closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The EV revolution...

Master

The EV revolution...

Shocked to read this from Volvo

Volvo, which is heavily banking on producing electric cars under its own brand and sub-brand Polestar, admitted the carbon footprint cost of producing a new EV can be 26 tonnes or more. Meanwhile an ICE equivalent would be 6 tons.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post

Volvo, which is heavily banking on producing electric cars under its own brand and sub-brand Polestar, admitted the carbon footprint cost of producing a new EV can be 26 tonnes or more. Meanwhile an ICE equivalent would be 6 tons.
    Why did you not link to the entire article, or include the concluding paragraphs?

Electric cars are getting better all the time, with improved ranges and increased affordability. It’s expected they will achieve price-parity with ICE around 2025, but with offerings like the award-winning MG4 EV family crossover costing about the same as a Ford Focus, and further new Chinese entries due in the market, as well as the EV price-war recently ignited by Tesla slashing prices by over 10% on some of its models, this is already happening.

Electric cars are more energy efficient, 85-90% compared to just 17-21% efficiency for ICE vehicles, while they are carbon-intensive to produce, over the longer run, they will be better for the environment. Production costs will come down, as well energy costs, and supply will be cleaner with more renewable energy sources coming online.

EVs are also ideal for those that can charge at home with a smart meter utilising low-cost electricity. Home owners that install solar panels can save even more, plus, as car-to-home charging starts to become available, when electricity is at peak rates, it will be possible to use the EV to send electricity back to your house, essentially turning your car into a domestic energy storage device!

While EVs rapidly use up charge on longer journeys at motorway speeds, drive them in town in heavy traffic and they actually recoup energy astonishingly well, so you can actually achieve much higher ranges in town than you would expect. Plus, they are cheaper and less complex to maintain as well as boasting excellent performance.

While the EV revolution may appear to be stalling, it’s farer to say it’s normalising. EVs remain worthwhile contenders for your shortlist. Just make sure they’re the right choice for you at this time.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    EVs are still middle class toys. Long way to go!

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Using the car for energy storage is an interesting one - a lot cheaper than the equivalent amount of home battery storage too!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

New tech is always more expensive and more laborious than old tech but the lines cross very quickly.

Electric is gonna win, it just isn’t in doubt!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post

my i3 isn't a middle class toy - it's great for most of our journeys which short trips - in that respect it's the best car that we have had

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Why did you not link to the entire article, or include the concluding paragraphs?
    I suspect we all know why, usual MO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post

I’m picking up a 1.5 year old Skoda Enyaq on Wednesday. It cost me 28K. A new (cheapest entry level) Honda Civic is 29K. Is that a car for the middle classes too?

The EV revolution...

Electric cars are more energy efficient, 85-90% compared to just 17-21% efficiency for ICE vehicles, while they are carbon-intensive to produce, over the longer run, they will be better for the environment. Production costs will come down, as well energy costs, and supply will be cleaner with more renewable energy sources coming online.
    astonishingly well, so you can actually achieve much higher ranges in town than you would expect. Plus, they are cheaper and less complex to maintain as well as boasting excellent performance.
    It’s not clear the meaning of your highlighted section - I understand it to mean that in future EVs will be better for the environment (not that an individual car bought now will be) and so RM does have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It’s not clear the meaning of your highlighted section - I understand it to mean that in future EVs will be better for the environment (not that an individual car bought now will be) and so RM does have a point.
    The article indicates that cars bought now might take around five years to be more CO2 friendly than running an ICE based on the Volvo statement, so they don't make much environmental sense yet for those with low average mileage. It also says that EVs have an expected lifespan in excess of ten years and/or 100,000 miles. I see numerous EVs at work that are well over five years old and higher mileage so I guess that they are now doing their bit. I asked a chap with a ten year old Leaf about battery degradation, his was still at 95%.

