closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC - my exit watches?

Master

SOTC - my exit watches?

I've been a WIS for most of my life, intially inspired by the Omega and Rolex ads in National Geographic. As a teenager I progressed through basic Casio, then the G-Shock when it came out and the Swatch, a Seiko Automatic and when I started my first (maybe second) full time job at 19 I got an Omega De Ville. The journey grew from there, in volume terms probably peaking with this lot below - the 'serious' watches and the Casios:

I subsequently managed to reduce the 'collection' to just 2 Rolexes and a G-Shock - In part as I got a lower paid job and had other things to do with the cash. Alas, as my income grew again the collection grew to the following:

Over the next few years the Rolexes got dumped as I became infected by the Panerai virus... I really got bitten by the bug and bought and sold very many PAMs and the strap collection headed towards 100 or so - a combo of OEM and bespoke. I think at one point I had around 10 PAMs, including my grail the Equation of Time (PAM670) and some other beauties - both 44mm and 47mm. Cashflow allowed some other watches over the past few years including another (almost) grail of a titanium Fifty Fathoms on bracelet - which partnered up beautifully with the 670

Last year I took the decision to leave work - See post here - and part of that process has obviously led to changed priorities. The 670 and Fifty Fathoms clearly were not a priority when one looks at how many months you can live off the proceeds.

The result is that I've now sold every fancy watch. I can't even see any value in a watch for a few thousand. It just seems pointless when the funds could be used to pay the bills - be they discretionary ones or day to day living.

I think some years back there was a thread about the final watch, the only watch you'll ever need. I think my comment at the time was that once I was no longer working I would either not even bother wearing a watch (unlikely though as I do still like to have a timepiece) but that if I did then at that stage of life frankly all that one would ever need was a GW5600...

Interestingly this is pretty much where I've ended. Clearly as a reformed/semi-retired WIS one watch isn't on the cards just yet - but I'm almost there.

I present to you my latest SOTC (which may or may not be final - maybe the Smart watch will be upgraded in time):

The 'one and only' - This would be my Desert Island watch - Casio GW-5600.

A Casio GA-2100 - Whilst the 5600 is the one and only, my eyes find this one easier to read, and it's more adaptable for 'casual' use with it's monotone colour scheme. This was a gift from the other half, so should be a keeper.

A Seiko Arnie Re-Issue. Another gift from the other half, a combo of solar and robust, if I want something a bit more macho than the G-Shock's this fits the brief.

And finally my day to day wearer right now is a recently acquired Garmin Fenix 6 solar. Some interesting features and (don't shoot me!) I'm actually enjoying it - Check the weather, see messages, check my sleep patterns, blood ox, body battery - and if needed full blown mapping/tracking.

And a group shot.

I find it really interesting how easily I've converted to not really caring about a fancy time piece. Upsides include lower insurance premiums, no servicing, not having to worry when travelling plus they reflect my new status in life - chillaxing :) It's also interesting to note that my teenage self had Casio/Seiko watches.

Full disclosure - I do have a BNIB Casio GW-5610 in a drawer as a back up, just in case. I don't see the value in selling it, and WIS behaviour never really dies, it just wanes ;)
    Last edited by ASW1; 15th May 2023 at 21:40.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I remember that first table shot!
    Must be lovely to achieve zen and even lovelier to be able to stop working.. Ive still got 20+ years to go.
    The EOT will always be my favourite of your watches, glorious thing and the only one Ive seen on TZ I think.
    PS - if youve got any residual 26mm straps to get shot of please give me a shout as im no longer pam buying but straps are a different matter entirely.

Master
    Hi C. I'm working on the Zen. Cheers.

PS the straps, I had you in mind this morning as I spread these remaining ones on the table. I'm working out what to do with them and will drop you details if/when I do take action :)

A shame to sell that Panerai (gorgeous), but I think we all know, deep down, that you've made the right call.

I think you could trim that collection to three - I'd probably leave out the GA-2100.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Crikey, we're gonna need a bigger boat.

Master
    Unless someone has fallen into severe financial trouble, I for one think its a shame to see such an extreme cull. Personally, I dont understand G Shocks so that maybe makes it seem worse than it really is.

I think as long as you are happy, that is the main thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I've been a WIS for most of my life, intially inspired by the Omega and Rolex ads in National Geographic. As a teenager I progressed through basic Casio, then the G-Shock when it came out and the Swatch, a Seiko Automatic and when I started my first (maybe second) full time job at 19 I got an Omega De Ville. The journey grew from there, in volume terms probably peaking with this lot below - the 'serious' watches and the Casios:

It's an illness, I tell ya.

