closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 31 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 5470

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

I thought it was an average game spoiled by terrible officiating. The inconsistency in decision making, even two minutes apart, is inexcusable. Rice and Saliba were fantastic and I agree with Ryan that Trossard is getting the shitty end of the stick here as he's a much more effective player than Havertz. Tommy Lascelles isn't top end premier league standard though.

Palace are tidy and efficient, exactly what I'd expect from a Woy team. Same old story for them though, no goal scorer.

Wow!

Imagine the celebrations from the Arsenal players, if they won a cup! Or the Premiership or even the treble!

( Though saying that? Im a Man. United fan...so wont be seeing them celebrating much at all!).

Last edited by ryanb741; 22nd August 2023 at 15:14.

Master
    I'm always wary clicking on a google link that has arse in it!

Master
    Good to see common sense prevailed and Mcallister’s red card has been overturned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Good to see common sense prevailed and Mcallister’s red card has been overturned.

Quite right 👍

Master
    Blog Entries

Yup. Should have been sorted in quick fashion and him kept on the pitch though.

If only they could rescind the penalty decision for the dive too .

Looks like Arsenal in for Evan Ferguson of Brighton. £100m again being bandied around as a figure. IMHO I'd rather get Mitoma, knowing Arteta he'd play Ferguson at right back....

Master
    Brighton owners must think they've won the lottery at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Brighton owners must think they've won the lottery at the moment
    Surely the best signing would be to sign Brighton's scouting team?!!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    They totally missed the point though. Tomyisu ran over to take the throw in after it had already taken 15 seconds and then delayed further. Think of it in terms of whether it would be OK if the whole side systematically queued up to have their own 8 seconds before passing it on to the next player, there's a fair window for a team to take the throw in and fall outside of that, the person in charge of the ball is the one that rightly gets punished.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I thought it was an average game spoiled by terrible officiating. The inconsistency in decision making, even two minutes apart, is inexcusable. Rice and Saliba were fantastic and I agree with Ryan that Trossard is getting the shitty end of the stick here as he's a much more effective player than Havertz. Tommy Lascelles isn't top end premier league standard though.

Palace are tidy and efficient, exactly what I'd expect from a Woy team. Same old story for them though, no goal scorer.
    Most fullbacks take the throws ins, Tomyisu was in his own half ran/jogged all way up to Havertz and got punished for taking a throw in.
    Last Saturdays game Fulham v Brentford, Brentford did the same thing as Havertz and Tomyisu all game but never got booked.

What if Havertz or any other player just left the ball, would the next player who touch the ball get carded? Similar to leaving a freekick to the goalkeeper where he has to leave his penalty area and up to the halfway line.

I think everyone would agreed the officiating in this game and other games had been very poor, Ayew deliberated fouled Saka in a better attacking position and in the Palace half, the referee didn't issue a card to Ayew and maybe because none of the Arsenal were asking for a card.

Trossard does a lot with the ball but Havertz does alot of running off the ball, unfortunately he doesn't receive the ball for all that work he has done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Most fullbacks take the throws ins, Tomyisu was in his own half ran/jogged all way up to Havertz and got punished for taking a throw in.
    Last Saturdays game Fulham v Brentford, Brentford did the same thing as Havertz and Tomyisu all game but never got booked.

What if Havertz or any other player just left the ball, would the next player who touch the ball get carded? Similar to leaving a freekick to the goalkeeper where he has to leave his penalty area and up to the halfway line.
    No idea what the rule is but this shows what happened.

https://x.com/skysportspl/status/1693956432314699920

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    If only they could rescind the penalty decision for the dive too .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Looks like Arsenal in for Evan Ferguson of Brighton. £100m again being bandied around as a figure. IMHO I'd rather get Mitoma, knowing Arteta he'd play Ferguson at right back....
    Reminds me of Rooney

They have an entire scouting company.

Greenwood

All I can say is kudos to Rachel Riley! Disgraceful management of the situation (and subsequent statement) from the club.

I’m a BHA season ticket holder. It’s a lot more sophisticated than that. The owner Tony Bloom set up a company to analyse sporting data, not revolutionary in itself, but the way it works for him and Brighton is pretty special.
    The model at Brighton is based on succession, Brighton know people will leave, indeed the way we get them in the first place is on the understanding they have a pathway to other teams.
    The key is that when someone leaves there will be someone already there to take their place. Best example was Bissouma leaving and Caicedo stepping up. BTW I don’t think Caicedo will be replaced by a single player, as he’s that special but he should have gone to Liverpool. Chelsea is a basket case of a club at the moment.

