closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Secursus insurance

Master
    Blog Entries

Secursus insurance

Sent a watch to the Netherlands with Secursus insurance,it’s been showing as held in customs for over a week.Any one know if this is normal practice ,should I contact the insurers .

Master
    Check the Secursus FAQ? I think they have an explanation of what to do in which circumstance.

You don't mention the service you used to post it - was it Royal Mail or a courier service?

Mail from the UK to an address in any other country does need to go through customs on arrival, and this can take some time. Couriers (eg. Fedex) employ their own customs staff, so clearance tends to be quick, but if it's been sent with Royal Mail it's not unusual for it to take a week or longer, so the fact it's been showing as in customs for a week wouldn't raise any red flags for me.

Presumably Secursus insures the watch against being lost in transit, and there is no cover for delay (?), so at this stage I wouldn't think there is any reason to contact them. They won't be able to do anything anyway - if it's with customs in the Netherlands you just have to give it time.

If it was sent with Royal Mail, they consider an item lost only if it's undelivered after a set period of time. For European destinations that period is 20 working days, so with all the bank holidays in May that means just over 4 weeks from the day after posting.

Secursus' insurance is for 14 days maximum and it's the insured's responsibility to choose a courier who will deliver within that period.

And Secursus do not cover private individuals' consignments sold via an online marketplace unless by their written agreement.
    Last edited by sundial; 19th May 2023 at 15:52.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s going to the suppling dealer for repair under warranty .Sent via Royal Mail international signed and tracked.Posted from the Uk 9/5/23.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    It’s going to the suppling dealer for repair under warranty .Sent via Royal Mail international signed and tracked.Posted from the Uk 9/5/23.
    The insurance would expire on 23 May. Consignment not lost as it's delayed pending customs clearance. Little that anyone can do to speed up customs clearance. It'll likely be delivered eventually.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    The insurance would expire on 23 May. Consignment not lost as it's delayed pending customs clearance. Little that anyone can do to speed up customs clearance. It'll likely be delivered eventually.
    Thanks,I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Still in customs,starting to feel a little uneasy as insurance has lapsed.

Master
    Why wouldn’t it be covered. If the item doesn’t ever arrive surely that’s the entire point if insurance?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Why wouldn’t it be covered. If the item doesn’t ever arrive surely that’s the entire point if insurance?
    Insurance is for fourteen days I’m told .

Master
    Insurance is for fourteen days I’m told .
    I get that, but surely, any time period is irrelevant if it doesn’t turn up. Every item that doesn’t turn up will be over the 14 period as it never turns up. Or maybe I’m missing something?

I suppose, if an empty box turns up after 14 days that could be an issue.

I get that, but surely, any time period is irrelevant if it doesn’t turn up. Every item that doesn’t turn up will be over the 14 period as it never turns up. Or maybe I’m missing something?

I suppose, if an empty box turns up after 14 days that could be an issue.
    Presumably the claim has to be within the 14 days.

Exactly. Make a claim but tell them what is going on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Into the forth week in customs ,starting to get concerned .

Master
    How did you buy your postage - at the PO or online? The reason I ask is that when you buy from the PO, they never ask what it is youre shipping and why. If you buy online, it asks what you are shipping and you can list it as a warranty return which help with foreign customs in determining whether duties are applicable. For what its worth, I've had stuff sat in customs for weeks on end but all came good in the end. I hope it works out for you too.

Oh, and just to add, post-Brexit, Irish and Dutch customs were particularly stringent over postal items from the UK.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    How did you buy your postage - at the PO or online? The reason I ask is that when you buy from the PO, they never ask what it is youre shipping and why. If you buy online, it asks what you are shipping and you can list it as a warranty return which help with foreign customs in determining whether duties are applicable. For what its worth, I've had stuff sat in customs for weeks on end but all came good in the end. I hope it works out for you too.

Oh, and just to add, post-Brexit, Irish and Dutch customs were particularly stringent over postal items from the UK.
    Bought at post office,was asked the about the contents.Mechincal device ,warranty return for repair.Dealer it’s being sent to has not heard from the custom dept.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve come to the conclusion I won’t be seeing this again.It’s an Ace/ Nomos club 703,#42/100.

Master
    Are you going to put a claim in?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does this mean we're finally going to find out what Secursus claims/customer service is like?

Blog Entries
    Are you going to put a claim in?
    mid be interested to know the outcome
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve claimed £50.00 from the post office,Secursus is only for fourteen days so no point in going there.

Why on Earth didn't you claim before the 14 days?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Because it’s still showing as held in Dutch customs.

