closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BB58 Opinions on Strap Choices

BB58 Opinions on Strap Choices

Apologies in advance on what's probably going to be an unnecessarily verbose post for about two simple questions!

So let's start with the unnecessary back story!

I've been good as gold about buying watches, in fact up until last year I hadn't bought one since 2019 (and none at all between 2015 and 2018)!

In '22 I bought a couple of cheapies and in 23 I've basically gone clucking batpoo crazy with buying watches! (well for me anyway)

This has lead me to a watch I've wanted for quite a while, the BB58.

Now because of the aforementioned GAS I've taken the decision to hold myself back from the 58 so that's something special (and not just the 4th watch I bought in about six weeks)

It's in a safe place and I'm trying to save it for the summer.

This is quite a big deal to me as I've only once spent more money than that on a watch, and that was 11 years ago..

I also want to have my strap choices sourced and ready for whenever I let myself wear the watch* and I'd like nice things for a nice watch!

So... (finally)

The Forstner Model O bracelet:

Might I want this? Well I don't need it for the fit, rather unsportingly for internet rhetoric the standard Tudor bracelet fits me great, coming to rest on the middle hole of the micro-adjust. Perfect.

However I've had enough bracelets in my time to know that (on me at least) they don't half get scuffed up quickly and perhaps the Forstner bracelet is worth the outlay merely by virtue of keeping the OEM bracelet in good condition?

I'd imagine some of you have the model O Forstner bracelet, what's it like? Worth the cash?

Or would the forum wisdom here simply be, if the OEM works just wear that?

Secondly,

I'm fond of a single pass 'Nato'

Everest Bands have a nice design that looks like the Tudor option AFAICT, it's about £35 (well €40)

This seems quite a lot of an aftermarket nylon strap...

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Will I really notice and appreciate the difference over say one of Eddie's, Geckota etc etc? (both of which I own examples of and they seem fine)

A Leather strap I'm not sure I want (yet) - I might run with what I have in the watch box... See if I like the 58 on leather or not and decide then. (Maybe the lugs are a bit long for it tbh)

Erm TL:DR

Forstner model O bracelet = worth it or not?

Everest Bands Nato = worth it or not?

Thanks very much

*it's a little hard not to wear it (well it's not at my house so quite easy!) but this waiting has driven my excitement about getting it sky high which has actually been a tangibly pleasant experience!

Craftsman
    You were right about it being verbose ;-)

So in a nutshell you want to see a BB58 on an aftermarket bracelet, NATO or leather alternative?

Have you taken a look at http://cnswatchbands.com/ where you could buy a few cheapies to see what style and colours you like most?
    Last edited by YCymro; 26th May 2023 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post

You were right about it being verbose ;-)
    yeah I feel like kid that’s been grounded for years and finally allowed out and I’m really excited!

So in a nutshell you want to see a BB58 on an aftermarket bracelet, NATO or leather alternative?

Have you taken a look at http://cnswatchbands.com/ where you could buy a few cheapies to see what style and colours you like most?
    I fear my questions have been swallowed by the verbosity..

I know exactly what I want in terms of style and colours, it’s just whether I really need it or not.

I think it would be silly to not use the OEM bracelet.. they’re good quality and go well with the watch..

Which colour 58 you going for? I remember the hodinkee review of the blue one had some different straps..

I’ve just got a bunch of erikas straps for my BB54 and I’m really impressed with the quality and comfort (should be for the £££).. not really a fan of natos but these are different imo.. no long strap to double back etc..

I’ll try and put each one on and photo when I get some time.. here’s the first one I put on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    yeah I feel like kid that’s been grounded for years and finally allowed out and I’m really excited!
    I fear my questions have been swallowed by the verbosity..
    I know exactly what I want in terms of style and colours, it’s just whether I really need it or not.
    I really feel your excitement, and think that’s great. These damn watches really do it for us. I think the BB58 is superb - great choice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rapid View Post
    I think it would be silly to not use the OEM bracelet.. they’re good quality and go well with the watch..

Which colour 58 you going for? I remember the hodinkee review of the blue one had some different straps..

I’ve just got a bunch of erikas straps for my BB54 and I’m really impressed with the quality and comfort (should be for the £££).. not really a fan of natos but these are different imo.. no long strap to double back etc..

I’ll try and put each one on and photo when I get some time.. here’s the first one I put on.

