closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance!

Car Insurance!

Anyone else getting huge price rises for their car insurance?

I paid £600 last year, nothing has changed and the quotes are coming back around £2k! It is not due until the end of May but it is just another bill that has increased dramatically! I will do some shopping around but the 2 comparison sites I tried were all a similar price.

That sounds an unlikely leap? Have you had a significant birthday recently?

Craftsman
    Mine went up but not to that level. Had a 25% increase on last years premium which is bad enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had significant increases from Admiral this year, having been largely static for the last couple.

Mine’s gone from £185 to £275, hers from £600 to £1000.

I’ve shopped around, but can only get it about £30 cheaper from a couple of companies I’ve never heard of, so’ll probably stay with. She’s found a sensible price from Hastings.

Its our youngest son’s 17th birthday today so I added him to my car insurance - held my breath but the premium didn’t change… result!
    No doubt it will be a different story when he passes his test though.

Master
    Mine went from £500(ish) to a £750 renewal. I did a quick compare the market thing and quotes were anywhere from £400-£600. Sadly, I must have waited too long because when Mine actually lapsed and I went back to comparisons, they were all £600+

Mine has dropped for 2 years straight - just over £400 fully comp with RAC recovery, NFU Mutual.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My renewal came through from admiral for our two cars by email. Forgot to challenge the increase like I usually do and only realised the day after it was automatically renewed. I called them anyway and spoke to a very nice woman who managed to drop it back to £21 more than the year before. Why do they play these games? If I had not have done that they would have had another £200 off us. Fair play that even after it had renewed they discounted but I shouldn’t have to do this every year.

Not a Range Rover by any chance ? Many insurers are now not even quoting on them or ridiculous increases. They are fed up of the ease with which they are stolen

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Not a Range Rover by any chance ? Many insurers are now not even quoting on them or ridiculous increases. They are fed up of the ease with which they are stolen

I went from an Audi S8 to a Range Rover Sport and my premium went from £750 to £1250!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Anyone else getting huge price rises for their car insurance?

I paid £600 last year, nothing has changed and the quotes are coming back around £2k! It is not due until the end of May but it is just another bill that has increased dramatically! I will do some shopping around but the 2 comparison sites I tried were all a similar price.
    Yep, also end of May, £790 to £1350 FFS, and the renewal is cheaper than anywhere else!

Renewed beginning of May. Renewal price was a 50% increase. Shopped around and got it down to a 30% increase.

Journeyman

Trawling the Comparision Sites

Hi

Martin Lewis, Money Savings Expert, (ML) recommends doing the iterations no later than 4weeks before renewal for the better pricing, because as you close to renewal they will go up.

Sure its a pain doing the 3 main Comparision websites - ML has a nifty starter 'sieve' that is helpful, and it is always worth calling your existing provider if you have found a cheaper quote for a discussion/negotiation.

I gave details of the 2nd chariot to them and they offered a £30+ refund at the date of renewal (4 weeks later) bringing it down to less than last years figure of £185!

PS - in any coversation with Insurance Providers (IP), first 2 points - no auto renewal, and no spurious contact!, and get the full name of the person just in case ye need to chase up 'errors'!
    PPS - if changing IP, also check that NCB will be confirmed via letter/email after policy lapses - some internet based Insurers want this within a time period and cannot/will not check the insurance database that some can/do!

L-K

The car is a m240, looking on Bmw groups seems a common issue with insurance spiking this year

Master
    It's the price you pay to get all those BMW exemptions like no signalling and no speed limits etc. :)

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Think as people have said it’s car specific. My wife drives a new golf and she’s 39. Her insurance is £22 a month which came down from £28 a month last year. Crazy how cheap she gets insurance for, I’m sure they got rid of the bias towards women etc but obviously not.

Master
    My M140 doesn’t renew until December but currently only paying £280. I’m expecting an increase. Wife only pays £168 for a JCW Mini.
    Guess us oldies benefit sometimes!

Master
    Just had a quote 13% up from Churchill Plus for my 2019 BMW 320D Touring which needs renewing in a couple of weeks.

So, 40' spent searching on confused.com with a small reduction in annual mileage to a realistic level as the only change, resulted in a policy offer 12% down on last year, plus a £20 voucher from Halfords from the comparison site. There were some very minor swings and roundabouts alterations in excesses, and I gained a significant courtesy car benefit.

A good half of that 40' was actually spent carefully checking what the cover actually included on the old and new policies, since I was surprised to end up paying that much less.

I only signed into my Churchill account after I'd got the quote, but it did show on my account dashboard when I did, along with the renewal quote. Maybe they're running a new account offer via confused.com which they have to honour?

At the time I bought last year's policy I had spent a while comparing the options among the various Which-recommended insurers, and the Churchill policy I bought gave the best value for the features of use to me. This time I could have saved around 30 quid by switching to Aviva, with a few swings and roundabouts differences, but Churchill otherwise gives the best price (well, it does after jumping through confused.com's hoop, anyway) and I do find them good to deal with.

