisson is in the top 3/4 GKs in the world with Ter Stegen, Courtois and Ederson and normally listed as the best. He was also the second most expensive so he should be bloody good. Im not sure why you think its a couple of good games and you are the best ever, he has been excellent for years, and before he joined liverpool.

Anyway another ruthless display from city last night, i hope we are in with a shout when we play them in March but im worried we may not be.
    You don’t get “rational engagement” because you always attach a little barb.
    “ But I’ll give it a go “ ? Patronizing much ?

I’ve pointed out the qualities of the two mentioned and I’ve already agreed that they are two of the best players in their respective positions . What is annoying time and again is the media narrative that they are the best in the world . Ad nauseum, we are told that Liverpool have the best goalie, the best two fullbacks ( and best backup left back ) centre half pairing, best midfield and the greatest strike force assembled . Coupled with the greatest manager to ever draw breath , then it’s obvious why your club has been so dominant ,trophy wise, in the last number of seasons.

Plus, if you read my post, the theme was generally aimed at our scruffier neighbours .

Master
    You don’t get “rational engagement” because you always attach a little barb.
    “ But I’ll give it a go “ ? Patronizing much ?

I’ve pointed out the qualities of the two mentioned and I’ve already agreed that they are two of the best players in their respective positions . What is annoying time and again is the media narrative that they are the best in the world . Ad nauseum, we are told that Liverpool have the best goalie, the best two fullbacks ( and best backup left back ) centre half pairing, best midfield and the greatest strike force assembled . Coupled with the greatest manager to ever draw breath , then it’s obvious why your club has been so dominant ,trophy wise, in the last number of seasons.

Plus, if you read my post, the theme was generally aimed at our scruffier neighbours .
    well at least you responded,

so we are agreed then Alisson is the best goalkeeper in the world? im not really sure the rest has happened all at the same time, salah, mane and firminho as a 3 were as good as anyone but our midfield hasnt been the best in the world since we have Xabi Alonso, momo sissoko, gerrard and mascheranooooooooo. Nor do i recall anyone saying or CB pairing was the best in the world.

On managers my opinion is this, if i had two mid table teams with the exact same players i would back klopp to get more out of them than pep, if i had the best players in the world id want pep.
    Last edited by cyrusir; 6th February 2024 at 13:41.

Master
    Good analysis of how arteta won the tactical battle:

https://theathletic.com/5251593/2024...klopp-tactics/

Good analysis of how arteta won the tactical battle:

https://theathletic.com/5251593/2024...klopp-tactics/
    Thing is we've been good in the crunch games all season. City only managed 1 shot on target against us as well.

What is very possible though is we get turned over at West Ham at the weekend and that's where consistency matters.

Come on chaps, no need for arguments, it's only a game.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Come on chaps, no need for arguments, it's only a game.
    so,
    Put up a real good fight,
    I'm gonna be snookering you tonight.
    I'm famed for my aim, so
    Y'better believe I'm right,
    I'm gonna be snookering you,
    Snookering you tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well at least you responded,

so we are agreed then Alisson is the best goalkeeper in the world? im not really sure the rest has happened all at the same time, salah, mane and firminho as a 3 were as good as anyone but our midfield hasnt been the best in the world since we have Xabi Alonso, momo sissoko, gerrard and mascheranooooooooo. Nor do i recall anyone saying or CB pairing was the best in the world.

On managers my opinion is this, if i had two mid table teams with the exact same players i would back klopp to get more out of them than pep, if i had the best players in the world id want pep.
    Nope
    Allison makes far too many crucial mistakes to be given that honour . He’s good for four or five a season at least that cost direct goals . Sometimes two in a game . He’s suspect on crosses and doesn’t like the physical side . His distribution isn’t the best .
    His shot stopping and one on ones are outstanding but his communication with his defenders is laughable at times.
    You’ll take Allison, I’ll take Ederson, Ortega, Raya and Martinez before him.

I’m glad that the Pep v Klopp comparison is only your opinion . Because it doesn’t hold any water whatsoever.

Just for you Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Walking back home through the Bentall Centre in Kingston I saw what looked like Richarlison in Mappin & Webb. Thought nothing about it and carried on home which is 100 yards away. As part of our home complex there's a Doubletree Hotel and this is parked in front of it.

Master
    Nope
    Allison makes far too many crucial mistakes to be given that honour . He’s good for four or five a season at least that cost direct goals . Sometimes two in a game . He’s suspect on crosses and doesn’t like the physical side . His distribution isn’t the best .
    His shot stopping and one on ones are outstanding but his communication with his defenders is laughable at times.

