closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Movement thoughts? El Primero 400, 3600?

Movement thoughts? El Primero 400, 3600?

I thought I'd try to gather more thoughts on the El Primero movements 400 and 3600.

I've fancied a Zenith chronomaster for some time and am learning about the different models and movements. I read of some issues with the 3600 movement and wonder how significant they are?

The two models I'm focussing on are 03.3100.3600 and 03.2150.400

Two very similar models, slightly different dial details and chronometer functions.

Reading what I do about the reported 3600 issues I'm struggling to put them into context. It could be a lot of noise about no doubt very real but isolated problems, or it could be genuine systemic issues with that movement?

There was indeed an issue with regard to the 3600 - a creeping subdial hand on the minute totaliser. Mine ended up going back to the mothership and took a while to come back, which was a pain (it's perfect now, and they included a full movement service). Buying new and I'd imagine the issue has been fixed by now; pre-loved and i guess you take your chances.

Blog Entries
    The 400 has been around for a long time, whereas the 3600 is relatively new. Both are high frequency movements (3600 bph) but the 3600 has the sweep chrono hand that rotates at once a second - hence reading 1/10th second resolution is possible. I think the chronomaster sport with this new movement is a beauty.

As with any new movement there may be teething issues that have been mentioned and will be fixed, but in my experience Zenith after sales is excellent (at least in the UK).

good luck with your choice.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The 400 has been around for a long time, whereas the 3600 is relatively new. Both are high frequency movements (3600 bph) but the 3600 has the sweep chrono hand that rotates at once a second - hence reading 1/10th second resolution is possible. I think the chronomaster sport with this new movement is a beauty.

As with any new movement there may be teething issues that have been mentioned and will be fixed, but in my experience Zenith after sales is excellent (at least in the UK).

good luck with your choice.
    Agreed, aftersales is second to none.

Master
    Where does the 410 figure in this?

No idea, I'm still learning all about these. Now I find there are two different case thicknesses for the 03.2150.400. It's a bit of a minefield to wade through but at least it makes the hunt more interesting.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Apprentice

A386

I have the A386 manufacture revival which I believe has the previous 400 calibre, and I have to say it is just beautiful. I looked at the new movement but was put off by the speed of the second hand, I just don't think in a luxury watch that something needs to go so quickly.

Whatever you choose, Zenith makes great watches so good luck and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAlba View Post
    I have the A386 manufacture revival which I believe has the previous 400 calibre, and I have to say it is just beautiful. I looked at the new movement but was put off by the speed of the second hand, I just don't think in a luxury watch that something needs to go so quickly.

It’s only the chrono hand, which for us lot means only used whilst boiling an egg

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAlba View Post

Many thanks to all who have replied. It's a tough choice but I feel the 400 movement is for me.

Master
    Here's my 400 ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Many thanks to all who have replied. It's a tough choice but I feel the 400 movement is for me.
    p.s. My 400 performs well within COSC in the 5 other positions, too.

That is a lovely moon phase. I’m still uncertain about the pushers but they’re growing on me.

Master
    That is a lovely moon phase. I’m still uncertain about the pushers but they’re growing on me.
    They suit the watch very well, both in elegance and ergonomics.

I recommend the watch strongly (and mine's not for sale).

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    They suit the watch very well, both in elegance and ergonomics.

I recommend the watch strongly (and mine's not for sale).
    I do like the original ’69 tri-colour chronograph but I am coming round to that school of thought, yes.

What’s the model number of your moon phase please?

Great looking movement but problems are inevitable with Zenith so you will get to know their customer service department well, fortunately as others have mentioned the customer service department (Stuart) are excellent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    ... problems are inevitable with Zenith
    Not with my 4 in the last 18 years.

Master
    What’s the model number of your moon phase please?
    Model 01 0240 410. Watch 086XX.
    (And, yes, I've just remembered that it's my other - non-moonphase - Chronomaster that has the 400. )

Perfect thanks!

Master
    If you really want a 400, though, this could scratch the itch ...

https://storage.googleapis.com/pubza...me_7576711.jpg