closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Used car prices

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Won't that really depend on how deeply the cost of living crisis is felt next year along with interest rates, the potential recession...those who traditionally purchase better value for money vehicles/ ''Low end cars'' might temproarily exit the market, postpone any purchase until the economy improves...just a thought.
    I think that a lot of people are already feeling the pinch, as the guy in the video says it’s not impacting him adversely at the lower end of the market.

Also, whilst some of his traditional customers may hold off, there will be others who need to buy but have nowhere else to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think that a lot of people are already feeling the pinch, as the guy in the video says it’s not impacting him adversely at the lower end of the market.
    Apart from his wife’s cheapy (you guessed it) Range Rover which had gone on to depreciate a further 50% in no time at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I’ve got one coming this month (CT4). Private purchase and only ordered in September. I do have a few doubts and will be sad to let my Velar go as I absolutely love it but when I see a CT I just break out in a smile and can’t wait to get it.

I did get 15% off a new order so balances out and I know it will cost me a hell of a lot but just thought sod it life’s for enjoying the things you enjoy.

On the topic - my Velar dropped £8k from September but I also think I’d didn’t lose when I sold the last car due to the crazy second hand market so swings and roundabouts. However it’s an awful time to sell a car and buy new.
    I hear you
    The CT looks great -like a bigger version of the old MCoupe
    Enjoy it
    Life’s too short as they say.

Craftsman
    I'm looking to part ex my Evoque for a used F Pace and have an appointment with the JLR dealer. Looking at the likely trade in value of the Evoque and paying another £15k on top for the Jag i'm wondering now if it's worth it.
    The Evoque has only done 50K (2016) and even with inflated insurance and extended warranty payments i'm wondering if i should just keep it for another year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Taycans are ten a penny at my workplace. Anyone earning over six figures is getting 62% tax relief on the gross monthly rental, making them around £400 pcm nett to rent via salary sacrifice.

You couldn’t get one for love nor money a year ago as the waiting list was 15 months when I looked.

Now the waiting list is 15 days.
    Think thats the reason the guys at my place of work are hoping the company finally signs up to a EV scheme, everyone will be switching to a Tacan from the Range Rovers...

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I'm looking to part ex my Evoque for a used F Pace and have an appointment with the JLR dealer. Looking at the likely trade in value of the Evoque and paying another £15k on top for the Jag i'm wondering now if it's worth it.
    The Evoque has only done 50K (2016) and even with inflated insurance and extended warranty payments i'm wondering if i should just keep it for another year or so.
    Check if it has the Ingenium engine. That may help with any decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I hear you
    The CT looks great -like a bigger version of the old MCoupe
    Enjoy it
    Life’s too short as they say.
    Thank you - and genuinely never thought of that comparison before and you’re absolutely right!

Loved that weird looking thing. Ended up with a Z4M 2007-2009 and loved it but would have loved to have a go in one of those bet they were great fun.

Some more anecdotal backup of a two tier market. And yes, Range Rover depreciation delivers again.

https://youtu.be/z7isABoVLVQ?si=Kf2nonPHk16cA_nA

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Local Aston Martin salesman told me no dealer franchised or not will take a Taycan in PX, then a neighbour recently said he’s stuck with his
    He’s talking nonsense Adrian.

Everything has a value but some larger groups specifically avoid bidding on any EV given their stock levels, run rates and the volatility of the market.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    A lot of the Taycans are coming back in to the Porsche dealerships after the lease/pcp deals are up.
    Don't forget about 90% of Taycans were taken up by limited companies due to the tax advantages.
    The 24/36 mt deals are up and people are handing them back as the guaranteed value is more than they are now worth.
    Porsche are going to be stuck with a shed load of new Taycans they can't shift now with the ridiculous price increases and high finance costs.
    I wouldn't be jumping in to a Taycan deal yet as they have a bit to fall I'd imagine.
    Where are you getting that “90%” figure from please?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    He’s talking nonsense Adrian.

Everything has a value but some larger groups specifically avoid bidding on any EV given their stock levels, run rates and the volatility of the market.
    It was Grange in Brentwood in May, whil the Ipace was being serviced next door

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It was Grange in Brentwood in May, whil the Ipace was being serviced next door
    If Grange (Cambria Group) had the Porsche franchise they might have spun another story………

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I’ve got one coming this month (CT4)..... However it’s an awful time to sell a car and buy new.
    Hope you love it and fair play but I'd definitely be wondering about spending 12-18mths in a used one and what else I could spend the savings on!

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Hope you love it and fair play but I'd definitely be wondering about spending 12-18mths in a used one and what else I could spend the savings on!
    Thanks, yeah fingers crossed.

