closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamilton Murph

Master

Hamilton Murph

Well it's been a long time since I lusted so much for a Watch, in fact I thought I'd almost kicked this filthy habit into touch, but I can't seem to shake this one off, they seem a lot of money compared to other hammy's, just interested to hear what other Murph owners think about this Watch??

Sent from my CPH2211 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I've owned both sizes. I had the big version with the Tesseract box and the morse code on the seconds hand. Loved it, but too big so eventually sold it.

Bought the 38mm as soon as it came out at the end of last year, and zero regrets. Comfortable (7-inch wrist), looks great, been dead accurate so far, very legible. Less reflective crystal than the old one. Only criticism: lume is not great.

To me it fills the perfect collection niche of a field watch, and I would happily buy it again without a second thought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eciton View Post
    I've owned both sizes. I had the big version with the Tesseract box and the morse code on the seconds hand. Loved it, but too big so eventually sold it.

Bought the 38mm as soon as it came out at the end of last year, and zero regrets. Comfortable (7-inch wrist), looks great, been dead accurate so far, very legible. Less reflective crystal than the old one. Only criticism: lume is not great.

To me it fills the perfect collection niche of a field watch, and I would happily buy it again without a second thought.
    Thanks... I was wondering what size to go for, I have a 7 1/2" Wrist that is more round than flat so I can get away with a smaller Watch, although I would say 42mm has always been what I would class as my sweet spot for some reason I'm leaning towards trying the 38mm, I suppose ideally it would be nice to try both Watches on if I could find somewhere close by with both Watches in stock.

I was very keen on the 38 for a little while, ultimately I felt it was overpriced considering you can get other Hamilton field watches for £350 second hand.

I certainly love the hands and the font, the 6 in particular is very pretty.

The 42 model has morse code on the minute hand, whereas the 38 doesn't, if that bothers you. Personally I have 7" wrists so the 38 was perfect for me.

If it was 500 I'd happily pick one up.

Journeyman
    Yes definitely Overpriced .Plenty of similar style and spec Hamiltons for less money.Cashing in on the bit of movie hype I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    Yes definitely Overpriced .Plenty of similar style and spec Hamiltons for less money.Cashing in on the bit of movie hype I think.
    Yes I agree, it certainly looks that way, which is a shame as I don't really give a stuff about the movie I just love the Watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjamie View Post
    I was very keen on the 38 for a little while, ultimately I felt it was overpriced considering you can get other Hamilton field watches for £350 second hand.

I certainly love the hands and the font, the 6 in particular is very pretty.

The 42 model has morse code on the minute hand, whereas the 38 doesn't, if that bothers you. Personally I have 7" wrists so the 38 was perfect for me.

If it was 500 I'd happily pick one up.
    I think you have just summed up my feelings on this, if it was £500 it would be a no brainer, I might go for another Khaki field second hand for £350ish, but definitely prefer the look of the Murph.

Lovely watch; silly price.

These have been discounted in some recent sales to around £590. CW Sellors had them in their last sale I believe. At that price I think it’s a good option.

Got one for the wife 3 years ago, mainly as she loves the film, she wears it quite a bit, does look very big on her though, but after a while she gets used to it, I’ve worn it too, I think the 38 would be too small for me.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...h-Interstellar
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    I had this watch but moved it on.

The size was nice - accurate and a real looker.

My only concern was that the numbers tended to disappear in low light. The luminous paint isn't strong, but I like to see something in low light. With this watch, they just disappeared into the dial, leaving the hands visible. This was something I really didn't like. Please note that my eyesight isn't the best, but even with glasses on, it was hard to see the numbers. I don't usually use my glasses to read my watch. Strangely enough, as the crystal has anti reflective coating, this only compounds the problem with the dark brown numerals.

The second is only a perception. The number 11 appears disproportionately small compared to the other digits. Again this may be my eyesight.

