closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car Detail and Ceramic Coating

Grand Master
    Car polishing as a hobby?.......no thanks! Pointless waste of time in my opinion, can’t understand what people are trying to achieve. As soon as you drive it the car gets dirty again, just give it a quick wash and get on with something worthwhile!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Car polishing as a hobby?.......no thanks! Pointless waste of time in my opinion, can’t understand what people are trying to achieve. As soon as you drive it the car gets dirty again, just give it a quick wash and get on with something worthwhile!
    For someone without interest in car detailing why post so much in this thread if you have something more worthwhile to get on with? I think everyone has understood it the first time.

Nice day so I took my old 911 to the gym. Lots of space around lunchtime, so parked it in a safe spot. About an hour into it I took my headphones off to hear a leaf blower and see this muppet blasting dust off a car on the other side of the carpark he has managed to get covered in dust and sand he has kicked up. Apparently it's what the gardeners hired by the gym's landlord consider upkeep. I rushed out to move my car, but he had already done that part and it was completely, and I mean from the roof to the wheels covered in dust, fine sand and most worryingly black brake dust. Because he was blowing it with lots of force it was in all of the panel gaps, under the bonnet, under the fuel cap, etc. I was furious. He was quite worried that I was angry, but didn't seem to understand at all what was so bad about blowing all that crap all over about 20 cars, all of which were covered, some even worse than mine, while the carpark looked no cleaner. He also didn't understand why I didn't allow him to blow it off with his blower. I spoke to the company owner who understood how bad this could be if there was damage. Long story short, I spent three hours cleaning the car in stages to make sure I don't end up dragging sand around, and to blow it out of all the crevices, and luckily there was no damage (to my car at least), but I was also very grateful that I have ceramic coating to protect from that brake dust and other caustic grime.

Grand Master
    Sorry buddy, just read this and pissed myself laughing. I think you take yourself and your cars way too seriously. Just hose the bloody thing down and stop fretting.

Sorry buddy, just read this and pissed myself laughing. I think you take yourself and your cars way too seriously. Just hose the bloody thing down and stop fretting.
    Yet again posting about something you have no interest in while you have better things to get on with. Why are you so intent of being so unlikeable? I've seen your other posts and all you do is project a really caustic, unpleasant image. Why? I have a hobby I care about, just as most people on this very forum dedicated to a hobby, but you are like some kind of joy police pretending you have it all figured out. If you're so happy in your own existence why constantly post in threads you're proclaiming you have no interest in? Or is that the whole point and you just get joy from raining on other people's parades? Either way, it doesn't really matter to anyone but yourself, and if you're happy being miserable and unlikeable, who am I to stop you.

Grand Master
    You don’t seem very likeable yourself in my opinion. You’ve posted chapter and verse about your car getting dirty, in the grand scheme of things it’s trivial, just wash the car the get over it.

I left my MG parked under some trees and it got covered in birdshit, I wasn’t happy but it was easily sorted, family had a laugh about when I got home and moaned about it.

Spent this afternoon replacing a faulty brake light switch that I replaced a couple of years ago, parts quality for old cars is poor, it’s frustrating but that’s life, no one makes me own it. Fortunately I can do all my own maintenance which helps a lot, maybe you should try learning instead of obsessing over cleaning the thing.

Step back and don’t take your cars or yourself too seriously, if getting the car dirty causes you so much stress perhaps you should get rid of it.

You don’t seem very likeable yourself in my opinion. You’ve posted chapter and verse about your car getting dirty, in the grand scheme of things it’s trivial, just wash the car the get over it.

I left my MG parked under some trees and it got covered in birdshit, I wasn’t happy but it was easily sorted, family had a laugh about when I got home and moaned about it.

Spent this afternoon replacing a faulty brake light switch that I replaced a couple of years ago, parts quality for old cars is poor, it’s frustrating but that’s life, no one makes me own it. Fortunately I can do all my own maintenance which helps a lot, maybe you should try learning instead of obsessing over cleaning the thing.