I'm one of the, you could say, mugs, that only likes buying new cars. My last experience of used was about 15 years ago (which was first time in about 10yrs), bought a 3yr old X5 from BMW dealer and long story short, turned out it had been in an electrical fire and was a quite the lemon. I got my money back no challenge but put me off.

I'm a sucker for that first owner feel - although did once buy an ex-BMW management car that was 9 months old for a huge saving.

I know one day I'll give up on this and go down a different route - but for now etc

Master
    For those who use the WBAC values as some kind of barometer for used car prices, this news might explain some of their very volatile offer pricing;

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publ...e-drops/292531

I’ve tended to put more store in Motorway where your car is auctioned off to actual dealers/buyers rather than WBAC who are buying in for BCA sales.

I do feel for those trying to make a living whilst all this is going on, and having their livelihoods threatened by another giant ‘player’ suffering ‘liquidity issues’.

Where are you getting that “90%” figure from please?
    When I went to Porsche Hatfield 18 months ago the salesman there said that every Taycan had a silly wait as everyone was buying it through the company schemes to take advantage of the 1% which moved to 2% benefit in Kind rates

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    When I went to Porsche Hatfield 18 months ago the salesman there said that every Taycan had a silly wait as everyone was buying it through the company schemes to take advantage of the 1% which moved to 2% benefit in Kind rates
    Not an especially solid data point is it?

Not an especially solid data point is it?
    Very believable though as there are quite a number of comments on this thread alone which back up the salesman’s claim.

When the incentives available make them a £400 per month car for some higher rate taxpayers, it’s hardly a surprise though.

Master
    Very believable though as there are quite a number of comments on this thread alone which back up the salesman’s claim.

When the incentives available make them a £400 per month car for some higher rate taxpayers, it’s hardly a surprise though.
    For a 100k car its a deal.

Yes, let’s not allow some unsubstantiated third party quotes via one salesman in a Porsche Centre regurgitated on a forum get in the way of the real facts at all.

Yes, let’s not allow some unsubstantiated third party quotes via one salesman in a Porsche Centre regurgitated on a forum get in the way of the real facts at all.
    What are the real facts then?

I only said that his comment was believable, particularly when considering just how cheap the car could be for some.

Skip to minute 34 for the executive stuff which are tanking at auction.

https://youtu.be/6VguVeojSBk?feature=shared

All those JLR cars that aren't selling have the ingenium…word is well and truly out.

That particular car had warning lights on the dashboard which will have reflected the desirability, however the exec market is certainly suffering at the moment.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

EVs seem to be taking a hit on the second hand market at the moment. Last time I looked at the EQC, they were at least £60k; I looked at one at my local MB dealership last week at £43k with an additional £3k deposit contribution, so £40k overall. It’s two and a half years old with 36,000 miles on the clock and was around £75k new with no discounts.

I was tempted but SWMBO didn’t like the colour!
    Look again, 3yr old EQC on 37.5k now at circa £26k…tempted at that price.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312295107412

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

That was April last year, sun £30k is easily achievable now but at £26k it’s almost rude not to!

They don't get the greatest of reviews those models...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    They don't get the greatest of reviews those models...
    They’re three or four years old now and were really Mercedes first foray into EV (discounting the B250E) so not the best range wise given the size of the battery.
    They are what they are though and if a 200-220 mile range is good enough for your needs, will serve well and be very familiar for anyone used to driving Mercs.

Craftsman

That’s a huge drop!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guli View Post
    That’s a huge drop!
    Circa 60% drop for a 3 year old slightly leggy ex-company luxury SUV doesn’t sound that untypical to be honest, the recent artificially high prices were an unsustainable bubble.

If such a vehicle is on your shortlist though, sounds like a good deal!

It’s what we all wanted to happen isn’t it, used prices to drop back to where they should be?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Circa 60% drop for a 3 year old slightly leggy ex-company luxury SUV doesn’t sound that untypical to be honest, the recent artificially high prices were an unsustainable bubble.

It’s what we all wanted to happen isn’t it, used prices to drop back to where they should be?
    Before all the covid madness I remember Autocar (I think) citing the value of new cars at 3 years. IIRC most cars were in the 30 to 40% of list range with a few in the low 40s and very, very few over 50%. We definitely seem to be getting back to those sorts of new vehicle depreciation. Long gone is buying a new run-of-the-mill car and selling it for much the same after a year's ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

For someone like me living in a city with an average 8 miles a day buying something like the EQC does seem to make sense. I bought my current 2011 Octavia on 63k 8 years ago and am just over 96k now! I rarely travel more than 200 miles in a single journey. £26k much more palatable than £35/40k. Pleased prices are normalising.