closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC Canvas Strap Advice

CWC Canvas Strap Advice

Has anyone bought one of these for a G10 and do you recommend the 18mm or 20mm?

Thank you!

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...30896456138838

Master
    I don’t have the strap but do have a G10. I can see an 18mm looking the part. A 20mm would be too big and look a bit odd in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    I don’t have the strap but do have a G10. I can see an 18mm looking the part. A 20mm would be too big and look a bit odd in my opinion.
    Thank you.

The 19mm lugs are a bit awkward on a G10 aren’t they?

I’ve found some 18mm straps run a little bit wide so that they fill that gap, but equally that CWC’s own 20mm single pass fits perfectly well too.

I think Zuludiver's canvas efforts can be had in 19, or at least some of them. Failing that, ordering a bespoke one from Jose Aguilar always a good bet, his canvas numbers are superb.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Thank you.

The 19mm lugs are a bit awkward on a G10 aren’t they?

I’ve found some 18mm straps run a little bit wide so that they fill that gap, but equally that CWC’s own 20mm single pass fits perfectly well too.
    I use 18mm Phoenix Natos on my G10 and quite like the look. I didnt know that the CWC 20mm single pass worked.

Watch Obesssion do 19mm Natos and they are good quality.

My Mellor came attached to one. I've tried to fit it to the GS, but there wan't enough room between the case and the fixed bar to pass it through. It is quite a thick strap. G10 may be different?

Nice strap though. A little long for me, and it doesn't really tuck back on itself. I'm finding the Havestons with the floating keepers more suitable.

I'd check how thick the strap is. I have 3 watches in this style, 2x CWC from 1983 & 2004, and a Precista 6bb from 1984, and Haveston canvas won't fit on them.
    F.T.F.A.

Speaking from direct experience, I have one of these straps and have the GS, and with a lot of faff managed to fit the strap once.

I decided it didn't suit so took it off. A few months later I thought I'd try again but I could not get it to fit through the gap, no matter how much work I put in.

It's a real PITA so if you're a fan of quickly and easily swapping straps, then this isn't the strap you want. If you want to battle it for an hour or so to get it on the watch and then leave it on the watch, then it's fine.

It might be different for a standard G10, and I guess there may be smidgens of tolerance difference between watches, but on my particular watch it was a no go.

Luckily it fits the Hamilton W10 perfectly:

CWC Canvas Strap Advice

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I think Zuludiver's canvas efforts can be had in 19, or at least some of them. Failing that, ordering a bespoke one from Jose Aguilar always a good bet, his canvas numbers are superb.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
    Good shout regarding Zuludiver - I’ll check them out. A bespoke one sounds good, especially as the length especially matters as the thickness would stop it from folding back as Cornholio suggests.

CWC Canvas Strap Advice

I use 18mm Phoenix Natos on my G10 and quite like the look. I didnt know that the CWC 20mm single pass worked.
    I’ll post a photo of the 20mm.

Watch Obesssion do 19mm Natos and they are good quality.
    I’ve always wondering what they are like, I’ll have to try one.
    Last edited by TheGent; 22nd May 2023 at 18:43.

CWC Canvas Strap Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    My Mellor came attached to one. I've tried to fit it to the GS, but there wan't enough room between the case and the fixed bar to pass it through. It is quite a thick strap. G10 may be different?
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'd check how thick the strap is. I have 3 watches in this style, 2x CWC from 1983 & 2004, and a Precista 6bb from 1984, and Haveston canvas won't fit on them.

Very good point, the thickness could be an issue. Hadn’t thought of that but when I read the CWC website again:

Please note, the 18mm can be a tight fit when used on certain years of the G10 range of watches, but they do go on. Inserting the end sideways can help thread it through the gap, and a side-to-side motion as you work it through also helps. If you are unable to get it through, you can use a small vice or pliers (with a cloth over the end of the strap to keep it clean), compress the end and work it side-to-side to pull it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Speaking from direct experience, I have one of these straps and have the GS, and with a lot of faff managed to fit the strap once.

I decided it didn't suit so took it off. A few months later I thought I'd try again but I could not get it to fit through the gap, no matter how much work I put in.

It's a real PITA so if you're a fan of quickly and easily swapping straps, then this isn't the strap you want. If you want to battle it for an hour or so to get it on the watch and then leave it on the watch, then it's fine.

It might be different for a standard G10, and I guess there may be smidgens of tolerance difference between watches, but on my particular watch it was a no go.

Looks the business! But I think it’s not going to work for a G10 as you, and others have said.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Master
    The CWC single pass must be very thick if it doesn’t fit a G10.

I like 18mm NATOs :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

That does look good!

The CWC single pass must be very thick if it doesn’t fit a G10.

I like 18mm NATOs :-)

I think the canvas is too thick for a G10.

Lovely collection!

You could try CNS cotton nato.

19mm, a range of colours, fit perfectly and super comfy. Not the longest though, enough to fold back on my 7" wrist but not too much larger

Master
    I have a few from CWC which are very good and fit very well between the lugs. Nice quality also. I find the that the issued straps that I own are a little thin and flimsy, so tend not to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    You could try CNS cotton nato.

19mm, a range of colours, fit perfectly and super comfy. Not the longest though, enough to fold back on my 7" wrist but not too much larger

They look good. I have always been impressed with CNS offerings. I’ll check the cotton NATO’s out.

I didnt know that the CWC 20mm single pass worked.
    Here’s a photo of the fit of the 20mm ribbed single pass from CWC:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Here’s a photo of the fit of the 20mm ribbed single pass from CWC:

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post

Nice strap though. A little long for me, and it doesn't really tuck back on itself. I'm finding the Havestons with the floating keepers more suitable.
    Eventually got my hands on one of the CWC canvas straps and found the same thing - the gap was too close between the case and the fixed bar.

Also it’s too long for me. Quality strap, but not for me.