closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The perfect traveller's watch - a search over? GS SBGN027 HAQ

The perfect traveller's watch - a search over? GS SBGN027 HAQ

I've always had a thing for traveller's GMT watches, and have tried most. I'm not going to play the game with Rolex ADs, and I'm at the stage now where I feel uncomfortable with that much cash on my wrist. (I've owned ExIIs and a GMT-II, so I know what they're like.) I've tried Omega, and of course, many Seikos (Kinetic, quartz, Spring Drive.) Even the HAQ chrono movement in the Breitling CA M1 (an under-rated watch, IMHO.)

And I'm hoping that this one will stick, and let me stop chasing my tail!

It's a SBGN027, so Seiko's 9F86 movement with the independent hour hand and a GMT hand, and a claimed accuracy of +/-10s per year. We'll see.

It's 39mm in diameter, and just over 12mm thick. 19mm lug width, because of course it is, thank you Seiko. Anyway, the bracelet has stayed in the box - while it has a half-link, there's no micro-adjust (never mind quick adjust) on the clasp. C'mon, Seiko. I've squeezed a Nick Mankey 20mm in there for now, and a 19mm EO is on the way.

It's only 72g on the strap as shown, and slim, with no fabric behind the watch head. Throw in 200m of WR and I think I've got a good traveller's watch - one that needn't take off for the duration of a trip, and shouldn't get me mugged!

Interestingly, the rehaut is silver/grey for the bottom half of the dial, but it's hard to notice as the watch angles away from the wearer, of course.

Drilled lugs!

It's a lovely little (when did 39mm become little?) watch. Let's see if it sticks!

W.
    Last edited by Qatar-wol; 25th May 2023 at 10:11.

Fantastic looking watch. One I've never been aware of before. Enjoy.

Near perfect, I would want a rotating bezel to achieve nirvana, but that is pretty close.
    Good crown position too.
    I love the way that Seiko now integrates the lume into the indices on the quarters.

ps - seen the new Vaer automatic GMTs, using the Miyota true GMT movement? That's nice too......

i've been thinking about this one after catching sight of it at WoS. Wears really nice and compact for a 39mm, probably because of the way the lugs curve down to hug the wrist.
    at the time i passed because the bracelet felt a little tinny, and im mostly a bracelet person.
    its stunning looking though, give me a shout if it doesnt stick haha

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    ... I'm hoping that this one will stick, and let me stop chasing my tail! ...

You LOVE chasing your tail - and it's great exercise

It is a very nice watch. Like all GS it has many, many virtues. Like most GS I find it a mite conservative - but that is more my fault than Seiko's.

Master
    I used to have no interest in GMT watches. I owned a Farer GMT and moved it along pretty quickly. I also had very little interest in GS. But I'm now travelling a lot and the idea of the GMT is much more appealing. This looks like a lovely example. @Quatar-wol, how do you find it in comparison to the Seiko SBGX293, that you sold on SC? That was the only other GS I liked.

Craftsman
    I really like the GS 9F86 GMT quartz movements, but I can't make my mind up if I like the newer designs with the 4 o'clock date and truncated hands vs the older SBGN003/5, which also have lume on all the indices.

Either way, a nice watch, I hope it sticks!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    @Quatar-wol, how do you find it in comparison to the Seiko SBGX293, that you sold on SC? That was the only other GS I liked.
    This one?

Seiko's Milgauss. I really wanted to like that watch. It is both a tiny bit smaller than the GMT, and a little bulkier and heavier, if that makes sense. I love the lugs, mind. The decision to omit the stepping hour (found on the older 8F Seiko movements) was baffling to me. Because the anti-magnetic Seiko was a little older, the lume was a little weaker, too. It was a good watch - I think I owned the silver-dialled version, too.

I also had the SBGN001 - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Seiko

Which is similar, but I didn't like the textured dial and the yellow. +/-5spy be damned!

Great watch and excellent photos.

If they ever release this without a date (personal preference) I won't be able to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Great watch and excellent photos.

If they ever release this without a date (personal preference) I won't be able to resist.
    Yes-without the date would be very nice. Or even a matching colour date window-if you have to put it there, don't make it too obvious

Personally this is one I'm looking forward to trying..
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

My all-time favourite GS.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

While I like the idea of GMT's I've never really used them for their intended purpose as I can generally mentally add or subtract a few hours to find the time in other zones.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My GS GMT…. with colour matching date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is nice. A little larger and once Seiko learn how to make a proper bracelet, I'd be interested. [< Sadly these points will preclude me from this once it appears on the SC in due course. However, until then, enjoy! ]

I think my tastes and interest in GMTs are fairly similar to yours Walter (did I sell you the Breitling M1?).