What the highlighted part means is that the carbon footprint is front loaded into its manufacture. Once it’s out on the road being used, the carbon footprint is much less per mile than an ICE vehicle. Therefore, at some point in the EVs lifecycle, it’s total carbon footprint will be equal to and then less than the total carbon footprint of the ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    What the highlighted part means is that the carbon footprint is front loaded into its manufacture. Once it’s out on the road being used, the carbon footprint is much less per mile than an ICE vehicle. Therefore, at some point in the EVs lifecycle, it’s total carbon footprint will be equal to and then less than the total carbon footprint of the ICE.
    And, while this is by no means guaranteed, it's fair to assume manufacturing, shipping, and other such processes will become more efficient as time goes on. It's normal for a newly developed product to become more efficient to produce over time, which will help reduce costs and should also reduce environmental impact.

We have to remember it's still very early on in the overall lifecycle of EV's at scale, so if the environmental impact can break even in single-digit years this early, that's a positive sign for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    And, while this is by no means guaranteed, it's fair to assume manufacturing, shipping, and other such processes will become more efficient as time goes on. It's normal for a newly developed product to become more efficient to produce over time, which will help reduce costs and should also reduce environmental impact.

We have to remember it's still very early on in the overall lifecycle of EV's at scale, so if the environmental impact can break even in single-digit years this early, that's a positive sign for the future.
    Have costs of cars come down over time?

From the article the OP cherry picked from:

“Electric cars are getting better all the time, with improved ranges and increased affordability. It’s expected they will achieve price-parity with ICE around 2025, but with offerings like the award-winning MG4 EV family crossover costing about the same as a Ford Focus, and further new Chinese entries due in the market, as well as the EV price-war recently ignited by Tesla slashing prices by over 10% on some of its models, this is already happening.”

From the article the OP cherry picked from:

“Electric cars are getting better all the time, with improved ranges and increased affordability. It’s expected they will achieve price-parity with ICE around 2025, but with offerings like the award-winning MG4 EV family crossover costing about the same as a Ford Focus, and further new Chinese entries due in the market, as well as the EV price-war recently ignited by Tesla slashing prices by over 10% on some of its models, this is already happening.”
    All cars, not EVs.

It's a fair counter... I'd say it's the range of prices that has changed, rather than the cost of a given car. We have to take it as a given that all goods will increase in price over time, partly through inflation, but in the case of cars it's also partly through the things manufacturers are mandated to include (safety features, for example) that prohibit a true low-cost car.

But, as that article suggests, while EV's started out in the premium / luxury / prohibitively expensive segments only, we're increasingly seeing more affordable brands appear. It won't take long until there's even more competition and choice in that segment and the like-for-like comparison to ICE cars levels out. Sure, overall, cars are getting more expensive, but there will soon come a time when the drivetrain isn't the deciding factor of a cars cost.

That said, it could swing the other way, as EV's become the norm and fewer ICE cars are made for the mainstream. You can see it already, with cars like the Fiesta, Focus, Golf, and other mainstream 'affordable' (relative terms) cars all being phased out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What ?? Mo?? Explain please

Master

Electric cars are getting better all the time, with improved ranges and increased affordability. It’s expected they will achieve price-parity with ICE around 2025, but with offerings like the award-winning MG4 EV family crossover costing about the same as a Ford Focus, and further new Chinese entries due in the market, as well as the EV price-war recently ignited by Tesla slashing prices by over 10% on some of its models, this is already happening.

EVs are also ideal for those that can charge at home with a smart meter utilising low-cost electricity. Home owners that install solar panels can save even more, plus, as car-to-home charging starts to become available, when electricity is at peak rates, it will be possible to use the EV to send electricity back to your house, essentially turning your car into a domestic energy storage device!

While EVs rapidly use up charge on longer journeys at motorway speeds, drive them in town in heavy traffic and they actually recoup energy astonishingly well, so you can actually achieve much higher ranges in town than you would expect. Plus, they are cheaper and less complex to maintain as well as boasting excellent performance.

While the EV revolution may appear to be stalling, it’s farer to say it’s normalising. EVs remain worthwhile contenders for your shortlist. Just make sure they’re the right choice for you at this time.
    I didn't include the entire article as it was the 5x carbon footprint headline was something that a lot of people, including me, would not have expected...

