closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mercedes in-car tech

Master
    Blog Entries

Mercedes in-car tech

Hi everyone

Bought myself in a private sale a nice 2019/69 E class merc.

The car has loads of tech and I’m trying to get the usb port in front storage area to ‘talk’ to my phone. It’s showing nothing at all - no charge or connection.

I also can’t seem to get the car to recognise that my phone is a device to connect on hard wire. Bluetooth is fine and can get music to play.

The car has COMAND and Apple CarPlay as tech fitted but I’m getting no joy for connection.

Anyone able to help me please?

Jim

Master
    Hi Jim

What type of phone? I had massive issues a while ago when an update in android meant that my existing USB was hopeless.

If you google the "best USB leads for Android auto" you should find some decent options.

It might not be the USB though. My Audi A6 has multiple USBs, only one creates a data / interface connection, the others just charge...... Bloody cars are so complex and packed with tech it's getting ridiculous.

I did find this as well - https://youtu.be/KmXs7d_tCu8

I had an eclass a while back, one issue is that certain features aren't enabled.....

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    These guys are also very good with MB Comand stuff - https://www.commandonline.co.uk/

Worth giving them a call as there are vagaries in the MB world that don’t make sense - for example, I have 2 Aux options in the Comand system, but neither were actually connected to anything!

Good luck.

Master
    Our newish to us MB is 10 years old but even that has way more tech than I need. I'm fully aware that I'm getting old but the priorities of MB are definitely not the same as mine. The problem is to have the bits you do want you get the rest.
    From the stories I've heard I'm dreading the time when I start buying things that have collision avoidance. They just seem to clamp the brakes on for no reason!
    I think I'll stick to about early 2000s tech!
    There has to be a market for well styled (subjective I realise) comfortable, practical and swift cars but without the electronic crap that is usual. Something like a 2022 e class chassis with 2005 e class tech or even less. Frankly give me a manual box or a torque convertor auto, heated seats, a radio with bluetooth and a sunroof and I'm happy. I can turn on my lights and wipers myself and I don't really want constant electronic surveillance thanks.
    Oh but I do want a 500 bhp supercharged engine and it needs to come as an estate option and a softtop and a coupe to cover all bases. But these already exist so there is no more work there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Hi Jim

What type of phone? I had massive issues a while ago when an update in android meant that my existing USB was hopeless.

If you google the "best USB leads for Android auto" you should find some decent options.

It might not be the USB though. My Audi A6 has multiple USBs, only one creates a data / interface connection, the others just charge...... Bloody cars are so complex and packed with tech it's getting ridiculous.

I did find this as well - https://youtu.be/KmXs7d_tCu8

I had an eclass a while back, one issue is that certain features aren't enabled.....

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
    Many thanks for writing. It’s an iPhone 12PM that’s bang up to date with the iOS.

All the best!

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    These guys are also very good with MB Comand stuff - https://www.commandonline.co.uk/

Worth giving them a call as there are vagaries in the MB world that don’t make sense - for example, I have 2 Aux options in the Comand system, but neither were actually connected to anything!

Good luck.
    Thanks for that BB.

I’ll give them a shout

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Our newish to us MB is 10 years old but even that has way more tech than I need. I'm fully aware that I'm getting old but the priorities of MB are definitely not the same as mine. The problem is to have the bits you do want you get the rest.
    From the stories I've heard I'm dreading the time when I start buying things that have collision avoidance. They just seem to clamp the brakes on for no reason!
    There has to be a market for well styled (subjective I realise) comfortable, practical and swift cars but without the electronic crap that is usual. Something like a 2022 e class chassis with 2005 e class tech or even less. Frankly give me a manual box or a torque convertor auto, heated seats, a radio with bluetooth and a sunroof and I'm happy. I can turn on my lights and wipers myself and I don't really want constant electronic surveillance thanks.
    Oh but I do want a 500 bhp supercharged engine and it needs to come as an estate option and a softtop and a coupe to cover all bases. But these already exist so there is no more work there.
    That made me smile David. Thank you.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Worst tec ever Mercedes, get a BMW. My wife had a 19 plate GLC how I hated that car even trawling through the info menu was a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Dacia and a remap bruv.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I had an E Class of the same year and had the same problem. allegedly there was a known issue where a bunch of cars left the factory with the port not wired correctly. Dealer sorted mine (I think they had to swap the cables over).