Chelsea thought they could buy success when they took Potter and then came back for the whole backroom staff, and then the head of recruitment Winstanley. Thankfully the succession policy clicked into gear. DeZerbi was on the radar. It also proved it was not about personnel but rather the system.
    Prior to Winstanley Newcastle pinched Ashworth in an attempt to replicate the model.
    The trouble is they don’t have access to the data that makes the model a success.

There are quite a few ready to make a big breakthrough that have been loaned out this year. That’s another quality, patience, Mitoma had a year in Belgium and then was bought back to quite good effect.
    The one to look out for this year is Simon Adingra.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    I’m a BHA season ticket holder. It’s a lot more sophisticated than that. The owner Tony Bloom set up a company to analyse sporting data, not revolutionary in itself, but the way it works for him and Brighton is pretty special.
    The model at Brighton is based on succession, Brighton know people will leave, indeed the way we get them in the first place is on the understanding they have a pathway to other teams.
    The key is that when someone leaves there will be someone already there to take their place. Best example was Bissouma leaving and Caicedo stepping up. BTW I don’t think Caicedo will be replaced by a single player, as he’s that special but he should have gone to Liverpool. Chelsea is a basket case of a club at the moment.

Chelsea thought they could buy success when they took Potter and then came back for the whole backroom staff, and then the head of recruitment Winstanley. Thankfully the succession policy clicked into gear. DeZerbi was on the radar. It also proved it was not about personnel but rather the system.
    Prior to Winstanley Newcastle pinched Ashworth in an attempt to replicate the model.
    The trouble is they don’t have access to the data that makes the model a success.

There are quite a few ready to make a big breakthrough that have been loaned out this year. That’s another quality, patience, Mitoma had a year in Belgium and then was bought back to quite good effect.
    That's a very interesting insight into some reasons for Brighton's success.

Good luck to them (except this Saturday) , a breath of fresh air.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That's a very interesting insight into some reasons for Brighton's success.

Good luck to them (except this Saturday) , a breath of fresh air.
    Thanks I’m expecting a tough test Saturday!

Fab overview, thanks for taking the time to outline it. Certainly seems to be paying off!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Wow.
    Who would’ve thought that clashing shadows was now a penalty offence .
    At least show the full thing
    https://twitter.com/alfieowen2014/st...843441513?s=20

Thanks I’m expecting a tough test Saturday!

A mate of mine works for the Sports Betting company Tony Bloom set up and we've been in their box for the last couple of BHA v WHU matches. They have not been happy viewing from a West Ham perspective and I'm not confident for this weekend either!

It's a great set up, all data and algorithm based and they've got teams of people looking at all the major football leagues and a lot of minor ones, plus cricket, rugby etc etc... wherever there's a decent sized betting market they'll be analysing it. I get the impression the scouting side is actually a byproduct of having all that data available. If any of the analysts come across a potential prospect they're encouraged to pass it up the chain and if it comes to anything they get rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    A mate of mine works for the Sports Betting company Tony Bloom set up and we've been in their box for the last couple of BHA v WHU matches. They have not been happy viewing from a West Ham perspective and I'm not confident for this weekend either!

It's a great set up, all data and algorithm based and they've got teams of people looking at all the major football leagues and a lot of minor ones, plus cricket, rugby etc etc... wherever there's a decent sized betting market they'll be analysing it. I get the impression the scouting side is actually a byproduct of having all that data available. If any of the analysts come across a potential prospect they're encouraged to pass it up the chain and if it comes to anything they get rewarded.
    It’s seems Bloom has the Midas touch, not a bad sideline to a business model.
    To be clear Bloom and his family have had an interest in BHA over generations. Bloom can be seen on trains traveling to away games on occasion and when at Brentford sits with the fans as he won’t go in their directors box.
    Here’s an interesting article primarily around the fallout between Bloom and the Brentford owner, but also serves to explain to some extent why Brentford are doing so well.

https://theathletic.com/3029279/2023...entford/?amp=1

Similar kind of thing at Watford and Southampton in the past.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Very tough match for Villa tonight.....

Master
    The financial disparity between those 2 teams is massive,
    I thought Hibs might have been a bit better at home but a total mismatch.