That really suits it, and introduces an informal vibe, opposite to the OEM bracelet (which I like very much too)

I went with the gilt one... I went back and forth between the 58 and 54 (there's things I like/dislike about each) and eventually settled on the 58

I think you might be right about the bracelet, the spiel of the Forstner's does appear to the fit and lack of fake rivets, neither of which is a problem for me on the OEM bracelet

Thank you for the Erika's hint, I'd not seen them before and they do seem good... at the very least they certainly they make €40 for the Everest nato seem very reasonable!

I really feel your excitement, and think that’s great. These damn watches really do it for us. I think the BB58 is superb - great choice.
    Thank you, I had a long break from the disease er hobby then I quite legitimately convinced myself that these days microbrands and /or sub £1k watches were all anyone ever really needed quality wise and with so much less worry about something bad happening etc etc

Then now the BB58!

Master
    I really wanted to love the BB58 blue, but when I tried it on, I thought it just a tad too small (ended up with a full fat Pelagos). That being said, I keep seeing this;
    https://unlimitedstraps.com/products...44711324549401
    I know a jubilee on a diver divides opinion, and you did ask about an oyster, but as a different look, I think it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I really wanted to love the BB58 blue, but when I tried it on, I thought it just a tad too small (ended up with a full fat Pelagos). That being said, I keep seeing this;
    https://unlimitedstraps.com/products...44711324549401
    I know a jubilee on a diver divides opinion, and you did ask about an oyster, but as a different look, I think it works.
    Thanks, looks a bit dressy for a dive watch to me but I can see why folks would like it

I'm enjoying the suggestions I didn't know about, thank you all.

So is this

https://eu.everestbands.com/products...lon-watch-band

at €38.50 worth getting over ones that cost a tenner, maybe fifteen from the usual outlets?

Has anyone tried one and can comment on the quality? For reference years back I got one of these

https://www.timefactors.com/collecti...trap-black-pvd

(maybe I got an earlier version)

And it's tough, has lasted great - the holes haven't elongated (well the hole I use), super happy with it

I don't begrudge paying extra, except when the extra counts for nought

RE a bracelet, so far the forum wisdom appears to be, if the Tudor bracelet fits - wear it as it's the best option

I’ve messed about with straps on watches and it always - and I mean always - ends up back on the bracelet. Then I’m left with the inevitable slightly marked lugs - no matter how much tape I use or how careful I am, particularly with a watch like the 58 with such snug end links, there’s some kind of mark.
    I bought a black dial 58 just over a year ago and it’s never been off the bracelet, imho it just looks best that way. I do think the Forster Jubilee looks good but won’t be buying one when I have the oem fitted. I’d just wear it on the bracelet and be done with it!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve messed about with straps on watches and it always - and I mean always - ends up back on the bracelet. Then I’m left with the inevitable slightly marked lugs - no matter how much tape I use or how careful I am, particularly with a watch like the 58 with such snug end links, there’s some kind of mark.
    I bought a black dial 58 just over a year ago and it’s never been off the bracelet, imho it just looks best that way. I do think the Forster Jubilee looks good but won’t be buying one when I have the oem fitted. I’d just wear it on the bracelet and be done with it!
    Thanks that’s a resounding answer.

Would it be mansplainy of me to suggest spring bar pliers? My 114060 has the snuggest end links of any watch I’ve ever had, yet with the pliers they come off pretty easily, well once I had the knack (although IMO that’s a watch that only works on the bracelet)

I’m just being brutally honest - I’ve got the correct Bergeon springbar tools, I use tape, I’m really careful but if you get into the bug of swapping straps I really do believe marks are inevitable - especially with the sharp lug edges of a watch like the 58 where the bars exit the back of the lugs. I haven’t tried the spring bar pliers - they look very good - as I’ve heard only the Bergeon ones are worth buying?
    However, that’s kind of missing the point. I might keep a watch on a NATO or a leather strap for a day, maybe an hour, and it would be back on the bracelet. In spite of trying on so many watches I just think Nato straps are a bit Milletts/camping shop level tat, and I don’t really like leather on a dive watch - so I’m not going to get into the whole strap swapping business!
    Ps don’t get me started on the stupidly short oem Tudor straps - I tried on a black bay bronze and the ends of the leather strap didn’t even meet round my wrist! And the BB58 nato didn’t go round far enough to meet the first strap hole. What’s that all about?
    Last edited by RobDad; 27th May 2023 at 10:47.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These are top quality. The hardware is polished and brushed just like OEM.

https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevr...noir-gilt.html

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    These are top quality. The hardware is polished and brushed just like OEM.

https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevr...noir-gilt.html
    they do look good, thank you