Blog Entries
    I’ve claimed £50.00 from the post office,Secursus is only for fourteen days so no point in going there.
    Why not contact Secursus? Explain the situation. You paid for insurance with them. Item appears AWOL - lost - seems like a valid claim. Check T&C - they should assist you to make a claim. https://www.secursus.com/en-us/terms-and-conditions/#

i assume you completed all the paperwork for the package? CN22 /CN23? This article may be useful -
    https://www.shipbob.com/blog/package-stuck-in-customs/no
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd June 2023 at 10:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Why not contact Secursus? Explain the situation. You paid for insurance with them. Item appears AWOL - lost - seems like a valid claim. Check T&C - they should assist you to make a claim. https://www.secursus.com/en-us/terms-and-conditions/#

i assume you completed all the paperwork for the package? CN22 /CN23? This article may be useful -
    https://www.shipbob.com/blog/package-stuck-in-customs/no
    Yes all paperwork completed by me,I’ve contacted Secursus will update when I get an answer.

Blog Entries
    Yes all paperwork completed by me,I’ve contacted Secursus will update when I get an answer.
    I wish you luck and hope it works out in your favour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I wish you luck and hope it works out in your favour.
    Thank you ,I’m not holding much hope tho.

Master
    Thank you ,I’m not holding much hope tho.
    I still don’t get it. Watch was posted and didn’t arrive, that’s it. That’s the point of insurance. The 14 day thing is red herring, who know when it was actually lost/stolen etc

I still don’t get it. Watch was posted and didn’t arrive, that’s it. That’s the point of insurance. The 14 day thing is red herring, who know when it was actually lost/stolen etc
    Secursus' terms state "14 days" but if an insured has proof of arrival at, e.g., Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst), within the 14 days period, then they can reasonably assume Belastingdienst has lost the package if not subsequently forwarded for delivery "within a reasonable period of time" – unless Belastingdienst has tracking details proving otherwise ... or has delayed clearance due to incomplete / incorrect documentation. How Secursus' claims assessors view the transit remains to be seen. They'd likely need to know how long Belastingdienst usually takes to clear consignments – especially those not incurring duty / VAT because they're shipped as 'repairs'. And Secursus would likely also require proof of insured's item's packing , i.e., photos of item being packed (as per their terms and conditions) and a copy of the CN 22 or CN 23 form. If insured completes the CN22 or CN23 form correctly , i.e., as a 'WARRANTY REPAIR', there should not be a problem passing through customs – but the CN22 / CN 23 also authorises customs to open package and examine. Customs clearance can take a long time.

Did you download and complete the correct CN22 or CN23 form correctly yourself? Or did you rely on the PO to do this? Do you have a copy of the CN 22 or CN 23 form ? Secursus will need to see same.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/cu...N23-form-guide. Note mandatory fields

Very important to declare the correct HTS or HS code. Ideally, the form should be enclosed in a standard self adhesive document wallet and attached to the package. Document wallet enables easy access to the form by customs. Copy of the form should also be included inside the package. Incorrect HS / HTS code could delay clearance. Correct HS code can be determined via https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff. And on CN 23 form in CATEGORY tick OTHER section, and in COMMENTS section clearly enter your "Mechanical device ,warranty return for repair" declaration . Best to do this yourself rather than rely on Post Office. Full value of item should be declared even if PO insurance does not cover the value.

Sender's name & address / contact details should also be clearly annotated on the package

Customs delays are often due to incorrect / incomplete CN 23 declarations.

... shipping docs self adhesive polythene envelope available from stationers. Don't rely on too small self adhesive Post Office forms filled in by PO staff.. Take time to fill in properly at home before taking package to PO.
    Last edited by sundial; 23rd June 2023 at 14:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Secursus' terms state "14 days" but if an insured has proof of arrival at, e.g., Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst), within the 14 days period, then they can reasonably assume Belastingdienst has lost the package if not subsequently forwarded for delivery "within a reasonable period of time" – unless Belastingdienst has tracking details proving otherwise ... or has delayed clearance due to incomplete / incorrect documentation. How Secursus' claims assessors view the transit remains to be seen. They'd likely need to know how long Belastingdienst usually takes to clear consignments – especially those not incurring duty / VAT because they're shipped as 'repairs'. And Secursus would likely also require proof of insured's item's packing , i.e., photos of item being packed (as per their terms and conditions) and a copy of the CN 22 or CN 23 form. If insured completes the CN22 or CN23 form correctly , i.e., as a 'WARRANTY REPAIR', there should not be a problem passing through customs – but the CN22 / CN 23 also authorises customs to open package and examine. Customs clearance can take a long time.

Did you download and complete the correct CN22 or CN23 form correctly yourself? Or did you rely on the PO to do this? Do you have a copy of the CN 22 or CN 23 form ? Secursus will need to see same.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/cu...N23-form-guide. Note mandatory fields

Very important to declare the correct HTS or HS code. Ideally, the form should be enclosed in a standard self adhesive document wallet and attached to the package. Document wallet enables easy access to the form by customs. Copy of the form should also be included inside the package. Incorrect HS / HTS code could delay clearance. Correct HS code can be determined via https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff. And on CN 23 form in CATEGORY tick OTHER section, and in COMMENTS section clearly enter your "Mechanical device ,warranty return for repair" declaration . Best to do this yourself rather than rely on Post Office. Full value of item should be declared even if PO insurance does not cover the value.