You are obviously a convert, but I wonder on what basis.

Another thing in the article was "A major concern that arises from this is residual values. If battery packs degrade significantly, a replacement can cost at least £10,000 and as much as £20,000. At 10-years old that might well make a used EV an unviable proposition for sale." This makes me wonder what will happen to these vehicles when the owners are told it'll cost them 10k to replace the battery. Many I would imagine will trash the car and buy another. Not very good for the environment methinks.

I think ev are a stopgap and not a solution. And a bad for the environment stopgap at that.

Probably. What is the current equivalent cost of a model T? And those didn’t even have adaptive cruise.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Ok…

I didn't include the entire article as it was the 5x carbon footprint headline was something that a lot of people, including me, would not have expected...

Another thing in the article was "A major concern that arises from this is residual values. If battery packs degrade significantly, a replacement can cost at least £10,000 and as much as £20,000. At 10-years old that might well make a used EV an unviable proposition for sale." This makes me wonder what will happen to these vehicles when the owners are told it'll cost them 10k to replace the battery. Many I would imagine will trash the car and buy another. Not very good for the environment methinks.

I think ev are a stopgap and not a solution. And a bad for the environment stopgap at that.
    Oh, wait. Never mind.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

On the same basis as is concluded in the article: In the long run they are better for the environment. This is only getting better as more electricity is generated from renewables, battery technology improves and prices drop encouraging further take-up. And it's not just about climate change, I've lived in several cities that have suffered from vehicle emissions particulate pollution and the related impacts on public health, and I'd like to see that improve sooner rather than later. EVs are also great to drive and easy to maintain which is a bonus.

You can cherry-pick any quote out of context but that isn't going to change the facts. The times they are a-changin'

What I don’t get is why folk seem to focus on the cost of replacement batteries in EVs but completely disregard the cost of engines and gearboxes when talking about ICE vehicles?

https://topcarnews.net/tesla-says-ba...s-s237909.html

Admittedly not a totally objective source but 12% after 200k would be acceptable to most.

Master

Well apart from this covering it.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post

Ok…

Oh, wait. Never mind.
    Or this.

On the same basis as is concluded in the article: In the long run they are better for the environment. This is only getting better as more electricity is generated from renewables, battery technology improves and prices drop encouraging further take-up. And it's not just about climate change, I've lived in several cities that have suffered from vehicle emissions particulate pollution and the related impacts on public health, and I'd like to see that improve sooner rather than later. EVs are also great to drive and easy to maintain which is a bonus.

You can cherry-pick any quote out of context but that isn't going to change the facts. The times they are a-changin'
    There’s this

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Batley-school

Or this

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ect-Fear-again

Or

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...a-at-its-worst

Or

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Rejoin-the-EU!!

Or…

Master
    What I don’t get is why folk seem to focus on the cost of replacement batteries in EVs but completely disregard the cost of engines and gearboxes when talking about ICE vehicles?
    My current vehicle is coming up to 10 years old. If I was facing a bill of 10k + I'd just buy another car. I just can't see people paying that amount every 10 years or so. I wouldn't expect many ice cars to have that sort of expensive repair every 10 years

Master

Yawn...
    Interesting that you chose to edit your reply.

The original reply was
    Witch hunter?
    Are you a witch?

Master

The EV revolution...

My current vehicle is coming up to 10 years old. If I was facing a bill of 10k + I'd just buy another car. I just can't see people paying that amount every 10 years or so. I wouldn't expect many ice cars to have that sort of expensive repair every 10 years
    But this is not the case though. There are 12 year old 24kwh Nissan leafs still on the road and there are 11 year old 22kwh Renault Zoe’s still on the road.
    Now fast forward to today when your typical EV has a battery bigger than 50 kWh, it’s plain that they are going to be useful for well over 10 years.
    Even after their useful life in a car, the batteries will STILL have enough juice in them to be repurposed as home battery storage. It would literally be decades before they went to landfill.

Here you go. This is how long a battery can last.

https://insideevs.com/news/559261/te...00-kilometers/

OP, you do know that Volvo are a subsidiary of Geely

Why do you think an EV is going to cost £10k at ten years old? It’s no more likely than an ICE car.

