closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I've just discovered Christopher Ward watches!

I've just discovered Christopher Ward watches!

Well, it's a typical dank and dreary day in NE Scotland so what better a time to show off my new found watch brand.

I've been aware of the CW brand for a good few years and rightly, or wrongly been swayed by critics who bemoan the logo nonsense...wrongly as it turns out I've been missing a trick.

So what have I found with the CW brand?

First to arrive was a white dialled Trident Pro which appeared on SC a couple of weeks ago, I think it's a V2.5? from 2015.
    The dial has a wavy texture which reminds me of the older Omega Seamasters.
    Lovely condition but the bracelet with PCL's did show some wear. It's now been re-finished and looks so much better - but I'm not a fan of polished centre links, so it's on a Hirsch Robby with lifts it's looks considerably in my eyes.
    It's quite large at 43mm but reminds me of Tudor's Black Bay watches with their slab-side looks but I can live with that.
    Overall I really was taken by the quality sufficiently to go on the hunt for another.

Enter the CW Anthropocene, this came to me as a 'as new' set. It was offered on a CW Tide strap which had no appeal for me. The seller was good enough to make a decent reduction for the set as a head only.
    Beautiful watch with its saphire lacquered dial which in some lights is a little translucent, it's supposed to represent polar ice, the orange GMT hand gives a good lift to the general appearance. I bought a eBay FKM strap in black and orange - kind of pulls the whole colour scheme together, but I think it's going to go on another Hirsch Robby in black/orange as they're comfortable straps. Or, a CW Hybrid in similar colours - my only issue with that strap is why did CW decide to colour the strap holes in orange, doesn't sit well with me but maybe I can get past it.
    Great lume (including the ceramic bezel) and timekeeping at around -2spd.
    Criticisms - a couple of minor ones. No lume pip and the 4 screw heads on the dial at 3 & 9 look a little odd.
    Perhaps paint the GMT hand in a colour to match the dial apart from the orange segment...see my comments on the next watch.
    The 'light catcher' case is very clever in reducing the visual apparent thickness. Clever indeed - a few other manufacturers should try something similar, Tudor I'm pointing at you.
    Otherwise it's wonderful and one that will be staying for sure.

Finally, I can't help myself, had to have another!
    Up popped a fairly new Trident Pro GMT, had to give it a go. My only reservations were that it was a 40mm version; for years my choice has been 41mm+. The Planet Ocean at 45mm was too big I'll admit!
    Anyway the deal was sealed and I'm delighted with it - a peach of a watch.
    40mm wears superbly. Gloss black dial is very legible and the GMT hand partially in black gives an illusion of the orange section floating on the dial, perfect. Lumed ceramic bezel is lovely too.
    Same comments for the Anthropocene above for the light catcher case; it's superb.
    This one came on a black CW Hybrid strap, very comfortable but I do think a splash of orange in the strap would pull it all together. So it looks like Hirsch Robby or try the CW hybrid will have to come to the rescue...see my WTB

Finally my thoughts on CW; for the money I wonder why I've been seduced by other brands. They offer remarkable value for money, the attention to detail and general finishing puts other brands at 3x, or more, the cost in the shade. I am very impressed. All were bought on the secondary market and all 3 cost a good chunk less than buying a used Tudor bog standard Black Bay. I'd argue that any of the CW's I've picked up stack up favourably against the likes of Tudor.

A few average pictures in no particular order, can't seem to fathom out how to put them in the right place with Tapatalk. Enjoy and thanks for reading :)
    Last edited by jacinabox; 22nd May 2023 at 10:37.

Master
    That is rather a nice trio you have there.
    Back in 2016, I was looking for a niceish holiday watch and CW came up on my list, along with Glycine and Squale. I was put off the CW by the hand set, as in your white dial Trident (although I loved the wave dial), and the PCL's. I ended up with a 39mm Longines HC which was perfect for the job, albeit I have replaced the red bezel for a black one now.
    The new CW's are much improved, and I especially like the case shape on them.

2nd hand is where the value for money comes in, they are very well made watches but I wouldn't pay full price for one.

I've had many over the year's but the only one I currently own is the trident pro 600 chronograph which I bought on sales corner and I love it, 43mm is spot on.

I'm also not a fan of polished center link's so I brush any I get, it look's so much better.

Sent from a technical device.

