closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftershave price!!!

Master
    Blog Entries

Aftershave price!!!

Was walking through Edinburgh last week and strolled into Harvey Nicks.

Saw a row of gents smelly stuff called Creed. All bottles bolted to display rack.

Did the cheap skate thing and sprayed a couple of blasts on each wrist.

Got home and wee granddaughter asked the question that only small humans can, “Granddad, what’s that smell?”

After checking I hadn’t had an accident, (you may know these things can happen as you get older), I realised it was the pongo stuff my little darling meant.

She was NOT IMPRESSED. Then I checked the price of the stuff. Holy shit! £250 for a bottle of pong! Whatever happened to Blue Stratos, Brut, Old Spice and Hai Karate at a couple of quid.

I bet there are a few on here wear Creed!!!

Convince me it’s worth it and smells better than ‘a little accident!’

Jim

No. Keep smelling of shit, it's cheaper.

Craftsman
    I can’t because it doesn’t.

Im sure Creed are making a fortune knowing they can literally sell anything because it’s all about the brand.

Sounds familiar?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

It won’t be long before you’ll have to go on a waiting list to buy it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Thanks for that morning giggle.

Master
    Avoid the Tom Ford section then. Selfridges genuinely expected me to part with 700 notes for a bottle of "F**king Fabulous".

The lady was not impressed when I told her the card she had liberally sprayed with said pong would last me at least a week if wiped sparingly.

*Edit* there is obviously a middle ground though, my auntie gave me a bottle of Versace Blue Jeans at Christmas because apparently my Dad liked to wear it. He was notoriously cheap and generally smelled like a tarts handbag.
    Last edited by kevkojak; 15th April 2023 at 09:40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What gets me with modern scents are the random adverts. I have no idea about marketing but I just don’t get them

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s the plan UA. Either that or sulphur 🤪🤪

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    What gets me with modern scents are the random adverts. I have no idea about marketing but I just don’t get them
    Have a watch of the Ginsters sketch by Lee Mack😁

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Avoid the Tom Ford section then. Selfridges genuinely expected me to part with 700 notes for a bottle of "F**king Fabulous".

The lady was not impressed when I told her the card she had liberally sprayed with said pong would last me at least a week if wiped sparingly.

*Edit* there is obviously a middle ground though, my auntie gave me a bottle of Versace Blue Jeans at Christmas because apparently my Dad liked to wear it. He was notoriously cheap and generally smelled like a tarts handbag.
    Nowt wrong with a Versace BJ - as it were.

J

Fake smellies are available, I hear.

I never use the stuff. There's nothing worse than being stuck on the tube or bus next to someone who's doused themselves in what I can only assume they think is fanny magnet. It's on the same scale as persistently floating stinky air biscuits. Cretins.

I bought a bottle of Aventus over four years ago, it was than £250 from John Lewis, in the St. James' Center, the old one. I'm surprised it's not gone up in price since then, unlike our watches.
    Would I buy it again, no, I no longer have that level of disposable income and I still have half the bottle remaining, as I keep it for special occasions. It has been commented favourably on though by the ladies, sadly just me Mum and a friend's wife, which I suppose doesn't really count.

Personally I prefer Polo blue, and yes you can still get Blue Stratos and Kouros if you want the smells of the 70s.

Man who doesn't like perfume thinks that perfume is too expensive.

Master
    My lad uses the Creed Ventus I think. According to him it's so expensive because it contains whale vomit, which for me is a reason not to wear it.
    Just seen this, you decide;
    "Ambergris is one of the most sought-after ingredients in perfumery, fetching anything from $100 000 upwards for 1,5kg of the precious stuff. Contrary to popular belief, ambergris is not sperm whale vomit. It’s a by-product of the sperm whale’s digestive system and is excreted by these creatures. This may float in the ocean for decades before being washed up on the shore in solid form. It then becomes highly prized by perfumers for its musky (some would say fishy) quality".

if you like creed aventus but not the price try Armaf Club De Nuit Intense Man , some of the clone perfumes these days are good enough that its pointless buying the original.

I've never knowingly smelt Creed but after the colourful mentions on here I don't think I'd bother.

If it's alright for 'Enery!

Cheers,
    Neil.

Surprised there's not been a half used bottle up for sale on SC!

Over priced nonsense but capitalism innit

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Nothing wrong with Old Spice. About £8 off Amazon and does the job (more or less)

There's a vast array of overpriced goods available, including watches. As with anything, there are cheaper options available which are just as good. You can still pick up Old Spice, albeit closer to £10 now - might help cover up that 'little accident' aroma.

Master
    I’ve got a few creeds aventus/silver mountain water/green Irish tweed/ mrs bought me royal oud at Xmas and I’ve just bought a bottle of Viking that was half price a lot cheaper than collecting watches for me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I’ve got a few creeds aventus/silver mountain water/green Irish tweed/ mrs bought me royal oud at Xmas and I’ve just bought a bottle of Viking that was half price a lot cheaper than collecting watches for me anyway
    Half price? Do tell where from?

Royal Oud & Bois du Portugal my current favourites!

I'm totally shocked !!!!

You've started shaving !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Half price? Do tell where from?

Royal Oud & Bois du Portugal my current favourites!
    Notino don’t know if it gone back up

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'm totally shocked !!!!

You've started shaving !
    I have Al. But guess where 🤪🤪

Amuses me the price difference between the new/fashionable smellies vs the use-to-be fashionable smellies. I love an occasional splash of Aramis, Kouros, Paco Rabanne, Drakkar Noir or CK One - takes me right back to my youth.

