closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alert message

Master

Alert message

Wasn't there supposed to be a government alert message test yesterday?

Nothing came through on either of my phones.

Craftsman
    I had the alert come through on my phone with O2 but nothing on another with Smarty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    I had the alert come through on my phone with O2 but nothing on another with Smarty.
    Both mine are on O2.

Not much of an alert if it only reaches 'some' phones.

Mine went off a minute before 3pm, it’s a trial they weren’t likely to get it right the first time, pretty sure it’ll improve as they develops and test it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Our phones made a row so I suppose everyone else’s did, are they now that worried about an impending emergency,

turned mine off a few weeks ago , i can see no use for it whatsoever due to the lack of earthquakes,tsunamis etc in the UK and in the event of a nuclear war as i live right next to a major city all it would say is 'its now time to put your head between you legs and kiss your ass goodbye' .

Mine went off at 1516. Guess that’s me eaten by the first wave of zombies then? 🙄

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    turned mine off a few weeks ago , i can see no use for it whatsoever due to the lack of earthquakes,tsunamis etc in the UK and in the event of a nuclear war as i live right next to a major city all it would say is 'its now time to put your head between you legs and kiss your ass goodbye' .
    This exactly.

I don't really care one way or another, as what will be will be.

I heard it could also be used for local alerts such as missing child or similar so I don't see it as a completely bad idea.

Alert message

Personally I’d like to be informed if there’s an imminent terror attack just around the corner or my house is about to be flooded. I think it’s aimed at those sorts of scenarios more than a nuclear warning. Having been just a mile or so away from terror attacks in London in the past there’s no way I’d be turning it off. Sadly those sorts of things can and do happen.

Master
    We havnt needed it up until now so there is no point imo. We will probably see a ramp up in Russian propaganda now regarding possible nuclear threats to gain public backing for what ever they have planned. What's alarming here (no pun intended) is that after Hancock's whats app messages were exposed, ppl still trust this shit housery in charge. We know the government like to spread fear in order to control so I have no interest in doing anything they ask.

^^^^^^

G&D......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Personally I’d like to be informed if there’s an imminent terror attack just around the corner or my house is about to be flooded. I think it’s aimed at those sorts of scenarios more than a nuclear warning. Having been just a mile or so away from terror attacks in London in the past there’s no way I’d be turning it off. Sadly those sorts of things can and do happen.
    the thing with terror attacks is that by the time you have heard about them they have usually already happened

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Both mine are on O2.

Not much of an alert if it only reaches 'some' phones.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

the thing with terror attacks is that by the time you have heard about them they have usually already happened
    I’d rather be aware than not. I don’t understand why anyone would switch it off rather than just to be contrary. But clearly everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

And we enter the world of conspiracy theories…….and I’m out

After talking to a few friends and colleagues, I think the 3 network bore the majority of the "did not receive" issues. I only heard people not receiving alerts that were on 3, iD, or Smarty - the latter 2 are MVNOs on 3's network.

Master
    Agree. I turned mine off as it’s a fairly pointless exercise and yet another waste of tax payers money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I'm boned.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’d rather be aware than not. I don’t understand why anyone would switch it off rather than just to be contrary. But clearly everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    Me neither - at worst it saves them 15s of a very minor inconvenience and unless alone will hear that of those around them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Me neither - at worst it saves them 15s of a very minor inconvenience and unless alone will hear that of those around them anyway.
    One example might be those who have a hidden phone; I believe this is reasonably frequent among victims of domestic abuse, for example...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

One example might be those who have a hidden phone; I believe this is reasonably frequent among victims of domestic abuse, for example...
    Yes, have read and understand this, rather directed at those who simply think it's a pointless waste of money.

Master
    Yes, have read and understand this, rather directed at those who simply think it's a pointless waste of money.
    How is it money well spent then?
    Last edited by southerner101; 24th April 2023 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    How is it money well spent then?
    Did I claim it was?

Master
    Did I claim it was?
    to direct a post at those who simply think it's a pointless waste of money, I was hoping you would have an opinion on the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    to direct a post at those who simply think it's a pointless waste of money, I was hoping you would have an opinion on the opposite.
    That’s a pity.

It was directed at those who turn it off because they believe it’s a waste of money, apologies if you were confused.

Master
    That’s a pity.

It was directed at those who turn it off because they believe it’s a waste of money, apologies if you were confused.
    Apology accepted

Grand Master
    Ive had a mobile phone for longer than I can remember.
    Why now for a warning alert & never before.
    Anything to do with the lunatic Putin with his finger hovering over the nuclear missile button.

Master
    That is a concern, however as a person who's linked to a charity that rescues abused women, their 'hidden' phones would normally be switched off to preserve battery life until needed. That's certainly what we advise.

And those phones are rarely smart phones; generally we recommend the 'old school' Nokia phones which have enormous battery life and will retain charge for months when switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Ive had a mobile phone for longer than I can remember.
    Why now for a warning alert & never before.
    Anything to do with the lunatic Putin with his finger hovering over the nuclear missile button.
    I purchased my first mobile phone in 1992 so that when on 60-minutes stand-by (I was in the military back then) I could leave the house. Amazing how things change as I haven't had a landline for around 6-years.

Nothing to do with Putin. The UK is catching up with many other countries who have had similar for many years. As I've stated on the thread in the Bear Pit, my experience of it when I had a US cell phone was that most alerts were about missing children e.g. look out for a red pick-up truck or a picture so that if recognised the public could call the authorities.

There's always negative reaction to change or something new, it's well understood from a behavioural science perspective. In 12-months time having probably received zero alerts you won't even think about it.

I genuinely don’t think it’s anything to do with Putin. What’s the point in a ‘you will vaporised by a hypersonic nuclear warhead in 50 seconds’ message?? It seems perfectly sensible and reasonable that now the technology exists that a targeted warning can be issued in this way, whether it’s for a fire, flooding or a terrorist attack etc. Other ideas are far more exciting I’m sure.

Master
    Its a great idea .

It means most of the population will dispose of their own remain in underground stations or basements , making it much easier for the disposal teams to locate them and cart them away.

Also less traumatic for the Elites as they venture forth to take custody of their new empty world free of empty eaters .

I suspect .

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    BBC link

...Many users of the Three mobile network said they did not receive the alert.

A spokesperson for the company later said it was"aware that a number of customers have not received the test alert. We're working closely with the government to understand why and ensure it doesn't happen when the system is in use"...

SMARTY is hosted on Three (link) along with a couple of other brands.

for those wishing to know what would happen if a nuclear bomb hit their closest city
    https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

just drag the pin to where you want and pick the details on the right hand side

SydR
    Seems the other major networks were able to rebroadcast the signal continuously for around 20 minutes. Three, on the other hand, failed to propagate the message correctly through its core systems

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Seems the other major networks were able to rebroadcast the signal continuously for around 20 minutes. Three, on the other hand, failed to propagate the message correctly through its core systems
    My wife turned notifications off on her Sky (O2) network. Turned them back on later in the evening.

Driving to work the following morning and the alert came through, scared the crap out of her & borders on dangerous with something suddenly going off like that!

Master
    Do you mean to say something implemented by our government doesn't work properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Do you mean to say something implemented by our government doesn't work properly?
    Well it couldn't possibly be Three...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Well it couldn't possibly be Three...
    I'm on O2, two lines. Nothing.