closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 62 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 5476

Thread: Premier League 2023-24

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Newcastle fans
    What’s the feeling surrounding Gordon these days ?
    A mate of mine was fuming when he was transferred but absolutely loves him now .
    Arguably our most influential player after Bruno now.

He’s come into a really tight group with lots of quality in the 1st team but with his pace, tenacity and seemingly a decent ball player he’s been a great signing.

And now looks cheap at Ł45M.

I’d prefer less diving and rolling around but he’s not alone in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m one of those who needed to be convinced but convinced I am! The lad’s attitude is tremendous. Works so hard for the team, does loads of unselfish work to keep the pitch wide, links brilliantly and works hard at defending. He’s not been a pick of bother since he arrived.

He can beat a man on either side and gets a few goals. If I were to be picky I’d say he could shoot more often. A brilliant signing for now and the future. A bit of a bargain really.

Newcastle fans
    What’s the feeling surrounding Gordon these days ?
    A mate of mine was fuming when he was transferred but absolutely loves him now .

Master
    i couldnt understand why chelsea wanted him, i get it now, a very good player and looks to have the right attitude to improve aswell,

his goal at the weekend was classy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Thought 1st was wrong but acceptable as he definitely caught a bit of his foot so hard to change after the fact. Still wrong though.

Just seen 2nd one and that’s truly awful.

Clearly a dive with no intent to stay on feet with no clear contact?

The PL is rapidly being turned into a pantomime by the number of players trying to con the officials - "playing" for a penalty, trying to get a games stopped by feigning a head injury, trying to get an opponent sent off, trying to get a goal disallowed by pretending you were mortally injured in the build up, it has become a painful watch. Won't be long before you cannot tackle anymore as any contact will be deemed to be a foul.

I watch a lot of the EFL games and highlights and it's great; less diving, better tackling and most importantly....no VAR. The games flow and people can celebrate goals!!

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    The PL is rapidly being turned into a pantomime by the number of players trying to con the officials - "playing" for a penalty, trying to get a games stopped by feigning a head injury, trying to get an opponent sent off, trying to get a goal disallowed by pretending you were mortally injured in the build up, it has become a painful watch. Won't be long before you cannot tackle anymore as any contact will be deemed to be a foul.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I watch a lot of the EFL games and highlights and it's great; less diving, better tackling and most importantly....no VAR. The games flow and people can celebrate goals!!
    Coventry is my team, so totally agree the championship has a lot less sideshows. Also married to a Geordie so follow the Toon with interest, hence why I know the talk from some about Trippier not being a top top level right back is absolute garbage, what a player and what a great job Eddie continues to do.

Master
    Coventry is my team, so totally agree the championship has a lot less sideshows. Also married to a Geordie so follow the Toon with interest, hence why I know about Trippier being absolute garbage,
    FYP for you ;)

Master
    Some stats that are most relevant to a right back.

Duals per game TAA 6, KW 8 Trips 8
    Duals won TAA 47% KW 57% Trips 57%
    Tackle % TAA 63% KW 74% Trips 66%

Then if you want to throw in crossing;

Cross accuracy TAA 26% KW 17% Trips 30%
    Average crosses per game TAA 7.5 KW 2.3 Trips 7.5

Go Trips

Master
    Some stats that are most relevant to a right back.

Duals per game TAA 6, KW 8 Trips 8
    Duals won TAA 47% KW 57% Trips 57%
    Tackle % TAA 63% KW 74% Trips 66%

Then if you want to throw in crossing;

Cross accuracy TAA 26% KW 17% Trips 30%
    Average crosses per game TAA 7.5 KW 2.3 Trips 7.5

Go Trips
    what period does this cover?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Premier league record so TAA 209 KW 376 and KT 164 appearances as a dataset using prem as the most equalised source. Remember that Trips has been in the weakest teams of the three over that period, so those are impressive numbers

Master
    Premier league record so TAA 209 KW 376 and KT 164 appearances as a dataset using prem as the most equalised source. Remember that Trips has been in the weakest teams of the three over that period, so those are impressive numbers
    maybe but cross accuracy is a bit of an odd one, surely its assists that are important?