I’m just being brutally honest - I’ve got the correct Bergeon springbar tools, I use tape, I’m really careful but if you get into the bug of swapping straps I really do believe marks are inevitable - especially with the sharp lug edges of a watch like the 58 where the bars exit the back of the lugs. I haven’t tried the spring bar pliers - they look very good - as I’ve heard only the Bergeon ones are worth buying?
    However, that’s kind of missing the point. I might keep a watch on a NATO or a leather strap for a day, maybe an hour, and it would be back on the bracelet. In spite of trying on so many watches I just think Nato straps are a bit Milletts/camping shop level tat, and I don’t really like leather on a dive watch - so I’m not going to get into the whole strap swapping business!
    Ps don’t get me started on the stupidly short oem Tudor straps - I tried on a black bay bronze and the ends of the leather strap didn’t even meet round my wrist! And the BB58 nato didn’t go round far enough to meet the first strap hole. What’s that all about?
    I change straps quite a lot, firstly because I like to photograph ruined buildings which sometimes means clambering up a wall (up not over!) and resting my forearms on the top to get a shot and this isn't a nice thing to do with a bracelet, but a great thing to do with a nato!

I also spend a lot of time in Portugal and a nato/tropic I find more comfy in summer

But frequently I might knock about all day in nato/tropic then if we're going out somewhere in the evening I'll put the nicer bracelet back on, then in the morning go back to the nato/tropic

I bought some Chinese springbar pliers 4 years ago from amazon... about £40 if memory serves... they came with lots of spare tips in different sizes (I dunno say three sizes and duplicates of each)

Once I had the knack... (hold the bracelet still, move the watch head, do not try to drag the bracelet off with the tool, and it's super important that the tips are exactly aligned with each other) I generally don't have a problem... I can't lie and say it's never slipped... but generally when this has happened it's because I've rushed it or got complacent or I didn't check that the tips were parallel.

With watches I generally don't gel with them and they're gone quickly or I own them so long and wear them so much that some scratches under the lugs are the least of the wear and tear!

I find taping the lugs is OK on watches that have spring bars that would come in a multi pack for a fiver, but with higher end ones (that match Rolex quality and cost about £7-10 each aftermarket) they can tear through even electrical tape, although electrical tape does help (and I'd rather wash some sticky tape residue off than kid myself that I'm doing a factory finish job brushing the marks out with a fibreglass pen!!)

My wrist is (at a stretch) 7" so I'd probably be ok... except I always buy watches on bracelets if possible because aftermarket straps are plentiful and available but buying bracelets separately is expensive and/or hard to source

Different strokes for different folks! I used to stick a NATO on a 14060M Submariner - back when they were £1500 and available out of a shop window with no waiting! (Well, they’d go straight back on the bracelet but I’d try out the look!) Now Swiss automatics are £££, whilst I don’t baby my watches the type of ‘scrambling over rocks’ endeavour you describe is precisely why I have amassed quite a selection of G shocks over the years!

Different strokes for different folks! I used to stick a NATO on a 14060M Submariner - back when they were £1500 and available out of a shop window with no waiting! (Well, they’d go straight back on the bracelet but I’d try out the look!) Now Swiss automatics are £££, whilst I don’t baby my watches the type of ‘scrambling over rocks’ endeavour you describe is precisely why I have amassed quite a selection of G shocks over the years!
    My 114060 was bought by me seeing it in the AD window, walking in, haggling a 5% discount from rrp then walking out with it! And I’ve worn it to hell and back.

I’m a little shocked at today’s Swiss prices but not as shocked as I am at the hoops people seem to have to jump through to be allowed to buy one.

I’m actually surprised I let myself have the Tudor… I’ve had a lot of satisfaction from various microbrands in my purchases since getting the Rolex, many of them turn out a decent watch for far less than (say) a Sumo costs new these days

I believe the Tudor straps do come in different lengths.. it’s not a one size fits all as far as I’m aware..

Well, the standard ones as fitted are very short indeed - if I wanted to walk into an AD and buy one of their watches on a strap they’d no doubt have to order it in, and goodness knows how long that would take!

Personally favour the Forstner Oyster over the oem bracelet. The quality between the two is evident but quite like the vintage feel and rattle of the Forstner which reminds me of my old Tudor Snowflakes. Taper is a big winner for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Personally favour the Forstner Oyster over the oem bracelet. The quality between the two is evident but quite like the vintage feel and rattle of the Forstner which reminds me of my old Tudor Snowflakes. Taper is a big winner for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you that's good to know, I thought the OEM bracelet tapered to 16mm too?

Grand Master
    I sold my BB58 but have kept the Uncle Seiko Jubilee just if I ever get another.

Superb watch and superb on the Jubilee.

