closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW 240i and Rolex 116600 or BMW M2?

Master

BMW 240i and Rolex 116600 or BMW M2?

I have a manual 2017, but the M badge has always tempted me. The only issue is that for a similar spec car they are around £12000 more than my M240i!

Has anyone had both? Any thoughts ?

I am getting mine serviced by BMW soon and will have a look around an M2 they have up for sale.

I was also interested in a mustang, but do need to make sure two kids seats fit in.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Can confirm that two car seats fit the mustang if that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both great cars. In your situation, I'd stick with what you have to be honest.

However, if the plan would be to get the M2 and keep it for a long long, time, then it might be a plan. Certainly a classic down the line.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I've got a Seat Arona and a few nice watches. I love cars but I just can't see the value in them anymore.

Master
    Are you going to track it? If not, there aren't many big advantages with the M2 over the M240i, better noise as std, more road presence maybe but little in the way of actual on road performance. If long distance comfort is important then the supposedly lesser car can be much nicer, particularly in auto form where it makes for a great fast road GT. If a full fat M car is an itch you need to scratch then all good, but the M2 is really only 80% there since the engine isn't really any more special than the N55 in the M235i. There is more of a case for the M2C over the M240i on both road and track as that, with its S55 is actually faster and more like an F80 M3.

I too have toyed with the idea of a Mustang, I do worry they are a tad large for UK roads though and as such not as easy to thread down a country lane.
    Last edited by Padders; 29th May 2023 at 22:00.

Master
    Thanks for all your comments so far. I must say on looks and sound the m2 does it for me as to would a mustang. I wore the SD today and just thought is it really worth it ? But the m2 will depreciate and I assume the watch will not at the same rate

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had a bunch of BMW M cars and found the M2 no better than the M135i I'd had beforehand. An M2 comp is a much more interesting proposition so I think I'd either stick or go for the comp.

Master
    Fit the M Performance exhaust if you want yours to sound a little nicer.

Master
    Thanks for your replies. I’ve got the mpe exhaust fitted. Does sound better.

I might also look at a mustang at hartwells later this week. They have two reasonably priced.

A couple of ideas to throw at you. Firstly, I've had a number of M cars and M Performance versions, so I do understand your quandary.

In my experience, you can quickly get into the law of diminishing returns by spending more to achieve what you think you are looking for but only find that the simpler cheaper cars were a better answer. Firstly, I'd have a hard think about what you are missing from the 240i.

I had a 235i, and I remapped it to circa 400BHP and had the MPR exhaust modified by a welding expert who managed to change the stock sound into something quite amazing. That engine is very strong and is often tuned, obviously, this decision has risks attached to it, but the results were amazing. In hindsight, it didn't need more power, what it did need was better handling as the stock springs were not doing a great job, and it clearly lacks a limited slip diff.

You could tune the exhaust for £200 (I can give you his details), which provides a lot of emotional speed from the sound and swap the springs for £400 fitted.

The other thing I would say is the M2 is an entirely different car, Don't fall into the trap of thinking it's a similar beast because it is not. An M Performance car is a great package but it isn't an M car, in my mind the M240 is amazing and in many ways good enough but the M2 has many advantages if you want a super aggressive-looking car that's more driver-focused. The easier-to-use, softer handling and considerably cheaper M240 is a bargain and stupidly upgradable, hence incredibly popular. value for money vs. fun I'd say the 235i is one of the best value and fun cars I've ever owned.

I hope that helps.
    Best,
    Simon

I have a M240i and have thought about the same thing many times, but cant ever justify the extra cost. Mine has a BM3 stage 1 map, android auto head unit and upgraded speakers (The HK ones were terrible!) apart from that its totally standard.

I would have it mapped, maybe change the exhaust if you want more noise and look at a LSD for the improved handling.

Also depends what you will do with the car, mine is my only car so I do 12k+ miles a year, its comfortable, very quick (too quick really) and just a solid all around car, the 2 kids (6 & 8) fit easily in the back, and it looks great.

If you do a few track days, or have another daily driver it would be tempting.

The M2 do look loads nicer.

Craftsman
    I had a 235i as well , also tuned to about 400hp , exhaust modified , bilstein suspension yada yada , I've never been a fan of the M2 just didnt see the value in it , always felt it was a 235i in a dress , same engine etc , the 240i is more than a match for the M2 performance wise (Joe Achilles did a video comparing each)

The M2 comp however is a different story, as said potential classic but great all round package and "proper" M car

Wouldn't buy the manual though, BMW manuals just aren't very good imo

Master
    Thanks for all the comments so far. My 240i went through its service all fine, except they did try and charge me a new price of £330 for an oil and filter change !

I have the performance exhaust already which improves the sound to a degree.

I do love the way the m2 looks.