Master
    maybe but cross accuracy is a bit of an odd one, surely its assists that are important?
    Not for a right back. And that's the real point here, you have to define what is most important from a player in any position. You can't simply say TAA is the best right back because he is great at assists when defensively he is weak which most would say is the more important role for a right back. It's a bit like saying goalkeeper X is the best because his passing accuracy is high yet he lets in more goals than others.

If you also look at assists over the past 1.5 seasons as part of making this is a current vs career debate, Trips has the second highest in the whole PL this season at 6, TAA has 1, TAA edged it last season at 9 vs 7, Trips is the real deal whilst Kyle is the go to if you want someone to manage a difficult opponent.

Master
    Not for a right back. And that's the real point here, you have to define what is most important from a player in any position. You can't simply say TAA is the best right back because he is great at assists when defensively he is weak which most would say is the more important role for a right back. It's a bit like saying goalkeeper X is the best because his passing accuracy is high yet he lets in more goals than others.

If you also look at assists over the past 1.5 seasons as part of making this is a current vs career debate, Trips has the second highest in the whole PL this season at 6, TAA has 1, TAA edged it last season at 9 vs 7, Trips is the real deal whilst Kyle is the go to if you want someone to manage a difficult opponent.
    not for a right back? why is a right back crossing if not to assist?

What is your back up for the assertion that trent is weak defensively?

can i pick a sub set of games to prove a point rather than using all the data?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Trippier has about 90 assists in about 550 games and about 200 of them have been in the championship against dross.

Trent has 79 in over 200 games less. He’s also scored double the amount.

You lot are absolutely laughable.

Trent also has 150 clean sheets to his name.

Does anyone want to actually put any type of argument forward for a better RB in world football than Trent ?

yes but the stats are mostly Liverpool in their prime, with Salah and Mane scoring for fun. In another 3-4 seasons his stats would have dropped off massivley.

Hysterical

Would that subset be games where Trent played well? You wanted to talk about the data and stats earlier in the thread but now only the ones you want to hand select. Part of the issue with people not rating him is that Liverpool fans try to claim he's amazing all the time. It's forced down our throats all the time and it's not what non-Liverpool fans see when he plays. That's what is being done by Reds in this thread too.

He can't get into his national team as a right back which is his position. He isn't good enough in midfield to play there for his country. In a WC semi-final or final against France, would you seriously select him ahead of Walker, James or Trippier? I wouldn't because he's going to caught out of position so many times we'd get exposed over and over.

A generational talent that can't get a game for his country.

Unreal

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Hysterical

Kyle Walker is the best goalie by far!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Of course he is crossing to assist, but all he can do is put an accurate cross in, it is then down to the rest of the team whether they can score with it (becomes an assist) or not.

What is your back up for the assertion that trent is weak defensively? This is also going over old ground as
    I've watched him play and especially remember him against the Villa! - the stats speak for themself, he wins less tackles, loses more duals than he wins, gets involved in less duals to start almost certainly because he gets caught out of position so many times.

I used all the premier league data and proved the point, anyone that knows anything about data analysis will tell you that for instance factoring in cup games where you are not comparing like for like will skew the output. I used the data for the past 18 months to make the point about current, sure, if you want to look to show he was the best right back for a 6 week period in 2018 fill your boots.

But, but, but....he's the best in the world.

I used all the premier league data and proved the point, anyone that knows anything about data analysis will tell you that for instance factoring in cup games where you are not comparing like for like will skew the output. I used the data for the past 18 months to make the point about current, sure, if you want to look to show he was the best right back for a 6 week period in 2018 fill your boots.

Master
    Hysterical
    whats hysterical is people mentioned trippier in the same sentence as trent

Master
    Would that subset be games where Trent played well? You wanted to talk about the data and stats earlier in the thread but now only the ones you want to hand select. Part of the issue with people not rating him is that Liverpool fans try to claim he's amazing all the time. It's forced down our throats all the time and it's not what non-Liverpool fans see when he plays. That's what is being done by Reds in this thread too.

He can't get into his national team as a right back which is his position. He isn't good enough in midfield to play there for his country. In a WC semi-final or final against France, would you seriously select him ahead of Walker, James or Trippier? I wouldn't because he's going to caught out of position so many times we'd get exposed over and over.

i was being faecitious as the poster had picked a subset of data to 'prove' a point regarding trippier.