Sender's name & address / contact details should also be clearly annotated on the package

Customs delays are often due to incorrect / incomplete CN 23 declarations.
    I posted this at our local post office,they gave me a customs form to fill out,I don’t have a copy.I made Secursus aware of the current situation they said to submit a claim form,so we will see.

Master
    It will be of interest to me and I expect a great number of members, how Secursus handle this

I use them fairly regularly for work, as they’re cheaper for insurance than DHL

OP please keep us updated and best of luck

I posted this at our local post office,they gave me a customs form to fill out,I don’t have a copy.I made Secursus aware of the current situation they said to submit a claim form,so we will see.
    PO staff are not necessarily 'up to speed' with forms filling and shipping regulations especially when Post Offices employ temporary and inexperienced staff. They're so often hopeless when checking e.g. passport applications . I've had a number of disagreements with 'jobsworth' PO staff – especially when sending very large consignments which they purported to be 'TOO LARGE !! TOO LARGE !!" without measuring / weighing the consignment . Some of PO's silly staff assume too much and fail to apologise for their errors.

Secursus will very likely a copy of the CN 23 or CN 22 form and proof of posting

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    It will be of interest to me and I expect a great number of members, how Secursus handle this

I use them fairly regularly for work, as they’re cheaper for insurance than DHL

OP please keep us updated and best of luck
    Their terms and conditions have changed during recent months for private individuals; see #72 & #73 https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...light=Secursus.

My previous enquiry with Secursus was for insurance of my private sales – not for warranty returns. Secursus' t&c require proof of packing (e.g. dated photographs of insured items being packed) and copies of relevant documentation.

For any Secursus insurance application (which is at first sight is rather too easy via their online payment facility) it's best to think "BELT AND BRACES" and obtain & retain all necessary copies of all shipping docs – for potential submission to Secursus in event of a claim.

For sales transit insurances, in the event of a claim, Secursus will require signed sales / proof of payment documentations – signed and dated by the buyer and seller prior to shipment

Failure to conform with Secursus' t&c risks potential claims being disallowed because insurance cover deemed 'null and void'.
    Last edited by sundial; 23rd June 2023 at 21:33.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Claim submitted,we will see in due course no doubt.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I checked the tracking # this morning looks like it’s finally been released from Dutch customs.

Great news!! :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great news!! :)
    Indeed it is,just wait to see if it completes its journey to Ace jewellers.

Secursus' insurance not prudent for any consignment likely to exceed 14 days transit time , i.e., anything subject to EU customs clearance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Secursus' insurance not prudent for any consignment likely to exceed 14 days transit time , i.e., anything subject to EU customs clearance.
    Yes indeed,I will not be sending watches off this chunk of rock in future.

Blog Entries
    Does anybody know of a similar company offering longer insurance times (i.e. beyond 14 days) ? Has e.g. ParcelPro also a 14 days limit?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The misery continues,tracking shows it’s been delivered buy Ace won’t reply to me asking if the have the watch.

Hi

Hopefully this is now going to work out for the OP.....

Personally I don't think you can beat FEDEX Priority plus 3rd party insurance....door to door 3-5x days anywhere worldwide including customs clearance - well worth the extra £'s.

Best Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Presumably the claim has to be within the 14 days.
    No. Cover is for a loss occurring within the 14 days insurance period. Claims are expected to be submitted within 3 days of scheduled delivery date. So, if delivery date was on the last day of insurance cover, a claim could be submitted of day 17.

10.3. In case of an Incident, the customer must inform Secursus without delay, and in any case within no more than 3 days from the originally scheduled delivery date, doing so by opening a claim directly from the Secursus dashboard.
    Last edited by sundial; 29th June 2023 at 16:30. Reason: additional info.

Secursus insurance

No. Cover is for a loss occurring within the 14 days insurance period. Claims are expected to be submitted within 3 days of scheduled delivery date. So, if delivery date was on the last day of insurance cover, a claim could be submitted of day 17.

10.3. In case of an Incident, the customer must inform Secursus without delay, and in any case within no more than 3 days from the originally scheduled delivery date, doing so by opening a claim directly from the Secursus dashboard.
    Is there usually a scheduled delivery date? Can’t see the OP in this case really having one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Phew,it finally made it to the dealer.

Wot a relief !! Well done and Good Luck .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wot a relief !! Well done and Good Luck .
    Thank you.

Secursus reviews including claims https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.secursus.com

Many insureds do not fully understand insurance co.'s terms and conditions, &/or, do not fully read same properly. When they (the insureds) are refused a claim, because they failed to conform with documented t&c, they moan and post abusive comments.
    I worked in the insurance industry for 8 years so aware of insureds' moans and groans when claims are disallowed.