closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommended Safety Helmets for a 16yo Learner Moped Rider

Recommended Safety Helmets for a 16yo Learner Moped Rider

Our youngest daughter has recently gained her CBT certificate, shortly after her 16th birthday. She has her sights set on a Honda Vision 50 which seems a fairly sensible starting point, and isn't far off saving enough to buy a decent second-hand model. She envisages progressing to a 125cc sometime next year.

I've said that I'll help with the helmet purchase, to ensure that she doesn't cut any corners in that department. However, I don't know much about the plethora of options beyond reading about SHARP safety ratings and drumming it into her not to drop it.

So, over to the TZ biker collective. Budget is very flexible, the focus is on safety but it does need to be comfortable and look cool (obviously).
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Helmets

If you’ve looked at SHARP then you know 5 is the highest standard, but fit is as important if not more so, a 3 star that fits is better than a 5 that doesn’t, different makes have different fits, my advice is find a shop that has a large selection and see what make fits.

I’ve had motorbikes and fallen of bikes, helmet protects head but gloves protect your hands if you fall off at low speed and slide, jacket and trousers too, don’t need to spend a fortune but don’t scrimp either.

Also and I may be wrong but to me a 125 is a better start, it gives a bit of get out the way speed a 50 won’t. Again I could be wrong.

I would seriously recommend that she visits a J&S, SportsBikeShop or other bike store to try on a multitude of different helmets. The staff will want to sell the best helmet for her budget that fits correctly.

Take time trying the helmets and listen to the staff, if they are not checking for pressure points or too tight/loose then she needs to walk away and find somewhere that does.

Depends on where you are in the country, Bikestop in Stevenage are probably the best, spartsbikeshop in Harlow is probably the worst, in the end it will come down to how much you want to spend

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Also and I may be wrong but to me a 125 is a better start, it gives a bit of get out the way speed a 50 won’t. Again I could be wrong.
    We've been through all that but she ain't going to wait, and hopefully a year of pootling to and from her Saturday job on a 50cc will give her a bit of bike sense.

Imho it doesn’t matter how powerful the bike you’re riding - get the best fitting/safest helmet you can afford. You have to try them on though - I found out I have a larger than average head from the back of my head to my chin, the only helmets that fitted me back when I was a biker were Arai, and they weren’t cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    We've been through all that but she ain't going to wait, and hopefully a year of pootling to and from her Saturday job on a 50cc will give her a bit of bike sense.
    Kids ah? A year on a 50cc will give confidence and Road sense, at 17 she’ll be in a better position to get a car.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would get one to the latest safety standards.

You only have one head!

I have four daughters so my advice for what its worth is to ask her to wait another year and then pass her car test and buy a nice smallish car and take it from there.

Thanks for the comments, so a well stocked store and find a perfect fit with as high a SHARP rating as possible sounds like the way to go. It's interesting and slightly unexpected that no specific brands have been mentioned, which is useful information in itself.

My budget is a lot larger than hers which is why I'm chipping in on this one to widen the possibilities. She has a good idea of the other protective gear she needs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Matthew

Make sure she gets a full face helmet, not an open face. If she likes them even get a modular one - tgey ‘break’ at the jaw to lift up. Do you know what size she needs in cm. Get the widest aperture for visor you can.

Next, make sure she gets a good pair of gloves that will protect her wrist, knuckles and fingers.

They must both fit properly!

Keep the visor clean!

Finally a pair of boots to protect her ankles and lower shin.

Wish her all the best and to be careful. Ride positively and not in the edge of the road or gutter area.

Good luck!

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 18th April 2023 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Hi Matthew

Make sure she gets a full face helmet, not an open face. If she likes them even get a modular one - tgey ‘break’ at the jaw to lift up. Do you know what size she needs in cm. Get the widest aperture for visor you can.

Next, make sure she gets a good pair of gloves that will protect her wrist, knuckles and fingers.

They must both fit properly!

Keep the visor clean!

Finally a pair of boots to protect her ankles and lower shin.

Wish her all the best and to be careful. Ride positively and not in the edge of the road or gutter area.

Jim
    Ta Jim, very helpful. The need for full face was covered on the CBT but I didn't know about modular options. I'll be tailing her on her first few outings to check on positioning (it's mostly 30mph max where she'll be heading initially).

You only have one head…

I would recommend going for almost any of the top 5 to 10 brands, but most important over spec etc. is the fit.

I have far too many helmets, and owe my life to an Arai, so it’s my top choice, but there are many very good helmets. The SHARP test is a little flawed, but it’s a good start.

in my order of preference of the helmets I own or have tried over the years…

Arai
    Shoei
    BMW (older helmets used to be made by Schuberth, but now put together by Mavet who also do the AGV assembly)
    Schuberth
    AGV
    HJC
    Bell

Bennetts Review:

Top 3 helmet brands most associated with overall build quality:

1. Arai
    2. Shoei
    3. AGV

Top 3 helmet brands considered the most comfortable by owners

1. Arai
    2. Shoei
    3. Schuberth

Top 3 best value helmet brands according to their owners

1. LS2
    2. Caberg
    3. HJC

MCN guide:

https://products.motorcyclenews.com/...cycle-helmets/
    It's just a matter of time...

