closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car storage; 'Carcoon' or ...

Blog Entries

Car storage; 'Carcoon' or ...

The rising prices of working on classic cars has fired an interest about car preservation. In the workshop, we get regular questions about car storage, like Carcoon https://www.carcoon.com or Air Chamber https://airflow-uk.com/product/car-airchamber

I understand the interest in these products: the purchase price of one of these is lower than any rust removal and respray job in a workshop! But I have no experience with these items and I know nothing about the way they function.

For instance: both (Carcoon and Air Chamber) draw air in from the outside of the membrane (I don't have another word for it). That is not dry air, I suppose. Or as a friend put it:

'
    The idea that higher air volume and more rapid changes inside the chamber eliminates moisture and humidity issues doesn't exactly make sense to me. If it's super humid outside, why won't it be super humid inside? There's no dryer or dessicant involved. Wny not simply install a fan in our garages to prevent condensation?'

Does any of you have experience storing a car in a Carcoon or Air Chamber? And is there more to know about it that I didn't think of?

M.

Master
    I stored my '68 Lotus 7 then my '73 911 RS (clone) in a carcoon. It's presently housing My Mk1 Mini - no corrosion issues .

It has two added benefits:-

(1) it affords a degree of protection to the vehicle stored - less chance of accidental dings or scratches in a cramped garage and

(2) It keeps out the mice ( I live in the country)

( When the mice ate my ski boots I was annoyed , when they ate my crash helmet I was really cross , but when they ate my Ferrari I was apoplectic )

I've had both, and they do the same thing. I currently use a Carcoon for my 930.

You are correct, the air is the same as in the environment and the filters on the fans are a bit of a gimmick as they are carbon and don't trap moisture, they trap dust, etc. However, Carcoon works as it prevents condensation by purely moving pressurised air over the whole vehicle, which escapes via the zip all around at the bottom. It literally just mimics leaving your car in the wind and beating the dew point/condensation. Over the many years of using them, I've always been very happy that even in the dead of winter when everything else is damp, the cars are bone dry top to bottom.

I used to use a Carcoon and an Air Chamber in the past. FWIW, I always used to find putting the car into the Carcoon bit of a faff. (Driving onto the mat then having to put the top section over the car then inflate it).

The Air Chamber was always much easier and more convenient due to the frame.

I use a Carcoon Bike bubble for one of my bikes and have had it for years.

The theory behind them is that they slowly draw air in which escapes through the zip. The slow turnover of sir acts as an insulator against rapid changes in temperature which causes condensation. It allows the area and bl tents inside the bubble, to change temperature much more slowly this elimination condensation on the metal which leads to corrosion.

It goes seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I used to use a Carcoon and an Air Chamber in the past. FWIW, I always used to find putting the car into the Carcoon bit of a faff. (Driving onto the mat then having to put the top section over the car then inflate it).

The Air Chamber was always much easier and more convenient due to the frame.
    The Carcoon Veloce has a frame, making it much easier to use. Drive in and zip up the sides. Comes with integrated battery conditioner, which if there’s a power cut will run the Carcoon fans off the car battery.

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post

(2) It keeps out the mice ( I live in the country)

( When the mice ate my ski boots I was annoyed , when they ate my crash helmet I was really cross , but when they ate my Ferrari I was apoplectic )
    This is a big benefit! I've usually got a restoration car project on the go and they're a magnet for mice, given that there's a seemingly limitless supply of material that makes for perfect nesting inside the vehicle.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    The Carcoon Veloce has a frame, making it much easier to use. Drive in and zip up the sides. Comes with integrated battery conditioner, which if there’s a power cut will run the Carcoon fans off the car battery.

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr
    More photos of what is inside that carcoon please, it looks rather special to say the least!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I went out to see a Cartoon Veloce yesterday. The guy wanted 450 euros for it, but when I got there, I found a deflated heap of plastic and a sort of tent poles. Nicely folded, I'll give him that I guess that it's best to see them 'in use' or at least inflated. So I politely stepped out of that deal.

The search goes on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    More photos of what is inside that carcoon please, it looks rather special to say the least!

I think it's a 1966 (or thereabouts) Ford Mustang GT .. I had a Dinky one in exactly the same colour!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I think it's a 1966 (or thereabouts) Ford Mustang GT .. I had a Dinky one in exactly the same colour!
    Pretty close, it’s a 1965 Fastback Mustang. I don’t want to derail the thread but may be putting it on sales corner soon, along with my Defender.