I always think I have a problem, but then I see posts like this and remember that my symptoms are relatively mild.

That's one heck of a journey and some classics have been and gone. I'm not sure I could live with a purely digital final collection, but I see where you're coming from.

And I also get the CasioOak readability thing - I rarely wear the 5000U now and tend to reach for one of the 2100s instead.

After he'd been dropping hints I gave my son his first proper watch at the weekend as a good luck gift for his exams. Nothing fancy, just a Timex solar field watch with 100m WR, so should be tough enough to survive whatever a 16 year old can throw at it. He says he loves it so maybe I've created a monster. Only time will tell and he's welcome to all mine when I'm gone. Shared with his sister obviously.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 15th May 2023 at 17:14.

Master
    What an interesting journey and a satisfying conclusion that you are content with. Looking at the early table shot you must have had daily dilemmas as to what to wear.

I agree with your comments on a smart watch, my low level Garmin provides some fascinating insights into my exercise and energy levels. Its started to dominate the role of daily wearer which if you told me that 12 months ago I would have laughed at the idea.

Phwar! There’s some heavy hitters there!

That PAM EOT is a beaut. Well done on the cull. Keep me in mind if you have a strap sale. Or are you gonna hold on to them, just in case?…

;)

Master
    Interesting read, that is some shift in the direction of your 'collection' fair play to you
    I'm not sure I could have a cull to that extent (although I've only accumulated 13 so far) I have sentimental attachments to a few
    enjoy your 'G's' and chillaxing

That is some cull,and some serious money on that table,it’s good to have owned them ,had most of us can only dream of a collection like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

Enjoyed that write-up

FWVLIW, ^above^ is where I'd have called it a day

...but fiscal prudence beats all - and what great fortune that G-Shocks scratch the WIS itch

very interesting- and your retirement thread also gave me food for thought!

if you had kept just one from the collection in the first pic, do you know what it would've been?

Craftsman
    A beautiful collection and an excellent story. It’s great to know there is a way out of this collection madness with the right aptitude. Well done

Craftsman
    A great read OP and what a collection you had!
    And great exit watches you have chosen.

This thread and the one you linked to regarding retirement both hit home to me.
    After 35 years working for the same firm I finally had enough of all the stress, BS, etc and called it a day at 51 (53 now)
    I thought I would miss the place that had been my home from leaving school but do not miss it one bit!!
    I also feel the same now regarding the watch collection I have (which by the way is nowhere as impressive as yours was) I think now I have fell out with most of my watches apart from a few sentimental pieces that I will hang onto.
    Don’t get me wrong I love a mechanical watch and think I will always have at least one but I think I was buying some more to make me feel better than anything after a crap week or so at work (by the way it doesn’t work!)
    I have spent some of today wondering around quite a few watch shops whilst the Mrs n family were doing the usual
    Shoe, bag shopping, and the buzz I got sat trying on and usually buying a watch has totally disappeared!
    I now wonder why I have so many watches that don’t see the light of day from one year to the next or when they do, I wind them a little, give them a wipe and back away they go, crazy really.
    Since Christmas I have only worn an Apple Watch (a lot to do with wanting to get fit, getting ready for the 10k race for life the Mrs has talked me into doing with her!)
    So my dilemma is which one, or two do I keep along with the smart watch then sell the others and use to money to help keep me ticking (excuse the pun!) along until the magic 55 pension access number.
    Strange old world ain’t it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Interesting thread. I left paid work maybe nearly four years ago and haven’t looked back since. I still have a relatively small collection of watches and just added one JLC to it today.

I don’t feel the need or have necessity to sell any, except from pressure from SWMBO who would like me to have a one-in-one-out protocol to balance the books.

I am slightly confused by these threads on a watch forum - who sell all their collections. It feels like an oxymoron in this context. But then I can understand if there is a financial aspect. Also we all ebb and flow with interests in the hobby.

anyway - hope life is treating you well OP!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Your collection was far better than mine as I have mostly cheap Seiko of few dozens that I don't see much resale value in them.

Having said that timing is crucial as you could make the most out of your sale when Rolex and others peaked their value in the used market, so long term holding might be viewed as sort of investment with the right collection in the first place.