I’ve just done ours, Mercs GLC and CLS plus Nissan E-NV200 van.
    Aviva multi car quoted £1250 (after multi car discount) but would reduce it to £1177.

Three separate policies totalled £811 plus nearly £120 cashback!

No brainier really but Aviva were apparently very keen to keep my business.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve just done ours, Mercs GLC and CLS plus Nissan E-NV200 van.
    Aviva multi car quoted £1250 (after multi car discount) but would reduce it to £1177.

Three separate policies totalled £811 plus nearly £120 cashback!

No brainier really but Aviva were apparently very keen to keep my business.
    Interesting. I'll certainly try them next year and I'll include a bit of phone pressure as well.
    With the reduction I'd got online it didn't seem worth spending even more time on it now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    My M140 doesn’t renew until December but currently only paying £280. I’m expecting an increase. Wife only pays £168 for a JCW Mini.
    Guess us oldies benefit sometimes!
    I’m 47 and pay £160 for my Cayman GTS, the smart costs the same strangely.

Am sure both will go up along with the wife’s after her speeding ticket. Grrrr

Craftsman
    Loots of people on the M140/M240i and the Golf R forums are complaining of massive hikes in their insurance, so it may be car specific. A lot of them seem to be getting written off or stolen, and this seems to have caused the huge spike in premiums.

Craftsman
    Had a recent claim and 3 points for speeding in December
    Car insurance went down from £110 last year to £80
    It is a classic policy but nice all the same

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m 47 and pay £160 for my Cayman GTS, the smart costs the same strangely.

Am sure both will go up along with the wife’s after her speeding ticket. Grrrr
    My quote for the (older model) Boxster S is also £160.

For comparison, £250 for the Supra GR; same £160 for a bloody Yaris, though it’s a fun GR model (& somehow higher road tax than a 3.0 Turbo Supra hmmm); and £235 for the 330e.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    After 3 years with a premium fixed at £32.24 (insurer only discovered the pricing error after the policy started :) ), its gone up to £118pa fixed for another 3 yrs. Shouldn't complain too much I suppose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    Loots of people on the M140/M240i and the Golf R forums are complaining of massive hikes in their insurance, so it may be car specific. A lot of them seem to be getting written off or stolen, and this seems to have caused the huge spike in premiums.
    I've got a G42 M240iX, and had a MK8 Golf R before that, and this year's renewal saw Admiral wanting a near 60% increase. I went with Aviva as they only wanted a 30% increase albeit with a lower excess even if Admiral magically dropped their price to match Aviva when challenged. All the comparison sites were looking for at least 100% more and some of the direct insurers wouldn't quote at all.

Master
    Just got my Volvo xc60 renewal from Hastings nothings changed from last year but it’s gone from £220-£440 i will start looking around again

Where do you all live to get these low rates?! My Volvo xc90 in London went from 600 to 1200, unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    My quote for the (older model) Boxster S is also £160.

For comparison, £250 for the Supra GR; same £160 for a bloody Yaris, though it’s a fun GR model (& somehow higher road tax than a 3.0 Turbo Supra hmmm); and £235 for the 330e.
    It is strange how it all works, I cannot work it out.

Be interesting to see what effect my wife’s 3 points for speeding has across our 3 cars come renewal time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Where do you all live to get these low rates?! My Volvo xc90 in London went from 600 to 1200, unbelievable.

Binfield, Berkshire.

Full no claims, parked on drive overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Binfield, Berkshire.

Full no claims, parked on drive overnight.

Mines no claims and parked on drive overnight!

I was looking at quotes for our new Mazda 3 and originally entered a random start date of 27 May.

Now I know the date is more likely to be 2 June I searched again and it's coming out £50 dearer for starting the policy 6 days later. WTF is that about?

I put it back to 27 May again and the quote went back down to the original price?!? I guess I'll be starting it on 27 May then.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post

My cars are on the Isle of Man, so I guess very limited chase of them being truly stolen ( especially if reported stolen), unless I’m driving them in the UK or Europe of course, as all vehicles are checked getting on the ferry.

Motorbike policies are better for me/here though, as for £25 I can add each additional bikes, as long as the insurance for that bike would be less than most most expense bike to insure - a much better system imo.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm moving house to a place which is more protected, safer, private parking. For this my insurance has been nearly doubled. That's one customer they've lost at renewal.

Master

Car Insurance!

Insurance the same as previous year £280 , fully comprehensive , Merc E350 coupe . Can’t complain really .

