closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacement hands - really?

Master

Replacement hands - really?

My Glashutte is in for service as for some reason the crown jammed so couldn’t be handwound although when pulled out to alter the time/date it was fine. Keeping good time too.
    WOS returned it to Germany where they say that apart from the full service the hands also need replacing at a cost of £200!
    Why on Earth should This be necessary when they are behind the glass? Are they taking the p*** here? I’ve queried it so will await a response but what do you think. The service itself is over £650…

Journeyman
    For a brand like that 650 is getting off lightly to be honest.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Had a similar experience myself in 2014 when my IWC Mk XII went in for a service. It definitely needed a replacement dial. They also wanted to replace the hands. I could see no reason for this whatever so I queried it. I was told, via the AD (Berrys in Nottingham) that removing the hands was likely to damage them, so they'd be replaced as a matter of course. So I gave in and paid £700+.

The watch came back with a new dial a few weeks later. But I'm pretty sure they didn't actually replace the hands, unless the service replacement hands come with dead tritium. The dial now glows luminova-bright in the dark, but there's no trace of luminosity from the hands.

I really can't understand why big price brands like to rip offer every penny they can get from their customers.

I've mentioned before but every Longines and Hamilton I've sent in for service has had the hands, crown, pushers all changed but more importantly included in the price of the service,it seems like it's just standard practice but at least they don't rip the @rse out of you for doing it.

Sent from a technical device.

Master
    I get there’s a possibility the hands can become damaged, but its from certain. I suppose the issue is, without blanket replacement some customers may kick off on the odd occasion there is a genuine issue and they need replacing. Lowest common denominator and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I really can't understand why big price brands like to rip offer every penny they can get from their customers.

I've mentioned before but every Longines and Hamilton I've sent in for service has had the hands, crown, pushers all changed but more importantly included in the price of the service,it seems like it's just standard practice but at least they don't rip the @rse out of you for doing it.

Yes, what's the cost of the hands, they're coming off anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post

They rip off every penny because they can.

Steinhart have a moonphase watch for about £400 you can get a Junghans full calendar for about £1700 after discount but neither of them have a big brand name on them so therefore we will not only sell a kidney to get it but do so with a smile.

Are heat blued hands really that expensive? Stowa have them, Tourby have them, Anordain do them in house.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    are heat blued hands really that expensive? Stowa have them, Tourby have them, Anordain do them in house.
    Eddie sells complete watches with them for nearly the same price as the replacement hands in the OP’s post!

An interesting little fact I picked up recently is that Lange engravers are earning £300 an hour. It's all relative.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Sounds like you're getting milked. Is it optional or mandatory?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds like you're getting milked. Is it optional or mandatory?
    Good question! WOS assumed the latter but they’ll let me know after questioning Glashutte. As for being milked - spot on imo. As far as I know hands enclosed behind the crystal can’t get damaged especially when the movement was keeping good time so they weren’t touching each other or rubbing somewhere.

This has come up before, I think the reason so many manufacturers say they need to change the hands is because when new hands are pressed into the pinion shaft, it’s a friction fit, so the hole in the hands is stretched ever so slightly, putting them back on can be a weak point to enable them to grip again like they did originally, that’s my recollection anyway. If that is the case then they should be included in a service cost and not a extra charge.
    Cheers..
    Jase

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    If that is the case then they should be included in a service cost and not a extra charge.
    ^^ This

My Omega Speedmaster Racing came back from service. From the parts returned with it every hand had been replaced at no additional charge.

I also got the hands changed on a PP I owned. This was listed as FOC.

Be interesting to know what they'd do if you said no...

Omega put a replacement dial as 'optional' when they quoted for work to my Seamaster 150. I said no but they did it FOC anyway.

As to why new hands necessary, only Glashütte can confirm and you have already asked them. As to the hands, they do look damaged in your photo (but maybe it's just a poor photo).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    As to why new hands necessary, only Glashütte can confirm and you have already asked them. As to the hands, they do look damaged in your photo (but maybe it's just a poor photo).
    Yes - photo has reflections. The hands are fine.

Assuming they are true heated blued hands (and not just painted) you'd have to be a complete muppet to damage them whilst removing. The heating process makes them much less susceptible to bending and accidental damage, which is why the process is used on thinner or more ornate hands. As someone who's removed and refitted hundreds of sets of them I know how tough they are.

Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers seem to be looking at ways to maximise their margins and there seems to be a trend towards charging for replacement dials, hands, crowns, bezels etc, etc. A lot of which isn't really necessary.

One major brand I know pretty much insist on replacement dials and hands with every service. They do have a reputation for hammering their hands on though, using far too much pressure, so removal is fraught with potential issues.

I'd question replacing the hands with WoS and see what the reply is.

Good luck.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    An interesting little fact I picked up recently is that Lange engravers are earning £300 an hour. It's all relative.
    I should think so if they are charging 20k for an entry level watch

Master
    And the quoted reply from Glashutte via WOS:
    received:

“it is essential to exchange the hands to ensure that they are correctly fitted, accurately adjusted and move smoothly over the dial without impeding each other”

What do you make of that? Looks like they have me over a barrel. Not amused!

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    And the quoted reply from Glashutte via WOS:
    received:

“it is essential to exchange the hands to ensure that they are correctly fitted, accurately adjusted and move smoothly over the dial without impeding each other”

What do you make of that? Looks like they have me over a barrel. Not amused!
    I suppose it leaves 2 options,

1. Get it done by an independent (assuming they can service this watch?)

2. Pay the £850 for the service which will include a warranty from Glashutte if there are any further issues it can go straight back to them and if you want to sell it in the future buyers may be more inclined to buy it with a Glashutte warranty.