Step back and don’t take your cars or yourself too seriously, if getting the car dirty causes you so much stress perhaps you should get rid of it.
    You literally just posted a longer chapter than mine... Why are you so concerned with how much I or other people care about our cars? It's a really baffling attitude. It's completely inconsequential to you, yet you choose to advise me and others about what you think we should and shouldn't care about. Whether you think I am likeable or not is of very little importance to me, but I am not the one constantly posting in a thread to remind people how silly I think they are for caring about something I don't. But I also see you don't like to be challenged either as you only like speaking, not listening.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    You literally just posted a longer chapter than mine... Why are you so concerned with how much I or other people care about our cars? It's a really baffling attitude. It's completely inconsequential to you, yet you choose to advise me and others about what you think we should and shouldn't care about. Whether you think I am likeable or not is of very little importance to me, but I am not the one constantly posting in a thread to remind people how silly I think they are for caring about something I don't. But I also see you don't like to be challenged either as you only like speaking, not listening.
    I think he’s on some sort of wind up, for most people their cars are the second largest item they will buy, of course they are going to look after them the best way they can, now if it’s a lease car that’s a different story
    Last edited by adrianw; 24th May 2023 at 22:28.

Walkerwek just doesn’t understand the concept of people liking/being passionate about things different to his own tastes. And he’ll make damn sure everyone knows about it. Just take him with a pinch of salty.

(“tiny brain” insult coming in 3, 2, 1…)

Grand Master
    Sure, I look after my cars, from the age of 17 (in 1975) I`ve always bought my own cars with my own money so I`ve always looked after them. However, this ceramic coating/detailing business is taking it to extreme levels, taking a pride in the car and keeping it looking reasonably smart makes sense but making a hobby of it is extreme behaviour verging on OCD.

This guy got dirt on his car and it's spoiled his day big-style, that's what I found so amusing. I could understand his reaction if the car had been bumped, but surely getting muck on the car isn't such a big deal? Anyway, I thought this ceramic coating stuff was supposed to safeguard the paint in some way!

Now here's a better reason to be pissed off: brake light switch on my MG lasted 2 years because its a piece of Chinese crap, I either modify the car or fit another identical piece of Chines crap. I took the latter course of action as path of least resistance (its summer, I prefer to drive it than work on it or clean it), fitted the new one this afternoon, checked it tonight and find it's got a slight brake fluid leak where the tapered thread of the switch goes into a brass union. I`ve tightened as far as I dare but its still got a slight weep. This isn`t acceptable especially on a single circuit braking system so an answer has to be found.

I`d be far happier if I`d got a liberal dose of muck on the car that could be cleaned off quickly, a minor annoyance with a simple answer!

Thought this was a thread about car polishing, not letting everyone know you’re 5 pints of battery acid deep on Wednesday.

Sure, I look after my cars, from the age of 17 (in 1975) I`ve always bought my own cars with my own money so I`ve always looked after them. However, this ceramic coating/detailing business is taking it to extreme levels, taking a pride in the car and keeping it looking reasonably smart makes sense but making a hobby of it is extreme behaviour verging on OCD.

This guy got dirt on his car and it's spoiled his day big-style, that's what I found so amusing. I could understand his reaction if the car had been bumped, but surely getting muck on the car isn't such a big deal? Anyway, I thought this ceramic coating stuff was supposed to safeguard the paint in some way!

Now here's a better reason to be pissed off: brake light switch on my MG lasted 2 years because its a piece of Chinese crap, I either modify the car or fit another identical piece of Chines crap. I took the latter course of action as path of least resistance (its summer, I prefer to drive it than work on it or clean it), fitted the new one this afternoon, checked it tonight and find it's got a slight brake fluid leak where the tapered thread of the switch goes into a brass union. I`ve tightened as far as I dare but its still got a slight weep. This isn`t acceptable especially on a single circuit braking system so an answer has to be found.