I cannot afford or justify the
    Comp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Thanks for all the comments so far. My 240i went through its service all fine, except they did try and charge me a new price of £330 for an oil and filter change !

I have the performance exhaust already which improves the sound to a degree.

I do love the way the m2 looks.

I cannot afford or justify the
    Comp.

If you want to take a big step towards the feel of either of the M cars, then as already noted above, fitting an LSD to what you have is a good start. Mine has one and it bridges a lot of the gap in feel. Circa £2K instead of the £12K you mention above as the jump to the base M2. If it is more about the looks then I guess there isnt a lot you can do other than pony up.
    Last edited by Padders; 30th May 2023 at 14:51.

Craftsman
    Had x2 M235i & currently drive a 2018 M2 LCI & I love it. The 235’s were lease cars & then I had a break for a few years. Then bought a Golf R, which was well spec’d & fast, but not special. So then bought the M2. It’s great! Damn fast & the looks, the wider stance etc, looks fab. I can’t say there’s much thrillers within the cabin, but the noise it makes (standard) & the feeling is something else & then the thing for me… it is an M car, not something it’s not.

I know the M badge has morphed into a division and a money maker for BMW but I wish they kept the M cars and the name separate rather than have every other BMW with an M decal somewhere, X5's with an M is just wrong!

To me and M car must have an M Power engine from factory to wear the badge..

The OG M2 LCI was a brilliant little car, I had one for 3 years and it was night and day compared to my M135i which preceded it. Maybe not much straight line faster but everything else was a massive upgrade.

There was a little Easter egg included by BMW where if you put the drive mode to Traction and manually shifted you got constant exhaust valve open mode, great fun on the downshifts!

I miss it!!

I did a lot of upgrades to my M135i and was very fond of it also

Last edited by petay993; 31st May 2023 at 09:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I know the M badge has morphed into a division and a money maker for BMW but I wish they kept the M cars and the name separate rather than have every other BMW with an M decal somewhere, X5's with an M is just wrong!

To me and M car must have an M Power engine from factory to wear the badge..
    That's the 1M and OG M2 out then...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    That's the 1M and OG M2 out then...
    Very true, forgot the 1M didn’t have an M engine.

Also both these cars lacked a proper M interior and had the standard seats etc. the lack of being a special cabin made me go for an M4 Comp as the M2 Comp was over my budget.

Bit of a strange position to take - the 1M is widely considered the best M car of all.

Me having one is purely coincidental …

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    The OG M2 LCI was a brilliant little car, I had one for 3 years and it was night and day compared to my M135i which preceded it. Maybe not much straight line faster but everything else was a massive upgrade.

There was a little Easter egg included by BMW where if you put the drive mode to Traction and manually shifted you got constant exhaust valve open mode, great fun on the downshifts!

I miss it!!

I did a lot of upgrades to my M135i and was very fond of it also

Think I’m in the minority but have always thought the hatchback looks better than the coupe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Bit of a strange position to take - the 1M is widely considered the best M car of all.

True but it was just a souped up engine from a Z4 and a few parts that were left over from the old M3 yeh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    True but it was just a souped up engine from a Z4 and a few parts that were left over from the old M3 yeh.
    Who cares really … it’s the result that matters … 😉 … greater than the sum of its parts … the fact that values seem to be only going one way doesn’t hurt.

BMW 240i and Rolex 116600 or BMW M2?

The M1/1M looks a great drivers car and probably caught out BMW on how good it is, I’m sure if they knew it would be so good they would have gave it the full treatment like MPower engine cover and few other tweaks..

One thing to consider with a proper M car is the servicing...

I've had an M6 and two M5s now. You can't get away with a routine visit to the dealer at major service (the old Inspection II) with much change from £1,500 on the larger M cars. I presume that's the same with the baby Ms too.

Consumables such as discs and pads and tyres are also going to cost you ££££, so you will need to factor in the depreciation plus the increased running costs. Not sure if the watch will have worse residuals after x years down the line!

Master
    Thanks for all your replies. Lots to consider. I probably need to drive them to see if I feel it is worth it

Master
    Who cares really … it’s the result that matters …  … greater than the sum of its parts … the fact that values seem to be only going one way doesn’t hurt.
    Said in jest
    Brilliant car.
    Mate has had a black one for about 8 years
    Free motoring.

Mwhahahahahahaha.

Master
    We l have put my sd4000 onto sales corner so I shall see if anyone is keen, if not, no M for me. I discounted the mustang as the rear crash protection seems pretty poor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    We l have put my sd4000 onto sales corner so I shall see if anyone is keen, if not, no M for me. I discounted the mustang as the rear crash protection seems pretty poor.

It’s got a foot more crash protection than a 2 series, they are massive.

Master
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/m...fety-tests?amp

This suggests that despite the size it is not great