I’m glad that the Pep v Klopp comparison is only your opinion . Because it doesn’t hold any water whatsoever.
    Sure its all just opinions isnt it, and its not as if guardiola has ever worked with clubs with limited players so it would be very hard for you to make an argument otherwise.

On your anecdotal view of alisson, it holds very very little water

https://www.football365.com/news/fea...man-utd-de-gea

Master
    I’ll just add Alisson has higher statistics in every measure bar kicking length compared to Ederson.

*popcorn*

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I’ll just add Alisson has higher statistics in every measure bar kicking length compared to Ederson.

*popcorn*

I'd also add bar number of Premier League Titles.....

Is that Mr & Mrs Mourinho walking towards you?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Walking back home through the Bentall Centre in Kingston I saw what looked like Richarlison in Mappin & Webb. Thought nothing about it and carried on home which is 100 yards away. As part of our home complex there's a Doubletree Hotel and this is parked in front of it.

*popcorn*

Except trophies

*champagne*

Sure its all just opinions isnt it, and its not as if guardiola has ever worked with clubs with limited players so it would be very hard for you to make an argument otherwise.

On your anecdotal view of alisson, it holds very very little water

https://www.football365.com/news/fea...man-utd-de-gea
    What actually is that ?
    When you click on the updated version, Allison is No 10 . Is he now the tenth best goalie in the league ? What a pile of washing .
    I prefer to make my judgement on watching an actual football match than a mathematical formula .

What actually is that ?
    When you click on the updated version, Allison is No 10 . Is he now the tenth best goalie in the league ? What a pile of washing .
    I prefer to make my judgement on watching an actual football match than a mathematical formula .
    When I read that Onana was ranked higher than Alisson and Ederson I quickly exited that page.

When I read that Onana was ranked higher than Alisson and Ederson I quickly exited that page.
    Post shot expected goals ? Anyone ? Absolute gobbledegook.

Reminds me of when Liverpool would’ve won the league if goals from outside the box counted double .

Master
    Except trophies

*champagne*
    Darren Fletcher has won more honours than De Bruyne !

All we can base it on really is the Brazil managers opinion and he rates Alisson over Ederson.

Every important fixture Alisson starts for Brazil.

Master
    What actually is that ?
    so you prefer your own bias to statistics,

fair enough you must wear some thick prescription specs if you are taking martinez and raya over alli.

All we can base it on really is the Brazil managers opinion and he rates Alisson over Ederson.

Every important fixture Alisson starts for Brazil.

Ivan
    Slow down and read any of my posts. Have I at any time said that Ederson is better than Allison ? Anywhere?
    I prefer Ederson because he complements Citys style of play . You probably think that Allison is better suited to your hoof ball kick and rush game ( that’s a joke btw ). Their stats are remarkably similar . I just prefer Eddy . He’s either very lucky or the mistakes he makes don’t result in as many goals as your fellas .
    Plus, come on , the Brazil manager prefers him ? What does that metric show ? The England manager prefers Henderson to Foden ffs.

I don’t even know how this became a comparison between the two .

so you prefer your own bias to statistics,

fair enough you must wear some thick prescription specs if you are taking martinez and raya over alli.
    Yeah, whatever.
    Using the really informative link you posted, Flekken is currently bottom of the goalkeeper charts . Last night he faced 15 on target shots and dealt with 12 of them . According to your PSxG or some other algebra nonsense , he would’ve hurtled up that table last night and would probably sit comfortably in the top six . On one game !!
    In my day, we would just say he had a worldie .

I can’t believe I actually went and checked that .
    Luckily , like most of your posts, it’s complete crap.

Wink

Is that Mr & Mrs Mourinho walking towards you?

Well he normally parks the bus.Does he not.

Master
    Yeah, whatever.
    Using the really informative link you posted, Flekken is currently bottom of the goalkeeper charts . Last night he faced 15 on target shots and dealt with 12 of them . According to your PSxG or some other algebra nonsense , he would’ve hurtled up that table last night and would probably sit comfortably in the top six . On one game !!
    In my day, we would just say he had a worldie .
    Calm down chief you’ll do yourself a mischief , as I said if you look at any publication Allison will be listed among the top goalies in the world, the article I linked took a whole season and looked at goals conceded v expected goals conceded, not a difficult concept , that also shows him in a very good light against other pl keepers, feel free to disregard it if you choose and keep that keen eye of yours on players so you can feedback to the rest of us who is good and who isn’t .

its a wonder you aren’t on the official payroll as a scout somewhere .

Master
    I can’t believe I actually went and checked that .
    Luckily , like most of your posts, it’s complete crap.
    Ha that was meant as an easy trigger post.

Fletcher definitely won a fair few though, I’d suspect more than 99% of the premiership players.

