closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WTH happened to this movement?

Craftsman

WTH happened to this movement?

Stumbled over a Monnin-cased quartz diver on Ebay that I liked the look of, although it was sold as faulty. Examining the pictures I can see why, since there seems to be a hole burnt right through the circuits in the quartz movement on the top right?! Is this something that it's possible for a watchmaker to fix, or is it shot for good?

Master
    I'm not so sure that it can be physically fixed but if you can identify the calibre it may be possible to find parts or a replacement movement (whether new or in a donor watch).

Where’s the burnt hole? I’m looking on a smartphone and struggling to see it.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

If you mean that black `blob` top left then that`s probably potting or encapsulant to secure/protect a component underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    If you mean that black `blob` top left then that`s probably potting or encapsulant to secure/protect a component underneath.
    Yeah that’s a glob-top.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elec...aging#Glob-top
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Grand Master
    Can`t recognise the movement from the pics, looks like ETA or ESA. Battery clamp looks wrong too.

Unless you have the skills to sort the movement yourself I don't see the point in buying stuff like this. Assuming the movement can be fixed, or a replace can be found at a sensible price (big assumption thesedays) there's also the rest of the watch to consider. Crown seals will be shot, and sometimes they can`t be replaced, so finding a new crown becomes a headache. There's all the other case-related issues to sort too.

I've got involved with these jobs in the past but they're invariably a lot of hassle. Nowadays I only get involved if the watch has strong sentimental value in which case I`ll do what I can to help, but that's all. Life's too short to spend big chucks of time sorting out watches the owner should never have bought, I`ve done too many of those.

Find what the movement is, try Cousins website for parts, that's the starting point. One point to consider when replacing a movement: the same movement was often available with different heights, if the replacement is wrong the centre seconds wheel, cannon pinion and hour wheel all have to be swapped, basically a new movement has to be built from the donor + replacement so the job is quite involved.

As a general rule, if the circuit is still functioning a quartz movement can be fixed...........like most rules there are exceptions.

Good luck, I think you'll need it.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the feedback. I've had some vintage quartz watches repaired before, but then I had a better idea of the damage than just "faulty" and I doubt the seller here would give me a more detailed explanation. Might just skip this one.

Grand Master
    So you’re asking for advice and you haven’t actually bought the watch? I guess there’s some sense in that.

If repairers like me are reluctant to get involved with battered old quartz watches that don’t work maybe there’s a message for you to to take on board?

Avoid them like the plague, if you really want to own a watch look for a good example and be prepared to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    This. I’ve had several quartz watches over the years exactly like that from new.

There is one on eBay now showing similar, auction no. 184619946226

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    So you’re asking for advice and you haven’t actually bought the watch? I guess there’s some sense in that.

If repairers like me are reluctant to get involved with battered old quartz watches that don’t work maybe there’s a message for you to to take on board?

Avoid them like the plague, if you really want to own a watch look for a good example and be prepared to pay.
    You make it sound like vintage quartz isn't some kind of forbidden, cursed tome you must never touch! I've bought plenty of damaged and/or non functioning vintage quartz watches, particularly 7548 and old ESA movements, and had them repaired by watchmakers who've said that they could do the job. There's a slight element of gambling involved, but that's why I buy cheap and try to gather as much information as possible to be able to ask the guy doing it if it's something that could be repaired, and what the cost would be.

In this case I didn't go through with it, but someone else did as the auction is now sold.