Master
    There's a lot to relate to here, aside from the size/value of the collection on that table! I think the ever increasing values have slowly eroded my interest simply because they no longer seem reasonable or value for money when compared with other costs and life in general.
    I've recently had a rekindling of interest in lower priced pieces, quite enjoying a PRS25 at the moment, so whilst I've kept some more valuable watches for the time being at I'm just not ready to give them up I can see that day on the horizon, especially as I am contemplating going part time now I'm in my late 50s.
    I think the OP's journey is a more colourful one than mine but the start, middle and end feel very similar. Good luck OP, sounds like you've absolutely made the right decisions.

Brought only few cheap watches recently from Glycine, Victorinox etc. while turned my interest to diecast model cars from 1/18 to 1/64 that let me re-enjoy the kind of economic freedom without too much worry about their price tags. Still want to wear my watches but basically lost 99% interest in those cost outrageously.

I have googled it, but the list did not include anything to do with watches, therefor I have to ask, in this context what does SOTC stand for please? I had to look up WIS too and I have no idea what a PRS25 is either. I obviously don't speak the code!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    I have googled it, but the list did not include anything to do with watches, therefor I have to ask, in this context what does SOTC stand for please? I had to look up WIS too and I have no idea what a PRS25 is either. I obviously don't speak the code!
    SOTC - State of the collection
    WIS - Watch Idiot Savant (watch nerd)
    PRS25 - model number of the Smiths Everest watch that Eddie makes - https://www.timefactors.com/products...6mm-black-dial

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=MartynJC (UK)

"I am slightly confused by these threads on a watch forum - who sell all their collections. It feels like an oxymoron in this context. But then I can understand if there is a financial aspect. Also we all ebb and flow with interests in the hobby".

In the past Ive decided to reduce my collection,1> its become too big and some need to go,2>The loss of a family member which gets me worried about my own life and leaving my collection to be sorted by whoever.
    Ive had the recent loss of another Brother not long after my Dad passing,plus my eldest Brother in a car accident many years ago,so it has had me looking at "stuff" in a different light.
    Ill be a little happier once I let 3 of my Rolex Subs go leaving just 2 Subs and a few much much cheaper watches that cause no worry whatsoever.
    I think the World as it is can have people looking at their high value trinkets differently too,where perhaps that cash could go towards something else.....
    But were are all different with equally very different bank accounts and or reasons for reducing a large collection of whatever it may be".
    Last edited by P9CLY; 16th May 2023 at 14:03.

Ah mate, I remember when you were just starting down the Panerai rabbit hole post the 'SOTC pic'. Feels a lifetime ago! I'm not surprised you've ended up selling everything, I mean you've done it before! I'd still keep a few straps just in case you feel the urge for another PAM.....

Enjoy retirement!

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=P9CLY;6211356][QUOTE=MartynJC (UK)

"I am slightly confused by these threads on a watch forum - who sell all their collections. It feels like an oxymoron in this context. But then I can understand if there is a financial aspect. Also we all ebb and flow with interests in the hobby".

In the past Ive decided to reduce my collection,1> its become too big and some need to go,2>The loss of a family member which gets me worried about my own life and leaving my collection to be sorted by whoever.
    Ive had the recent loss of another Brother not long after my Dad passing,plus my eldest Brother in a car accident many years ago,so it has had me looking at "stuff" in a different light.
    Ill be a little happier once I let 3 of my Rolex Subs go leaving just 2 Subs and a few much much cheaper watches that cause no worry whatsoever.
    I think the World as it is can have people looking at their high value trinkets differently too,where perhaps that cash could go towards something else.....
    But were are all different with equally very different bank accounts and or reasons for reducing a large collection of whatever it may be".[/QUOTE]

So sorry for your losses. The is little worse than to lose loved ones. It certainly focusses priorities. I guess I was trying to be slightly clever (which sadly never really works for me and more so in text format) - something about watch forums and posting about selling up a huge collection of watches. I agree - we are all different and all have our reasons to be where we are. Last time we moved house we sold / gave away three quarters of our "stuff" including our two cars and our house contents, which was liberating.

Anyway - all the best to you (and to the OP too).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Generally when people post STOC the watches will look very similar, and I question why people do that, why buy several watches that basically all look the same? One black-dialled steel dive watch looks pretty much like another, the differences are minor. The level of diversity in most of these SOTC posts is v. limited, I suppose people are drawn to one style and then end up buying several of the same.

