closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC - my exit watches?

Threaded View

Master

SOTC - my exit watches?

I've been a WIS for most of my life, intially inspired by the Omega and Rolex ads in National Geographic. As a teenager I progressed through basic Casio, then the G-Shock when it came out and the Swatch, a Seiko Automatic and when I started my first (maybe second) full time job at 19 I got an Omega De Ville. The journey grew from there, in volume terms probably peaking with this lot below - the 'serious' watches and the Casios:

I subsequently managed to reduce the 'collection' to just 2 Rolexes and a G-Shock - In part as I got a lower paid job and had other things to do with the cash. Alas, as my income grew again the collection grew to the following:

Over the next few years the Rolexes got dumped as I became infected by the Panerai virus... I really got bitten by the bug and bought and sold very many PAMs and the strap collection headed towards 100 or so - a combo of OEM and bespoke. I think at one point I had around 10 PAMs, including my grail the Equation of Time (PAM670) and some other beauties - both 44mm and 47mm. Cashflow allowed some other watches over the past few years including another (almost) grail of a titanium Fifty Fathoms on bracelet - which partnered up beautifully with the 670

Last year I took the decision to leave work - See post here - and part of that process has obviously led to changed priorities. The 670 and Fifty Fathoms clearly were not a priority when one looks at how many months you can live off the proceeds.

The result is that I've now sold every fancy watch. I can't even see any value in a watch for a few thousand. It just seems pointless when the funds could be used to pay the bills - be they discretionary ones or day to day living.

I think some years back there was a thread about the final watch, the only watch you'll ever need. I think my comment at the time was that once I was no longer working I would either not even bother wearing a watch (unlikely though as I do still like to have a timepiece) but that if I did then at that stage of life frankly all that one would ever need was a GW5600...

Interestingly this is pretty much where I've ended. Clearly as a reformed/semi-retired WIS one watch isn't on the cards just yet - but I'm almost there.

I present to you my latest SOTC (which may or may not be final - maybe the Smart watch will be upgraded in time):

The 'one and only' - This would be my Desert Island watch - Casio GW-5600.

A Casio GA-2100 - Whilst the 5600 is the one and only, my eyes find this one easier to read, and it's more adaptable for 'casual' use with it's monotone colour scheme. This was a gift from the other half, so should be a keeper.

A Seiko Arnie Re-Issue. Another gift from the other half, a combo of solar and robust, if I want something a bit more macho than the G-Shock's this fits the brief.

And finally my day to day wearer right now is a recently acquired Garmin Fenix 6 solar. Some interesting features and (don't shoot me!) I'm actually enjoying it - Check the weather, see messages, check my sleep patterns, blood ox, body battery - and if needed full blown mapping/tracking.

And a group shot.

I find it really interesting how easily I've converted to not really caring about a fancy time piece. Upsides include lower insurance premiums, no servicing, not having to worry when travelling plus they reflect my new status in life - chillaxing :) It's also interesting to note that my teenage self had Casio/Seiko watches.

Full disclosure - I do have a BNIB Casio GW-5610 in a drawer as a back up, just in case. I don't see the value in selling it, and WIS behaviour never really dies, it just wanes ;)
    Last edited by ASW1; 15th May 2023 at 21:40.