I’ve owned a few CW and really rate them, especially the newer models with the light catcher cases. Now the branding has been sorted I feel they’re pretty much spot on. I might have bought the C60 Elite 1000 or the Lympstone by now had they had the change of logo too.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 21st May 2023 at 19:22.

Very nice trio of Watches, I currently have 20 in my collection and rate them highly.

Yep, can’t go far wrong with the modern CW’s, I had the Super Compressor for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Had one and loved it and put in a deposit for the Bel Canto but when I read up on where is Christopher Ward now and what happened to him I decided it wasn't for me, sold the watch and cancelled the Bel Canto order. Good watches brand aside but way too much inspiration in the new one for me though.

Master
    Having had a bronze Trident C60 pro I know they are very good watches. I'd have one again but agree, pre owned is the best value.

I’ve had about 3 or 4 CW’s and I think they are superb value for the money. They are possibly my favourite brand generally, these days. Why?

- British company, making quality Swiss watches.
    - I feel they’ve really established their own design DNA now with the twin flag logo, sword & dagger handset and excellent light catcher case.
    - Prices are capped at 3x the cost of production, with no middle man AD, meaning the enthusiast gets a great price.
    - Their packaging is 95% fully sustainable, aiming for 100% and they sponsor and support various ecological projects around the world
    - They have a CEO that is visible and engages with fans rather than being some faceless conglomerate.

Of course none of this would mean anything if the watches were rubbish, but they’re not, they’re excellent. CW are making watches near the quality Tudor we’re making 6/7 years ago when they were predominantly Selitta/ETA based.

I currently have the 36mm Sealander in white, got it used for £440 - an absolute bargain - and it’s a watch that competes in that same Swiss ‘GADA’ bracket as the Sinn 556i but is a superior watch to the Sinn at a much better price.

I had their colourful vintage chrono diver and it was great, sold it as it was just a little too big for me. For me the signature CW sharp arrow hour hands are dealbreakers on most of their line. I’d consider picking up another if they ditched them.

Nice watches and new branding does help.

Love that Anthrapocene but why those screws?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheFixer View Post
    Very nice trio of Watches, I currently have 20 in my collection and rate them highly.
    Think we need a pic of these.

As previously mentioned I really like the look of the Lympstone and the spec is impressive. I’m not a fan of twin crowns or compass markings but on this it really works. I know from experience that it’ll be high quality well constructed. But….it would need the twin flags. And I think they should be applied in black, like on the Smiths Everest, so as to maintain the stealthy qualities.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They have come a long way from the early days.

Good to see some appreciation for CW :)

As many have pointed out I'm not alone in seeing CW representing superb value for money, especially in view of the crazy prices being asked for other brands.
    I'm wearing a Tudor Black Bay red bezel and I can't help but feel, even though the Tudor was bought used at a good price, I could've saved a huge chunk by buying CW with red bezel with a similar look.
    Is there a difference in finishing and execution between the Anthropocene and Tudor? No, not a bit.
    Tudor uses there own movement which will limit choices of servicing agent...CW uses Selitta with no limitations on who services it.
    Tag seem to use the same movement on watches costing multiples more than CW.

davidj54 makes same good points on how CW are different from other manufacturers. They seem to have a 'green conscience' too which I admire...I think for every Anthropocene that sells they're giving 5% of the cost to David Shepards wildlife fund.

I didn't mention their latest packaging, it's really rather nice and a departure from usual 'box' efforts of others. Rectangular bamboo box with a slide on cover - all feels excellent quality, solid and well constructed
    Some poor quality pics attached.

And yes gunner, those screws! They're odd, can't think they were a design consideration. Perhaps attaching the saphire dial to the movement has something to do with it. Depends on the light sometimes they're silver, other times they're black.

CW are doing something right in my eyes and that suits me just fine...glad I took the plunge :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jacinabox; 22nd May 2023 at 13:41.

I bought my 1st CW in January, a new LE. It looked great, but I had to return pretty much immediately due to a winding issue (rotor spinning as crown turned), and I was quoted 3-6 months turnaround. Not impressed, even less so given its a warranty repair.

That’s horrendous to be fair. I’d have been asking for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I bought my 1st CW in January, a new LE. It looked great, but I had to return pretty much immediately due to a winding issue (rotor spinning as crown turned), and I was quoted 3-6 months turnaround. Not impressed, even less so given it’s a warranty repair.