I find it surprising that people almost boast about cutting down their collection, with advancing years I`m aware there will come a time when it makes sense to start getting rid of several, but it's not a process I look forward to and I don`t see the pleasure in it. At the moment the only reason I`d get rid of a few watches would be to buy something else frivolous such as another classic car, thus swapping one toy for another. I`ve considered this but my head always rules my heart and I stick with what I`ve got. Maybe I see things differently to many folks on here.

I missed your original SOTC - and what a collection it was. Very understandable reasons for your change of direction - I'm sorry for your losses.

I'm sure I'll reduce my (much more humble) collection at some point as I get older. Having a larger (than 6.75") wrist would be nice, there are several watches I'd like to be able to carry off (including larger Panerai and the 45mm BPFF).

Out of interest, which 2 Rolex did you keep (in your earlier cull to 3 watches)?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The same could be said of anything Paul, particularly to the disinterested eye.
    Black dial dive watches look alike.
    So do gold dress watches.
    So do cars.
    So do houses.
    So do sofa's, chairs, bags, wallets, rings, jeans, jumpers, sunsets, beaches, forests, valleys, mountains, suburbs, blah.

It's the small differences between the ostensibly "same" things you appreciate.. or not.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is no logic to collecting. Some like diversity and others a narrow interest focusing on the minutiae.

Collections have a lifecycle. Some race through the process burn out and move on others it’s a lifelong obsession.

I think we have all dimensions covered on this forum and each journey is equally interesting.

I’d class my own collection as a slow progression with a diverse range of watches. I do harbour a little discomfort in how much money I have tied up in watches which by many examples here is very modest but most “ordinary” people would consider excessive. I sometimes wonder about selling the “luxury” brands … who knows. I did promise my wife one would leave when the mark xx arrived … I need to get on with that … 58 for the chop at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    SOTC - State of the collection
    WIS - Watch Idiot Savant (watch nerd)
    PRS25 - model number of the Smiths Everest watch that Eddie makes - https://www.timefactors.com/products...6mm-black-dial
    Thank you kindly. My education in watch speak is enhanced every time I come on here.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The same could be said of anything Paul, particularly to the disinterested eye.
    Black dial dive watches look alike.
    So do gold dress watches.
    So do cars.
    So do houses.
    So do sofa's, chairs, bags, wallets, rings, jeans, jumpers, sunsets, beaches, forests, valleys, mountains, suburbs, blah.

It's the small differences between the ostensibly "same" things you appreciate.. or not.
    On reflection.......and having revisited my own collection tonight, I think you may be right.

Great read.
    When one buys a panerai its the start of an amazing strap journey then of course you sell the fu**er......

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I like these SOTC threads! It's great to actually see the different types and styles and also maybe the story of how the owner came to have said pieces.

I think that is why I really enjoy the 'Friday Thread', with so many different watches. It's great to see the good the bad and the ugly! As always, pictures are worth a 1000...................

I have yet to really have a 'collection' but my interest lies more in maybe having 'one of each', ie: a dress watch, a divers, a field watch and and a cheap gym watch', or something like that, and swap them out as and when.

Nice collection by the way!

Thanks OP for a wonderful post.
    In many ways your journey was a similar one to my own.
    Having first become interested in watches from about the age of 10 - will be 65 this year.
    Like many of us here I have had many ups and downs - mainly downs, when it came to my collection.
    But that said I have been privileged to own and wear many beautiful watches.
    To quote a famous lyric - "Mistakes I have made a few"
    But I have, for the most enjoyed this crazy passion.
    Though, time has come to slow right down and with that I am hoping to go part-time from next month.
    So, with that in mind, I purchased my exist watch, that imo, is more in keeping with a retired life style. A traditional gold dress watch, which is actually older than I am!
    Having first seen the light in the early to mid 50's.
    I tend to wear it only when not working, and when I am it will be my Garmin, to measure my steps LOL.
    So, once again thanks OP for your post.

fantastic post - thanks OP

Master
    Thanks everyone for the comments - and empathy. It's interesting to see how many of us go on similar journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Phwar! There’s some heavy hitters there!
    That PAM EOT is a beaut. Well done on the cull. Keep me in mind if you have a strap sale. Or are you gonna hold on to them, just in case?…

;)
    Straps will be online in the next day or so - I've decided to keep 12 and the strap case - a nice 'package' to keep to one side in case I win on the Premium Bonds and decide to splash some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    very interesting- and your retirement thread also gave me food for thought!

if you had kept just one from the collection in the first pic, do you know what it would've been?
    That's not an easy question - In a way I think the fact that after my large scale clearout some years ago and then gradual whittling, the Hulk was the only OG left that I would probably say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    A great read OP and what a collection you had!
    And great exit watches you have chosen.

