closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftershave price!!!

A former colleague who I would consider normally thrifty, was extolling the virtues of Creed Aventus. I always remember his explanation of how it left the ladies "frothing at the whizzbang".

Some time after, we were out for an evening in formal attire, with the wives. My own (normally stoic) wife gave said colleague a European hello and exclaimed "you smell f***ing amazing!". Out of character for her, I was non plussed . Later the same evening, whilst us gentlemen retired to "enjoy" the old C sticks outside, a younger (than us) lady leant in to get a light from the same colleague. I swear I heard a whimper and saw a visible shudder, where she then became a limpet until his own wife joined us, and shooed her away.

Not being interested in similar results, especially the attentions of my own wife, I tend to favour M&S' own Bergamot and Basil scent, which has a very similar musk, in my unsophisticated and untrained olfactory organs. Enough to enjoy personally, without unwanted bodies being thrown at me (either female, or their irate male owners).

Previously branded "Dermot O'Leary", still delivering its desired effect, of smelling slightly less like farts:

https://www.marksandspencer.com/wild.../p/hbp60502253

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I have about 4 bottles left of the old school Xeryus Rouge, before they watered it down / ruined it.

Was 'my' scent from Uni 27 years ago, and the ladies loved it lol, sniffing me in the lunch queue.

Doesn't happen any more though when I wear it.

Happy days!

Quorum was my Uni scent. Ladies loved it and apparently it contained pheromones as well.

😁👍👍😉
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    I have Creed Aventus and Tom Ford Ombré Leather - I think they both smell great also does my ‘friend’

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    A former colleague who I would consider normally thrifty, was extolling the virtues of Creed Aventus. I always remember his explanation of how it left the ladies "frothing at the whizzbang".
    Double LMFAO. Wear Creed and you’ll be beating them off with a sh1tty stick.

I think your former colleague is Finchy and I claim my five pounds.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I bloody LOVE Creed and have quite a stash of it for all seasons.
    Ive got Aventus, Santal, Erolfa, Royal Old and my absolute summer in a bottle favourite - Virgin Island Water.
    Also love Penhaligons but not a massive fan of Tom Ford which smells lovely on a tester strip but fades quickly in my experience. All skins are different tho so it probably lasts all day for some folk.

I think the "expensive" argument may well have some merit, but given that I dont drink or smoke (anymore) then I dont mind paying a bit more for something that makes me happy, so watches bags and perfumes it is then!

That Virgin Island Water is good stuff a heady mix of Coconut, Rum and lime very cleverly mixed together
    If you like it wear it .....

I am a fan as well. I like all the creeds but only a couple seem to last a long enough time to make them worth paying for- I love silver mountain water, for example, but it only lasts a few hours. Aventus keeps going forever and only needs a couple of squirts. My man maths head says that it works out somewhat economically for this reason

Yeah, but they’ve done studies you know? 60% of the time, it works every time.

If you know, you know…

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

If you know, you know…
    Wonderful.

How could Anchorman be wrong!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    It just isn’t the same, I’ve got aventus and aventus cologne and my colleagues bought this as a cheap alternative and it’s some way off the real deal.
    Creed Royal Mayfair was a big favourite of mine but doesn’t seem to be available these days sadly

Master
    My favourite house is probably Xerjoff. Also like Nishane and some of the cheaper stuff by Mancera is good too. I made the mistake of joining a couple of fragrance groups on Facebook and now have bottles everywhere...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    It just isn’t the same, I’ve got aventus and aventus cologne and my colleagues bought this as a cheap alternative and it’s some way off the real deal.
    Creed Royal Mayfair was a big favourite of mine but doesn’t seem to be available these days sadly
    Ii doesn;t smell exactly the same no, but it's a great fragrance in its own right, is a perfume rather than toilet water and lasts all day. For £7.

I wear it as a daily and save more expensive ones for when I'm out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    if you like creed aventus but not the price try Armaf Club De Nuit Intense Man , some of the clone perfumes these days are good enough that its pointless buying the original.
    I agree, my local chemist has a selection of ‘clones’ and the Creed is remarkably similar to the real deal, I’m sure the aficionados could identify the differences in the low bass notes of mahogany and balsa wood combined with the the fruity tones of Eastern coastal Cypriot Limes but for a £260 difference in price I’m prepared to put up with it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

If you know, you know…
    “It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.”