I think if they did a version with white numerals, then this might solve the visibility problem. I have watches with white numerals and even in low light, I can see them.

I bought the watch at full price the day it was released, not because of movie hype (I haven't seen the movie nor do I intend to) but because I love the dial and had a similar Pioneer Khaki that was great looking but at 42mm just too big and bulky (I flipped it).

I have two 38mm KFM watches, the brown dial and the Hodinkee version. The Murph just seems to be a different class watch, much more refined with the shorter lugs and a more comfortable watch overall. It also wears larger, maybe due to the less cluttered dial. I haven't found a strap that doesn't work on it.

It is one of my favorite watches now. If I lost it today I'd buy a replacement immediately.

My wrist is 7.25"

Master
    Thanks for the replies, I think I need to go and have a look at this Watch in the flesh and also compare the two sizes.

I think the long lugs (L2L) are the most important thing here. I tried several Hamiltons with the same dna design and the lugs are are deal breaker, at least for me (as the LLD) as I have rounded wrists so it just doesnt fit. But overall, I find the Murph design just beutiful.

Craftsman
    Don't think mine will be leaving the hoard anytime soon.

Really should try it on some alternative straps at some point.

If one could be had from an AD for £620, would that be too good to turn down?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think that's a good price.

Not if you sell it in a month for £500!

That’s a very good point :)

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Not if you sell it in a month for £500!

Tee Hee!
    Actually I’ve tried both sizes of this on and it left me a bit bemused. The original fits me better, but the new smaller version - which is think suits this style better - somehow felt a bit off - like they got the proportions of the original correct, but it hasn’t quite kept the same shape as it’s been shrunk, a bit like the smaller versions of the Panerai Luminor range. The lume was also very sub par on both. A watch I like, but I know I’d flip it fairly quickly!

Master
    Quite fancy one of these myself, but some sweet talking the boss has to be done first.

I saw one in a window this weekend. Thought it looked really good and the previous version looked like a dinner plate in comparison. I really like some of the Hamilton models, particular the vintage looking ones...the American Classic Intramatic and the pilot pioneer really appeal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I saw one in a window this weekend. Thought it looked really good and the previous version looked like a dinner plate in comparison. I really like some of the Hamilton models, particular the vintage looking ones...the American Classic Intramatic and the pilot pioneer really appeal.
    I called beaverbrooks near where I live today to see if they had both Watches in stock, suppose it was a big ask, anyway they had neither size in stock but went on to say they could get both in if I put a small deposit down, seems a faff, although 42mm has been my sweet spot for a number of years I'm leaning towards the 38mm on this Watch for some reason, maybe I'm thinking the smaller dimensions would suit this kind of watch better, plus I think my taste has shrunk a bit in watches and it would be more comfortable, I also like the fact the 38 has an AR coating on the Crystal.

Deposits to try watches on? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    I called beaverbrooks near where I live today to see if they had both Watches in stock, suppose it was a big ask, anyway they had neither size in stock but went on to say they could get both in if I put a small deposit down, seems a faff, although 42mm has been my sweet spot for a number of years I'm leaning towards the 38mm on this Watch for some reason, maybe I'm thinking the smaller dimensions would suit this kind of watch better, plus I think my taste has shrunk a bit in watches and it would be more comfortable, I also like the fact the 38 has an AR coating on the Crystal.

Master
    Deposits to try watches on? No thanks.
    Yes I thought the same to be honest, I spoke with Ernest Jones in Preston after that call and although they didn't have either Watches they was happy to have them sent from another store for me to try.

Just this. If I rang a car dealer to ask to test drive something and they told me they'd only let me if I put down a deposit they'd never hear from me again.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Yes I thought the same to be honest, I spoke with Ernest Jones in Preston after that call and although they didn't have either Watches they was happy to have them sent from another store for me to try.

Matt if you Close to Blackpool I've a 42 Murph you could try for size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    Matt if you Close to Blackpool I've a 42 Murph you could try for size.
    Pm sent