RE aftermarket bracelets I'm getting a sense of that ol' adage 'ask 3 different WIS, get 4 different opinions'

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a forstener jubilee for the BB58. It’s quite well made

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    RE aftermarket bracelets I'm getting a sense of that ol' adage 'ask 3 different WIS, get 4 different opinions'
    Oh yes,but then thats only your opinion!..lol.

Craftsman
    I have mine on a blue rubber b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve tried my 58 on a range of straps but I don’t think you can better the bracelet.

Best alternative is a RubberB followed by a nato. I don’t really get divers on leather, I did try a few but it’s not for me.

Tudor Black Bay 58 on RubberB

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I’ve tried my 58 on a range of straps but I don’t think you can better the bracelet.

Best alternative is a RubberB followed by a nato. I don’t really get divers on leather, I did try a few but it’s not for me.

Tudor Black Bay 58 on RubberB
    Thank you, when it comes to rubber I’m a massive fan of the Jospeh Bonnie tropic (I have two) so I think that’s covered

OK thank you everyone, you’ve been very helpful.

Bracelet:

I will stick with the OEM for a while… I’m personally a little unconvinced about the spring (basically elasticated?) link in the Forstners and the OEM bracelet fits me great

Rubber:

Once I discovered Jospeh Bonnie’s tropic I stopped looking. Maybe there’s better choices, but I’m happy there… besides my full name is not far off Joseph Bonnie so it’s one of those meant to be things

Nato:

I have plenty of these in the watch box… the total unoriginality of a Bond coloured one would probably be my first port of call… I’ll play with my stock colours and see if I feel the need to upgrade

I actually had a traumatic experience with a nato yesterday.. one managed to dislodge BOTH springbars simultaneously leading to a watch falling to the floor… (WTAF?) So right now I’m not feeling the nato love

Leather:

Yeah not convinced, but I quite enjoy an alligator on my Kingston, so I’ve picked up one from SC yesterday and we’ll see how it looks. If naff then it can go on a different watch (all my watches are 20mm lug width)

Thanks again

Just my 2 cents,

My BB58 has pretty much been on the bracelet for the 4+yrs I've had it, I have no issues with the faux rivets or fitting, when on holiday or hot summer here I use the 2nd hole on the micro adjustment. Yes it would be great to have the 'no tool' adjustment like the Ranger bracelet, (which I think fits, but no faux rivets - seems odd to my eye on the BB58). No issue comfort wise & I can see why Rolex oyster style bracelets have a great liking.

My other half bought me the Tudor BB58 OEM nato, yes it's expensive but I do like things OEM, very comfortable and changes the look and feel of the watch, getting the bracelet off was a pain due to tolerances, I have a Bergeon spring bar tool and a £15ish Amazon one plier type, lugs are scratched on the rear but it doesnt bother me. Removing the bracelet requires the pliers, removing the nato requires the spring bar tool.

Generally come back to the bracelet, as after a while in the heat the nato needs a wash.

Master
    Blog Entries

On the BB58 theme, did anyone actually buy a gold one. I think they were £14k rrp and the worst looking iteration.

Like an earlier poster, I have several Erika's Original straps that I wear and they have supplanted the dozens of old nato and canvas straps I've accumulated over the years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone got a 925 on aftermarket straps? I fancy another and the Fraser hart deal at £3k is tempting

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Just my 2 cents,

My BB58 has pretty much been on the bracelet for the 4+yrs I've had it, I have no issues with the faux rivets or fitting, when on holiday or hot summer here I use the 2nd hole on the micro adjustment. Yes it would be great to have the 'no tool' adjustment like the Ranger bracelet, (which I think fits, but no faux rivets - seems odd to my eye on the BB58). No issue comfort wise & I can see why Rolex oyster style bracelets have a great liking.
    Just a heads up, I’ve heard good things about the below extension which would give you the quick expansion if needed?

https://steel-reef.com/products/blac...sion-half-link

Master
    Blog Entries

This might help with Tudor nato alternatives.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=522750

Just a heads up, I’ve heard good things about the below extension which would give you the quick expansion if needed?

https://steel-reef.com/products/blac...sion-half-link
    Thanks I did look into this, & as I understand it's similar to the Rolex extension on the Explorer. I think the size makes it too big once extended.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Thanks I did look into this, & as I understand it's similar to the Rolex extension on the Explorer. I think the size makes it too big once extended.
    Their site says 5mm which IMO is a big jump in one go... Like going from January to August wrist sizing in a moment!

I see, that is a big jump.. borderline useless but people have recommended it to others..

On a side note I picked up the uncle seiko half link for BB58 and as suspected it fits the BB54 perfectly.