closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need some man math and advice here on a bath installation.

Need some man math and advice here on a bath installation.

Very close to offering on a bungalow near us but the only thing is it doesn’t have a bath. It has a bathroom and en-suite but no bath, not a massive deal for me but my OH needs her bath (to relax) she says, also when my daughter stays she’s the same, prefers baths.

My OH wants to look at fitting a bath in the extended bedroom which would be ours, me well I just feel it’s easier to remove the shower and fit a bath there.
    Only problem with that is the bathroom and en-suite is new installed and was done to a high spec and would seem a shame to rip it out.

What do you think would be easier as I’m struggling to convince my OH to remove the shower would be a better option.
    Or do you think she has a point, could be better to install a bath in the bedroom?

You can see the pics below which show the floor plan and the two rooms where the bath could be fitted in the end of the bedroom (likely where the stand alone wardrobe is) and the bathroom where the shower could be removed).

Last edited by Martylaa; 15th April 2023 at 09:51.

How would it fit where the shower is? It would be tiny, unless you moved the sink and toilet.

I'd be tempted to investigate knocking through the two bathrooms for one family size bathroom, then a small en suite in bedroom 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How would it fit where the shower is? It would be tiny, unless you moved the sink and toilet.

I'd be tempted to investigate knocking through the two bathrooms for one family size bathroom, then a small en suite in bedroom 2.
    You may be right about the size of the shower, your comment about knocking through, that was exactly how it used to be but the owners decided to do this.

Would be a shame to rip it apart again, to revert it all back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Getting a bath on the other side of the house may be more difficult than it sounds, due to plumbng and drainage.

Given kitchen, bathrooms, etc. are all at the front of the house.

Sounds a big job, but you will probably need to get someone over to investigate. In theory will need building regs. too I believe.

Do you know how long that shower tray is? It could very possibly be replaced with a small 1500-1600 tub depending how big it is I guess.

Put in an en suite in the larger/master bedroom or just a tub, keep the OH happy/ relaxed... daughter can make do with the shower en suite when she stays.

Caveat, provided it's not silly money to do.
    Last edited by Passenger; 15th April 2023 at 10:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Getting a bath on the other side of the house may be more difficult than it sounds, due to plumbng and drainage.

Given kitchen, bathrooms, etc. are all at the front of the house.

Sounds a big job, but you will probably need to get someone over to investigate. In theory will need building regs. too I believe.

Do you know how long that shower tray is? It could very possibly be replaced with a small 1500-1600 tub depending how big it is I guess.
    Tbh that’s what I was thinking about the water side of things where the plumbing etc is on the other side of the house.

If you're thinking of removing the shower and replcing it with a bath, but space is an issue, you might consider going down the road of a Japanese style soak bath. I had one installed in my previous house and it was perfect. Something like this https://www.cabuchon.com/deep-soaking-bath-tubs/

In the west we are used to having long, shallow baths, but when you get used to it, a depeer bath that you sit down into, rather than lie in, makes more sense. In your situation, if you decide to remodel the bathroom, this might be the solution?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Whatever solution you reach make sure you run it past the neighbourhood busybodies before installation ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Whatever solution you reach make sure you run it past the neighbourhood busybodies before installation ;-)
    Haha, he’s already writing his letter, his spider sense has kicked in…

It seems such a shame to uproot it to fit a bath.

If it was me, I would try and convince the wife to take a weekend break every so often and book a hotel with a bath. The wife can then go with the kids! Leaving me to have some peace.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    It seems such a shame to uproot it to fit a bath.

If it was me, I would try and convince the wife to take a weekend break every so often and book a hotel with a bath. The wife can then go with the kids! Leaving me to have some peace.
    You my man are streets ahead of me in thinking like that, send me more tips and pointers haha.

Master
    Like the man says there’s no plumbing over there but if it’s just the bath then I guess you can find a way to get the waste to fall enough to join the house waste.

A free standing roll top bath could go in there ok without too much extra work if you can bring all the plumbing up from under the floor.

I can’t see the dims on the shower tray. I’d never give up a shower for a bath!

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    Like the man says there’s no plumbing over there but if it’s just the bath then I guess you can find a way to get the waste to fall enough to join the house waste.

A free standing roll top bath could go in there ok without too much extra work if you can bring all the plumbing up from under the floor.

I can’t see the dims on the shower tray. I’d never give up a shower for a bath!
    Ah it’s only me tbh, the shower will stay where it is, my OH is right I think the logical thing is to install a bath in the bedroom on a raised plinth and go from there. Her dads mate is a plumber and said he could easily get water to it, just needs to work out where the waste would go. I know there’s a rainwater drain next to that room but not sure if you could put bath water down it, most likely not.

Master
    Bedroom 2 is an interesting arrangement, very long, I'd be tempted to fit an en-suite and fitted wardrobes where the bed is and move the bed into the window area.

Anything else I can help you with?
    Last edited by unclealec; 15th April 2023 at 16:07.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ LOL - I was just about to look for an image like this

Where do the scented candles and tea lights go?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

And the coal?

My wife insisted we have a bath fitted to our main bathroom which I duly did, but it never gets used, and I’m too tall to get any use of a bath so it sits idle!Given the cost of heating water and water costs we all got used to a shower, although the accepted logic seems to be that you need a bath if you want to sell a house. I wouldn’t be ripping out a perfectly good bathroom to sit in a puddle of my own juice but we’re all different!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    No way I'd rip out the shower from that bathroom - way too good for that.

If you must, put the bed into the extension end with the windows, create an internal en-suite and dressing area at the entrance space. Given where it is though, I'd allow up to £10k for that to be done to a high standard and you;d need to check with a tape if that end is big enough for the size of bed you want in there.

