closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found my stolen watch on Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Yeah it really is, next to the images you have Chrono advertising it as a verified seller/watch with a big green tick plus other advantages of using their platform when in reality its useless.

I imagine if you uploaded any half decent fake ID on there it would be accepted too plus there is no requirement to enter any serial numbers so it really opens the gates to criminals wanting to sell at maximum price.

Upload your fake ID, set the time for Chrono, blur the serial number which is allowed and away you go.. some poor guy will buy it and might not find out for years to come that his new pride and joy is stolen.
    That has always been the risk with C24.

I really do not understand why people use it to track prices etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I shall never use them again. This needs to be taken public to bring the pressure on them to sort their shit out, shockingly poor from them. Spread the word on all the forums and punish the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    I shall never use them again. This needs to be taken public to bring the pressure on them to sort their shit out, shockingly poor from them. Spread the word on all the forums and punish the hell out of them.
    It’s definitely put me off using them
    Poor show all round.
    I really do hope the OP gets his watch back and C24 get what they deserve

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    They could not have handled it worse.

I have just received an email from them actually, apparently they are waiting for a document from the officer which he sent on Tuesday, he then called twice after to make sure they had everything but was unable to speak to anyone in that department.

If they would just allow us to talk direct to this 'security' department it would save so much time, they only reply to email which is taking hours/days and customer service just make notes to pass on. What a mess!

At the risk of repetition there are 16 people (directors) to choose from to contact with vigour either through CH24 or Linkedin

Unless you escalate I very much doubt you will get the desired result and currently I very much doubt any of the 16 are aware of your plight

click link scroll down then contact them by any and all means available to you it's as much in their interest as yours.

https://about.chrono24.com/en/team/#...0in%20practice

The motto from their website .

"Talk is Silver action is Gold"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    At the risk of repetition there are 16 people (directors) to choose from to contact with vigour either through CH24 or Linkedin

Unless you escalate I very much doubt you will get the desired result and currently I very much doubt any of the 16 are aware of your plight

click link scroll down then contact them by any and all means available to you it's as much in their interest as yours.

https://about.chrono24.com/en/team/#...0in%20practice

The motto from their website .

"Talk is Silver action is Gold"

I will be doing this tomorrow, I dont have Linkedin or Twitter but happy to create an account to contact them.
    I will put a short but to the point email together in the morn and fire it across to them all.

Customer service are expecting me to call in the morn too and after my phone call this morn they now know how p*ssed off I am about all of this. I have demanded to speak to management or the guy in charge of my case tomorrow and they didn't so no, so thats a start!

If this watch is still in the sellers possession then its a miracle, chances are its in another country now!

Master
    ^^^^ sound advice, access to senior people is sometimes the only way to resolve an issue and they ought to appreciate being given the chance to restore their reputation in these circumstances. The alternative is the social media approach which I have, on very odd occasions, found to be productive, especially when the company is active in that medium.

Good luck OP!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I agree that the chances of the police doing anything at all are zero - even if it was deemed to be a UK crime.
    This thread would keep them busy, appears to me that TZ members intially seemed to be targeting the OP for no real reason.
    Last edited by EmilA; 18th May 2023 at 18:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    ^^^^ sound advice, access to senior people is sometimes the only way to resolve an issue and they ought to appreciate being given the chance to restore their reputation in these circumstances. The alternative is the social media approach which I have, on very odd occasions, found to be productive, especially when the company is active in that medium.

Good luck OP!
    Thanks!

Any tips on how to find their email addresses?
    I am thinking creating a Linkedin and Twitter account maybe easier?

Master
    Thanks!

Any tips on how to find their email addresses?
    I am thinking creating a Linkedin and Twitter account maybe easier?
    Both LinkedIn and Twitter would be a good start. A quick Google suggests some of the Chrono 24 Team's https://about.chrono24.com/en/team/#...0in%20practice email addresses may be public such as tim@chrono24.com and holger.felgner@chrono24.com but I'd need to spend more time checking how accurate they are and what other sources supported those addresses.

Craftsman
    Thanks. I have just put a post on LinkedIn, hopefully that’s worked!
    No time like the present lol.

Twitter tomorrow if I get some time to create an account, hopefully it won’t come to it but I am sure there will some interested parties who would like to hear how this has been handled.

Master
    Twitter tomorrow if I get some time to create an account...
    Let's hope LinkedIn gets you some progress. Their last tweet on their Twitter account is January but they seem to be responding to being tagged into a tweet within a couple of days and invite personal messages so they are monitoring Twitter, though seemingly not by the hour.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    That has always been the risk with C24.

I really do not understand why people use it to track prices etc.
    +1

Mostly bullshitters trying their luck, not suitable for price reference imho.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Found my stolen watch on Chrono

OP I’ve provided a link to this thread as a comment to Chrono24’s most recent LinkedIn and Facebook posts

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ikincooper; 18th May 2023 at 22:24.

Any update OP would be interested to hear if CH24 have provided any meaningful action for you ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Any update OP would be interested to hear if CH24 have provided any meaningful action for you ?
    We made some progress, I called them at 9am and made it very clear I wasn't happy with how this had been dealt with.
    I mentioned that I had been sharing this on a forum plus Linkedin and if I didn't get a call back within the hour I would try once more before sharing it all over.

An hour passed and nothing, so I called them again and give them the last opportunity and 'surprisingly' the security department were free to talk to me. I had a chat with the guy handling the case who informed me he was waiting for a document from the police before he could do anything. The document in question was sent on Tuesday AM by the police and followed up by them and myself the following days but as we could not talk to anyone in charge it was just on the to-do list.

Turns out the document had been sent and was sent to customer service (the email they provided us with) and not passed on to security or just lost in a stack of emails. I made sure security called the officer in charge who confirmed what I had been telling them and shock.. the information was released.

Its now in the hands of the police and I will wait and see what happens.

Chrono have been terrible from the offset, between myself and the police, Chrono must have been contacted about 10-15 times since Tuesday AM. If they were waiting for this document and they knew the urgency why would they not call and rectify it immediately, or why would customer service not let us talk to them directly to figure it out.
    Security should have their own contact details where you can deal direct with the case handler, not to a third party customer service set up where they wont allow you to talk with anyone other than them.

Chrono verified everything on Monday and removed the advert so they knew it was legitimate, they should have called the officer Tuesday AM and this would have been over with then. Not 5 days.

Still p*ssed off about it all and I think its unlikely I will see the watch again now (thanks mostly to Chrono). My only hope is the seller is not suspicious yet and we get there in time.

I will give you all an update when I get one, I suspect probably monday!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ikincooper View Post
    OP I’ve provided a link to this thread as a comment to Chrono24’s most recent LinkedIn and Facebook posts

Good luck

Thanks!

Appreciate that :)

We made some progress, I called them at 9am and made it very clear I wasn't happy with how this had been dealt with.
    I mentioned that I had been sharing this on a forum plus Linkedin and if I didn't get a call back within the hour I would try once more before sharing it all over.

An hour passed and nothing, so I called them again and give them the last opportunity and 'surprisingly' the security department were free to talk to me. I had a chat with the guy handling the case who informed me he was waiting for a document from the police before he could do anything. The document in question was sent on Tuesday AM by the police and followed up by them and myself the following days but as we could not talk to anyone in charge it was just on the to-do list.

Turns out the document had been sent and was sent to customer service (the email they provided us with) and not passed on to security or just lost in a stack of emails. I made sure security called the officer in charge who confirmed what I had been telling them and shock.. the information was released.

Its now in the hands of the police and I will wait and see what happens.

Chrono have been terrible from the offset, between myself and the police, Chrono must have been contacted about 10-15 times since Tuesday AM. If they were waiting for this document and they knew the urgency why would they not call and rectify it immediately, or why would customer service not let us talk to them directly to figure it out.
    Security should have their own contact details where you can deal direct with the case handler, not to a third party customer service set up where they wont allow you to talk with anyone other than them.

Chrono verified everything on Monday and removed the advert so they knew it was legitimate, they should have called the officer Tuesday AM and this would have been over with then. Not 5 days.

Still p*ssed off about it all and I think its unlikely I will see the watch again now (thanks mostly to Chrono). My only hope is the seller is not suspicious yet and we get there in time.

I will give you all an update when I get one, I suspect probably monday!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

Appreciate that :)
    Appreciate your update OP and I’m just hopeful that your persistence with C24 isn’t in vein. They did reply to my Linked in message fairly promptly so don’t be afraid to use social media

Craftsman
    Their reply is a bit misleading as it sounds like they’re on the ball and contacting/updating us, neither me or the police had a call from them except for the one today which I pushed them to do. They didn't even have our phone numbers as i had to read them out to the security employee today.

I received one generic email the other day and the police 1-2 asking for the reports. We were both left in the dark and could not contact anyone on the case this week.

Its done now though but they have a lot to learn from this and need to MASSIVELY step up their security. At the least make the serial number field mandatory when advertising, even if half is blurred out on the live advert it at least shows part of it.
    Last edited by GC2012; 19th May 2023 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Goods obtained by deception are stolen goods and title remains with the person deceived into parting with them .......

"Under s24 of the Act 1968, stolen goods are any goods acquired through theft, deception, or blackmail"

Mitch
    I seem to recall a thread on here years ago and the law was different in Holland. It was another stolen Rolex and I think someone on here bought it.

Their reply is a bit misleading as it sounds like they’re on the ball and contacting/updating us, neither me or the police had a call from them except for the one today which I pushed them to do. They didn't even have our phone numbers as i had to read them out to the security employee today.

I received one generic email the other day and the police 1-2 asking for the reports. We were both left in the dark and could not contact anyone on the case this week.

Its done now though but they have a lot to learn from this and need to MASSIVELY step up their security. At the least make the serial number field mandatory when advertising, even if half is blurred out on the live advert it at least shows part of it.
    They are not interested and have no imperative other than to keep doing what they do, sadly.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I seem to recall a thread on here years ago and the law was different in Holland. It was another stolen Rolex and I think someone on here bought it.
    I cant say too much but I think my next issue might be to do with the law.. I will update you all next week with hopefully some good news.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    They are not interested and have no imperative other than to keep doing what they do, sadly.
    Very true, this will be forgotten about now but considering the size of their company and reputation they have plenty of room to improve and should learn from this issue.

Considering they are already laying off half their staff, I am sure the last thing they need is people coming forward with stolen watches they have purchased from C24. It could open a can of worms and like I said before, mine isn't the first watch I know which has ended up on C24 and the other I am referring to was sold by a dealer on there and never returned back to the rightful owner.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very true, this will be forgotten about now but considering the size of their company and reputation they have plenty of room to improve and should learn from this issue.

Considering they are already laying off half their staff, I am sure the last thing they need is people coming forward with stolen watches they have purchased from C24. It could open a can of worms and like I said before, mine isn't the first watch I know which has ended up on C24 and the other I am referring to was sold by a dealer on there and never returned back to the rightful owner.
    I’ve just posted on twitter a question to C24 about their terribly bad, negligent, engagement with you on this.

My twitter account is internationally linked to many overseas.

FWIW, back in 2018 I bought a watch in good faith via Chrono24 from TimeSource in New York at a cost of $12800 that turned out to be counterfeit/homologation! They weren’t interested but thank god for PayPal!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Believe in Holland the title to certain stolen goods reverts to the the person in possession if uncontested for a period of time.

Though might only be works of art and 30 years - not sure of details.

Master
    I queried a watch with Chrono24 earlier in the year. I’m fairly confident that it was fake, found their response unsatisfactory and has made me very wary about the site.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I queried a watch with Chrono24 earlier in the year. I’m fairly confident that it was fake, found their response unsatisfactory and has made me very wary about the site.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I presume they are just happy taking the commission rather than trying to get rid of fakes and stolen items.

They could very easily cut down on this just by adding the serial number or part of it on to the adverts, if you know a watch is stolen the last thing you want is the serial number being checked or held on a database by Chrono. I am sure it would also people find their stolen items easier, I have been checking chrono for the last 3 years for my stolen watches (I have the auto notification settings on). 60-70% of the time the serials are blurred out and I would never know, if they would publish more info such as Year, Month of purchase, Serial number etc it would help a lot.

Master
    Complaining to Chrono24 is as effective as complaining to Tesco because hooded car park meffs are selling weed in the early hours.

I visit Chrono24 as a voyeur of the over-priced and optimistic, but commonly find the fake or materially mis-described worthy of reporting. These cases in just a year :

I fear it is like trying to fend off gnats with a pea-shooter.

Master
    Just been amazed at following this thread on how much OP and the Police have had to do with always seemly a blocker at C24.

With how the internet can be I am unsure why as a big as a company C24 are how they seem to just not had any interest in helping you even with Police backing

I registered an account to view a watch etc, sent a message and never heard back. Not sure I would use the platform even less likely to use it now!

Blog Entries
    Just a bunch of slicky bastards trying to make a profit from the great unwashed, avoid whenever you can.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Just been amazed at following this thread on how much OP and the Police have had to do with always seemly a blocker at C24.

With how the internet can be I am unsure why as a big as a company C24 are how they seem to just not had any interest in helping you even with Police backing

I registered an account to view a watch etc, sent a message and never heard back. Not sure I would use the platform even less likely to use it now!

I wont be using it again and would not recommend any one to either.

The 'good' thing about C24 used to be the buyer protection and verified sellers, so even if you were new to watches you always felt like you had some peace of mind and no worries about authenticity. However after what I have dug up the last week or so I dread to think how many people are wearing stolen or fake watches from C24, its no different to eBay to be honest, just dressed up in a nicer way.

The info from Haywood below is also not exactly reassuring that they care about the stock being posted on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Complaining to Chrono24 is as effective as complaining to Tesco because hooded car park meffs are selling weed in the early hours.
    Meff ;)

Excellent Liverpudlian slang.

D

Craftsman
    Just thought I would give everyone a quick update on this.

So after going back and forth with the police they have now confirmed this is a civil matter and can not get the watch back from the seller even though they know it is stolen and have confirmed that. The seller i saying he paid a fair price for the watch and that it comes with the warranty card etc (which has my name on it!) and the prosecutor of course sides with the dutch seller rather than me.

My next step now is finding a lawyer to take the case on and also sharing more posts about this watch online to make it too hot to sell.

Apparently the seller bought it from a shop/trader, if thats the case they will have no issues getting their cash back and the watch returned to me. If I was approached by the police and informed I was wearing a stolen watch I would be willing to help but this guy isn't..

So, if anyone has some tips on Dutch watch pages/FB groups etc let me know

Blog Entries
    Just thought I would give everyone a quick update on this.

So after going back and forth with the police they have now confirmed this is a civil matter and can not get the watch back from the seller even though they know it is stolen and have confirmed that. The seller i saying he paid a fair price for the watch and that it comes with the warranty card etc (which has my name on it!) and the prosecutor of course sides with the dutch seller rather than me.

My next step now is finding a lawyer to take the case on and also sharing more posts about this watch online to make it too hot to sell.

Apparently the seller bought it from a shop/trader, if thats the case they will have no issues getting their cash back and the watch returned to me. If I was approached by the police and informed I was wearing a stolen watch I would be willing to help but this guy isn't..

So, if anyone has some tips on Dutch watch pages/FB groups etc let me know
    Well, there's https://www.horlogeforum.nl/c/horlogemarkt/12

But this is not a likely place he'll give it a try, the rules are rather strict.

And there's also the Dutch sister of E-bay https://www.marktplaats.nl/

This is a more likely place if he would give it a try, some dodgy stuff offered there every now and then.

Good luck with the case.

Master
    Absolutely horribly frustrating reading this.

A lot has been said to wait and trust the system but unfortunately the system doesn’t appear to work.

I wonder if it would have been better to buy it on a credit card and then dispute it as stolen property afterwards.

Probably too late in this case, but what could be done if it happens to someone on here in the future?

I won’t be using Chrono24 again for what that’s worth. Absolute charlatans.

If you could persuade a TV consumer protection programme to take up up your case, and they were prepared to expose C24 'on air', then C24 might be more cooperative – especially if HM's list of allegedly dodgy C24 listings could also be used.

Channel 4's "For What It's Worth" (presented by Penny Junor) helped me to obtain resolution of a case involving purchase of a dodgy camera lens from a well known uncooperative London camera dealer when other means had failed; I appeared on the FWIW TV programme and all my expenses ref same including one day's lost earnings and travel were reimbursed.
    Last edited by sundial; 2nd June 2023 at 10:58.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    If you could persuade a TV consumer protection programme to take up up your case, and they were prepared to expose C24 'on air', then C24 might be more cooperative – especially if HM's list of allegedly dodgy C24 listings could also be used.
    100% quite remarkable how fast resolution can happen once 'bad publicity' gets rolling

still can't understand given the early evidence CH24 did not just buy it covertly themselves to gain 'possession'

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post

A lot has been said to wait and trust the system but unfortunately the system doesn’t appear to work.

I wonder if it would have been better to buy it on a credit card and then dispute it as stolen property afterwards.

Probably too late in this case, but what could be done if it happens to someone on here in the future?

When the watches first went missing I trusted the police and that was mistake number 1, chances are I could have got them back in 2020 if I went down a different route..

Stupidly this time I trusted the system again, only to be let down. I will end up kicking my self over this as I should have bought it on a CC or C24 Escrow service and claimed the money back. If they ever pop up again then the legal route wont get a second thought.

C24 could have also done this as mentioned. As soon as they handed the details to the police they had zero interest in the case, I managed to get through to the security department again a couple of days after to see if they had any further updates and got nothing from them, they had passed the info on and made it clear they were done and there was no reason to contact them again.

