closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WUS style post

WUS style post

I feel like a right n*b putting this out there but whenever we go away I always want to wear one of my decent watches but end up sticking on a gshock.
    I'm not bothered about being mugged just something at the back of my mind always stops me. What if I damage it whilst floating on an inflatable in the pool, or stumble in my flip flops after too many glasses wines or hit my wrist with a crusty baguette from the local boulangerie?
    Stupid but there we are.
    I'll be asking if it's safe for me to wear a 600m diver in the shower next.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    I feel like a right n*b putting this out there but whenever we go away I always want to wear one of my decent watches but end up sticking on a gshock.
    I'm not bothered about being mugged just something at the back of my mind always stops me. What if I damage it whilst floating on an inflatable in the pool, or stumble in my flip flops after too many glasses wines or hit my wrist with a crusty baguette from the local boulangerie?
    Stupid but there we are.
    I'll be asking if it's safe for me to wear a 600m diver in the shower next.

I take this as a sign of having too much money tied up in a watch. If I’m scared to wear it, it means it’s too expensive.

I know there may be other reasons for others but I find I wear my least expensive watches most often and I don’t worry about knocking them (too much)

WUS style post

I have a watch I keep almost exclusively for holidays, and never take another with me, whilst I change my watch at least daily in the uk.
    I like the memories associated with it, each mark is a story. It’s not an expensive watch but not cheap in the real world (cheap for TZ) it’s a true traveler GMT, perfect for different time zones but being kinetic it’s the worst type of watch to keep for such a task, as such I spend ages just trying to keep it charged when I don’t wear it (stupid I know).
    This has been in far worse places than a swimming pool.

What the worst you can do if you are by a pool or beach? You stand more of chance smashing a watch on a door frame or risking desk diving marks sitting at a laptop.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 27th May 2023 at 11:55.

To be honest I don't even think it's accidently damaging it that stops me. It's probably more the thought of walking around with a few grand strapped to my wrist but then that doesn't stop me wearing them out and about in the UK.
    I've always thought with the gshock's that they're an easy no fuss watch, don't have to worry about knocking them and I don't have to think about setting the time.
    Just be nice to enjoy one of my better watches whilst away but then I suppose peace of mind is worth a lot when you're trying to relax for a week.

The trouble with a gshock is that it looks rubbish when you go out for a nice meal while on holiday. I think an ecodrive GMT is a better one watch solution.

Or travel with more than one watch....

Decision made.
    Think I'll have a hunt for a sub £1k gmt whilst away.

The point of a holiday is to relax and/or do what you enjoy.

If I have a pool holiday with my kid that means larking around the pool, handstands, hauling myself out on the side and jumping back in etc. Even being careful I always manage to bang and mark a watch doing this. (Although a rubber strap is a huge scratch saver)

On holiday with the mrs means city break, which means for me finding the crappiest area of town and photographing it. With an expensive camera.

Adding an expensive watch into either scenario doesn’t bring me pleasure or relaxation.

I buy watches to wear (my 114060 doesn’t have an unmarked surface I think, even the bezel pip surround has a ding in it*) but I go on holiday to relax and/or do what I enjoy, which isn’t being stressed about my watch.

Citizen auto diver! Great lume, hacks/winds, sapphire, about +3spd iirc about £200 (it’s far too big for me though)

*in case anyone cares, some years back visited a shop with an upstairs but no lift. Took the kid out of the pushchair (she was walking by then) and carried the pushchair up. Same on the way down but I misjudged what I thought was the final step (it was actually the penultimate one) on a half landing and stumbled face first towards the wall, so instinctively dropped the (EMPTY) pushchair and put my arms up to protect myself. I guess I was lucky I didn’t shatter the insert or my wrist..

Personally I this this Casio Oceanus is the perfect holiday watch.

Slim, tough, 200mm water resistant, looks great either in the pool or at a restaurant. Cheap enough not to have to worry about it.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/ocw-s100-1ajf

Master

Cool

Decision made.

You can dress that bad boy up or down! PS mine says Hi

Blog Entries
    I tend to grab one of my diver watches which is not a Rolex for holiday duties.

This holiday I am (mostly) wearing (as in the Fast Show) :

Not seen another in the wild and just unusual enough to not attract bad attention.

