closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Snetterton in the Exige Sport 410

Snetterton in the Exige Sport 410

Had a great day on Monday. Conditions were mixed, but mostly dry.

A couple of videos if you're interested

Chasing down a load of Caterham Sevens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zA5i12abaI

and my best lap of the day on a nice clear track right at the end of the day

https://youtu.be/yBik4WLBmNM
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Looks mean out on track!

I really must try snetterton but it's just so far away.

Craftsman
    Looks great fun.

Finally got my 350 Exige out of storage on Monday - been sitting in a friends garage since 30 November 2022 !

Really need to use it more but life, work, kids, etc all seem to get in the way. Had it nearly 6 years now and not managed to get on track once.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Looks great fun.

Finally got my 350 Exige out of storage on Monday - been sitting in a friends garage since 30 November 2022 !

Really need to use it more but life, work, kids, etc all seem to get in the way. Had it nearly 6 years now and not managed to get on track once.
    Similar issue here. Have had my Caterham since new in 2007, and only covered 16,000 miles. Could never get rid of it though. Plenty of other faster things out there but not with the combination of speed, sound and experience.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Nice! This is one of the moments I like videos! Thanks!

The Exige is the first car my youngest drove after passing his driving exam. No kidding.

He has a small job during the school/uni holidays and on Saturdays. His boss is related to the Lotus distributor here in the Netherlands. And he drives an... Exige. So after showing his fresh drivers license, his boss told him to start the car "It's just like an ordinary car. Just pedals, gear shift and steering. Go on!" My son drove, his boss was 'riding shotgun'. They did a 2x 25km long trip to the north and back.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love it!!

I sold my VX220 SC during lockdown and bought it back last year, first TD in it since 2019 this month cannot wait!!!

Did some with my mates Atom last year but never the same as your own car.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good video. Nice and smooth driving if I may say.

What was the white coupe that was eating everything up? A C63s??

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Nice! This is one of the moments I like videos! Thanks!

The Exige is the first car my youngest drove after passing his driving exam. No kidding.

He has a small job during the school/uni holidays and on Saturdays. His boss is related to the Lotus distributor here in the Netherlands. And he drives an... Exige. So after showing his fresh drivers license, his boss told him to start the car "It's just like an ordinary car. Just pedals, gear shift and steering. Go on!" My son drove, his boss was 'riding shotgun'. They did a 2x 25km long trip to the north and back.
    Brilliant and a lucky lad. Respect!

Jim

Stunning car and lovely, enviable smooth pedalling! I also have 1st TD since pre-pandemic booked for this weekend.

I have a question to OP and others: when I did my first bit of track instruction many years ago at 17 (and subsequent days of off road and rally instruction in the years since), it has more often than not been encouraged by instructors to have thumbs along the steering wheel rim, rather than gripped around.

This just got me wondering if anyone else follows this practice, or even spared it a second thought?

I daresay on at least one occasion whilst on (then whilst quickly spinning off ) track and multiple time whilst green-laning/pay and play days, it has prevented me spending 6-8 weeks, strapped up looking like I'm constantly trying to thumb a lift or impersonating Jimmy Krankie.

Received wisdom is to grip (reasonably lightly) the wheel at 3 & 9 oclock & not move. I need to move my hands a bit to wind on a lot of lock in the Exige due to the heavy steering.

Best just to do what comes naturally, unless that's the old push, pull technique.

Grab some instruction.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Good video. Nice and smooth driving if I may say.

What was the white coupe that was eating everything up? A C63s??

Jim
    Looked like an E92 M3 to me.

Black Breitling Aerospace?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Looked like an E92 M3 to me.
    I think you're right. There were a couple of heavily modified M3's going very quickly.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Black Breitling Aerospace?
    Very good - Evo Night Mission to be precise.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm no driving champ so take with a lump of salt.

Lighter touch is better is the rule of thumb (pun of the year award 2023), but I think it's whatever feels best.

Rotational steering is more important to me, 9&3 locked with crossing over rather than the hamster w@nking shuffle.

Steering with the throttle helps with heavy steering, but you might be sitting too far from the wheel and strong with shoulders rather than arms. I brought my wheel 50mm closer to help with this but have no airbag

Always enjoy these, thanks Andy! A few novice observations:
    • You seem to have the Caterhams (on the annual Caterham day out) for straight-line speed, but they've got you elsewhere (I'm thinking sky-blue Neale here).
    • Wide-boy in badly-sprayed red/black "Corsa"+spoiler looks like he took a wrong turn and ended up on the track, he was standing still.
    • The poser sports cars (e.g. Aston) look pedestrian by comparison.
    • Will most of these be road-worthy, meaning the owners drive them to / from the track?
    • Which buttons on the dash release the oil and tacks ?!

Looking forward to fastest lap vid later.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    you might be sitting too far from the wheel and strong with shoulders rather than arms. I brought my wheel 50mm closer to help with this but have no airbag
    You have a point. I’m as close to the wheel / pedals as I can get without a booster cushion of sorts. I did consider a spacer for the steering wheel, but just decided to work round it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Always enjoy these, thanks Andy! A few novice observations:
    • You seem to have the Caterhams (on the annual Caterham day out) for straight-line speed, but they've got you elsewhere (I'm thinking sky-blue Neale here).
    • Wide-boy in badly-sprayed red/black "Corsa"+spoiler looks like he took a wrong turn and ended up on the track, he was standing still.
    • The poser sports cars (e.g. Aston) look pedestrian by comparison.
    • Will most of these be road-worthy, meaning the owners drive them to / from the track?
    • Which buttons on the dash release the oil and tacks ?!

Looking forward to fastest lap vid later.
    Some of the Caterhams were quicker in the corners, but not many, which is unusual.

The Aston’s etc are nice road cars but too heavy for track.

Most of the cars were driven there and home. I’ve done that with all my track cars. Trailering a track bike was one thing, but I’m not up for trailering a car. I’ve no space for a car trailer anyway.
    Last edited by andy tims; 4th May 2023 at 20:46.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57