I've just discovered Christopher Ward watches!

Here are my small collection built up over the last couple of years. You can’t even buy the cheapest Tudor Ranger for what I paid for the four watches, and quality is up there. Old logo is marmite, I know.

Also, as mentioned above like the fact that Mike France is a real enthusiast who travels to the watch fairs to discuss the watches with prospect buyers. Imagine that from a faceless Omega/Rolex/Tudor marketing bureaucrat.

41mm Super Compressor

41mm Dartmouth Series 1 COSC

40mm Trident Pro 600 GMT

38mm Trident Pro 600

The 41 mms have a short lug to lug so work well with my smaller wrist.

I still have a few, having purchased my first in 2013. The quality has definitely improved over the years.

Whilst I have bought a few other brands in the <£1k price point over the years, CW are now the only brand that I am likely to buy at that price point. A few of those that I have purchased in the past three years are worn as regularly as more expensive brands.

I did drift above the £1k point with the Bel Canto and will do so again.

I've noticed some people are asking £7.5k or thereabouts for unworn Bel Canto on C24!

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I still have a few, having purchased my first in 2013. The quality has definitely improved over the years.

Whilst I have bought a few other brands in the <£1k price point over the years, CW are now the only brand that I am likely to buy at that price point. A few of those that I have purchased in the past three years are worn as regularly as more expensive brands.

I did drift above the £1k point with the Bel Canto and will do so again.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've noticed some people are asking £7.5k or thereabouts for unworn Bel Canto on C24!
    Madness! Although I am aware of a few selling at £5.5k-£6.5k shortly after release.

With mine I did what I do with all of my watches - wear them! I find the whole concept of just buying to flip straightaway at a profit rather sad.

I wonder how many of those that have paid the £1k deposit on the non LE colours have done so purely as an option. Check C24 and eBay pricing at the point they are required to pay the balance…

If in the money pay balance and flip when it arrives. If not, just cancel and obtain refund of deposit.

Lovely, especially the S1 Dartmouth. I think the S2 at £935 on rubber strap is a cracking deal. Very tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Here are my small collection built up over the last couple of years. You can’t even buy the cheapest Tudor Ranger for what I paid for the four watches, and quality is up there. Old logo is marmite, I know.

Also, as mentioned above like the fact that Mike France is a real enthusiast who travels to the watch fairs to discuss the watches with prospect buyers. Imagine that from a faceless Omega/Rolex/Tudor marketing bureaucrat.

41mm Super Compressor

41mm Dartmouth Series 1 COSC

40mm Trident Pro 600 GMT

38mm Trident Pro 600

The 41 mms have a short lug to lug so work well with my smaller wrist.

Master
    I have one of the very early Trident GMTs. You can't call the design anything other than derivative but it's an incredibly reliable lump of a thing, and it's usually the watch of choice for holidays or anything active. Actually gets more wrist time than my vintage GMT Master it so closely resembles. Strange how we bond with certain watches even although we somehow feel we shouldn't, isn't it?

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Lovely, especially the S1 Dartmouth. I think the S2 at £935 on rubber strap is a cracking deal. Very tempted.
    I picked the Series 1 on rubber in the nearly new sale about 18 months ago for £570, so feels an even bigger bargain now.

It was indistinguishable from new when it arrived

Craftsman
    My first ‘proper’ watch was a Christopher Ward C65 (I think) from their sale at the time. I think I paid around £350 back then and it still gets wrist time now.

In hindsight, at 42mm it’s maybe slightly too big but I still like the clean face. I’m also in what feels like the minority and am completely ambivalent towards the logo.

Journeyman
    They make a decent w10 homage but it’s a bit big at 38mm case.
    Version 1 I am speaking of. C65

Craftsman

Post Bel Canto

I've bought CW watches for nearly a decade now, and always thought they were excellent.

But they really made a splash with the Bel Canto. It's my favourite CW.

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    I've bought CW watches for nearly a decade now, and always thought they were excellent.

But they really made a splash with the Bel Canto. It's my favourite CW.

Great picture.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Great picture.

Thanks, that was just a quick iPhone wrist shot though.

The watch actually looks even better in real life.

I've got another one on order, in a different colour.

Incredible watch for the money. CW completely disrupted the under £10k luxury watch segment with this.