closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hard to Decide - Get a Baby Dreadnought or wait on the Traveller?

Hard to Decide - Get a Baby Dreadnought or wait on the Traveller?

Hello everyone, I'm finding myself in a bit of a quandary. Really like the design of the PRS-52 (both black and polar, but leaning polar because of the contrasting second hand.) That said, I also love the design if the upcoming Traveller, so I'm not sure if I should try for the Baby Dreadnought in the next order window or wait longer for the Traveller release. I recognize neither is an absolute need, I just really like the designs of both. I like the idea of the GMT, but from a practical perspective I already have a HAQ Citizen AQ4060 with the ability to jump the hour hand forward or back in one hour increments, in addition to a couple of G-Shocks with world time capability. By that same metric, I have no watches with a timing bezel right now, but for timers and stopwatches I could, again, go back to my digital G-Shocks. I think both the Baby Dreadnought and the Traveller look unique and different, but I'm having a bit of trouble justifying buying both to myself. For the folks who have the Baby Dreadnought, what's your take? How do you feel about it? Would you trade it for the Traveller?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Baby Dreadnought, one of the very few I regret selling, I've 8" wrists and the size was perfect, just about one of the best dive / tool watches I've worn, which is far better than it's price would suggest.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apologies, not really answering vorpal's question (Baby Dreadnaught or Traveler), just some thoughts on the Baby Dreadnaught, "offsetting" the comment(s) by number2.
    Like most, I missed the original Dreadnaught and always wondered whether it would be too big on my 6.75" wrist. Very excited when I learned about the Baby-line and even more so when I managed to get one. Strangely enough, the Baby Dreadnaught feels too small and definitely wears smaller than its 37.4 mm diameter (excluding crown) suggests. So I sits it still unworn in my watchbox. Added to that, over time I've grown an appreciation for the Polar version, so have now 2 options: (1) sell or (2) trade / swap for a Polar.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I caught and released a polar baby dreadnought recently. I loved the watch in photos but it was underwhelming. The main things for me were the thickness and the dial was a little plain.

Awesome watch though

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Apologies, not really answering vorpal's question (Baby Dreadnaught or Traveler), just some thoughts on the Baby Dreadnaught, "offsetting" the comment(s) by number2.
    Like most, I missed the original Dreadnaught and always wondered whether it would be too big on my 6.75" wrist. Very excited when I learned about the Baby-line and even more so when I managed to get one. Strangely enough, the Baby Dreadnaught feels too small and definitely wears smaller than its 37.4 mm diameter (excluding crown) suggests. So I sits it still unworn in my watchbox. Added to that, over time I've grown an appreciation for the Polar version, so have now 2 options: (1) sell or (2) trade / swap for a Polar.
    Interesting?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

When the Baby D comes out of the watch box and onto the wrist, I usually think it seems a bit too small. Sometimes I even consider selling it. However, after a few days it starts to seem 'just right'. It usualy then gets lodged in place for longer than planned. Funny that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    When the Baby D comes out of the watch box and onto the wrist, I usually think it seems a bit too small. Sometimes I even consider selling it. However, after a few days it starts to seem 'just right'. It usualy then gets lodged in place for longer than planned. Funny that.
    Thanks for the responses so far! Still deciding as it's not like all my watches are broken and I'm spending my days wandering about without knowing the time, but it's good to get people's takes. I have a 6.75" wrist, and I wear 36mm-40mm diameter watches most of the time. Love my Everest and my Trans-global, so I'm looking to stay smaller size-wise. Hands on the Baby Dreadnought look super legible, which is one of my preferences. Same with the Traveller though, the blued hands are a good contrast on a cream background.

Journeyman
    I managed to get the polar baby Dreadnought a few months ago and it's not been off my wrist since. I've a small wrist (6.5") and prefer a smaller watch and this fits me perfectly.

Like you I have the Everest and Trans-Global and the baby Dreadnought is a great companion to those. I'm not one about curating a collection and I didn't mean to but these 3 are great and fit different looks etc. as needed.

Initial thoughts are very positive, the highlight for me is the handset and the pop of orange, lume is great too.

I would totally recommend a purchase and worst case sell it back on the forum, you're likely to get your money back if you don't take a fancy to it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Echoing other comments, it’s a simple fact of watch ownership that whenever you change watch size by a significant amount, the incoming watch seems massive or tiny for a couple of days. As such, its a good idea to wear a watch for a few days before thinking about size. Personally, I think the baby dreadnought is yet another example of Eddie being way ahead of where things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by 765 RS View Post
    I managed to get the polar baby Dreadnought a few months ago and it's not been off my wrist since. I've a small wrist (6.5") and prefer a smaller watch and this fits me perfectly.

Like you I have the Everest and Trans-Global and the baby Dreadnought is a great companion to those. I'm not one about curating a collection and I didn't mean to but these 3 are great and fit different looks etc. as needed.

Initial thoughts are very positive, the highlight for me is the handset and the pop of orange, lume is great too.

I would totally recommend a purchase and worst case sell it back on the forum, you're likely to get your money back if you don't take a fancy to it.
    I like this take, and I'm at 6.75". I'm likely to go for it next opening, I think. Once Eddie is well and ready to go I figure, though that may be May 14. Harder to get an order in if it's going to be at the same time as the Commander. I like that too but I think it might be too similar to the Everest (despite the bigger case.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I like this take, and I'm at 6.75". I'm likely to go for it next opening, I think. Once Eddie is well and ready to go I figure, though that may be May 14. Harder to get an order in if it's going to be at the same time as the Commander. I like that too but I think it might be too similar to the Everest (despite the bigger case.)

Erm… you could try a WTB?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Erm… you could try a WTB?
    Haven't actually been around long enough in the forum for a WTB :). I think I'm still a couple of weeks away from access to the sales forum, and I'd like to be respectful of forum rules.