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 21st May 2023 at 15:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Just got my Volvo xc60 renewal from Hastings nothings changed from last year but it’s gone from £220-£440 i will start looking around again
    Just went on to go compare and the lowest quote was £450-£600 looks like I will have to stay with Hastings, Hastings couldn't explain the increase doesn't make any sense

I wrote my car off - my fault - about three months ago and last week received my renewal notice. They're now asking for an increase of 75% on last year's premium (it's a multicar policy with two vehicles on it)

Master
    Just another one to add to the list - doubled since last year, nothing changed apart from me getting another year older.
    That "valid to" date on the licence used to look so far away :(

Master
    When I went on go compare they are now asking how many days a week you drive at peak times

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Discovery 5 with LV. Last year was c.£800. This year they quoted £1100+. I cancelled the renewal, hastily, then shopped around and couldn't get it any cheaper. Ended up paying more in fact, as LV wouldn't honour the renewal quote. So I begrudgingly started a new policy with M&S which was more expensive at c.£1300. Then I added a new (second) car to the policy, switched to Admiral multicar, and have a new ID3 and the D5 on the same policy for the same price as the M&S policy I'd switched to for the D5! One of the annual jobs I loathe is sorting insurances!

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Discovery 5 with LV. Last year was c.£800. This year they quoted £1100+. I cancelled the renewal, hastily, then shopped around and couldn't get it any cheaper. Ended up paying more in fact, as LV wouldn't honour the renewal quote. So I begrudgingly started a new policy with M&S which was more expensive at c.£1300. Then I added a new (second) car to the policy, switched to Admiral multicar, and have a new ID3 and the D5 on the same policy for the same price as the M&S policy I'd switched to for the D5! One of the annual jobs I loathe is sorting insurances!
    I use comparison websites (like most, I suppose). I also get a couple of others for good measure and make my choice. It doesn’t mean I choose the cheapest as there are other factors that may swing the decision. But importantly I receive a new best quote the following year, which helps avoiding the sort of knee jerk reaction illustrated above

That said, our main car and our home are insured with NFU and while far from being the cheapest we have nothing but good words to say about them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Just noticed this thread, this is one that I suspect I can trump. My RS3 8Y was £760 to insure last year through the AA. My renewal came through in April this year, no claims, no incidents, a year older and - wait for it - £3,900. Car is alarmed, has a tracker, a ghost, and parked on my drive which is covered with CCTV so as secure as I can make it. Needless to say I looked around on-line and ended up paying £1,100, still a big increase but slightly more bearable.

Shopped around this year and nearly halved the premium from £440 to £240. Low crime area, garaged and not a fast car (although it is a soft top)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Paying £275 for the X3 and £147 for the TR6 which includes agreed value £28k

Master
    Most insurers still go for a "try on" at renewal and magically discounts are available when you say you will leave as have far better quotes elsewhere.

That having been said, because car prices are still crazily high and the cost of repairs has gone up, it is no surprise that premiums are increasing generally.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Most insurers still go for a "try on" at renewal and magically discounts are available when you say you will leave as have far better quotes elsewhere.
    I was hoping that might be the case, so when I rang to say I'll be canceling at renewal, all they said was thanks very much, that's all been done, goodbye.!

Craftsman
    Each year i renew my sons car insurance. He's been driving for 3 years now and been with the same company. I had left it till the last day of renewal (as completely forgot). A quick Google search prior to calling insurer and getting quotes for around 1k (fully comp), his renewal was for £875. When I connected with the advisor I said I had been given a cheaper quote elsewhere. I plucked a cheeky figure of £540, she politely asked me to hold the line and after around 1 minute she returned and said the best they could offer was £519. I was blown away and nearly fell on the floor, without showing too much emotion I politely accepted the offer and paid there and then

Can't understand how these companies work. I've read lots of advice about the best times to haggle for renewal prior to a policy lapsing, so there doesn't seem rhyme or reason how they think. Anyway good result for my son (for me as I paid the bill), I did try similar tact when my van insurance was up for renewal albeit on a far far less cheeky quote elsewhere and got nowhere, not even a penny reduction :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post

That having been said, because car prices are still crazily high and the cost of repairs has gone up, it is no surprise that premiums are increasing generally.
    It’s not so much as a try on, they renew you on the same policy as you had previously. The magically cheaper policy is usually because it’s under a new policy binder even with the same underwriter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    It’s not so much as a try on, they renew you on the same policy as you had previously. The magically cheaper policy is usually because it’s under a new policy binder even with the same underwriter.

My experience has been it's a try on. Under FCA rules, which took force from 1 January 2022, insurers must: Offer renewing customers the same price as new customers. So you shouldn't pay any more when renewing than someone with a similar risk profile who's taking out a new policy.

I've renewed 3 car insurance policies this year and all 3 had magic discount when looking to cancel, of up to 25% and all 3 were advertising cheaper rates if I sought a dummy quote online with my renewal needs but as if I was my next door neighbour.

At least it wasn't just me!

I ended up going with A-Plan, like for like cover for £800 a year, Admiral would not budge on their renewal price, compare the market was all around £1500+