closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moon Swatch Collection

Moon Swatch Collection

They are not to my taste, but saw this in the Swatch shop in Krakow this week

Guess it would be pretty cool to have the set.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Did they have any models in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Or one very decent watch instead ;)

Grand Master

Moon Swatch Collection

They are not to my taste, but saw this in the Swatch shop in Krakow this week

Yeah I think so. (Neptune Now Also)

They all have the display case but rarely stock. But assured they arent limited!

Interesting note is that actual Speedmaster sales have increased significantly since launch and a suggestion that it introduces a younger demographic to watches and they subsequently aspire to own the real thing.

Talk of Seamaster or Blancpain FF collab following and this original launch was quite a groundbreaking gamble that looks to have paid off with over a million sold.

As an owner they are a plastic watch but they are also very cheap and do the job, they are alot of fun to wear, very light and funky and never a panic when wearing one about losing or damaging. Also angreat conversation piece and far more inclusive to the masses. Of course they dont replace one decent timepiece but they are not trying too.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Did they have any models in stock?
    About 5 different models in stock
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I saw them all (though they only had, I think it was 3 or 4 different ones to sell?) at Bangkok airport earlier this month.

Worked out at £242, wouldnt let you try it on though?! You had to just buy it! I may have done if they'd had the one I wanted.

Craftsman
    About 5 different models in stock
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    I saw them all (though they only had, I think it was 3 or 4 different ones to sell?) at Bangkok airport earlier this month.

Worked out at £242, wouldnt let you try it on though?! You had to just buy it! I may have done if they'd had the one I wanted.
    Seems to be better availability / lower demand than the UK

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

As an owner they are a plastic watch but they are also very cheap and do the job, they are alot of fun to wear, very light and funky and never a panic when wearing one about losing or damaging. Also angreat conversation piece and far more inclusive to the masses. Of course they dont replace one decent timepiece but they are not trying too.
    This, in spades!

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Even at list price, they're not a VERY cheap watch.

For what they actually are, they're vastly overpriced, but as you say, if you buy into the idea, they're a relatively affordable bit of fun, but you can get far better watches for significantly less without even venturing out of the Swatch shop!

Like many others, I was initially quite excited by the idea, but I'm really glad I didn't bother getting one.

To be fair, for me, Swatch soured the whole thing with their scalper supporting policies.

Still, I guess it paid of for them.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Wow pretty rare if they have a full set. I’ve been trying for months to get a mercury or moon version as I simply like them but have failed on every visit to one of their shops. Agree on the scalper element and I refuse to pay upwards of double the rrp so my search will continue

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I currently have 10 of them aside from the Neptune due to Swatch ‘doing a Rolex’ with that particular model. I also appreciate they are probably overpriced (for what they are - a bit like Eric Dier😅) are and that there are much better watches out there for far less but then again, who wants a watch box full of those when you get the added collectibility, desirability and a hint of rarity with the Moonswatch? I managed to buy two Mission to the Moons (I joined the queue at Oxford Street last Saturday afternoon): one for the collection and one to wear on a Bark & Jack grey NATO. Looks nice. 👍

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

For what they actually are, they're vastly overpriced, but as you say, if you buy into the idea, they're a relatively affordable bit of fun
    M
    Lets just consider this. A watch strap from most luxury manufacturers is £200. Thats £200 for a piece of leather.!!!

So £200 for a functional chronograph watch thats light and fresh and funky and affordable to the masses plus engages a younger generation into wearing a timepiece is, in my humble opinion, not bad!

They are fun, they are as mental value v build wise as any Rolex or luxury piece, they sell for over retail which again is mental but thats watches they are teapot batshit mad.

To suggest that they are rubbish is unfair, Ive spent more on a night out for 2 and shat it out the next day so money is not wasted here. Speedy sales are up, retail is benefiting, the economy in turn. Its all positive (unlike this forum at times)
    RIAC

By any stretch of the imagination, the Moonswatch is not a luxury item.