I`d be far happier if I`d got a liberal dose of muck on the car that could be cleaned off quickly, a minor annoyance with a simple answer!
    You drive a Chinese MG? It explains your position regarding cars.

...and your car over time will look like these:

According to the blog at fantasticservices.com, a protective coat of wax or ceramic will help prevent paint oxidation:

Ceramic coating paint protection
    works by applying a ceramic coating or liquid polymer to the exterior surface of your vehicle – it chemically bonds to the paint, creating a layer of protection that’s water-resistant. This water resistance makes it harder for impurities and contaminants to cling and react to your car’s paint. Not only will this help reduce the risk of oxidation from UV exposure, but it’ll also help keep the car cleaner for longer and make it easier to clean when it comes to car washing day.

Last edited by pacifichrono; 25th May 2023 at 02:44.

Yeah, he does seem to like the sound of his own words.

If you had read my post, as you claim you have, then you would see that I wasn't upset about the car being dirty, but about sand and grit being blown into it with an industrial leaf blower. Not only on the paintwork but into every shutline and hole on the car. You're either deliberately or accidentally obtuse and create your own conclusions to belittle other people's interests. It's neither pleasant nor clever.

I have been a serial classic car owner pretty much all of my adult life. I rebuilt and restored a Lotus Elan from the ground up, from the suspension to retrimming, I own three classic cars at the moment, all of which I know quite intimately, mechanically and cosmetically. You and I would in theory have a lot to talk about. You even live close by. But you are unpleasant and small minded, which is a really sad way to be.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    You drive a Chinese MG? It explains your position regarding cars.
    The f***ing brake light switch is Chinese crap, the car was built in Abingdon in 1970!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th May 2023 at 22:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Paul I had the Ceramic coating done to the X3 for one simple reason it’s a big car to keep clean all I do is snow foam it,leave it 10 minutes rinse off, and car looks great and all with little effort. I had my first yearly maintenance carried out yesterday to bring the coating back. At £60 which included a light clean inside, good value I think

The f***ing brake light switch is Chinese crap, the car was built in Abingdon in 1970!
    Even worse then, you should have bought a quality swatch, webasto still make switches in the UK

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Even worse then, you should have bought a quality swatch, webasto still make switches in the UK
    You find me one and I’ll buy it. Only way to extend the life of these is to fit a relay and minimise the current being carried. The switch arcs and burns the contacts, originals lasted many years but the stuff being sold now doesn’t .

I don’t care if my car has a layer of dust and dirt but I do care about the bloody brake lights working properly!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well well, I go away for a few days and look what’s happened… this is why I tend not give much advice tbh because you either ‘get it or you don’t’. Next thing to happen will be forums dedicated to timekeeping when everyone knows their mobile phone is actually better for accuracy…. It’s a beautiful day off for me so please excuse me if I come back later with a rant after opening some shandy beers - i was addicted to ‘detailing’ a lifetime ago ��

Craftsman
    Had my M4 done when i bought it 18 months back, such a doddle to clean, most of the time doesnt even need a shampoo just powerwash it off

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sWs7sLJXmcU

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Had my M4 done when i bought it 18 months back, such a doddle to clean, most of the time doesnt even need a shampoo just powerwash it off

That’s what it is all about ease of clean and looks good

Master
    You find me one and I’ll buy it. Only way to extend the life of these is to fit a relay and minimise the current being carried. The switch arcs and burns the contacts, originals lasted many years but the stuff being sold now doesn’t .

I don’t care if my car has a layer of dust and dirt but I do care about the bloody brake lights working properly!
    Why don’t you fit a relay then if it’s a known issue and a known way to cure it? Seems daft to spend the time waiting for it to fail from cheap replacement parts.

Craftsman

Car Detail and Ceramic Coating

Deleted - posted in error

Craftsman

That looks amazing!

Please could you share where it was done, who by, how long it took, and roughly how much?

Thanks

Master

The best bit is then if you then throw a bucket of water over it the car ends up almost dry when it sheets off. Or rinse with a hose without any fitting on the end