closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Very Clear Television.

Master

Very Clear Television.

Like most of the population I watched the Coronation and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, and I admit this makes me even sadder than a watch nerd, I noticed that the Archbishop of Canterbury wore a very ordinary watch and due to the close up camera work and a sharp TV picture I could easily read the time on his watch during the ceremony. So I followed the programme gawping at his watch.

I shall probably start doing this on other TV programmes. Does anyone do this?

I spotted a datejust

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

'like most of the population'................... you think so? Is that 51% or have you set the threshold higher?

I doubt if it was over 40%

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    'like most of the population'................... you think so? Is that 51% or have you set the threshold higher?

I doubt if it was over 40%
    er no politics but in all fairness I did open with the "like most of the population" statement. I can only plead my carelessness due tipsiness as the wife and I are drinking a large bottle of a very nice vintage champagne to celebrate this once in a 70 year occasion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    I spotted a datejust

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk
    Did you recognise who wore it?

Master
    I thought it was tomorrow ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Did you recognise who wore it?
    Louis Windsor.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Of course you did.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I didn't care.

once in a 70 year occasion.
    Don’t think we’ll be waiting quite that long for the next one.

“Heavy is the head” etc……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I watched the Abbey service on BBC 1 , the transmitted sound kept fluctuating .
    Did others notice this or do I have an issue my end ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post

Watched it in 4k on BBC iPlayer. Excellent pic!
    Last edited by redmonaco; 15th May 2023 at 10:16.

Same here.

I noticed a difference in volume at times, specifically when a commentator ceased talking and thereafter the background volume increased to take in the crowd/sound of the horses, etc.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I can't quite believe so many people had nothing better to do? I suppose the weather was a bit shite, but even so.

I thought it was quite a nice watch, easy viewing on a saturday where it didn't matter if you missed a bit. A lot of history, good or bad and in simple terms, the son of a woman who has done more for this country than any other person in it and before anyone starts shouting 'privilege', I'll bet none would want or could manage a similar role. I'm far from a royalist but it's far better than the alternative and there's a huge amount of positivity in this country when anything like this happens.

Master
    Watched the highlights and enjoyed the sense of history and patriotism.
    I am an old fashioned sort, mind.
    The plastic faced presenters grasping the occasion to further their own do boil my p**s a bit though.
    Grumpy old man syndrome no doubt.

Master
    100% guilty of the this. Yesterday was the opening day of the Gira d Italia cycle race. The race started with a time trial sponsored by Tudor. The lady who counts down with her fingers 5,4 , 3, 2, 1 go and then sweeps her hand wore a panda Tudor.

In my defence the camera zoomed in on her hand not just my eyes, its……………..just that I made the connection which I bet 99% of viewers will not

High-definition television in the United Kingdom is available via cable, IPTV, satellite and terrestrial television. The first high-definition broadcasts began in late 2005 and since then the number of channels available to view has grown to a maximum of 87 that can be viewed on pay-TV service, Sky.

The majority of channels in the United Kingdom remain broadcast, and largely viewed, in standard-definition, but most major broadcasters have begun or are soon beginning their initial forays into high-definition television. Similarly, the vast majority of viewing still takes place in standard-definition, though penetration of high-definition displays and receivers is increasing.

High-definition broadcasts are available on satellite services: Freesat, Freesat from Sky and Sky; cable services Smallworld Cable and Virgin TV and terrestrial Freeview HD.

Wikipedia
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    100% guilty of the this. Yesterday was the opening day of the Gira d Italia cycle race. The race started with a time trial sponsored by Tudor. The lady who counts down with her fingers 5,4 , 3, 2, 1 go and then sweeps her hand wore a panda Tudor.