I decided recently that it's the independent hour hand I like the most and could actually live without the GMT hand in many cases!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I think my tastes and interest in GMTs are fairly similar to yours Walter (did I sell you the Breitling M1?).

I decided recently that it's the independent hour hand I like the most and could actually live without the GMT hand in many cases!
    Strong chance! The indy hour hand is why I like some of the more modern Panerai offerings. And yes, I could live without the 24-hand. I don't mind it, but...

Dammit Seiko, what happened to the 8F?!

Here - in the light. Honestly, the dial is black in 99% of circumstances!

Master

here's mine

That is a lovely looking watch.

What’s the lume like? I use GMT’s for their intended purpose, and am forever waking up at strange hours, in unfamiliar hotel rooms, where I appreciate good lume telling me whether it’s now time to get up, or still time to try to get some sleep.

Not seeing why it's quartz though? Automatic for an enthusiast?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    My GS GMT…. with colour matching date!
    Nice one Jack, what's the model reference for that one please?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post

I think it's the SBGN003. There was one with yellow accents launched at the same time that was even more accurate.

Quartz works because it's pick up and go, and very accurate. These Grand Seiko movements are quite special.

Lume is good, not great - the small plots are the limiting factor. If lume is your priority, willie_gunn, then may I direct you to the ProSpex line of SpringDrive watches? https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post

Yes, SBGN003 as Walter says; the SBGN005 is the same but with a really nice blue dial, but the date is white which bothered me a bit.

19mm strap arrived, so hopefully this thing won't be off my wrists for a bit!

Master
    Very nice. Can’t believe how similar the bezel is to my old Exp II.

SEIKO DID IT FIRST THOUGH

Master
    Good luck with it sticking, although personally the lack of any colour and *micro adjustment mean I'm still waiting for the ideal GS.

*GS just need to look at IWC, it's not rocket science.

I have a perfectly lovely 16570 and too many watches, yet I’m obsessing over one of these:

Picture from Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsdEHEtt...ZiM2M3MzIxNA==

It’s got a very strong Explorer II vibe (that I already own!), and it’s quartz, yet I really really want one.

This is such a sickness

D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    For years, I had this on top of my 'wanted' list as well. Until I spotted one on a guy's wrist in Amsterdam. We talked about it and I then realised that the hands have no lumen. And I like lumen. Well, need that. My eyesight is 'below par' and a hefty dose of lumen helps a lot. This one fell off the 'wanted list' and I'm more and more interested in an elegantly shaped GMT with proper lumen.

When the SBGN027 was shown at the top of this thread, I thought that it's the GMT I want. But reading on, I figured out that the lumen isn't as good as what I'm used to see on a Seiko. I'm on the fence: y/n. on my list.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    While I like the idea of GMT's I've never really used them for their intended purpose as I can generally mentally add or subtract a few hours to find the time in other zones.

Interesting! When my wife travelled the world and with the kids still young, I always wore a GMT when she was away and one clock in the kitchen was set to 'Mamma's time'. That changed when they became older; we only discussed before she left: 'how many time zones?' and they figured it out themselves.

Now with a kid living and working on the Dutch Antilles, we started (again) with one clock in the kitchen set to 'his time'. After a week, we set the clock back to the GMT+1 time we have here on the Continent. And like you, we do the mental subtraction.

Still, a kid 6hrs aways is always a good excuse for a new GMT!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I think it's the SBGN003. There was one with yellow accents launched at the same time that was even more accurate.

Quartz works because it's pick up and go, and very accurate. These Grand Seiko movements are quite special.

Lume is good, not great - the small plots are the limiting factor. If lume is your priority, willie_gunn, then may I direct you to the ProSpex line of SpringDrive watches? https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Seiko
    Many thanks - I’ll keep an eye open for the SNR033 and SNR035

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I have a perfectly lovely 16570 and too many watches, yet I’m obsessing over one of these:

Picture from Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsdEHEtt...ZiM2M3MzIxNA==

It’s got a very strong Explorer II vibe (that I already own!), and it’s quartz, yet I really really want one.

This is such a sickness

D

I think the very sharp design with sharp hands and indices adds to the appeal of that watch and with it not entirely looking like a Rolex knockoff. I don’t really wear quartz, but if I was, it would be at the top of my list for those reasons. The case looks great too imo.
    Now, let’s go back to being serious Dave, what you need is another pam!