I’d say Liverpool have 4 world class players - Alisson, Virgil, Trent and Salah.

City - KDB, Rodri, Foden, Haaland, Bernando.

Arsenal - Odegaard, possibly Rice

The rest I don’t think contain a world class players.

Couldn’t potentially argue maybe 1 more for each of the three above but I think most would agree with who I’ve picked.

Calm down chief you’ll do yourself a mischief , as I said if you look at any publication Allison will be listed among the top goalies in the world, the article I linked took a whole season and looked at goals conceded v expected goals conceded, not a difficult concept , that also shows him in a very good light against other pl keepers, feel free to disregard it if you choose and keep that keen eye of yours on players so you can feedback to the rest of us who is good and who isn’t .

its a wonder you aren’t on the official payroll as a scout somewhere .
    And , as I’ve said, this years stats in your example have Allison at No 10 .
    I’ll ask you again. Is Allison the tenth best goalkeeper in the Premier League at this point of the season ?
    I disregard it ( and most of the nonsense in Transfermarkt etc) because it’s generally nonsense. The game has become stats obsessed and I think it’s been alluded to on here before, stats can be bent most ways to suit a narrative .
    The only ones that count are goals for and goals against .

I wonder what people’s thoughts are on the proposed meeting of the PL clubs to remove the Profit and Sustainability directive with a newer form of finance which will allow a club to invest up to 70% of its turnover in player funding ? Surely it’s designed to keep the status quo quashing any dreams the likes of Newcastle and Villa would have of getting a seat at the top table ?
    Personally, I think it stinks . It doesn5 take a genius to see who is driving this . I just hope the rest of the teams don’t think short term and vote for it .
    The European Super League is not finished and rule changes like this will only increase its likelihood.

Not Premier League but the Plymouth v Leeds game tonight has been a proper FA Cup tie. Rain, wind, mud and no VAR. Rob Jones refereed it perfectly, I don’t think he got anything wrong all night. Cracking game.

Not Premier League but the Plymouth v Leeds game tonight has been a proper FA Cup tie. Rain, wind, mud and no VAR. Rob Jones refereed it perfectly, I don’t think he got anything wrong all night. Cracking game.
    Southampton play Liverpool at Anfield next. Saints on a 24 match unbeaten run - Liverpool will need to put their first XI out I reckon else they run the risk of going out.

Craftsman
    Ha that was meant as an easy trigger post.

Fletcher definitely won a fair few though, I’d suspect more than 99% of the premiership players.

I’d say Liverpool have 4 world class players - Alisson, Virgil, Trent and Salah.

City - KDB, Rodri, Foden, Haaland, Bernando.

Arsenal - Odegaard, possibly Rice

The rest I don’t think contain a world class players.

Couldn’t potentially argue maybe 1 more for each of the three above but I think most would agree with who I’ve picked.

Kyle Walker is world class. Probably put Dias in that bracket too. Don't think Foden deserves to be there - yet.

Arsenal came close to winning the best league in the world last season and are competing for it again this season... But only have 1 world class player Saliba and Gabriel are both insanely good CBs. Martinelli and Saka would be taken by any team in the world if there was a sniff of getting them.

I agree with the 4 from Liverpool and a fit Robbo gets in too, he's unbelievable and I love watching him play for Scotland ??????

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

IMHO 'world class' means the player would get in a squad of the best players in the world in their position. So a team of 11 plus maybe 7 on the bench.

In that context Liverpool have 1 World Class player (Salah).

Man City have 3 (Haaland, De Bruyne, Rodri).

Arsenal have none.

All 3 sides have several excellent players but I think the phrase 'world class' is bandied about rather easily IMHO.

Amended.

IMHO 'world class' means the player would get in a squad of the best players in the world in their position. So a team of 11 plus maybe 7 on the bench.

In that context Liverpool have 1 World Class player (Salah).

Man City have 3 (Walker, Haaland, De Bruyne, Rodri).

Arsenal have none.

All 3 sides have several excellent players but I think the phrase 'world class' is bandied about rather easily IMHO.

Master
    And , as I’ve said, this years stats in your example have Allison at No 10 .
    I’ll ask you again. Is Allison the tenth best goalkeeper in the Premier League at this point of the season ?
    I disregard it ( and most of the nonsense in Transfermarkt etc) because it’s generally nonsense. The game has become stats obsessed and I think it’s been alluded to on here before, stats can be bent most ways to suit a narrative .
    The only ones that count are goals for and goals against .
    again as i pointed it the link was for a full season, statistical anamolies tend to even out over a longer period.

anyway i have Alisson as one of the best goalkeepers in the world, top 3 or 4, you disagree, quell suprise.