In my defence the camera zoomed in on her hand not just my eyes, its……………..just that I made the connection which I bet 99% of viewers will not
    If the panda chrono I would of thought that was far to big on a woman’s wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    If the panda chrono I would of thought that was far to big on a woman’s wrist.
    You didn’t see the lady ;) ;) ;)

Even our local BBC news has switched to HD (channel 101), thought this was the norm for major channels on terrestrial now.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The majority of channels in the United Kingdom remain broadcast, and largely viewed, in standard-definition, but most major broadcasters have begun or are soon beginning their initial forays into high-definition television. Similarly, the vast majority of viewing still takes place in standard-definition, though penetration of high-definition displays and receivers is increasing.
    I think that the biggest limitation to terrestrial tv channels in the UK is bandwidth. High Definition channels require a lot more information than standard definition and as terrestrial channels are still transmitted via aerial the amount of information available is quite restricted. Obviously the likes of Sky can provide far more HD channels due to the signals being transmitted either via satellite or more recently optical fibre broadband but this is obviously costly and hence the subscription fees. It could be argued that it's another example of the discrepancy between the "haves" and the "have nots". That said, I'd rather be outside than stuck inside watching tv.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

Ah! I did notice her watch, and thought 'that's nice!' ....but I'm a sucker for reverse Pandas! Didn't make the Tudor connection though, so thanks for that! Do you think she wore it on her right wrist to make sure it was visible to the main cameras??? Certainly a much more interesting Time Trial than normal - much more interesting than the redundant tripe on the main channels....

Yep, watching on BBC1 via Virginmedia Tivo box there were glitches in the sound (brief muting) throughout. Also, my Sony TV kept displaying the temporary banner it normally shows when you change channel (for no apparent reason) on some scene changes. Definitely something fishy going on with the transmission.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Yep, watching on BBC1 via Virginmedia Tivo box there were glitches in the sound (brief muting) throughout. Also, my Sony TV kept displaying the temporary banner it normally shows when you change channel (for no apparent reason) on some scene changes. Definitely something fishy going on with the transmission.
    I seem to be getting an unusual number of glitches in the picture on my Virgin Tivo box at the moment (picture & sound) - can't comment on the coronation, but I've been getting a lot on Eurosport in recent days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Thank you all for the reassurance , it’s not my end.
    I watched via Freesat BBC1 HD and the sound variations I experienced were exactly as reported by others .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I was in Germany. Nicer weather there
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The first high-definition broadcasts began in late 2005 and since then the number of channels available to view has grown to a maximum of 87 that can be viewed on pay-TV service, Sky.

Wikipedia
    Strange - I seem to recall they started in June 2006 or just before the World Cup that year and there was a big rush for HD TVs at the time because of the World Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Even our local BBC news has switched to HD (channel 101), thought this was the norm for major channels on terrestrial now.
    So has ours (midlands) but it’s not in HD.
    Watch the main news at 6 o’clock and see how the HD picture is turned on and off during the broadcast.
    Makes my piss fizz

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    So has ours (midlands) but it’s not in HD.
    Watch the main news at 6 o’clock and see how the HD picture is turned on and off during the broadcast.
    Makes my piss fizz
    I’ll have to check ours (East), just assumed was in HD now.

Someone has said in a previous thread that due to licence requirements they could only broadcast HD on HD channels, not sure how true that is though.

Not too fussed TBH, saves having to switch channels to avoid the daft dancing or whatever is on instead of the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, and it means for the first time since arriving in NL that we don’t get that {}#%^ screen with background sounds during the 15/30 minutes of Local News, instead we now get BBC London News in Haarlem

Craftsman

Yes, I had this too. I switched to ITV and Sky for the better quality sound, but thought the BBC presentation was better.

Craftsman
    Like most of the population I watched the Coronation and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, and I admit this makes me even sadder than a watch nerd, I noticed that the Archbishop of Canterbury wore a very ordinary watch and due to the close up camera work and a sharp TV picture I could easily read the time on his watch during the ceremony. So I followed the programme gawping at his watch.

I shall probably start doing this on other TV programmes. Does anyone do this?
    Yes, I do this all the time for anything I watch on TV and it’s infuriating. I have to stop because I sometimes end up googling it just to be sure