One older gentleman on our trip is sporting a well used Bimetal DateJust with fluted bezel. Perhaps we concentrate too much hype. Madeira is a lovely place to visit btw.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    To be honest I don't even think it's accidently damaging it that stops me. It's probably more the thought of walking around with a few grand strapped to my wrist but then that doesn't stop me wearing them out and about in the UK.
    I've always thought with the gshock's that they're an easy no fuss watch, don't have to worry about knocking them and I don't have to think about setting the time.
    Just be nice to enjoy one of my better watches whilst away but then I suppose peace of mind is worth a lot when you're trying to relax for a week.

insurance?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

This is one of the reasons I always have a seiko of some description in the box,not too expensive,can swim with it and looks good.

Begs the question,why bother with expensive watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These concerns are why so many of my watches feature hardened steel in some form or another. Sinn, Damasko, Archimede, Dekla, Traska, Dievas, Bremont, Subdelta, Haldor, Montfort, Seiko, Citizen, Circula, Hanhart, and Askania all produce models or entire ranges that feature scratch-resistant steel - not in itself invincible, but it takes some mighty abuse to damage them. Perhaps not the right brands for bar-side bragging, but a hell of a lot more versatile, and no-one's likely to stab you for them...

Nobody cares about the watch you are wearing except you. Buy a CWC diver, wear it with gay abandon and eventually it will look so far gone ( like mine is ) you won't give it a second thought.

F.T.F.A.

I always take at least one nice watch on holiday, but have this for beaches, pools and the like. I bought it last year after an anxiety strewn afternoon on a shale / pebble beach in Nice with a freshly serviced Explorer. Nothing wrong with choosing a watch for the environment.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have a watch I keep almost exclusively for holidays... each mark is a story... being kinetic...
    A kinetic beater? Mine say hi!

Master
    Damasko for the win; not too expensive or common and will take whatever you through at it. Perfect holiday watch in my book.

I normally take 3 watches. Marathon Navigator for the pool, Aerospace for normal wear and the journey, then something dressy for the evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Personally I this this Casio Oceanus is the perfect holiday watch.

Slim, tough, 200mm water resistant, looks great either in the pool or at a restaurant. Cheap enough not to have to worry about it.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/ocw-s100-1ajf
    I like your thinking. Was heading that way until I found an older model on eBay:

The one watch I regret selling.

With hindsight, I really enjoyed having a watch I really didn't care less about knocking about. Vintage watches, I always aware of throwing away decades of careful ownership; more expensive modern watches, I was aware of the price. With this Seiko 5 came a lovely sense of freedom. Yeah, miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I like your thinking. Was heading that way until I found an older model on eBay:

Although I've now decided I need two watches so it will be Garmin and something nicer.

Every year, I tell myself that I need a new holiday watch. Of course, I don’t, but it’s a convenient excuse to justify adding something else fun and inexpensive to the collection.

This year I’ve decided to spend the money servicing and resealing an old favourite. It’s not a cheap watch per se, but it’s one I’ve worn and enjoyed and put plenty of marks on. I won’t get it refinished, if I were to do that I’d obsess about condition once again. I’m sending it off next week, and once back with me I think it will be the only watch I take for holiday. Evening meals, pool, sea and sand - I think it covers all the bases well enough.

Craftsman
    Holiday....sorted

Don't think I'll have any issues with this one.

The silly thing is, I've got a seamaster gmt which to me is the perfect holiday watch but I just need to grow a set and start wearing it.
    Returning to France at the end of July so the decisions made.

Decision made.

What model is this please? Like it 👌

Craftsman
    The silly thing is, I've got a seamaster gmt which to me is the perfect holiday watch but I just need to grow a set and start wearing it.
    Returning to France at the end of July so the decisions made.

That is indeed the perfect holiday watch, especially with the traveller GMT function. I often wear my 2264.50 with the convenience of quartz and the ability to move the hour hand back and forth without having to reset the watch. I was away last week wearing a titanium Fifth Fathoms, a watch that doesn't get attention and hasn't picked up any noticeable scratches as a very regular wearer.

Tend to wear these two on holidays.
    This one

And this one.
    Both inexpensive, superbly accurate and bulletproof (and waterproof of course).