Hope they can sort it for free for you as it was a known issue (well, wasn't well known originally as the sales guy then one of techs tried all the menu options, different cables and phones then spoke to the lead tech that knew exactly what it was, the car disappeared in the workshop for 30 mins and it was fixed....)

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Firstly make sure you’re using the correct port.
    Secondly use a genuine Apple cable. Lastly read the handbook.

Master
    While we're on the subject, does anyone have any view on the Mercedes ME app? Specifically the Tracker option.

Mercedes in-car tech

Mercedes Me was free for the first three years with our car and was quite useful sometimes, locking and unlocking the car remotely via the app being most useful. We didn’t consider it worth paying for after the three years though.

Mercedes still monitor our vehicle though, I got an email advising me to contact them re brake pad replacement. A few days later, the low brake pad warning started showing on the car.

So whilst we are unable to take advantage of the technology, Big Brother is definitely watching us.

Master
    I have a new Evito van ,

It just won't work with a wired iphone , keeps bombing out every 5 minutes , finish up rather than the hassle of taking it into mercedes I bought a usb to wifi adaptor , now the iphone works fine over wifi to the in-car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BWYLLT...roduct_details

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilma View Post
    I had an E Class of the same year and had the same problem. allegedly there was a known issue where a bunch of cars left the factory with the port not wired correctly. Dealer sorted mine (I think they had to swap the cables over).

Hope they can sort it for free for you as it was a known issue (well, wasn't well known originally as the sales guy then one of techs tried all the menu options, different cables and phones then spoke to the lead tech that knew exactly what it was, the car disappeared in the workshop for 30 mins and it was fixed....)

I believe you’re spot on Neil. Spoke to a lad who works for merc and that’s what he said. Two cables are rigged up wrong way round!!

Which dealer did you take your car to??

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Mercedes Me was free for the first three years with our car and was quite useful sometimes, locking and unlocking the car remotely via the app being most useful. We didn’t consider it worth paying for after the three years though.

Mercedes still monitor our vehicle though, I got an email advising me to contact them re brake pad replacement. A few days later, the low brake pad warning started showing on the car.

So whilst we are unable to take advantage of the technology, Big Brother is definitely watching us.
    Thanks Dave.

Big Bro is indeed watching from so many angles.

Do you still have the motor??

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    I believe you’re spot on Neil. Spoke to a lad who works for merc and that’s what he said. Two cables are rigged up wrong way round!!

Which dealer did you take your car to??

Jim
    Basingstoke..... Hope it works out for you ....

Thanks Dave.

Big Bro is indeed watching from so many angles.

Do you still have the motor??

Jim
    Yes, we’ve had it since November 2018 and 75,000 miles.

Six months ago, I bought a 2009 CLS350 to go along with it. That’s proper old school in comparison.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, we’ve had it since November 2018 and 75,000 miles.

Six months ago, I bought a 2009 CLS350 to go along with it. That’s proper old school in comparison.
    Sounds a nice stable Dave. Hope you get to enjoy them both.

I got the E53 AMG 4matic+ cabriolet MHEV - bloody long title that!

Very nice indeed and different from my Audi S5.

Looking forward to getting the tech gremlins sorted tho!!

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilma View Post
    Basingstoke..... Hope it works out for you ....

Thanks Neil

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I have a new Evito van ,

It just won't work with a wired iphone , keeps bombing out every 5 minutes , finish up rather than the hassle of taking it into mercedes I bought a usb to wifi adaptor , now the iphone works fine over wifi to the in-car.