£200 for a leather strap is ridiculous, especially when you consider the same strap with the original makers name on is probably a 1/4 the price, but that doesn't justify the price of the Moonswatch.

As I say, Swatch themselves sell the same movement in a metal case for less than half the price!

For some, £250 is nothing, but in an objective sense, the Moonswatch isn't cheap for what you get, except the Omega name...and aside from the shape, there's nothing Omega in the Swatch.

M

Craftsman

For what they actually are, they're vastly overpriced, but as you say, if you buy into the idea, they're a relatively affordable bit of fun, but you can get far better watches for significantly less without even venturing out of the Swatch shop!

Like many others, I was initially quite excited by the idea, but I'm really glad I didn't bother getting one.

To be fair, for me, Swatch soured the whole thing with their scalper supporting policies.

Still, I guess it paid of for them.

M
    I also think they are affordable for most people but definitely not cheap.
    Cheap is a mechanical two register column wheel chrono in a nice stainless steel case for 180 Euros, thanks China.

Everyone is different and we all have free will but I wouldn’t buy another. I didn’t even keep or wear the one I had.

We can make the same arguments for a £200 watch Vs £20,000 watch re the utility of money, it’s all valid, only preference dictates.

Grand Master
    By any stretch of the imagination, the Moonswatch is not a luxury item.

£200 for a leather strap is ridiculous, especially when you consider the same strap with the original makers name on is probably a 1/4 the price, but that doesn't justify the price of the Moonswatch.

M
    £200 was the entry level, Panerai £300, AP £700, Perspective at its finest, some might say insanity, bravado, et al. From my experience of luxury you are always selling a image and sometimes selling a watch
    RIAC

Agreed, but Swatch is not a luxury brand and the Moonswatch owes nothing but its shape to Omega.

M

Shame you can’t buy the suitcase - as Omega did launch a number of collections in cases over the years. It might have been a nice buy to have them like that.
    It's just a matter of time...

It always amazes me that, when these are discussed, the criticism seems to be that they’re overpriced for what they are. Somehow paying £250 for a watch that might cost £25 to make is unacceptable but paying £8k for one that costs £500 to make is completely rational. There will always be cheaper options that do the job just as well, and in many cases better, we pay for what’s printed on the dial and the associated hype, has always been the case. If these bring the joys of watch ownership to a new generation they should be applauded as they may help extend the life of the industry.

They’re not very cheap, nor are they anywhere near the best watch at that price point. To me they’re just plastic tat, poorly made, and the strap is a joke. But, each to their own, everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had a Mars for a while, felt like something out of a Christmas cracker and the best thing about it was the box. If it inspires youngsters to look beyond smartwatch spywear that's a good thing, but it certainly wasn't for me.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    ,,. Somehow paying £250 for a watch that might cost £25 to make is unacceptable but paying £8k for one that costs £500 to make is completely rational...
    Not to me, it isn't, but maybe that's why I don't see the £250 plastic toy as good value either.

M

Interesting comment regarding the Moonswatch strap as the same strap with stainless steel work is available directly from Omega for just a little less than a MoonSwatch!

Some see the Moonswatch as an entry level Omega, I just see it as an expensive Swatch.
    And all this talk of attracting a younger audience ... When all I see is old men falling over themselves for a 2.5 grand full set of tat.

Like Swatch, owned many, but hate these things with a passion.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Some see the Moonswatch as an entry level Omega, I just see it as an expensive Swatch.
    And all this talk of attracting a younger audience ... When all I see is old men falling over themselves for a 2.5 grand full set of tat.

Like Swatch, owned many, but hate these things with a passion.
    Don’t hate Dave it’ll make you bitter, be happy its making others happy. Certainly not an entry level Omega, not one bit Omega other than the original drawing, Millions sold and a lot of fun
    RIAC

Journeyman
    I managed to get one from the Swatch shop in Battersea shopping centre, which was a surprise!

I have a feeling it was just good timing!

Olloydy