This thread and the one you linked to regarding retirement both hit home to me.
    After 35 years working for the same firm I finally had enough of all the stress, BS, etc and called it a day at 51 (53 now)
    I thought I would miss the place that had been my home from leaving school but do not miss it one bit!!
    I also feel the same now regarding the watch collection I have (which by the way is nowhere as impressive as yours was) I think now I have fell out with most of my watches apart from a few sentimental pieces that I will hang onto.
    Don’t get me wrong I love a mechanical watch and think I will always have at least one but I think I was buying some more to make me feel better than anything after a crap week or so at work (by the way it doesn’t work!)
    I have spent some of today wondering around quite a few watch shops whilst the Mrs n family were doing the usual
    Shoe, bag shopping, and the buzz I got sat trying on and usually buying a watch has totally disappeared!
    I now wonder why I have so many watches that don’t see the light of day from one year to the next or when they do, I wind them a little, give them a wipe and back away they go, crazy really.
    Since Christmas I have only worn an Apple Watch (a lot to do with wanting to get fit, getting ready for the 10k race for life the Mrs has talked me into doing with her!)
    So my dilemma is which one, or two do I keep along with the smart watch then sell the others and use to money to help keep me ticking (excuse the pun!) along until the magic 55 pension access number.
    Strange old world ain’t it!
    TZ-UK mobile app
    I relate to so much of this.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I guess I was trying to be slightly clever (which sadly never really works for me and more so in text format) - something about watch forums and posting about selling up a huge collection of watches. I agree - we are all different and all have our reasons to be where we are. Last time we moved house we sold / gave away three quarters of our "stuff" including our two cars and our house contents, which was liberating.
    Anyway - all the best to you (and to the OP too).
    Cheers. I think the comments highlight how sharing these sorts of journeys helps wider perspective for other community members. Also, I still have a 'collection' of sorts and as per previous comment above I will still have a grand collection of Panerai straps - that must still qualify me as a WIS ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I missed your original SOTC - and what a collection it was. Very understandable reasons for your change of direction - I'm sorry for your losses.

I'm sure I'll reduce my (much more humble) collection at some point as I get older. Having a larger (than 6.75") wrist would be nice, there are several watches I'd like to be able to carry off (including larger Panerai and the 45mm BPFF).

Out of interest, which 2 Rolex did you keep (in your earlier cull to 3 watches)?
    My wrist is only 6.75 - And At one stage all I wore were 47mm Panerai. These threads might be of interest
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ht=perspective
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=Panerai

As to the 3 I kept - Initially it was Hulk, Platinum Yachty and white Milgauss. Then I sold the Milgauss and subsequently ended up with a ceramic Sea Dweller 4000. After which the Yachtmaster went and my "two" were then left at Hulk and SD-C. However, once I was smitten with Panerai I never wore them.

I'm 41 and not even remotely thinking of retiring. I would die of boredom and the wife would drive me mad with stuff to do around the house...

I have 4 kids and a lot of bills so retirement isn't even a consideration and with the youngest being 4, I couldn't even thing about it until she was 25 and out the house etc.

I'm fortunate I work for myself so can do pretty much as I please but the key is to know how to take time out and relax, something I'm not particularly good at.

Kudos to those who make their dreams come true in this regard, I've seen all your SOTC's over the years and been amazed at the number of watches you've had. I can fully appreciate how you can be content with the slimmed down collection, the importance or otherwise of watches is just a state of mind, nothing more.

Good luck in your sabbatical/early retirement and stay busy and keep your mind active is all I can advise. Too much chillaxing as you put it and you may start behaving like an older person 😄

Perfect “journey’ that has come full circle. Congratulations and well done!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Journeyman
    Great story and pictures. I can see some JLC and your Fifty Fathoms, I'm interested to know if you ever ventured into any holy trinity watches or similar brands, and if not then why?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by faken View Post
    Great story and pictures. I can see some JLC and your Fifty Fathoms, I'm interested to know if you ever ventured into any holy trinity watches or similar brands, and if not then why?
    Cheers.

On occasion I flirted with a Nautilus and Royal Oak, but they just never felt worth the cost IMO, even a AP RO at £7k (once upon a time).