I think that this is what my kids would refer to as an Epic Fail

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Yawn...
    The original reply was

Witch hunter?
    Are you a witch?
    Quelle surprise…
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 3rd May 2023 at 10:26. Reason: An attack of ‘The hunt of multiquoteo’

Master

Are you able to just debate rather than attack?

I've no axe to grind either way with EVs but it seems obvious me that they aren't helping the environment ATM . I'd agree that air quality in towns and cities could be improved by them but with 5x the carbon footprint of a non ev then somewhere the air quality will be a good deal worse and the atmosphere damaged further.

Also you quote that an EV will "catch up" with a non ev in around 5 years. But if each EV built is producing 5x the carbon then that is each year it will be as if 5 times as many cars are being manufactured. And logically in that case they will never catch up and will be much more damaging.

Master
    Why do you think an EV is going to cost £10k at ten years old? It’s no more likely than an ICE car.
    Because the article says batteries will have a life of approx 8-10 years on average, and that the cost of a new battery will be between 10k-20k

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I don't know Geely?

Master
    Quelle surprise…
    Curta gang member :0)

- - - Updated - - -

I think that this is what my kids would refer to as an Epic Fail
    Explain what you mean otherwise it makes no sense

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

The original reply was

Are you a witch?

Yes, I edited because I really shouldn't stoop to Mrcurta and other levels. It's supposed to be a Friendly Place to Discuss, as opposed to and argumentative place in which to attack ...( That's the bearpit)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    But this is not the case though. There are 12 year old 24kwh Nissan leafs still on the road and there are 11 year old 22kwh Renault Zoe’s still on the road.
    Now fast forward to today when your typical EV has a battery bigger than 50 kWh, it’s plain that they are going to be useful for well over 10 years.
    Even after their useful life in a car, the batteries will STILL have enough juice in them to be repurposed as home battery storage. It would literally be decades before they went to landfill.

Here you go. This is how long a battery can last.

https://insideevs.com/news/559261/te...00-kilometers/
    Only going by that article concerning Volvo. And that quoted the timescales. Of course there will be many exceptions but I think that was quoted generally.

Interested to know how they would be used for home use? Also I have seen some shocking fires regarding these batteries

Edit: just read the article you mentand they don't actually know how many batteries it has had

"The main question that comes to mind is whether the car is running on its original battery and drive units? Well, no.

As far as we know, the original battery pack had an issue after 290,000 km (180,000 miles) and was replaced under warranty. However, Tesla was initially figuring out the issue and installed a loaner battery, which was used for half a year or 150,000 km (93,000 miles). Then, Tesla installed a new, final battery. We don't have any info about any further replacements, so it might be the first 1 million km battery?"
    Last edited by redmonaco; 3rd May 2023 at 10:12.

Master

Are you able to just debate rather than attack?

I've no axe to grind either way with EVs but it seems obvious me that they aren't helping the environment ATM . I'd agree that air quality in towns and cities could be improved by them but with 5x the carbon footprint of a non ev then somewhere the air quality will be a good deal worse and the atmosphere damaged further.

Also you quote that an EV will "catch up" with a non ev in around 5 years. But if each EV built is producing 5x the carbon then that is each year it will be as if 5 times as many cars are being manufactured. And logically in that case they will never catch up and will be much more damaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by The article in question
    Volvo, which is heavily banking on producing electric cars under its own brand and sub-brand Polestar, admitted the carbon footprint cost of producing a new EV can be 26 tonnes or more. Meanwhile an ICE equivalent would be 6 tons, and just running your existing car puts out about 4.6 tonnes annually. You could run your current car for five years and put out less CO2 than buying a brand new EV would do.
    Running your current car with all of the embedded emissions in its manufacture, transport, maintenance & fuelling will be greener over the lifetime as it prevents another vehicle being brought onto the road but that’s not what you were arguing or what the article indicates. It indicates that the carbon footprint of the ev is weighted to the start of its lifecycle compared to a ICE vehicle & the crossover point is around year 5, personally I suspect closer to year 4.

