closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solar control window tinting film for home use - anyone tried it?

Craftsman

Solar control window tinting film for home use - anyone tried it?

Looks like we've a brewing problem in my new house as the weather warms up. I have a south facing nursery room for my little girl, and it's consistently about 4 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. There's quite a sizeable window in this room that lets in tons of light. Averaging about 24 degrees right now and will only get hotter. Plus I can see that in only 5 months some UV damage on the carpet.

Question: have any of you lot had a similar issue and do any of the multitude of home window tinting options actually work effectively? I've orders some film anyway just now to see what it's like, but I'm interested to see if I'm the only one.

We just leave the blinds shut in that room during the day (especially as no one is in it during the day)

If you tint them, will you lose the benefit of the heat as the sun shines during colder months?

Master
    Would agree that blinds are an easy solution to overcome excessively bright light in the room, but I would have thought that the excess heat in a south-facing room when it's sunny is mostly due to the brickwork heating up on that side of the house.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We went for vertical blinds,works a treat.

Master
    Yes we had this installed in five roof lights of an orangery/conservatory

https://wfprotection.co.uk/solargard-ecolux-70.php

It cuts down the heat gain in the summer and also benefits in the winter by keeping heat in.

This is nothing to do with tinting the windows, you can hardly see there is a film on the windows.

Some more links

https://insulationwarehouse.co.nz/me...-questions.pdf

https://www.spec-net.com.au/press/03...-70-Case-Study
    Last edited by craig1912; 8th May 2023 at 11:25.

Craftsman
    Thanks all, I did like the idea of blinds or even shutters as we have them all across the front of the house already - but for some reason the wife doesn't. She's obsessed with the idea that we have a blackout sheet up, so little one can nap throughout the day. That in itself causes issues as it's black and therefore just pulls in the heat!

I'll try the film - it's only 60 quid, and see how I get on. Then perhaps revisit the blinds conversation. I prefer blinds myself as white will reflect the heat and you can just pull them up out the way in winter when we like some extra warmth in there.

Thanks for the ideas/validation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post

I'll try the film - it's only 60 quid,
    Its a lot more than that and probably best to be professionally fitted.

Blackout blinds dont have to be black, can even be silver to help with temperature control, eg

https://www.247blinds.co.uk/energy-s...r-roller-blind

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Yes we had this installed in five roof lights of an orangery/conservatory

https://wfprotection.co.uk/solargard-ecolux-70.php

It cuts down the heat gain in the summer and also benefits in the winter by keeping heat in.

This is nothing to do with tinting the windows, you can hardly see there is a film on the windows.

Some more links

https://insulationwarehouse.co.nz/me...-questions.pdf

https://www.spec-net.com.au/press/03...-70-Case-Study
    Roughly how much was it to install? Bit alarmed by the FAQ which said it was half the price of double glazing!

Can it be cleaned like a window when it inevitably gets dirty?

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Roughly how much was it to install? Bit alarmed by the FAQ which said it was half the price of double glazing!

Can it be cleaned like a window when it inevitably gets dirty?

Yes it can be cleaned. Each “window” about 900x600mm was approx 120 fitted(I think)

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Yes it can be cleaned. Each “window” about 900x600mm was approx 120 fitted(I think)
    Thanks! I put solar powered automated external awnings on the veluxes as figured best to stop the sun before it hits the glass, but maybe the film is a good solution for roof lights.

We have DuoShade thermal blackout blinds on our south facing bedroom windows - very good for cutting out the light and helps with heat in both summer and winter. External shutters are best IMHO, but not something we see over here...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Blackout blinds dont have to be black, can even be silver to help with temperature control, eg

https://www.247blinds.co.uk/energy-s...r-roller-blind
    Yeah we'd seen one of those before. However the one we have is very much like a sheet that's held bang onto the window frame with magnets and lets absolutely zero light around the sides in. The roller blinds I find unless you have them oversized and rubbing the walls, you'll always have a bot of a light gap.

Just installed solar reflective film on mine and my son's bedroom window last week. Our rooms are south facing so get constant sunlight nearly all day. On top of that my son's room has the hot water tank in the closet. I bought from a company called purlfrost. You can either buy a big roll and cut it to size yourself or I measured my windows and had them pre cut to size. They come in 3 levels of protection.

Fitted them myself and it was relatively easy. Have to say it has definitely lowered the temperatures and as the film is reflective you get added privacy.

Sent from my CPH2437 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Yeah we'd seen one of those before. However the one we have is very much like a sheet that's held bang onto the window frame with magnets and lets absolutely zero light around the sides in. The roller blinds I find unless you have them oversized and rubbing the walls, you'll always have a bot of a light gap.
    Roller blinds with side tracks prevent light leakage.

Master
    Changing the glass to solar control glass might be a more permanent solution. Search for solar control glass such as skn176.

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Just installed solar reflective film on mine and my son's bedroom window last week. Our rooms are south facing so get constant sunlight nearly all day. On top of that my son's room has the hot water tank in the closet. I bought from a company called purlfrost. You can either buy a big roll and cut it to size yourself or I measured my windows and had them pre cut to size. They come in 3 levels of protection.

Fitted them myself and it was relatively easy. Have to say it has definitely lowered the temperatures and as the film is reflective you get added privacy.

Is this fitted on the inside? I've heard horror stories that putting reflective film on the inside pane of a double glazing unit can cause excessive heat resulting in damage.
    I'm interested in doing my home office window but got put off by the negative accounts.

Master
    I used it in my previous flat and it helped. It was the mirrored stuff, bought cheaply online, self installed and trimmed to size when stuck to the window. All I can say is that the second one you do will be really neat.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Roller blinds with side tracks prevent light leakage.
    Oh man, I should have thought about that really - especially as I have them on my velux windows in the top floor. Pitch black in that room.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post

Thanks for the pics. My film has just arrived so I hope I can do a similar neat, bubble free job as you've done there.

Related to the privacy aspect: friend of mine back in the day installed privacy tints on his first car. Not being the sharpest of knives in the drawer he installed it so he couldn't see out but people couldn't see in. Was a right pain getting them off again!

Master
    Some idiot (me) built a garden office with big glass sliding doors facing the sun.
    Had the film in another house and had that fitted as that had big arched windows but this I fitted it myself.
    As long as you arent a complete numpty its easy enough to do - making sure everything is clean is the main thing.

Bonus is I can now see out of the office and nobody can see in. Not that I'm doing anything untoward. Sat in my pants. In the office. Watching Hi-Di-Hi.

Helped a bit with the temperature but I still put aircon in the next summer.