“How often does it work ?”

“every time,It's a formidable scent. It stings the nostrils. In a good way. 60% of the time, it works, every time.”

Master
    Just been back onto Basenotes for the first time in years.

Have decants been banned, my usual people all seem banned & cannot see why?

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Surprised there's not been a half used bottle up for sale on SC!

Over priced nonsense but capitalism innit

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Actually........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Actually........
    Lol, how you doing? Not noticed you posting a while.

Master

Sorry for the multi quotes!

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    if you like creed aventus but not the price try Armaf Club De Nuit Intense Man , some of the clone perfumes these days are good enough that its pointless buying the original.
    Still yet to try CDN, but not found any of the clones to be as good - perhaps this is the one?

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I had that many years back. Wish I still had some (not just for the ladies sniffing me, but I do recall that happening) 
    Compared to the way the other classics have been watered down / changed, the new stuff isn't all that bad to be honest. I was just lucky a few years back finding some NOS kicking around in a stockroom when doing another project. Bonus was that I also got 40% discount from the store as I was working for HQ, closest I will get to my millionaire barn find lol. I have a few blank tester sprays, pm me if you want a few ml to re-live your youth & will post you some.

Ordered out of curiosity. Lacking so much depth vs Aventus unfortunately given the price, then what was I expecting from an aerosol can!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Quorum was my Uni scent. Ladies loved it and apparently it contained pheromones as well.


    https://www.savers.co.uk/perfume/For...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Under a tenner at Savers now lol, you could bathe in the stuff! I have never heard of it, but may have to get a bottle; clearly the pheromones these days will have been replaced with goat ones or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    I have Creed on one wrist, that on the other....am hoping one wrist I get anosmia to one wrist soon lol. All I am getting is pineapple pushed (or thrown!) at me, but think it is the lack of bergamot / moss creating the lack of anything deep about it. I guess it is the same old thing; if you enjoy something, and it makes you happy, buy what you want. I could probably have bought another 50ml decant for the money I spent on 'things that smell like it'. Not sure it can be matched.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 19th April 2023 at 19:58.

Lol, how you doing? Not noticed you posting a while.
    Well you know what they say, 'a whale only gets harpooned when it spouts'

Master
    Well you know what they say, 'a whale only gets harpooned when it spouts'
    You could become a motivational speaker!

You could become a motivational speaker!
    Hmmm, not sure about that but I do have lots of those ‘pearls’ of wisdom
    Mind you you know what pearls are don’t you? And I’m certainly full of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post

Some time after, we were out for an evening in formal attire, with the wives. My own (normally stoic) wife gave said colleague a European hello and exclaimed "you smell f***ing amazing!". Out of character for her, I was non plussed . Later the same evening, whilst us gentlemen retired to "enjoy" the old C sticks outside, a younger (than us) lady leant in to get a light from the same colleague. I swear I heard a whimper and saw a visible shudder, where she then became a limpet until his own wife joined us, and shooed her away.
    I can vouch for this.

I wear Aventus on nights out ( its too strong for a day scent) but to all them men who say it's nothing special a hint ....its not for you...its for the ladies.
    Its powers are not exaggerated , one night in a Nando's in Leicester I was bodily hauled across the order counter by a female server who frantically sniffed me and yelled "What the EF are you wearing!!!!"
    True story , and there have been plenty of other incidents over the years . The copycat scents are lacking longevity and dry down evolution . I tried one and it was similar for about 3 minutes then dried down to carpet cleaner.

Aventus does garner compliments but I'd never wear it during the day or in a meeting . I prefer Green Irish Tweed during the day but it is decidedly mossy which I suspect is the point.
    Viking is awful I think .
    Virgin Island Water is a very nice summer scent , fruity coconut and definitely something a man or woman can wear.
    Tom Ford ...vastly over rated ...Tuscan Leather smells like a stubbed out cigar ( and I like cigars) and you can smell it from a mile off which is admittedly impressive but I could say similar about burning tyres.