Craftsman
    A squad with a value of £400 million against a squad with a value of £12 million, were you expecting something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    A squad with a value of £400 million against a squad with a value of £12 million, were you expecting something different?
    Dutch, Belgium, Portuguese, Swiss leagues all seem to be able to put up a better show add to that teams from Poland, Ukraine, Czech Republic etc……

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Dutch, Belgium, Portuguese, Swiss leagues all seem to be able to put up a better show add to that teams from Poland, Ukraine, Czech Republic etc……
    Every league you mention apart from the Swiss has a tv deal at the worst with Poland at 2 and a half times the Scottish league up to the Portuguese on 6 times what the SPFL bring in, and the Swiss haven’t held their own in Europe for years. Hardly a good comparison.
    Hibs have spent £1.5 million on transfers in the last 2 seasons, that’s what Villa pay someone who came from the youth team.

UEFA in talks to have 1 Saudi team (excluding Newcastle) in the CL for the 2025 season

UEFA in talks to have 1 Saudi team (excluding Newcastle) in the CL for the 2025 season
    Of course they are, let me guess as a gesture of welcome they will host the final, also all the refs families and VAR will be held I mean hosted in Saudi for the entire duration of the "competition"

Master
    Great to see the solidarity against Saudi within the prem of teams refusing to sell players there and take the Saudi riyal .....oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Of course they are, let me guess as a gesture of welcome they will host the final, also all the refs families and VAR will be held I mean hosted in Saudi for the entire duration of the "competition"
    It's almost like they're diluting Champions League to make more money... the new format for 2024 smells more and more like a Europe League oh but like the Eurovision instead of Oz we'll get Saudi in 25...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61388244

Master
    FFP?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    FFP?
    Yeah for sure they'll need to do that by then so probably a crazy race now to build their league up and then they need to comply.

A renewal for Bernardo is some of the best news out of City lately .

Could Salah be tempted to join the Saudi revolution?

£150m offer from Al Ittihad for Salah.

Hopefully he knows he'd be playing at Al Ittihad and not the Etihad.

Here's an interesting stat

Nicolas Pepe at Arsenal. 112 appearances, 27 goals, 27 assists.

Jadon Sancho and Antony combined at Man United - 127 appearances, 20 goals, 9 assists!

Master
    Here’s a more interesting stat ;

Jesus, Pepe, Martinelli, Saka, Pires ……

Arsenal appearances combined 527

Goals…… 147.

Salah LFC appearances 220

Goals …..138.

Master
    No wonder Saudi are buying him.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    No wonder Saudi are buying him.
    I think he's staying at Arsenal now

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Goals…… 147.

Goals …..138.

You’re on a roll lately Ivan.
    Very good .

I’ll just go and get the Vikings stats :)

I’d love to see Salah at City . One of those players that gets you off your seat , I’ve always loved watching him. He’d score and create bucketfuls at City with Haaland . And the boiled piss would be a delight to see.

Strange you didn't put Henry in there

Goals…… 147.

Goals …..138.

Master
    Strange you didn't put Henry in there
    Henry played 200 games for arsenal as a striker .

Salah is a winger.

If Salah had played all of his games as a striker he is goals to game ratio would be crazy.

Not necessarily. The two positions are very different. He may have scored considerably less goals as a striker.
    Henry played 200 games for arsenal as a striker .

Salah is a winger.

If Salah had played all of his games as a striker he is goals to game ratio would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Not necessarily. The two positions are very different. He may have scored considerably less goals as a striker.
    To be fair in 38 games last season Salah got 31 goal contributions (goals and assists) vs Saka's 25 over the same number of matches, and Salah is playing in a crap team, making it even harder so that needs to be applauded.

Nice to see Arteta is on the ball, Mitrovic having of course signed for Al Hilal last week.....

Last edited by ryanb741; 25th August 2023 at 14:37.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    You’re on a roll lately Ivan.
    Very good .

I’ll just go and get the Vikings stats :)

I’d love to see Salah at City . One of those players that gets you off your seat , I’ve always loved watching him. He’d score and create bucketfuls at City with Haaland . And the boiled piss would be a delight to see.
    I always remember the two he scored against City, the solo goal he scored in 2-2 draw season before last was insane and the lob from almost half way line in the 4-3 game. He’s not an out and out striker so I don’t think his goals to game ration would change that much myself. Love watching him play

VAR - the old pals' act -

"Mike Dean admits avoiding VAR call to spare referee (Anthony Taylor) ‘more grief’ last season"...

https://archive.is/0c4kD
    ______

​Jim.