I'd have to REALLY want the house to consider all that work though - for me the layout isn't particularly well done given that it has the extensions. It could have been much better planned.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 19th April 2023 at 09:10.

Grand Master
    I don’t understand the aversion to baths, can’t beat a soak in a nice hot bath especially after exercise or a busy day.

However, looking at the floorpan of this bungalow, it’s obviously going to be difficult and expensive to install a bath so I think the answer is to do without, accept that fact, or don’t buy it. Like many extended/ altered bungalows the layout has its drawbacks, you have to take all factors into account when deciding to buy. Personally I would never get rid of a bath in a property but lack of a bath wouldn’t stop me buying if the property in question had sufficient advantages.

Straightforward decision analysis needed, does the property have sufficient advantages to be worth buying. Buy with your head not your heart.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

Ban them, totally unnecessary and a significant fire risk.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Buy with your head not your heart.
    So without the wife’s input then!

Although to be fair Paul, I’ve bought plenty of houses with my head but only two homes with my heart. We’ve been in our current place for fifteen years and will probably be moving in the near future for various reasons. It will be a wrench to go and almost impossible to find anything else that has so few compromises.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 19th April 2023 at 10:01.

Grand Master
    It's almost impossible to find the perfect house, or if you do it isn`t for sale.

Ironically the most important purchase most of us make is always going to involve compromise.

I would definitely work through a decision analysis, make a list of 'must haves' and if it fails on any it's the wrong house. A bath wouldn't be on that list for me. Trying to apply a level of objectivity to subjective judgement is never easy but it helps to arrive at a decision which is likely to prove correct.

At the risk of being overtly sexist, it doesn`t help when a woman is involved, generally they have a tendency to make emotive decisions and hang on to their own ideas even though the idea doesn`t stand up to rigorous scrutiny.

What troubles me about this floorplan is the length of the bedrooms and the lack of window area, to a lesser extent I have this issue with my recently completed bungalow extension, our main bedroom is narrower than I`d like and has only one window at the end. It's possible that side windows weren't allowed in the planning application, windows into bedrooms can be tricky. Lack of a decent storage cupboard is another point I`ve noted, we designed one into our bungalow and it's proved to be a good decision, it may sound mundane but you do need somewhere to store the ironing board, vacuum cleaner etc. My bungalow isn`t perfect, but within the constraints of the original design I think we came up with the best solutions when extending. We scrapped our original plan because it would've proved far more expensive and created as many issues at it solved, we both agreed on that, but wifey still natters about how she would've liked a big kitchen/diner at the back overlooking the garden!

Finally, back to baths. We ended up buying a bath that's too big (not my choice), consequently it takes several minutes to fill (30kw combi boiler) and I don`t like to think of the cost involved. Much as I like a soak in the bath it's become a luxury thesedays!

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    If you're thinking of removing the shower and replcing it with a bath, but space is an issue, you might consider going down the road of a Japanese style soak bath. I had one installed in my previous house and it was perfect. Something like this https://www.cabuchon.com/deep-soaking-bath-tubs/

In the west we are used to having long, shallow baths, but when you get used to it, a depeer bath that you sit down into, rather than lie in, makes more sense. In your situation, if you decide to remodel the bathroom, this might be the solution?
    This would appear to be the ideal solution. I'd not think further if I were to proceed with the bath installation.

The layout would drive me nuts - having to go into the main entrance hall to get to the 'family' bath (shower) room and toilet...trouble is, where else could the bathroom go where it would be accessible to all occupants?
    My first house was a typical two up two down with the bathroom tacked on the end, off the kitchen - not ideal but at least it was not next to the front door.
    As for the shower/bath question, if it was my house I most definitely would not rip out that ensuite shower...

edit - at my age I would also start considering ease of access and that shower looks almost step-free.
    Last edited by Stanford; 19th April 2023 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    The layout would drive me nuts - having to go into the main entrance hall to get to the 'family' bath (shower) room and toilet...trouble is, where else could the bathroom go where it would be accessible to all occupants?
    My first house was a typical two up two down with the bathroom tacked on the end, off the kitchen - not ideal but at least it was not next to the front door.
    As for the shower/bath question, if it was my house I most definitely would not rip out that ensuite shower...

edit - at my age I would also start considering ease of access and that shower looks almost step-free.
    Don't see the problem with bathroom where it is. Far preferable to having to go through a kitchen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This would appear to be the ideal solution. I'd not think further if I were to proceed with the bath installation.
    I quite like the idea of a deep bath like that, much more comfortable I think.

What about turning bedroom #1 into her spa room. All the plumbing is there. Makeup table. It's the smallest of the bedrooms

On that toilet in the main bathroom. How big is that thing? It looks large enough to be a bath on it's own. Did the previous owners take elephant sized dumps in that?

Well, we weighed up the pros and cons and have decided to leave this one.

For me it had too much needing doing to make it right for us.
    My OH wants a bath so we would have had to look at doing that and installing a dishwasher asap and a few other things my OH wanted.

Such a shame, the sellers have spent a hell of a lot of money and it really was nicely redeveloped but the final straw is the trees which are about 20 metres deep out the back attract the kids (we’ve noticed them playing right up against the fence when walking the dog on a night) and the cost of a loft conversion would make this impractical as you’d never get your money back on it.

Thanks for all the input, it did help and make us see sense that we should just wait for something more suited to us to come up, I.e a detached house instead of a bungalow.

Last edited by Martylaa; 21st April 2023 at 18:06.

I used to have a sitting bath in a rental apartment in my youth. I found myself using it the wrong way round with my arse in the deepest section and legs crossed in the shallow section. A lot better to lie down like that as opposed to sitting in a bath. Sitting in a bath is just plain wrong.