Master
    I wonder what people’s thoughts are on the proposed meeting of the PL clubs to remove the Profit and Sustainability directive with a newer form of finance which will allow a club to invest up to 70% of its turnover in player funding ? Surely it’s designed to keep the status quo quashing any dreams the likes of Newcastle and Villa would have of getting a seat at the top table ?
    Personally, I think it stinks . It doesn5 take a genius to see who is driving this . I just hope the rest of the teams don’t think short term and vote for it .
    The European Super League is not finished and rule changes like this will only increase its likelihood.
    FFP is also there to protect clubs from themselves, for every state/oligarch backed club is one that has been ruined by people who dont have unlimited means (and even the oligarchs have come a cropper).

again as i pointed it the link was for a full season, statistical anamolies tend to even out over a longer period.

anyway i have Alisson as one of the best goalkeepers in the world, top 3 or 4, you disagree, quell suprise.
    Show me where I’ve said Allison isn’t in the top 3 or 4 .
    Anywhere ?

Do you ever find yourself arguing on your own ?

Master
    Nope

Thats only PL keepers so you have him 5th here, bit forgetful are we?

Thats only PL keepers so you have him 5th here, bit forgetful are we?
    Doesn’t say I don’t think he’s top 3 or 4.
    Just that I’d prefer the others mentioned .
    Sigh

FFP is also there to protect clubs from themselves, for every state/oligarch backed club is one that has been ruined by people who dont have unlimited means (and even the oligarchs have come a cropper).
    It’s got nothing to do with that but you already knew. It’s cementing the places for the top 6 and everyone else can just whistle.
    Unlike you and your lot, I don’t think City have a divine right to be near the top. I welcome competition and . Shock , horror. Other clubs winning trophies .
    It’s not fair now and this ruling is likely to mean it never will be .
    Best for Liverpool to stick with the penniless FSG right ?

Master
    Sigh
    Sigh indeed

- - - Updated - - -

It’s got nothing to do with that but you already knew. It’s cementing the places for the top 6 and everyone else can just whistle.
    Unlike you and your lot, I don’t think City have a divine right to be near the top. I welcome competition and . Shock , horror. Other clubs winning trophies .
    It’s not fair now and this ruling is likely to mean it never will be .
    Best for Liverpool to stick with the penniless FSG right ?
    you welcome competition or welcome being able to freely spend more of your fabricated 'commercial' revenue?

Master
    Sigh
    Haha classic.

Currently watching Nigeria vs South Africa in the Afcon. Neither keeper has conceded a goal in over 700 minutes.

Unsurprisingly the score is 0-0 currently....

Sigh indeed

- - - Updated - - -

you welcome competition or welcome being able to freely spend more of your fabricated 'commercial' revenue?
    You should give BDO or Deloitte a ring .
    They could do with a financial wizard like you .

Amended.
    No way does Kyle Walker get near a World XI as 1st choice right back.

He's an excellent player but some PL right backs are better (eg Porro at Spurs and you could argue Trent at Liverpool too).
    Last edited by ryanb741; 7th February 2024 at 18:55.

Master
    You should give BDO or Deloitte a ring .
    They could do with a financial wizard like you .
    The fact they are using a second tier firm like BDO for their audit should set off alarm bells for you goat, and i guess we will find out when the PL release their findings wont we before the inevitable multi year appeal.

We don’t need to wait remember?
    You and your ilk have already decided that City are guilty , no ?

No way does Kyle Walker get near a World XI as 1st choice right back.
    Fark the football - Kyle Walker makes a decent playing away from home adulterous sh@gbag given he was in the news last week with about 6 or 7 kids to his name (roughly half and a bit and half between his wife and his tart)
    One from the Boris Johnson School of morality.......
    Scurrilous tw@t.
    Imagine how good at footy he'd really be if he kept his tackle in his shorts!!!
    Last edited by reggie747; 8th February 2024 at 14:08.

Very good performance from Chelsea in the cup last night. Villa didn't really turn up until late in the second half

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Very good performance from Chelsea in the cup last night. Villa didn't really turn up until late in the second half

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Yes and I don't think we caught Chelsea offside at all, a hallmark of Emery's time with Villa. I think Emery's first-choice back four is Konsa, Torres, Mings and Digne (with Digne compensating more for not having a winger on the left - we have Bailey and Diaby covering the right side), all of whom are injured, and with the dual liabilities of Carlos and third-choice left-sided CB Lenglet in defence our whole game plan was out the window with no one leading at the back. Torres is coming back from injury but Konsa is a massive loss. I don't think he's missed a PL match in the last two seasons. Uncharacteristic errors from Villa's midfield didn't help at all. Chelsea did very well but Villa presented it to them on a plate.
    "A man of little significance"