closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Royal Mail services

Master

Royal Mail services

They seem to be going down hill recently. I never had a problem with RMSD turning up on the dot the next day but this year I have been able to claim back postage on maybe 20% of deliveries because of lateness. Also I see that they now say that RM 48 should be delivered in 2-3 days...!!??!!

Master
    I ‘think’ it’s since I retired 😂

I don't like to moan about the RM but I am afraid that I have to agree with redmonaco based on recent experience. The thing that gets me, is I receive tracking emails which are simply untrue and useless. Here's today's.

Why send the bloody emails, if you can't guarantee the day? Clicking on the delivery options button, I can see my item is, at the time of writing, in ..... Exeter. FFS.

I now regularly discount these messages and assume it will be one or two days after the one specified.

Grand Master
    I don't have problems with RMSD except for the items sometimes arriving a little later than 1 o clock, that doesn't cause me any problems. The 48hr service is a bit of a pain when I can`t predict when things will arrive, Cousins use it for watch parts and it can cause me delays if they don't send the order out promptly and the post takes 2-3 days. Even though it's a signed for service I`d prefer it not to be, it's annoying if I miss a delivery. If I find I need a part on Monday it can be Thursday/Friday when it's with me. Gleaves are better, they use standard first class post and usually stuff arrives next day without delay.

I`m fortunate in having three excellent posties who deliver, they all know me and they'll have 2 goes at delivering if I don`t answer the door if my cars on the drive. I`ve fixed watches for 2 of them......that helps!

Craftsman
    My Postie tells Me RM don’t want the letters side of the business and are purposefully making it fail. Presumably in an effort to have the obligation to deliver letters six days a week taken off them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    RM here is excellent, although from what I hear, a lot of goodwill has been lost since the recent industrial dispute and many posties aren’t going the extra mile which means they take any undelivered post back to the sorting office once they have completed their contracted shift hours.

Bound to be down to 'skiving workers', I've heard...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Bound to be down to 'skiving workers', I've heard...

R
    Obviously, posting on forums & suchlike.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I’ve seen post delivery vans in our street as late as 7pm, usually the transport the ‘letter sized mail’ around with the postie who does the mail at the same time, always polite and helpful, and grateful if neighbours take mail in for each other.

Master
    Lose the goodwill of your workers and service decline is a bit inevitable. I fear it won't exist in 10 years, maybe less.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Royal Mail services

Cutting down on delivery staff, not replacing staff that have left . These small factors are bound to shag the service. It’s nice of RM to raise the cost of the service and only give half a service. You could complain to your local PM but o yes, I forgot they don’t give a damn either ,even though RM are in theory tied into a service obligation. Welcome to the reborn Royal Mail :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 27th April 2023 at 17:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Cutting down on delivery staff, not replacing staff that have left . These small factors are bound to shag the service. It’s nice of RM to raise the cost of the service and only give half a service. You could complain to your local PM but o yes, I forgot they don’t give a damn either ,even though RM are in theory tied into a service obligation. Welcome to the reborn Royal Mail :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Royal Mail was privatised against the advice of Margaret Thatcher who famously called it a privatisation too far. The end result is a demoralised management, an even more fed up workforce and a bunch of small investors who could not really give a damn.

Basically it is slowly dying after 350 glorious years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Royal Mail was privatised against the advice of Margaret Thatcher who famously called it a privatisation too far. The end result is a demoralised management, an even more fed up workforce and a bunch of small investors who could not really give a damn.

Basically it is slowly dying after 350 glorious years.
    A good few years out there Mick.

Did you leave before or after enjoying share saves & dividends?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    A good few years out there Mick.

Did you leave before or after enjoying share saves & dividends?
    I would rather have sold my soul to the devil than buy even one RM share. I left a few years before it all happened.

In the last month or so we’ve only been receiving Mail once a week, on a Friday. A waste of a first class stamp.

It's 20h20 on a Saturday over Easter weekend and it's dark outside. Royal Mail have just delivered a package from the USA that I bought on eBay. It took two days (plus) for UPS to get it from Texas to Chicago, another couple of days for it to be processed and cross the Atlantic, a day for customs etc in the UK and less than the 48h stipulated for RM to get it to me (more like a day). I'm pretty happy with that.

True, tracking other packages has shown up a few problems with the RM app...but they've all arrived. The UPS app hasn't had time to catch up with the fact that the package has been delivered (it never appeared on the RM system as, I suspect, it's a contract with UPS rather than plain international mail).

All in all I get good service from my local delivery office...and the RM national service. I know that they're facing stiff competition and financial constraints but, although the service is not what it once was, I think that they're holding up in my area. It may be different elsewhere...