Cheapo ones :

Boss bottled is generally a safe favourable scent the ladies like thats not lacking a little sophistication.
    Aqua de colonia is cheap as chips but does smell slightly like windowlene and is very lemony , it is lovely splashed on after a good shave on a summer's day.

Weird one
    Molecule 01 , this is pretty much "Iso E Super" which is a synthetic perfume used in many things from laundry softeners to high end scents , it is very strange in that it smells utterly delicious on your own skin to you but smells equally delicious but totally different on other people and quickly fades , other people then either don't notice it or go bonkers for it even if you can't smell it , the main ingredient Iso E Super is probably the base on many cheap scents as its about 50p for a swimming pool full.

but again ...do not mock the Aventus ...it is mighty

I agree it is stunning and does get compliments ..but i have found Dior Homme intense is just as popular with the ladies, mind you your scent may get them Fizzing at the Bung Hole ( my original saying on a Aftershave thread here )
    But if you have a face like a Bulldog licking the piss off a Thistle
    Doesn't really matter what your wearing....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    I agree it is stunning and does get compliments ..but i have found Dior Homme intense is just as popular with the ladies, mind you your scent may get them Fizzing at the Bung Hole ( my original saying on a Aftershave thread here )
    But if you have a face like a Bulldog licking the piss off a Thistle
    Doesn't really matter what your wearing....
    I will give it a go on your recommendation next time I’m in Nando’s especially.

In my experience women are not too interested in men’s looks unless you chart on extreme areas of the spectrum… bizarrely both ends are advantageous! Don’t be in the middle bland zone .

Master
    Is Wintergreen still in fashion? Always had plenty room on a crowded bus/train, and kept me warm in winter.

Been using it for years! My partner likes it better than Mont Blanc Explorer £13/14 a bottle. If you like Creed Aventus you’d be mad not to try Victor No9.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Aftershave price!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Been using it for years! My partner likes it better than Mont Blanc Explorer £13/14 a bottle. If you like Creed Aventus you’d be mad not to try Victor No9.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Genuine question - is it supposed to smell of pineapple? I bought some having read this thread and thought it was awful - I’ve never tried Creed Aventus - but this actually gave me a headache and made me feel nauseous, so synthetic. It’s now in the bin. I wear a scent daily and have a few Tom Ford, Hermes and Acqua di Parma bottles on the go - but I’ve never had a scent actually make me feel ill!?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Is Wintergreen still in fashion? Always had plenty room on a crowded bus/train, and kept me warm in winter.
    Aye, only on football days when a Mikasa was the ball of choice. Horrid things!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    A nice rub down with deep heat can’t be beaten. Dab a little behind your ears and no woman can resist.

Master
    I think this was the priciest aftershave I’ve bought. I did get a free watch with it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I think this was the priciest aftershave I’ve bought. I did get a free watch with it though!

Curious how that smells?
    i.e. Is it fresh and kind of 'old school' or sweet and modern?

Master
    Curious how that smells?
    i.e. Is it fresh and kind of 'old school' or sweet and modern?
    I’m no expert but I would say the later of those 2. It’s almost floral but not overly so. My wife loves when I wear it and it lasts forever without changing note, easily as long as Creed.

I would suggest that if it was in production for general sale it would be around £150-£200 price range as it does genuinely smell ‘expensive’.

Would Aventus be too dangerous in Tesco? Might have to try it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Would Aventus be too dangerous in Tesco? Might have to try it.

I’m no expert but I would say the later of those 2. It’s almost floral but not overly so. My wife loves when I wear it and it lasts forever without changing note, easily as long as Creed.

I would suggest that if it was in production for general sale it would be around £150-£200 price range as it does genuinely smell ‘expensive’.
    Interesting, thanks.
    It’s on eBay and a few places online for around £99.
    Can’t vouch for authenticity though and £100 is too much for a blind buy even if it were genuine.