As for the comments about new batteries in ten or so years that’s laughable, battery packs can be repaired or reused as home electricity storage, the old wives tails of them needing to be replaced at 5-10 years have already been proven as that.

The air quality will be poorer in one place where it’s concentrated and can be better dealt with. This could and should be away from the general population. In areas where there are people, the air quality is improved because the vehicles aren’t spewing out harmful emissions. It’s all been discussed many times before.

Once built, the ongoing carbon footprint of an EV is minimal whimsy that of an ICE is considerable. Over the life of the vehicles, the total carbon footprint of an ICE will be greater. The break even is give tears, after that, the total emissions from an ICE will continue to be even greater than that of an EV. It shouldn’t be too difficult to understand.

Because the article says batteries will have a life of approx 8-10 years on average, and that the cost of a new battery will be between 10k-20k
    The 8-10 year lifespan of a battery is not borne out by experience, they are lasting much longer. Even if a battery pack should fail, it’s not necessarily necessary to replace the whole pack, just the faulty cells, in much the same way as you don’t need to replace the whole engine because a spark plug fails!

As far as we know, the original battery pack had an issue after 290,000 km (180,000 miles) and was replaced under warranty. However, Tesla was initially figuring out the issue and installed a loaner battery, which was used for half a year or 150,000 km (93,000 miles). Then, Tesla installed a new, final battery. We don't have any info about any further replacements, so it might be the first 1 million km battery?"
    How many ICE engines reach 180,000 miles? Not that many I’d suggest. And how many ICE manufacturers would replace a 180,000 mile engine under warranty. I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing the number is something less than one!

Master
    How many ICE engines reach 180,000 miles? Not that many I’d suggest. And how many ICE manufacturers would replace a 180,000 mile engine under warranty. I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing the number is something less than one!
    As a quick sanity check I’ve looked at older higher mileage cars & as of today on Autotader vs <10 years old.

Less than ten years old is ~350,000 (21,500 ev’s) cars for sale.

Older than ten and it’s less than 1/3, it has ~92,670 (104 ev’s) for sale that are older than 2013 going back to 1900. The price spread is £300 - 10,000,000 (Astons & Ferrari) you have to drop down to ~£65k & a BMW 1 series M coupe as the first ‘sensible’ option.

422 are >200k £475 - 42,500 range from 200k to 484k miles

27,200 are 100 - 200k £400 - £100,000 (Think classic’s Porsche, Mercedes etc) the highest “normal” a Toyota Land Cruiser @ £35k on 153k miles.

Worrying over what may happen to 10 year old electric cars seems pointless tbh

Edit: I was intrigued how far down from £10,000,000 you had to drop to get away from Astons, Porches, Ferraris, M5’s M3’s,RS6’s, etc & classics. It seems to me it’s around the £15k mark with ~84,000 cars available.

Move on to 15 years old & you have to drop to ~£10k & there are only 22k available.

I guess my point is, the number 10yo bread & butter cars sold is relatively small & really drops off after 15 years so I wouldn’t let 10yo + battery performance keep me awake at night.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 3rd May 2023 at 12:55.

I don't know Geely?
    Anything published by a Geely company has an agenda, you should do your research

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geely

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Have multiple family members with Volvos who all love them but Geely is putting me off from buying one.

Master
    Running your current car with all of the embedded emissions in its manufacture, transport, maintenance & fuelling will be greener over the lifetime as it prevents another vehicle being brought onto the road but that’s not what you were arguing or what the article indicates. It indicates that the carbon footprint of the ev is weighted to the start of its lifecycle compared to a ICE vehicle & the crossover point is around year 5, personally I suspect closer to year 4.
    For a Volvo XC40 electric vs XC40 ICE the crossover is at 29k miles using completely a renewable source for recharging, 52k if you're charging it from the grid in the EU where much of the supplied electricity comes from renewables, and 90k if you're in somewhere like China where most of the grid supply comes from coal.

https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/-...eport-xc40.pdf