I wouldnt take southgates opinion as gospel to be honest, its not as if your lot were winning a major championship with the alternatives playing.

anyway lets see how the season ends up for bang average trent and the second coming of cafu kieran trippier.

Master

You actually do know less than Ryan.

Trent has faced every top winger on the planet.

He’s almost a decade younger than get than the other two that keep getting mentioned and his numbers are crazy.

He hasn’t even hit his peak.

Same age Walker was getting 15 games a season and Trippier was playing the likes of Barnet in the Championship.

Master
    You'll find plenty of articles like this:

https://www.football365.com/news/liv...talent-neville

but not saying the same about trippier, i wonder why.

Master

He’s almost a decade younger than get than the other two that keep getting mentioned and his numbers are crazy.

Same age Walker was getting 15 games a season and Trippier was playing the likes of Barnet in the Championship.

its the usual anyone but liverpool circle jerk

Typical Liverpool fan; if you don't agree with me you don't know as much as me or what you're talking about.

My knowledge of the game stacks up against anyone here and you know that. It always comes back to Liverpool fans being the best and most knowledgeable fans. Their club being the best with the best history and legacy. Their ground having the best atmosphere. Every player should aspire to play for Liverpool / family have always been Liverpool fans. Liverpool players shouldn't want to play for their countries, they should be solely focused on playing for Liverpool.

The air of superiority drives me absolutely mental. I find it embarrassing.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 28th November 2023 at 14:56.

You'll find plenty of articles like this:

https://www.football365.com/news/liv...talent-neville

but not saying the same about trippier, i wonder why.
    Arnold the equivalent of de Bruyne .
    It just keeps getting better .
    I can’t wait for the Runsalot v Haaland debate to resurface .

As for your anyone but Liverpool quote, thats a bag of washing too . Most on here can appreciate the likes of Salah and Van Dijk .We can decide for ourselves about your better players . It’s the echo chamber that is a Liverpool fan who won’t see one of their players compared unfavourably.

Master
    i was being faecitious as the poster had picked a subset of data to 'prove' a point regarding trippier.
    Good grief you are proving you know nothing about stats and data analysis. What else do you think I should have included, given that premier league is the fairest measure of teams playing the same teams rather than a cup where one team might pay a non-league side?

Master
    Arnold the equivalent of de Bruyne .
    It just keeps getting better .
    I can’t wait for the Runsalot v Haaland debate to resurface .

As for your anyone but Liverpool quote, thats a bag of washing too . Most on here can appreciate the likes of Salah and Van Dijk .We can decide for ourselves about your better players . It’s the echo chamber that is a Liverpool fan who won’t see one of their players compared unfavourably.
    I can appreciate all the fantastic city players too, i think your manager is either the best or second best in the world etc etc i do think it has been facilitated by manipulation of the rules, but if you suspend that city as an organisation and as a team are excellent.

I would also say that as defender walker is better than trent, no argument. But as i said before i wouldnt swap trent out of the liverpool team to put walker in and i think trent in the city team is a much more important player than walker would be for liverpool.

Its people going over the top in their criticism of trent that bugs me, his flaws are over exaggerated and his unprecendented creative output is talked down. And then you have someone trying to make out trippier is a better player. Its ludicrous. He wasnt good enough for spurs ultimately.

- - - Updated - - -

Good grief you are proving you know nothing about stats and data analysis. What else do you think I should have included, given that premier league is the fairest measure of teams playing the same teams rather than a cup where one team might pay a non-league side?
    good grief

i was responding to when you selectively took a shorter period to prove a point.

Duh!

Master

i was responding to when you selectively took a shorter period to prove a point.

Duh!
    Glad you recognise the point was proven then

Master
    Glad you recognise the point was proven then
    did i forget to use the sarcastic inverted commas again, silly me!

Master
    did i forget to use the sarcastic inverted commas again, silly me!
    Keep digging this thread is comedy gold

Master
    Keep digging this thread is comedy gold
    it really is, thanks for coming in and providing a much needed dose of humour

Jeez this thread has gone a bit handbags at dawn, anyhoo I'm sure VAR will "even things up" for Wolves next match as they play Arsenal at the w/end...