Master
    Interesting, thanks.
    It’s on eBay and a few places online for around £99.
    Can’t vouch for authenticity though and £100 is too much for a blind buy even if it were genuine.
    I’ve not seen the men’s at that price anywhere but if I did I think I would invest. Totally agree though, too much to buy blind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Genuine question - is it supposed to smell of pineapple? I bought some having read this thread and thought it was awful - I’ve never tried Creed Aventus - but this actually gave me a headache and made me feel nauseous, so synthetic. It’s now in the bin. I wear a scent daily and have a few Tom Ford, Hermes and Acqua di Parma bottles on the go - but I’ve never had a scent actually make me feel ill!?!
    Pineapple is a clear top note with Aventus, agree with you that this smells very synthetic though. Will put one on each wrist over the weekend and see which the wife prefers, as ultimately I won’t be able to smell much once I’ve had it on a while.

Big fan of Viking here too as it’s just so different to anything out there that I’ve found so far.

Master
    Tom Ford Oud Minerale is my absolute favourite and lasts and smells better then Aventus, and gets more comments from curious admirers.
    I think it’s discontinued from their range now though, which is a shame.

I’ve not seen the men’s at that price anywhere but if I did I think I would invest. Totally agree though, too much to buy blind.
    Ah, my bad.
    Just checked and it's the women's 'Pour Femme' bottle on eBay for £99.
    Should've read it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Tom Ford Oud Minerale is my absolute favourite and lasts and smells better then Aventus, and gets more comments from curious admirers.
    I think it’s discontinued from their range now though, which is a shame.
    I have a sample of this but just can't get on with it.
    It smells really bitter, sour and rank on my skin. Like rotting seaweed. I can't even finish the sample.
    Just goes to show that body chemistry can make all the difference. No such thing as a crap fragrance, just the wrong one for you.
    Like shoes (even pre-owned ones) it doesn't matter how well made they are, if they don't fit they don't fit.

Master
    I've bought a few of the smells like brands that try to broadly replicate Creed style.

One was al dur al maknoon silver at £14 for 100ml, and the other montblanc explorer at £50 for 100ml.

Both smell v nice and are much better value than creed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Cread I imagine is probably bought more of a present by people with no imagination. That's expensive they will like that

A little effort goes further than spending more money in my opinion

I was told about Victor by Milton Lloyd by this forum. It was £10 for 83ml at the time. I used to squirt up on Creed in John Lewis at lunchtime at work. My partner said its too over baring. My female office colleagues said the same. When I tried wearing the Victor I got compliments all round. Its not heavy but lasts all day. My daughters buy me more expensive colognes but the Victor gets used everyday. I think it has the good bits of Creed without the Joop I’m here announcement!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Still yet to try CDN, but not found any of the clones to be as good - perhaps this is the one?
    CDN can smell a bit harsh on the opening but soon settles down, it lasts all day on me and for the price of 100ml its a no brainer.

Craftsman
    I had a similar experience, I bought some based on this thread, given it was £7, and find it quite deeply unpleasant, personally. It does make me feel a bit nauseous as well, heavy, sweet and something odd / synthetic in there that reminds me of loo sprays. Each to their own of course.

For what it's worth, I'm not generally a fan of most men's fragrances, and have one go-to, Guerlain Vetiver. It certainly used to be pretty cheap, I recall paying £30 / 100ml in the not too distant past, but it seems to have gone up enormously since I last bought a 200ml bottle (still going strong).

https://www.johnlewis.com/guerlain-v...100ml/p6240275

Master
    Mancera - Red Tobacco is my favourite scent.

It’s an absolute powerhouse and 1 spray is all that’s needed and will last 72 hours ( seriously ).

Virtually every new person I meet comments on how nice I smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley also do a range of aftershaves
    The Bentley for Men and the Intense are very good strong Rum and old school smell , £30 for 100ml as well
    The intense is classed as Beast Mode which lasts over 8/ 10 hrs

Master
    Old thread, but I seem to be target market for Facebook free samples.

Previously had Aventus sample as a freebie, then some YSL which was average, some other one I’ve not used yet, a Gucci one at the weekend and now another Aventus.

The repeat Aventus was a surprise one as thought their CRM would be more advanced than to allow a repeat trial.

I’ve no idea why I keep getting them, none of my friends or family are, and similar ages / lifestyle!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don’t knock it and enjoy the aroma.

Hope you’re safe and well

Jim