The Creed selection is lovely. The Creed Aventus is one of my favourites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would never use any smellies. I even prefer unscented soap and deodorant.

Can’t stand a bloke walking past with a trail of some sh1te odour in his wake.

Fooking baffles me why someone wants to scent themselves whether it is Old Spice or Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Would never use any smellies. ...
    This, combined with you having sold your last Tag - all the more reason for loose TAG from your username.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Would never use any smellies. I even prefer unscented soap and deodorant.

Can’t stand a bloke walking past with a trail of some sh1te odour in his wake.

Fooking baffles me why someone wants to scent themselves whether it is Old Spice or Creed.
    He probably hasn't perfumed himself for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Amuses me the price difference between the new/fashionable smellies vs the use-to-be fashionable smellies. I love an occasional splash of Aramis, Kouros, Paco Rabanne, Drakkar Noir or CK One - takes me right back to my youth.
    I have about 4 bottles left of the old school Xeryus Rouge, before they watered it down / ruined it.

Was 'my' scent from Uni 27 years ago, and the ladies loved it lol, sniffing me in the lunch queue.

Doesn't happen any more though when I wear it.

Happy days!

Hey Jim,

No need to pay a king's ransom for a soothing after shave with a masculine but muted scent. I've been using this Gillete gel for 15 years with full satisfaction.

Tom

I have re-read this thread several times, and have decided that a marketing opportunity exists.
    To cater for a minority but numerous body of potential purchasers, may I suggest that we market a new fragrance - "JimmcB's No. 2".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I have about 4 bottles left of the old school Xeryus Rouge, before they watered it down / ruined it.

Was 'my' scent from Uni 27 years ago, and the ladies loved it lol, sniffing me in the lunch queue.

Doesn't happen any more though when I wear it.

Happy days!
    I had that many years back. Wish I still had some (not just for the ladies sniffing me, but I do recall that happening) 😂

Master
    Ryan air have some exclusives, Ralph Lauren Big Pony Man is very reasonable.

Amouage Honour is £128 100ml at all beauty.com. It is £320 everywhere else I think.

Still got 2 bottles from this very forum

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have re-read this thread several times, and have decided that a marketing opportunity exists.
    To cater for a minority but numerous body of potential purchasers, may I suggest that we market a new fragrance - "JimmcB's No. 2".
    PMSL

That fragrance would be a lot of sh1t 🤪🫣

Master
    Huge Creed Aventus fan here. It’s cheaper if you buy the bigger bottles :-)

I don’t use scented shower gel or deodorant but I just love Aventus.

My kids (4&5) already know it as “Dads smell” and I think there’s something nice in that. That, and the fact I love it, mean I’ll be wearing it as long as they’re making it

What's also interesting is the lack of objective connection between the scent and the price.

That's not the same for most veblen goods... watches have more complications, deeper WR, precious metals... etc

I was unpacking my late father's house a few weeks ago and he had a bottle of aftershave, a brand I hadn't heard of before.

I stuck it in my bag, better than throwing it away, googled it and it's £200 a bottle! I would have had no idea simply by smelling it

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

The pricing on mainstream stuff like Creed is all about marketing. The ingredients cost pennies. For example, there's little or no ambergris in Aventus and there's no oud in any Tom Ford or Dior fragrance. It's impossible. The materials are too rare and too variable in profile.

With small artisanal producers the ingredients are more related to the cost of the ingredients and the time and expertise invested to produce - but then things start to get really expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Fake smellies are available, I hear.

I never use the stuff. There's nothing worse than being stuck on the tube or bus next to someone who's doused themselves in what I can only assume they think is fanny magnet. It's on the same scale as persistently floating stinky air biscuits. Cretins.
    I would rather stand on the tube next to someone who smells of aftershave than BO or worse.
    There are a few potent smellies out at the movement that can be eye watering if applied too liberally. A little dab will do you.
    I wear aftershave everyday even though I have a beard.
    The Mrs likes it, I like it.
    I prefer a fresher scent over highly perfumed.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th April 2023 at 13:05.

A true man only smells of one thing... Swarfega

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    A true man only smells of one thing... Smegma
    FTFY

Master
    I’ve got drawers of the stuff as working from home I rarely bother with it. Seems overkill when wearing a hoodie and joggers.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Ryan air have some exclusives, Ralph Lauren Big Pony Man is very reasonable.
    If you have any idea about Cockney rhyming slang the name Big Pony Man is just hilarious.

Actually I'm just off for a big pony.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Come on then, do your worst and yes I smell like a right tart.

LOL

Pitch

my display resolution

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Huge Creed Aventus fan here. It’s cheaper if you buy the bigger bottles :-)

I don’t use scented shower gel or deodorant but I just love Aventus.

My kids (4&5) already know it as “Dads smell” and I think there’s something nice in that. That, and the fact I love it, mean I’ll be wearing it as long as they’re making it
    I’m the same with Green Irish Tweed. I know what you mean about the positive associations for my kids and I think that’s cute.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Come on then, do your worst and yes I smell like a right tart.

LOL

Pitch

my display resolution
    Could have guessed lol.

I have run out of the left and the right, but still have a lot of the middle bottle...clearly not my favourite on the 3.

Love Viking, wife not a fan vs Aventus. Our CEO wears Aventus daily, I have walked into a lift after him when I am not wearing it & damn it has a linger!

Master
    I'm not rich so creed is for special occasions but I do love the smell of Himalaya, and it lasts.
    For more day to day wear I stick with Bleu by channel, but a client at work has allergies to scents so if I'm going to be based at that site I can't wear anything.

Sent from my moto g53 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries