closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife sharpener thoughts - kitchen ones

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    They have different options for angle, look at the photo
    I meant as the smallest angle, not that it was the only angle.

I got a whetstone with a Japanese style knife last year and it has been spot on, surprisingly easy to use and gets the knife sharp. I tend to hardly use it and pass the knife on a honing rod and leather strop every few weeks, maybe the whetstone once a month if that.

I just measured the angle of the 17° hole on my Lansky and with a rod and stone fitted. With the rod on the bottom of the hole it's @ 14° and touching the top @ 15.5°. Of course the amount of blade protruding from the front of the clamp will also have an effect on the angle. I expect Lansky will have their optimum blade lengths and widths they used when giving the angle of each hole a value. That 17° hole is all you need for kitchen knives and most others. Once you learn to use a particular sharpening method you get a feel for getting the angle right, when I first got the Lansky I would run a black Sharpie along the edge on both sides to show the width of the fresh edge as the line was worn off. You only need to get it wrong a couple of times before you stop wasting time and effort and get it right! The only slight bugbear with the Lansky is that a longer blade needs to be removed and refitted in order to do it in 2 halves, 5-6 inches and under is fine.

Son's Leatherman . . .

Before, Himalayan relief profile

After, shaving sharp . . .

The good stuff is done on a stone, . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I just measured the angle of the 17° hole on my Lansky and with a rod and stone fitted. With the rod on the bottom of the hole it's @ 14° and touching the top @ 15.5°. Of course the amount of blade protruding from the front of the clamp will also have an effect on the angle. I expect Lansky will have their optimum blade lengths and widths they used when giving the angle of each hole a value. That 17° hole is all you need for kitchen knives and most others. Once you learn to use a particular sharpening method you get a feel for getting the angle right, when I first got the Lansky I would run a black Sharpie along the edge on both sides to show the width of the fresh edge as the line was worn off. You only need to get it wrong a couple of times before you stop wasting time and effort and get it right! The only slight bugbear with the Lansky is that a longer blade needs to
    Some great results for sure there!

The challenges with longer blades, and the fact the 17 deg isn't even a correct profile makes me feel it is for more bush / tactical knives.

I fiind on some blades I can sharpen the holding part of the lansky or that the red screw dial gets in the way on smaller ones.

Agricultural would be my summary of it, but less so than some of the heinous suggestions here!

Funnily enough, these arrived this week. I bought one of their water sharpener thingies as well, so hopefully I can keep them nicely honed.

Master

Knife sharpener thoughts - kitchen ones

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Funnily enough, these arrived this week. I bought one of their water sharpener thingies as well, so hopefully I can keep them nicely honed.
    Good choice.
    Watch your fingers!
    Last edited by Mj2k; 21st June 2023 at 16:25.

Master
    OK so my wife bought me the HORL 2 for my birthday. I’ve had the felt tip pen out on 2 knives so far and re-profiled the blades to 15deg after using a variety of water stone / Lansky systems.

The first profile took a while, but after a finish and a strop, damn the blade is sharp. This is just their standard wheels, there are 2 finer ones to go for; like the rabbit hole hobby.

Cannot decide yet if they are want / need in the scheme of things.

Confess I am with Wolfie - I use a whetstone (more than one actually) and find them simple and versatile. Finish with a strop.

Mind you I am not a Global knives fan, I think the handles are horrible and the balance for me is all off. I’ve had a couple and got rid of them. I also suspect the steel is excessively hard and consequently they are extremely hard to sharpen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Confess I am with Wolfie - I use a whetstone (more than one actually) and find them simple and versatile. Finish with a strop.

Mind you I am not a Global knives fan, I think the handles are horrible and the balance for me is all off. I’ve had a couple and got rid of them. I also suspect the steel is excessively hard and consequently they are extremely hard to sharpen.
    Perhaps that is why I didn’t like whetstones with them. With the HORL I’m laughing how sharp they are, and rather scared. I know a blunt knife slips, but if you get it wrong with a really sharp one it stops at bone lol.

Weird isn’t it, I love the handles and balance; I find the dimples really handy for grip when I’m getting a little greasy & hands on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have two kinds of wetstone - coarse and fine, sharpen my knives twice a year and in between i use steel rod to maintain edge.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a Horl2 which seems to have given good results on first attempt.

Does using the horl, which has magnets to hold the knife, create any risk to watches through magnetisation?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I bought a Horl2 which seems to have given good results on first attempt.

Does using the horl, which has magnets to hold the knife, create any risk to watches through magnetisation?
    They are fairly strong magnets. I removed mine just to be on the safe side.

Old thread - but I got a Horl2 the other week.

It is the best bit of sharpening kit ever.

I was torn between replacing all my knives or trying to salvage them - and the Horl has absolutely renewed them.
    Really very impressed, and you immediately forget the cost once you use it a few times.

If it hasn’t won awards, then it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

I was torn between replacing all my knives or trying to salvage them - and the Horl has absolutely renewed them.
    Really very impressed, and you immediately forget the cost once you use it a few times.

Interesting - i hadn’t heard of them. a neat design and under £30 on Amazon.

Can it deal with severely curved tips on knives?

Horl is 7 times that price. It remains to be seen if Horl are 7 times better than the copycats.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Really? I assume there's a 0 missing? I can't find one for less than £200, and most nearer £300.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

The first time to get to a new edge is a little painful, did you use the felt tip trick to know when you’d ground it properly?

So simple but so effective, 3 of my friends have purchased them already on the back of mine.

Master
    My set-up cost about £1200 plus extra grits. It’s so good it takes a few hours to notice I’ve cut myself.

Most dangerous knife is usually considered the bread knife, but for me it’s the flexible fish knife.

I’m really tempted by the Horl setup though as the quick sharpen appears much easier than getting my kit out and set up.

Master

Review of the copies vs the original by Nic at Meat Smoke Fire: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00063743268475

Concerning the curved tips, I’m trying to picture how sever a curve, as long as it’s not greater than the diameter of the disk, I can’t see why not. Or you sharpen the first part of the blade and then use a chopping board to raise the sharpener to the required height ( which some thick blades require the use of a block anyway )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    My set-up cost about £1200 plus extra grits. It’s so good it takes a few hours to notice I’ve cut myself.

Most dangerous knife is usually considered the bread knife, but for me it’s the flexible fish knife.

I’m really tempted by the Horl setup though as the quick sharpen appears much easier than getting my kit out and set up.
    Dear god that makes the Horl sound cheap lol.

As always I’m now looking at the 2 finer grits and then the super fine, and the £300 box to keep it all in lol..

My cooking knives are all very sharp now thanks to Horl I got for Christmas.

Be interested to hear if anyone has the extra discs and what they think of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    The first time to get to a new edge is a little painful, did you use the felt tip trick to know when you’d ground it properly?

So simple but so effective, 3 of my friends have purchased them already on the back of mine.

You need to create a 'wire edge' or 'burr' before moving to the other side of the blade. Once you have a burr you're done on that side, move on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVUc1hWxEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiIsAn1ZGkw
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Really? I assume there's a 0 missing? I can't find one for less than £200, and most nearer £300.
    It must be a copy that my search found.

It must be a copy that my search found.
    I ended up buying an Any Sharp last night for a very reasonable £10. We'll see how it goes.

Although I do all the cooking in our house and enjoy it, I'm not a professional chef so really can't justify some of the daft, expensive kit being touted here.

I liked the look of the Horl, but …

The Chef’s Choice electric ones at £150-ish are about as far as I can justify, and really pleased with the results.

Still got a Lansky kit, but it doesn’t see daylight much now.

I ended up buying an Any Sharp last night for a very reasonable £10. We'll see how it goes.

Although I do all the cooking in our house and enjoy it, I'm not a professional chef so really can't justify some of the daft, expensive kit being touted here.

I liked the look of the Horl, but …
    Just be careful how often you use it as each time it strips away a bit of metal from the edge. It does leave a good sharp edge but I only use it on one cheaper knife now, it looks rather deformed.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Just be careful how often you use it as each time it strips away a bit of metal from the edge. It does leave a good sharp edge but I only use it on one cheaper knife now, it looks rather deformed.

That’s a surprise. I’m seeing no discernible loss from my knives and even my 1980 vintage Chicago Cutlery boning knife shows negligible ‘wear’. I reckon all my knives will ‘see me out’ and then some.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You need to create a 'wire edge' or 'burr' before moving to the other side of the blade. Once you have a burr you're done on that side, move on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVUc1hWxEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiIsAn1ZGkw
    Thanks, I’d read the burr before and follow it now they are profiled.

The felt tip trick I referred to was how you know the blade has been profiled correctly if you weren’t previously at 15 or 20 degrees: https://www.horl.com/dk/en/blog/the-...pening-process

I think I find the strop at the end the most relaxing part.

Master

Knife sharpener thoughts - kitchen ones

Cheap rubbish quality knives deserve a cheap rubbish quality sharper . Why pay more if you don’t care . This is the result of an ANY SHARP style sharper on my GUSTAV EML budget/midrange 6inch chefs knife. Would I use that style of sharper on my decent knives? No, I’ll stick to my HORL2
    Note the wear to the blade on the mid to heal if the knife .
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 5th March 2024 at 11:25.

I recently got one of these after a fair bit of research. A little practice and it's more than enough for the average home chef in my humble opinion.

Whetstone Sharpening Stone Shapton Ceramic KUROMAKU #1500 by Shapton https://amzn.eu/d/h62XWiD

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Cheap rubbish quality knives deserve a cheap rubbish quality sharper . Why pay more if you don’t care . This is the result of an ANY SHARP style sharper on my GUSTAV EML budget/midrange 6inch chefs knife. Would I use that style of sharper on my decent knives? No, I’ll stick to my HORL2

Did you read the instructions first?

Master
    Did you read the instructions first?
    Mine was so cheap that it didn’t come with instructions. Proper cheap crap.

Master
    Mine was so cheap that it didn’t come with instructions. Proper cheap crap.
    If you are happy with it on your knives then happy days. Try a HORL if you can afford it . Very nice bit of kit, and my Mrs doesn’t mind using it unlike a steel which looked like she was sword fighting !

Master
    If you are happy with it on your knives then happy days. Try a HORL if you can afford it . Very nice bit of kit, and my Mrs doesn’t mind using it unlike a steel which looked like she was sword fighting !
    Haha sword fighting is a brilliant visual!

I've just bought a HORL 2 based on all the recommendations here. I had some crappy two-wheel thing I used before but have some knives deserving of better, including the knife I bought as a chef in Cardiff in 1996 (I've lost my steel somewhere along the way).
    "A man of little significance"

This is the same result as I have experienced, like you i just use the anysharp on my cheapee knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    ...but unfortunately it is a misnomer. A sharpening steel doesn't sharpen...
    yes it does.
    perhaps you are thinking of a honing steel ...