closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: stuhrling watch repair in the UK?

Craftsman

stuhrling watch repair in the UK?

My nephew brought his watch to show me as he had caught the crown and bent it. when i looked at it i saw it was slightly bent and that was it but when he put the watch in my hand the crown came off.
    I am presuming it will need a crown and stem but i am no watchmaker so don't know.
    Any advice on getting it fixed would be appreciated
    Thanks folks

Last edited by shaggy; 16th April 2023 at 02:26.

I can’t see what the movement is but I am sure it will be an ETA / Seiko / Miytoa movement and parts like a stem would be easy to obtain. (Not knowing if any damage has been done to the movement)
    I would think any watch maker should be able to repair this. However is it worth the outlay, only the owner can decide.
    Try one of the guys who frequent the forum. Olli. Thewatchbloke etc.

Grand Master
    Two scenarios: either the crown has become unscrewed from the stem or the stem has broken leaving a stub inside the crown. If the OP can establish which has happened it's easier to advise how to fix it.

If the stem has broken very close to the crown it'll be almost impossible to remove. There is a technique for dissolving the stem but that's likely to attack the crown too. If there's enough stem protruding it will be possible with heat to remove it.

If the stem has snapped in the crown it's best to source a replacement. My advice is to contact the manufacturer and request a replacement crown, as stated earlier the stem will be easy to source or it may be fixable using a stem extender.

If the OP can follow up my advice, elaborate on the inio, and source a new crown if required I`m prepared to get involved and help.

Edit:

just blown the picture up on the proper computer and it looks like the stem has snapped leaving a stub in the crown. Strongly advise trying to source a new crown from the manufacturer, hopefully they'll oblige at a reasonable cost.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 25th April 2023 at 17:39.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the help and info guys.
    My nephew got this from his dad who bought it while on a cruise (yes i did roll my eyes when i was told this)
    My nephew is a great lad and i would like to do something nice for him.
    I realise the cost may be more than the watch is worth but i will try and get a new crown and stem first and then be in touch if that's ok?.

Grand Master
    Don’t worry about the stem, that won’t be difficult to source, the crown is the issue. Resorting to a generic crown is tricky with a screw-down, finding one that’ll fit can be a challenge to say the least. There’s a slim chance that the crown can be salvaged but before trying it makes sense to have a fallback option.

Craftsman
    update folks
    well 3 emails in total have been ignored, i have checked my spam and i have heard nothing.
    the movement is a Cal st 90650
    that is as far as i have got.
    sorry to mess you around but im thinking its a lost cause.

^^^If you're still stuck send the watch and crown to me, I may be able to get it sorted depending on the type of steel that the stem is made from.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ^^^If you're still stuck send the watch and crown to me, I may be able to get it sorted depending on the type of steel that the stem is made from.
    Soaking in alum soln might work, I’ve used it to good effect a couple of times, but it does depend on the stem material.

Craftsman
    Well, sat last night around 9.30 last night i got an email back from Stuhrling, i replied yes to the question as the link is the same watch. I now await a response.
    cheers guys.
    https://i.postimg.cc/ZYvXTLqB/Screen...531-101226.png
    Last edited by shaggy; 31st May 2023 at 10:19. Reason: picture

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Soaking in alum soln might work, I’ve used it to good effect a couple of times, but it does depend on the stem material.
    I usually have at least one or two busted off crowns soaking, it can take a few weeks and plenty of agitation to work dependent on the metallurgy of the stem. However I've never had a Japanese watch from the 60's onwards with a stem that will dissolve, I'm not exactly sure what composition of metals their stem material is made from but it must be closer to stainless steel than high carbon steel.

The issue with shaggy's watch is it has a Chinese movement and that tells me will probably have a stem similar to the Japanese ones that won't dissolve, it's always worth a try though.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies guys, I asked if they would deliver to the UK as they gave me a price in US dollars and had free delivery to America. I am awaiting a response to this question.
    the part number they say on the invoice is 314R Crown and Stem.
    I will keep you informed as to what they have to say

Craftsman
    update
    i have bought a new crown and stem for $25 and $15 shipping
    so around £33
    when it arrives it will be going to Paul to be looked at so will keep everyone updated.
    thanks to all who commented and offered to help.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I usually have at least one or two busted off crowns soaking, it can take a few weeks and plenty of agitation to work dependent on the metallurgy of the stem. However I've never had a Japanese watch from the 60's onwards with a stem that will dissolve, I'm not exactly sure what composition of metals their stem material is made from but it must be closer to stainless steel than high carbon steel.

The issue with shaggy's watch is it has a Chinese movement and that tells me will probably have a stem similar to the Japanese ones that won't dissolve, it's always worth a try though.
    That's consistent with my experience, I`ve rescued a couple of old Omega crowns from 50s watches this way but had no success with more modern stuff.

After a 10 day holiday in sunny Spain I'm now back in Blighty, I`ve agreed to take a look at this one.