Thanks Mr D

Unfortunately I need the usb port to actually work and it’s not which is my prob.

I’ll give an update once it’s fixed.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Update

Car has been in to local dealers for 4 days. And I won’t get it back till Wednesday at earliest.

They’re now saying extended warranty won’t cover it and I will need to find £480 for repair. Wiring is allegedly at fault and why the COMAND Unit isn’t functioning as it should.

Long story cut short: have written to Merc UK and Directors of dealership seeking common sense. Service desk can’t seem to see it’s a fault at manufacture level.

Aaaaasggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Jim

Not saying you should pay if it's covered but £480 sounds pretty cheap for that at a mb dealer

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Firstly read the handbook. Secondly use a genuine Apple cable. Lastly make sure you’re using the correct port.
    FTFY

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    While we're on the subject, does anyone have any view on the Mercedes ME app? Specifically the Tracker option.
    You have to pay for the full monitored tracker option (i think it was £300 for 3 years) my insurance wouldn't accept the 'standard' tracker option as sufficient.
    I do like the fact you can check you've locked the car/shut windows etc and do so if you haven't, and the only other part I use is sending trip details to the car satnav from the phone.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    You have to pay for the full monitored tracker option (i think it was £300 for 3 years) my insurance wouldn't accept the 'standard' tracker option as sufficient.
    I do like the fact you can check you've locked the car/shut windows etc and do so if you haven't, and the only other part I use is sending trip details to the car satnav from the phone.

Steve
    Thanks for that, could be worth buying the app then although I noticed today after I left the car there was a notification on my iphone asking if I wanted to lock it although I already had! Have to investigate further lol.

Master
    Agree with above. I have bought the app function which allows tracking and theft detection. And tells you in case there is a shunt whilst parked. It was cheap enough for this option.
    The full package is a lot more and I didn’t feel I would use most of the stuff.

The subscription I bought is called ‘Remote Package’ which I think was around £75 per annum. Very happy with it. Not quite Tesla levels of functionality but definitely does the job.

But did the car tell MB it needed brake pads, or did MB tell the car to put the warning light on?

[/TINFOIL HAT]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Agree with above. I have bought the app function which allows tracking and theft detection. And tells you in case there is a shunt whilst parked. It was cheap enough for this option.
    The full package is a lot more and I didn’t feel I would use most of the stuff.

The subscription I bought is called ‘Remote Package’ which I think was around £75 per annum. Very happy with it. Not quite Tesla levels of functionality but definitely does the job.
    I have the remote and navigation packages on mine, and I occasionally use some of the bits. The most used is the remote locking as if I have something a colleague needs collecting I just leave it in my car and unlock it when they are next to it then lock it up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    So I have had a major fall out with the dealer local to me.

EVERYONE else with same issue and who visited their dealers have had this issue addressed as a known fault at manufacture in these cars from MY 2019. But not my local dealer on west side of Edinburgh. They won’t even bother to research the matter with MB UK or the dealers in the network or research when they’ve done these repairs previously FOC.

You couldn’t make it up!

I got the, “sorry you feel that way sir” and “you can take it up with MB yourself, but we won’t help you because we can’t speak to them!”

Shocking level of support for a known manufacturer fault. Calling MB is hopeless, they don’t answer the phone!

Grumpy Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks WL

Is she a good contact to write to??

Jim

Thanks WL

Jim
    She's CEO of "MB Retail Group UK".

Thanks WL

Jim
    Worth a try but I’d not hold my breath.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Worth a try but I’d not hold my breath.
    Thank you. She has my email!!!

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I have a new Evito van ,

I have the same issue. I was going to order carlinkit which looks the big brand. But based on your feedback, will give this a try. Will arrive tomorrow and look forward to testing it out! Thanks.

(I think the bombing out is probably a cable issue, I had this before and when buying a new cable it works again, frustrating! Wireless is easier in any case, saving the faff of plugging in each time you enter the car)