Now I need to find a lawyer in the Netherlands to take it on (any recommendations appreciated from the NL members), hopefully if the guy is genuine the threat of legal action might spook him. If he bought this from a shop then I am confident he will get his money back as no shop wants to be renowned for selling stolen goods. The police seem to think having the warranty card is the be all and end all of this case when it's really insignificant. Its also apparently changed hands a few times over the years and they seem to think everyone is innocent, there is no way at least one person/shop has not looked in to this serial number.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post

Also just to add when I suggested this earlier on in the thread everyone jumped down my throat saying I then become a thief of my own items.. Well look where the legal route has got us, there is a guy in Holland wearing my BLNR now, knowing its stolen but legally allowed to keep it/sell it.

Try "You And Yours", the consumer programme on Radio 4.

(Might appeal to the R4 demographic?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Try "You And Yours", the consumer programme on Radio 4.

(Might appeal to the R4 demographic?)
    Good idea and worth a try
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Strikes me that the law & justice only exist for those who have deep enough pockets to throw money at the problem ... for average people you just get mugged off ... It is little wonder that people take matters into their own hands.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Strikes me that the law & justice only exist for those who have deep enough pockets to throw money at the problem ... for average people you just get mugged off ... It is little wonder that people take matters into their own hands.
    The Spanish police are incredibly bad, beyond belief to be honest and I have one of the top lawyers in my area on this case too which wasn't cheap. Complete waste of time and money. I feel it would be the same in most countries, and considering the law in the Netherlands regarding my watch opening a case there will probably be a waste of time too.
    Last edited by GC2012; 2nd June 2023 at 13:13.

Anna Tims, from "Your problems" in The Guardian, is another one you can contact. The louder you are, the more likely Chrono 24 will need to do the right thing.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

What a depressing thread this has become. Fundamentally it seems that theft not only goes unpunished, but is fully supported by all bodies at all times, whereas victims of crime are further victimised.

I feel I now cannot use Chrono24 to sell my backlog of watches which TZ has turned its collective nose up at. Since I also won't use Thiefbay, it seems I have half a dozen extra 'keepers' now! Still, better that than put money into the pockets of the crime-enabling, irresponsible, money-grubbing bastards at Chrono24.

Threads like this must be a very encouraging read for thieves!

Tell them 18k is a lot and you would like to buy it face to face

Apprentice
    @ OP
    Step 1
    can you please give us the permission to widespread this thread to nationnal fora?
    It will be good for other members of nationnal fora to know about Chrono24 practices.

Step 2
    then, we can collect here, in this thread, all the nationnal fora links…

Step 3
    then OP, just send this link to Chrono24. They will see all the “good” for them publicity

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by micmic View Post
    @ OP
    Step 1
    can you please give us the permission to widespread this thread to nationnal fora?
    It will be good for other members of nationnal fora to know about Chrono24 practices.

Step 2
    then, we can collect here, in this thread, all the nationnal fora links…

Step 3
    then OP, just send this link to Chrono24. They will see all the “good” for them publicity
    Go for it, its a public forum and everything I have put in here is the truth.

I am confident the guy with the watch has probably had a browse on here now that he's been made aware, so if you do read this then do the right thing and return my watch.
    If the watch is sold on to another unknowing party who then sends it back to Rolex for a service or tries to sell it else where and the watch is confiscated from them then they will come back to you for selling them a watch you know is stolen. Your opening a can of worms by keeping this when you could return it and get your cash back from the dealer who sold it to you. I have already mentioned a tidy reward is in order too so you could benefit from this..

Might be too late but please change the thread title to Chrono24 as one word. Will help with google searches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Go for it, its a public forum and everything I have put in here is the truth.

I am confident the guy with the watch has probably had a browse on here now that he's been made aware, so if you do read this then do the right thing and return my watch.
    If the watch is sold on to another unknowing party who then sends it back to Rolex for a service or tries to sell it else where and the watch is confiscated from them then they will come back to you for selling them a watch you know is stolen. Your opening a can of worms by keeping this when you could return it and get your cash back from the dealer who sold it to you. I have already mentioned a tidy reward is in order too so you could benefit from this..
    Do Rolex recognise this watch as stolen; and if so what would they do if it came into their possession for service?

Master
    I wonder what would have happened if you had purchased the Watch, through Chrono24 funded by Credit Card, then advised them that having checked the serial number it was logged as stolen ?
    I’d imagine your Credit Card company would be on your side too.
    If still no response you could try to make a good splash on social media etc but you would need to gain significant traction to get it noticed.
    Alternatively (I think I read earlier that you had claimed from your insurance) just move on.
    It’s not your watch as it was anyway, now that it’s been through a few different pairs of grubby hands. Technically it would belong to your insurers now too.
    Condolences anyway, it’s a crap scenario.
    All hail ye old fashioned trusted bricks and mortar retailer.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app