Be interesting to see who we field v Lens at The Emirates tomorrow, a win would give us 1st in group. Hopefully some football breaks out between VARs tomorrow.

Master
    it really is, thanks for coming in and providing a much needed dose of humour
    Your welcome - always happy to shine a light on a clown

Master
    Your welcome - always happy to shine a light on a clown
    you are doing a good job at it but make sure you dont blind yourself !

Master
    you are doing a good job at it but make sure you dont blind yourself !
    Yeah that reflection is glaring but fortunately Trips taught me how to defend against it

Bentancur now out for at least ten weeks after that fracking disgraceful tackle from Cash. You couldn’t make it up.

Sky leading with banal headlines like “Has Ange’s bubble burst” whilst making no reference to the fact that we’ve lost every one of our key players - the entire core of the side - one way or another. FFS!!!!!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th November 2023 at 19:32.

Anyway. Rico Lewis is better than Arnold .

Bentancur now out for at least ten weeks after that fracking disgraceful tackle from Cash. You couldn’t make it up.

Sky leading with banal headlines like “Has Ange’s bubble burst” whilst making no reference to the fact that we’ve lost every one of our key players - the entire core of the side - one way or another. FFS!!!!!
    Jesus that's a rotten string of luck for Spurs. Will Udogie be back for Man City?

I've seen worse tackles than that at my 8 year old daughter's football training. He was a bit late, caught the player and got a deserved yellow. Of course, Spurs are the only team to have a few injuries. What was the starting cost of the Spurs line up compared to Villa's at the weekend? We've had almost half of our starting line up from last season missing for almost the entire season so far, not just the last 3-4 games. At times we've had to name two teenage keepers on the bench just to make up numbers. Two of your missing players at the weekend were down to suspensions (Bissouma and Romero) which is nobody's fault but their own.

Be interesting to see if Big Ange maintains his cheerful disposition as Spurs plummet down the table. Wonder if he'll survive the curse of being top after a few games, as it did for Mourinho and Conte.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Jesus that's a rotten string of luck for Spurs. Will Udogie be back for Man City?
    Yes, his was a one match ban, thankfully.

Come on
    It was a bad tackle and similar to the one he’d carried out on Doherty too .

Just seen that. Feel so sorry for the guy after just coming back from an ACL injury. Cash is a talentless thug. Did the same to Doherty who then also spent months out. Not often I condone retaliation but I’d have taken him out for that and gladly taken a red for the team. No surprise he didn’t come out for the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Just seen that. Feel so sorry for the guy after just coming back from an ACL injury. Cash is a talentless thug. Did the same to Doherty who then also spent months out. Not often I condone retaliation but I’d have taken him out for that and gladly taken a red for the team. No surprise he didn’t come out for the 2nd half.
    Most of the side let him know what they thought of him (and he really is a thug of a player). Probably just as well that Cutie had a day off.

Matty Cash didn't mean to hurt him. Plus he's a great player - mainstay in a team playing in Europe and in fourth place in the Premier League.
    "A man of little significance"

Most of the side let him know what they thought of him (and he really is a thug of a player). Probably just as well that Cutie had a day off.
    Thug of a player? Cash has never been sent off for us, and last year got the grand total of 4 yellow cards, two of which were for time wasting. As a team we also haven't had anybody sent off this season, unlike Spurs. I've rarely seen such a display of bedwetting as that from Spurs fans this weekend. You don't see Villa fans on social media praying for Isak to get a career threatening injury after Tyrone Mings got a season ending ACL rupture. One lovely Spurs fan made a delightful comment about him being glad that Cash's Polish relatives died in The Holocaust. Scummy club, scummy fans.

Come on
    It was a bad tackle and similar to the one he’d carried out on Doherty too .
    Rubbish. He won the ball cleanly against Doherty, who then probably made his injury worse by playing on for fifteen minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Rubbish. He won the ball cleanly against Doherty, who then probably made his injury worse by playing on for fifteen minutes.
    Yes, he got to the ball first but his left leg scissored the Spurs player . That’s not a clean tackle .

It was. He won the ball and there was a tangle of legs. He was starting from a standing position and hooked the ball away. Not every injury means it’s the defender’s fault, and as I said Doherty got up and played on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app