closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay's latest retrograde step / unforced error.

eBay's latest retrograde step / unforced error.

I nearly wrote c*ck-up, but then I remembered this is the G&D.

Anybody else noticed ?

I regularly right click and save photos from eBay watch listings. Approximately 2 days ago, I went to save the primary image from a listing and was annoyed it only came out @ 500 x 500 pixels (instead of the usual default 1600 x 1600). Now it seems widespread - on all new listings - and where I've checked even across ended listings. Wonder if was intentional, or a coding error.

For example, this is the primary image from a German eBay listing (for a Seiko 7A38-704C) that I saved last week.
    It was only live for a few hours on Thursday 13th April:

Here's how that same image looks today:

Last edited by Seiko7A38; 20th April 2023 at 09:03.

I suspect it is to try and prevent image theft/misuse for bogus listings?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

That logic doesn't work. Any new bogus listings created (regardless of the original image size) will also have a primary image measuring 500x500 - which can hide a multitude of sins.

Master
    It's a 90% reduction in storage requirement though which is massive across the whole site.

I don't see that argument working either. You can still zoom in on the original primary image, so they must be hosting it somewhere. Plus they seemed to have recently removed the limit on the maximum number of eBay hosted images. It was 12 last year, but I've seen some listings with as many as 24.

What’s the issue then? Just stops people downloading them for perhaps dubious reasons.

If you buy something, isn’t the listing still viewable so any discrepancies in what was received can still be seen?

Would you mind linking the listing? It could potentially be browser settings, if its suddenly enabled a data saver after an updatge or a plugin is at work in an undesired way.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Would you mind linking the listing? It could potentially be browser settings, if its suddenly enabled a data saver after an updatge or a plugin is at work in an undesired way.
    This was the German eBay listing I cited in my first post:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Spo...-/314521333241

(The dubious reason I was looking into that particular example, is because a week later, some greedy profiteering re-seller now has it up on Instagram for double the price !)
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 20th April 2023 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    That logic doesn't work. Any new bogus listings created (regardless of the original image size) will also have a primary image measuring 500x500 - which can hide a multitude of sins.
    I don't see that argument working either. You can still zoom in on the original primary image, so they must be hosting it somewhere. Plus they seemed to have recently removed the limit on the maximum number of eBay hosted images. It was 12 last year, but I've seen some listings with as many as 24.
    But you won't be able to zoom in on any bogus listing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That was the angle I was coming from with my earlier comment (I didn't elaborate).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I'm struggling to see the issue? Only the main pic is too small but all others are OK, but you can still zoom in on the main pic? Confused.

I was always surprised eBay allowed images to be saved.

If you need better pics you can always ask the seller to provide them? Probably a good measure of how reliable they are depending on their response.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sorry (@ Chris_in_the_UK)- I missed that nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm struggling to see the issue?
    Well unless they're aware of this issue, most canny sellers will upload their photos and arrange them so that their best photo is the primary image ...

Well unless they're aware of this issue, most canny sellers will upload their photos and arrange them so that their best photo is the primary image ...
    But buyer's can still use the zoom tool and view at the original size. It's only when you save it that it becomes a smaller image.

I regularly right click and save photos from eBay watch listings
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    Why?
    I'm assuming for those (s)he purchased. Otherwise, yeah, a weird hobby.

Well its definitely not just a browser thing, and most definitely coming from their site.

If its lessens your pain, when you right click the image to save it its pulling from
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NVMAA...-Br/s-l500.jpg

I played for a minute and the higher res seems to be available by changing the number in the file name, best resolution I could get was
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NVMAA...Br/s-l1000.jpg

Thanks for confirming that it wasn't a problem with my browser. I was fairly confident it wasn't.

Saving as filename S1000 works OK for that particular image, because the original (which I'd saved on Thursday 13th) measures 831x1002.

I tried using S1600 (eBay's standard default size) on a couple of other listings and it worked fine. Such an easy workaround.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 21st April 2023 at 08:34.

It actually looks like a bug, can't think why only the landing page image would be reduced, but the others are higher res. If its really bothersome, might be a shout to report it here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-...nicalissues-db

Looks like an eBay seller has spotted and reported it already:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-...696599#M110806

The first reply is a classic:
    Yep, I have the same problem. All of a sudden, all of my cover images are teeny, tiny. Ebay resized them to 500X500 pixels. I uploaded all of them at 1600X1600 pixels. The tiny images look ridiculous and unappealing on the desktop. What's even more ridiculous is that while the 1st image is tiny, but all the subsequent images are full size. It's quite jarring to scroll to the second image as there is a big jump in photo size.
    What's worse, if I end my listing, download the tiny image and resize it back to 1600X1600 (which makes the image grainy, btw) and then upload the newly resized image to my listing and send the listing live, the cover image once again gets miniaturized by eBay to 500XX500!

Ebay has ruined the first image on every single one of my listings now. To get a truly clear image at the resolution that is decent (as opposed to resizing up which makes images look grainy), I would have to re-photograph everything.... though no point in that if eBay is going to miniaturize the cover shots as soon as I sent a listing live. WTH, eBay? This not a good experience for buyers!

I reached out to Customer Service and they couldn't understand what I was talking about. 45 minutes wasted trying to explain it and then waiting while the agent tried in vain to research the problem. I suggested the agent put me on the line with their supervisor, to which the agent said the supervisor didn't have any more access to resources than he did. (They all work from the same scripts and uninformed knowledge base, in other words.)

Anyone else experience this? Any known resolution?
    There are two dozen more after that .... mostly from other disgruntled sellers.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 21st April 2023 at 10:44.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    It actually looks like a bug, can't think why only the landing page image would be reduced, but the others are higher res.
    It was indeed a bug / coding error. eBay's Tech support eventually acknowledged it; a ticket (#1-462366848251) was raised ....
    .... and this morning it appears to have been fixed. Only took them a week.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-...3696599/page/3
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 26th April 2023 at 09:50.