I've always found that your shape of head dictates helmet brand. I have a round head so never do well with Arai but seem fine with Shoei and Schubert.

Go to a reputable local store (J&S as mentioned are good) and try on some different shapes.

Pretty sure I have an immaculate XXS or XS Shoei which my wife wore maybe twice which you're more than welcome to if you're passing London/Essex at any point assuming the sizing works. Cute girly colour scheme.

Master
    Rewind to your 16yo self - …. Wait a year until your 17- that’s a lifetime at 16
    As others have said get to a reputable helmet stockist and try some on
    Smaller sizes are usually cheaper

A young lady probably couldn’t go far wrong with a Schuberth C3,

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/sch...w-c3pro-woman/

Arai man myself (because they fitted me and Shoei didn’t) but quite a few friends (5) owe their life to helmets made by Shark.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've always found that your shape of head dictates helmet brand. I have a round head so never do well with Arai but seem fine with Shoei and Schubert.

Go to a reputable local store (J&S as mentioned are good) and try on some different shapes.

Pretty sure I have an immaculate XXS or XS Shoei which my wife wore maybe twice which you're more than welcome to if you're passing London/Essex at any point assuming the sizing works. Cute girly colour scheme.
    Most people have an Arai or a Shoei head, I’m a Shoei, my current lids are BMW and AGV yet my car race lid is Arai, the answer is try on and leave it on for a good ten minutes, any pressure on the forehead/temples and it’s a no

I see.

If the Shoei fits, wear it.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Get a correct fitting, book slot and take her to see Chris and Sara at Motolegends in Guildford.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP View Post
    Get a correct fitting, book slot and take her to see Chris and Sara at Motolegends in Guildford.
    Agreed. Great folk

Jim

Blog Entries
    My youngest and we (parents) were in the same position when he was 16y/o. We went to a few shops to get a proper fitting helmet out of more or less the list by Omegamanic a few postings up. Ultimately, the Shoes fitted good. That's a good thing about helmets. Youngsters start looking at the 'cool/ design on the outside, but that's out of the window when their nose is jammed or their ears are folded down!

Also check how easy the buckle is closed and opened. When it's an illogical design and fussy to open/close the buckle, they tend to ride their mopeds with the helm on, but not secured!

Full face is a must.

D-ring fastening is also a must.

And correct fit is a must; I’m sure competent staff (and YouTube) will help. Check that the helmet, when rotated left and right, rotates the wearer’s head without slack or independent movement of the helmet. With the helmet unfastened on the head and neck relaxed, place your fist under the “chin” of the helmet and press up - the head should rotate up without slack or independent movement of the helmet.

There’s a reason why Arai is number one, and they do a good enough range of motorcycle helmets to fit every head shape. Never buy used and never by a floor model. Check the date stamp (debossed in the chinstrap on an Arai) as helmets go out of date.

Finally, don’t neglect the colour. White or brightly coloured might save the wearer’s life.

M, your inbox is full….

I've been riding since I was about 5, on and off road and worked in a bike shop in my youth. Still fairly well connected to the ‘industry'.

Still ride 5-6 times a week, if only to work and sometimes the long way home. My main lid is a bit older now, but I'd be looking at least ECE 22.06 and Sharp 4, preferably 5 star rating. They say you've either got a Shoei or Arai shaped head, I've had both and always preferred Shoei. To my mind, they're the top two and most people who work in bike shops or ride for a living will agree.

Ultimately, the best helmet is the one that fits properly. Don't even think about an open face on the road. I'd rather have a cheaper mid-range lid that fits properly (that meets the standards previously mentioned) than some super snazzy mega vented race lid that rattles around on my bonce. If you're not sure, go to a decent bike shop and get them to fit it for you. The fit really is the most important thing.

As has already been said, FIT is the most important thing.
    A properly fitted £50 Chinese made helmet will outperform an ill fitted £500 branded name.
    Just go for the best you can reasonably afford that fits correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    A young lady probably couldn’t go far wrong with a Schuberth C3,

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/sch...w-c3pro-woman/
    I have a C3 and I’ve been really happy with it. I think the sun visor is a must have and while the fact that it opens up takes a few points off safety I think the comfort points received more than make up for the fact. I also really love the fully integrated SENA bluetooth phone kit. I try to avoid talking on the phone while riding but having music does make riding infinitely nicer.

My must have list:
    -comfy
    -safe
    -full face that opens up
    -separate sun visor
    -bluetooth kit without protruding bits or wires

Master
    Get the best helmet you can afford, and the most comfortable one, with the features that will make it wearable and the least obtrusive or most functional.

Cheap head, cheap lid.

I have survived a 50mph head on collision and am writing this with thanks to a Schuberth C3Pro. It has a secure working Ratchet strap (not a D-ring) that works and is far more convenient. The paramedics were able to safely remove the lid without further injury as I not conscious. Schuberth make official lids for Formula1 and I trust them. My wife and son also have Schuberth lids.

I have had Arai, Schoei, and AGV in the past. All are good and fit well. Current lid is the Schuberth C4 Pro Carbon. My next lid will be the C5 Carbon.