closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heating oil - when to blink

Master

Heating oil - when to blink

Down to 54ppl, we're currently at forty something percent so I might squeeze 1200+ litres in and we would probably see out winter (unless it's a very cold one) on a single tank if filled now. Or do I hedge and get 750 now and and another 500+ in August? It was only summer 2021 that I paid twenty something.

I wonder if the price might go up when/if the Ukraniains go on the offensive (or the Russsians for that matter).

Thoughts please folks.

same for my mother in law so we sort for her.

anyway here's how it works

If you order now the price will drop significantly the day after they deliver.

If you decide not to order now the price will go up significantly the day after.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/infla...ries/kj5u/mm23
    Last edited by TKH; 22nd May 2023 at 12:29.

Last year I refused to pay 0.65/l as it was so expensive I did not believe it could stay that high for long. I ended up having to fill up at 0.98/l a couple of months later as we had completely run out.

It is therefore best that I add nothing further to this discussion, as I am clearly clueless - but I will instead watch with interest!

Master
    I'm going to need some soon too. Unlike Maysie I did fill up, somewhat disgruntled, at 65p early last year and then watched it shoot up so was pleased. I think the last batch was 88 or so, by far the highest I've ever paid.
    I'm down to about 400l now but then we only use the hot water for an hour a day and the cooker less so that will last a while.
    Watch for a bit I think.

Managed to get 1700 litres at 18p when the arse fell out of it a few years ago.
    Had to pay 93p last year for 1000…

Swings and roundabouts

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Managed to get 1700 litres at 18p when the arse fell out of it a few years ago.
    Had to pay 93p last year for 1000…

Swings and roundabouts
    Similar to me. Recall paying 18p on lockdown and around 85p last year.

To the OP, when Martin Lewis advises on when people should buy currency, he says if people are concerned about fluctuations then to buy half now and half before the holiday. Probably a good move for you.

Heating oil - when to blink

Nobody can predict so dollar cost average 20% every month over the next 5 months

Fill up then don’t look at the price again till you need more.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Nobody can predict so dollar cost average 20% every month over the next 5 months
    Our local oil merchants won't deliver under 500L at a time

The peak last year was about £1.90 (briefly) so I'd just fill up now and not think about it again.

Master
    Just took a fill of 1000 litres @ £0.57 per litre including tax.

Craftsman
    I've found it worthwhile signing up here to track the prices https://www.oil-club.co.uk/join/
    Unlike boiler juice no admin fees. You get a weekly price email with a brief explanation of what prices are doing. I then use this to haggle with my local supplier

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I blinked at just a shade under 54ppl, 1200 litres coming tomorrow. It was the Saudi's cutting production plus the imminent Ukrainian offensive that made me decide a bird in the hand...

Mains gas would be so much easier, but at that price heating oil is still half the price per kwh and there is no standing charge.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I blinked at just a shade under 54ppl, 1200 litres coming tomorrow. It was the Saudi's cutting production plus the imminent Ukrainian offensive that made me decide a bird in the hand...

Mains gas would be so much easier, but at that price heating oil is still half the price per kwh and there is no standing charge.
    I was always a little concerned about heating oil as a fuel (mainly because I knew little about it), but we eventually lived in a house with it for two years and found it a very reasonable way to heat the house. I never let the tank (1800l capacity) get so low that I was forced to fill when prices were high, and am pretty sure that I was paying less than gas for those two years.